prologue

i want peace (but i need war)

TW / violence, police killings
 


 

It starts with a bang. No, not the universe - well, technically, yes, the universe. But also this. 

 

This entire mess. 

 

Kim Taeyeon will tell you that at first, it seemed like any other day. She’s in school, trying not to fall asleep in math class by figuring out what setlist they should perform for the glee club’s concert towards the end of the year. Behind her, she can hear Tiffany and Jessica arguing (or as they claim, having a “healthy debate”) over a cheer routine or a song or one thing or the other, but she’s so used to it, she tunes it out without any effort at all. 

When the bell rings for lunch, they rush out to meet the rest of their friends in their favorite spot on the field, the same spot they’ve been going to since the first day of high school. It’s so normal that some would call the scene boring. She lays her head on Tiffany’s lap, and she ignores the smug look on Sooyoung’s face when she spots them. Taeyeon rolls her eyes and notes that it was definitely a mistake to tell Sooyoung about her growing crush on their friend. Hyoyeon, on the other hand, flings a grape at her and laughs when Taeyeon finally sits up, her hair a mess and her face as red as a tomato as she scolds her. Although she hasn’t told Hyoyeon yet about her feelings, Sooyoung did warn her with, “Please, everyone knows except Tiffany. You’re not exactly as subtle as you think you are.”

But the act is so Hyoyeon, so typical, that really, this was literally a very mundane day in the life of sixteen-year-old Kim Taeyeon.

But then, the boring, oh-so-normal and oh-so-typical day turns dark.

 

Literally. 

 

The bright noontime sun is suddenly shrouded in complete darkness before a flurry of things happen all at once. Rain begins to pour, followed by hail and ice, and lightning starts to flash and serves as their only source of light. It’s followed by a clap of thunder so loud that Taeyeon fears she’s about to go deaf. The ice continues to plummet around them as they run towards shelter, causing small wounds across their arms and as the wind picks up to an alarming level, the nine girls quickly form a chain in order to prevent one of them from flying off. They hear a scream, but it’s still so dark there’s no way to tell who it is or where it’s coming from. Taeyeon knows it’s selfish of her, but as long as it’s not any of her friends, she doesn’t linger on the thought much longer.

They manage to get inside the school’s gymnasium, locking themselves in and everyone muttering some variation of, “What the ?” or “What the hell was that?” as they use their phones as flashlights to assess themselves. There’s a bit of blood on everyone, Sunny has a gash on her cheek from a particularly huge piece of ice that another one of their friend’s is already cleaning, but other than that, everyone seems to be more or less okay. 

 

A bit shaken up, but okay.

 

That is, until Seohyun calls out to them and points to the windows above the bleachers. They run up the steps to watch as the building right across their school begins to glow. They watch in awe as they realize how the ice seems to be aiming for the building, and yet, the windows stay standing. They watch as leaves all swirl around it, and how the lightning seems to be absorbed as soon as it hits the building.  

Logically, Taeyeon knows she should step away. But the sight is utterly mesmerizing. The ice, the rain, the wind and even the thunder and lighting die down but the light continues to glow. At first, it’s a gentle white light, but slowly, colors begin to appear and the colors shift, and sway, and the light extends far enough to reach their little gymnasium hideout. On the gymnasium walls, the colors dance with the shadows. (But to be honest, to Taeyeon, it looked like they were fighting.) 

 

Without warning, the light goes out and they’re shrouded in darkness once more.

 

And then, bang

 

The light is blinding, and the impact rings in their ears as all nine girls are sent flying backwards, slamming against the opposite wall. Taeyeon thinks she can hear her bones break as she slams against a score board and falls a couple of feet to the ground. She sees the window’s glass pierce Seohyun’s chest. Yuri, who was standing behind the rest of the group, takes most of the impact as Jessica and Sooyoung land on her, and for a second, Taeyeon swears she sees the younger girl’s arm go a whole other direction. They scramble to their feet as soon as they can, the air filled with even more panic and chaos as they hear their fellow classmates and teachers all screaming in the distance, sirens blaring all around them. 

 

Then, they realize something.

 

Despite the blood, despite their cuts, their gashes, despite what Taeyeon thought about her bones breaking, about Seohyun possibly bleeding out, or Yuri’s arm dislocating, or anything close to an injury, they are suddenly left completely unharmed. 

 

Because you see, just like the Big Bang created life on earth, this bang created something… else. 

 

Sunny touches her cheek, her gash now fully healed and the only evidence of it ever existing is the dried blood on her shirt. The group turns to Seohyun, who is pulling out a shard of glass from the middle of her ribcage, she winces but all she says is, “I’m cold.” 

“What the hell is that?!”  

“What’s going on?” Yoona asks. “How is that possible?” 

“It’s just the adrenaline. It’s got to be, right?” Jessica answers and the group nods reluctantly in an effort to bring some sense into what’s been happening.

But, the excuse barely lasts a minute because next thing they know, Sooyoung lifts an entire section of the bleachers on her own, in search of her phone. 

The glass in Seohyun’s hand turns into ice and she crushes it with ease. Flight. Shapeshifting. Light. Taeyeon stares as her friends develop new powers. (Skills? Curses? Blessings? What was it, really?) And she watches in horror as fire emerges from the tips of her fingers before engulfing her entire hand. 

Someone teases, “I told you you were hot, unnie!”

“Fany! F-fany! Help, I can’t stop it!” Normally, when she panics, Tiffany would be by her side in an instant to hold her hand, but now that it was literally on fire, well, that was out of the question. 

“Taeyeon, hey, hey. Look at me please.” Tiffany says, and she flashes Taeyeon the prettiest smile when their eyes meet. “Okay, look at me. Look at how I’m breathing. Now, you do the same, okay? We’ll do it together. Take a deep breath. Come on, keep breathing slowly. Nice and slow. Okay, good, good. Whatever it is, we’ll figure it out together, okay?”

Taeyeon focuses on the sweet calming sound of her voice, focused on the up and down motions of her hands and does as she’s told until thankfully, the flames go away. 

 

“I don’t think it’s safe for us to be here anymore,” Hyoyeon says, taking a peek outside. 

“Should we go to the police for help?” Yoona asks. 

“Yoona… I don’t think that’s a good idea.” This time it’s Sooyoung that replies, and she places her phone in the middle for everyone to see. On it plays a video with a young man in the middle of the road, probably a college student based on his sweater and backpack, and his hands on fire just like Taeyeon’s were a moment ago. The police have their guns aimed at him, ordering him to put it out, but he can’t, he tells them he can’t and he’s begging for help, he’s asking for water, for anything to make it stop and tears are streaming down his face.

 

They shoot him dead. 

 

Another video plays after that. It’s all the same. Video after video, people being killed or thrown into armored trucks. When their youngest begins to sob, they all rush to comfort her, and somehow, they end up in one big group hug. Quiet, except for crying that’s now coming from more than just Seohyun. 

Taeyeon looks at her friends one by one and when she meets eyes with Jessica, they share a look of understanding. “Hyoyeon’s still right. It’s not safe for us to just stay here. Someone’s going to find us eventually and we may not like who it’ll be. I think… I think we have to leave. Leave the city, if we can. We need to be careful about it though. We have to be smart.”

“My family has a place outside the city. It’s where my grandparents used to live… definitely rural… more farm than anything else...” Sunny offers, “It might be a safer option right now.”

“My family’s got the van.” Jessica says. “I- I think dad will understand if we take it.” 

Sooyoung raises her hand, “We can’t just leave our families behind! What if they have powers too? They’ll all be in danger!” 

“Simple. They come with us.” Yuri answers.

Taeyeon shakes her head, “That’s too many people. We’ll get caught.” 

“I can’t leave Krystal behind… and I know Krystal won’t leave her friends behind either.” 

“Tae, we can’t just save ourselves… it can’t just be us. We… can’t be this selfish.” Tiffany says. 

“Fine. Bring whoever, but only those with… whatever this is. The bigger our group gets, the bigger risk we’re taking. Is that understood?” Taeyeon waits for each of her friends to give her a thumbs up. “Then it’s settled. Let’s meet up again tonight by Sunny’s place. Get everything you need, clothes, food, money but pack light. Does anyone have any questions? Okay, good. Stay low, don’t go alone, and I’ll see you guys in a couple of hours.”

 

The group disperses quickly, and Taeyeon and Tiffany are standing outside the latter’s apartment when Tiffany says, “I’m not going with you.”

“Fany, what are you talking about? Of course you are! We have to get to safety-” 

“I… I don’t have any powers. I didn’t know how to tell you earlier. But… nothing happened to me.” 

“But-” 

“No buts.” Tiffany says, trying to force a smile. “Plus, you said it yourself, the bigger our group gets, the bigger the risk. I’m going to be a liability.” 

Taeyeon turns her head away and bites her tongue to prevent herself from arguing back. She knows Tiffany is right… she said those words herself but… How can she go at it without Tiffany? How will she survive not knowing how TIffany is? If she’s safe? If she’s happy? They’ve never been apart… but the fact that this might be the last time she’ll see her… 

 

The singer is so absorbed in her thoughts she doesn’t notice that Tiffany has already opened the apartment door and headed inside but she’s not too absorbed to miss Tiffany’s scream. She runs in to follow her best friend’s voice only to be greeted by a ransacked apartment and a now-frantic Tiffany running around. “Mom??? Mom! Where are you?? Mom, this isn’t funny! Mom, it’s me, you’re okay!! MOM!!!” 

“I’m calling her phone!” Taeyeon shouts, and she feels her heart plummet as Tiffany emerges from her mother’s room, the woman’s cellphone in her hand. “Pack your things. Let’s go. We can’t stay here-” 

“Taeyeon, I told you, I can’t! I don’t have-” 

“You can’t stay here alone! At the very least stay with my parents but you can’t be here. Come on!” Tiffany remains rooted in the middle of the living room. So, Taeyeon does it for her. She pulls out a duffel bag from deep in the closet, and dumps clothes she knows her friend wears constantly. 

When she returns, Tiffany is now kneeling on the ground, staring at her mother’s phone in her hands. “It’s time for us to go, Fany.” Tiffany looks up, but it’s clear she’s not really looking at or hearing Taeyeon. Her eyes are blank, and she squeezes the phone tighter. 

 

Taeyeon looks at her watch, “A couple of minutes won’t hurt,” she thinks as she takes a seat on the floor. The silence that settles between them is… strange. Not only because Tiffany is almost always talking, but because it seems that the only thing Taeyeon can hear is the sound of heart beating rapidly in her chest and the sirens down below. She can’t hear the family next door, with the three teenage boys always playing their video games at full volume whenever they’re home. She can’t hear the couple down the hall with their new baby. It’s so still… so quiet… It’s as if the whole building is completely empty except for the two of them. 

It’s so quiet that the ding of the elevator and the of a gun is so clear that Taeyeon practically jumps a foot in the air. 

 

We’re not alone. 

 

She scrambles towards Tiffany and tugs at her arm, “Someone’s coming, we have to go now!” 

Taeyeon barely needs to strain her ears to catch the sound of multiple footsteps, and low gravelly voices. “Fany, please.” 

All Tiffany says is, “She-she’ll be okay right?” 

“I can’t promise you that.”

Taeyeon’s heart speeds up even faster, and her senses go on overdrive as she hears the floor’s newest occupants kicking down doors. 

“We’re not alone! Please, listen to me!”  

“We have to find her.” 

“Tiffany, we need to get out of here first before we can even think of searching for her.” 

 

Taeyeon flinches as she hears the sound of gunshots, followed by laughter, she tries not to vomit in fear as she hears the footsteps get closer. She knows that if it comes down to it, she’ll need to protect her best friend. Will she even be able to conjure up fire? What if it was a one time thing? If she does, will she be able to control it so that it won’t hurt TIffany? Will it be enough? Will she be able to be faster than a bullet? 

“Tiffany, please, we have to hide.” Taeyeon pleads, pulling on Tiffany’s arm even harder. She wishes Sooyoung were here, even without superstrength the taller girl would be able to lift them up with ease. “Fany, please. I can’t lose you like this.” 

The door suddenly swings open and Taeyeon steps in front in an instant, one hand still holding Tiffany’s, and the other outstretched towards the intruders. She shuts her eyes tight and hopes she can conjure fire, but if not, she hopes that her death is quick and painless. She hopes that they see Tiffany is powerless and spare her. She hopes Tiffany survives. But instead, all she hears is, “This place has already been checked out. No one’s here.” before the footsteps move farther away and the elevator dings open once more. 

She lets go of Tiffany’s hand as she opens her eyes, quietly tiptoes to the front door and sighs in relief as their floor is thankfully empty once again. She skips back to the living room only to find it empty, “We’re safe, Fany! Fany? Where’d you go?! TIFFANY!” 

“Ow! Why are you shouting? I’m right here!” Tiffany says, and Taeyeon can hear it clearly, can picture Tiffany rolling her eyes but she can’t actually see the cheerleader. 

“I can’t see you!” 

“What are you talking about? I can see you just fine!” 

Taeyeon then feels the familiar sensation of Tiffany’s hand intertwined with hers, and she can’t help but laugh as she finally comes into view once more. “Oh my god, thank god you can turn invisible. I thought we’d be six feet under by now!” 

“I’m sorry I wasn’t listening...  you were right. I was too caught up I put us in danger.” 

“Hey, none of that! You also saved us. And… We’ll figure it out together, right? But first, we need to get my stuff then meet the others.”

 

Taeyeon, on the other hand, is lucky. Tiffany still doesn’t know how to switch her invisibility off so they sneak into the Kim home with ease. Though she decides not to show herself to her parents, (in fear that they’ll try to stop her), she’s content with knowing they’re okay and thankfully powerless, and the teenagers decide to simply pass them by as they watch the news on the living room couch. 

She leaves a tear-stained letter on her bed, but of course, just as they walk by her parents one last time, the taller girl’s powers decide it’s time to stop. The Kims jump up in surprise, but they don’t make any comment on their bags or their attire. They simply pull their daughter into their arms, begging her to stay safe and to keep low. They hug Tiffany tightly too, when they notice her standing awkwardly by the side and the girl crumples in their arms, accepting the parental affection that she will probably no longer be able to receive again. 

“If ever it becomes safe again, please, visit us. If you can, keep us updated. We’ll try to do the same...” Taeyeon’s dad says. 

Taeyeon’s mom tiptoes to give them both a kiss on the top of their heads, then holds both their hands in hers. “Take care of each other, okay?” 

 

They all finally meet in Sunny’s house, duffel bags and backpacks all stuffed into Jessica’s family’s van. No one comments on how red and puffy everyone’s eyes are, but after a while on the road, Jessica says, “There’s no one left at home. No one is picking up. Not even Krystal’s friends.” The van is silent for a second before Tiffany speaks up, and then Sooyoung. No trace of their family. Yoona tries to speak, but her voice breaks, and Yuri squeezes her hand before she explains, “Her house was burned down. Her whole family in it… we overheard the neighbors say they saw her brother with electricity coming out of his hands…” 

Hyoyeon demands for the car to stop, just so everyone can breathe for a second, just so they can gather their bearings… just so they can find comfort in each other. And on any other normal day, they would. But now, with a looming nationwide curfew, and the sound of sirens and screams still all around them as they drive through city after city, Taeyeon’s voice is full of apologies and unshed tears, “No, we can’t. We have to keep going. We have no choice.” 

Hyoyeon looks like she wants to protest, and Taeyeon knows this is how she shows she cares, willing to fight to make sure everyone is okay. But Seohyun, the ever gentle Seohyun, slowly pulls her shorter unnie into an embrace. “We’ve already lost so much. We only have each other now. We can’t lose our second family too.” 

 

And that’s how it starts.



It starts with a bang. 

 

It starts with nine of them. A family. 

 

It starts with survival, with finding others like them, protecting others like them, and trying to make a life with the cards they were dealt with.

 

And now, 16 years later, with only Tiffany left at her side, Taeyeon just prays for the day when it all comes to an end.