Prologue

Can You See Me?

“It doesn’t matter, as long as they fit,” the new kid in Sunday school shrugs to Wendy’s question about why her socks do not match.

“I’m Jennie,” the new kid smiles. “My nickname is Kitty because I like cats. But I like dogs too. What’s your name?”

“My name is Wendy,” she answers, brow still furrowed at blue and pink. “Why did your mom pick not-matching socks for you to wear, Jennie?”

“Mama didn’t pick these. I did,” Jennie says proudly.

“My mom wouldn’t let me out with mismatched socks. She says it’s not proper”

“Well, I wear ‘proper’ socks like yours too,” Jennie looks down and motions to her pair of ankle-high white ruffle socks. “Sometimes.”

“When your mama makes you wear them?”

“No, when I feel like it. But I wanted blue AND pink socks today.”

“My mom says kids don’t know what they want.”

“But I do. Don’t you?”

“I don’t know.”

“Hmm…” Jennie pauses. “Do you wanna be my friend?”

Wendy’s mom always tells her she should make friends— Christian friends. Because it’s good to surround yourself with good people. They bring you closer to God.

Maybe her mom won’t mind that Jennie wears ‘not proper’ socks sometimes.

“Yes.”

Jennie’s face lights up. “See! You know what you want.” She reaches for Wendy’s hand and intertwines their fingers.

“They fit,” little Jennie smiles.