in colour

in colour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

All her life Seulgi has had chromesthesia, a sound to colour type of synesthesia, seeing colours when others simply hear sounds.

Most of her days are simply black, white and grey just like the rest of us. But sometimes with certain sounds, she’ll see colours. For even the slightest of sounds, a matching colour will come to view, flowing as shapes in the direction of the audio. 

The loud raindrops fall with sharp blue triangles, as the harsh winds rage in a swirl of greyish purple. Pounding footsteps stride in balls of dark, almost black, brown, while the sound of laughing bellows with thundering yellow.

Perhaps the worst part of her condition is her inability to listen to music. Well not so much an inability, but rather a preference to avoid it. Without saying, music can often be an ugly mixture of too many colours that only serve to hurt her head and skew her vision. Some songs are soothing, like how acoustic piano pieces come to her with winds of toasty orange or how R&B songs cloud her vision with hues of soft red and blue. But other types almost overheat her brain, like the piercing navy zigzags of jazzy woodwinds and don’t get her started on the staining mess of heavy metal’s violent pitch black and blood red.

Nonetheless, not all sounds are disturbing. Seulgi has encountered some that have come close to being beautiful, but none have ever never truly reached it. 

Like the family trip to the beach she had when she was younger. As the waves slowly approached the sand, as did a soothing ripple of warm yellow and cool blue, a blend she never thought could be so aesthetic. But it soon passed as fast as it came and she never saw such beauty ever again.

As so she lives

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter