๐‚๐ก๐š๐ฉ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ ๐Ÿ: ๐–๐ข๐ง๐ญ๐ž๐ซ ๐’๐ง๐จ๐ฐ

๐€ ๐๐ข๐ ๐ก๐ญ ๐ข๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐†๐š๐ฅ๐š๐ฑ๐ฒ ๐„๐ฑ๐ฉ๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ ๐‘๐š๐ข๐ฅ๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ: ๐‘น๐’†๐’•๐’†๐’๐’๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ย 

โ€œ๐‡๐ข๐ฌ ๐ž๐ฒ๐ž๐ฌ ๐š๐ซ๐ž ๐ฅ๐ข๐ค๐ž ๐š๐ง ๐จ๐œ๐ž๐š๐ง ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ ๐š๐ฅ๐š๐ฑ๐ข๐ž๐ฌ, ๐ฌ๐จ ๐Ÿ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฆ๐ฒ๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ ๐ž๐š๐ ๐ž๐ซ ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐ž ๐ฎ๐ง๐ซ๐š๐ฏ๐ž๐ฅ๐ž๐,"

ย 

Childlike, gullible, and utterly chaotic.

ย ย ย Thatโ€™s how she describes her younger self. Not ignorant in a way. But almost curiously insufferable to do silly things just for the satisfaction of her own curiosity.

ย ย ย Some might call it madness. An insufferable craving for knowledge. Absolute bonkers. What sort of moronic idiot would wander around the woods, in the middle of the night, just to prove that there were fairies, werewolves, or any sort of nonsense creeping at night.ย 

ย ย ย Only a bloody fool like her would do such a thing.

ย ย ย As moronic as it sounds, she doesnโ€™t wander in the middle of the night without any protection. Well, if she could consider carrying a bottle of pepper spray and the small dagger she got from her mum as a form of protection, then thatโ€™s it.

ย ย ย Winter wasnโ€™t always the typical kind of child. When she was ten, when kids her age were playing marbles, she was making rock towers for the water sprites. At 12, when they were playing with dolls and houses, she skipped at night to the woods, looking for light fairies. At 14, when girls her age were fascinated by makeup, she was playing pattycake with danger โ€” like always. Now, sheโ€™s 16, and sheโ€™s very much still the same. Except for the fact that she grew some inches taller and also the fact that sheโ€™s working at Cafรฉ Guifi as a barista after begging the owner, Mr. Chapman, to hire her.

ย ย ย ย As much as she doesnโ€™t want to acknowledge it, she is utterly wild.

ย ย Due to her insufferable behavior, some of the citizens in Tumble Town considered her a nuisance, an eye sore, and an attention-seeking orphan. As a ten-year-old with no parents to care for, it hurts to see and feel the feeling of not being wanted.

ย ย ย But Winter was never the kind of person to hold grudges. Her mum always says that not all people are bad. Theyโ€™re just bitter. Also, some are just bound for an unfortunate fate. And she believed her. She believed her because she met the Homewoods.ย 

ย ย The Homewoods were a family of four. Oldman Jones, a wobbly veteran soldier, and the father of Mrs. Dolly and Ms. Darbus, identical twins with a not-so-very identical personality and appearance. Lastly, Molly Homewood, Mrs. Dollyโ€™s seven-year-old daughter.

ย ย ย They were one of the few people who proposed to take her in. Despite Ms. Darbusโ€™ absolute disagreement with the proposition. Mrs. Dolly, Winterโ€™s favorite person, insisted on it.

ย ย ย As much as she wanted to live with Ms. Dolly and Molly, she couldnโ€™t abandon her mumโ€™s small cottage house. It contains all of the wonderful memories she has with her mum. And she wanted to keep and cherish it forever. Even if it requires her to live in the middle of the woods alone.

ย ย ย It is her home. Even if itโ€™s surrounded by tall, rigid trees, and the beautiful sound of nature. Itโ€™s her home.ย 

ย ย Before the Homewood had found her, Winter lived silently in the cottage for three months, waiting for her mumโ€™s return. Ms. Darbus said that it was a miracle that sheโ€™d survived with barely enough food to eat for three months.ย 

ย ย ย But she survived. The small amount of food she got from the woods kept her alive. She believed that the wood faeries were the ones who helped her survive that tragic fate because she remembered a vivid light feeding her a honey-like liquid that soothed all the aches in her body before she passed out due to exhaustion. It wasnโ€™t a dream. She remembered telling the Homewoods. And up until now, she believed that it wasnโ€™t a dream.

ย ย ย She recalls how Mrs. Dolly looked at her with teary eyes as she caressed her boney arms. She could only smile weakly to let Mrs. Dolly know that she was fine. Winter ate a scrumptious meal that day. She ate it with so much delight and utter gratitude.

ย ย ย Winter never considered herself an orphan. She has a mother. And sheโ€™s out there, searching โ€” searching for herself. She promised Winter that she would return. And that theyโ€™ll continue their countless adventures. She promised that once sheโ€™s back, sheโ€™ll have lots of stories to tell. And Winter still kept on holding to that word โ€” because she promised. It was written on the letter she left on the table, along with the small birthday cake they got from Dr. Dewberryโ€™s bakery shop.

ย ย ย And she can't wait to hear what stories her mum has to offer once she returns.

ย ย ย Aside from the stories of Cait Sรฌth, Winter had always loved stories about constellations, especially about the Galaxy Express Railway. She wonders what it would feel like to venture into a world full of uncertainties. It sounds absolutely dangerous, and having to tolerate such thoughts is utter madness. But Winter is the epitome of madness. Her crazy, bushy brown locks, and emerald piercing gaze are already enough to scare the kids in their neighborhood.

ย ย Looking at constellations reminded her of her favorite sweets, PopStar! A crystal like candy that she always begged her mum to buy. Imagining different round-colored candies touching your lips with their delightful tastes, exploding inside your mouth, and providing you with the sensation of sweet ecstasy is utterly delightful and gratifying.

ย ย She can't help but crack a smile and chuckle here and there whenever she thinks back to those times. Some kind of a fantasy dream, right? She thinks, laughing at her own silly ideas like a child.

ย ย Everything eventually came to an end at some point. Winter came to the conclusion that her childhood fantasies were completely groundless and unattainable. That is the reason why she grew up, her thoughts matured (sort of,) and she got a job as a barista in a small English cafe just close to Piazza Yule, the townโ€™s town square.

ย ย She was living on her own, although it wasn't exactly how she had envisioned it when she was young. But she's living for the sake of living.

ย 

โœฆ

ย 

Winter sprang up in the middle of the night, wide awake, due to a sudden sound that kept on repeating every single night. She has been hearing strange noises lately. A sound of a train, to be specific, and she couldn't fathom where it was coming from.

ย ย ย There's no train close to Tumble Town. Oh, wait, she pauses for a moment and ponders. There is one, but that is miles away from her cottage house. She is, by far, still living in the middle of the woods, and it's impossible to hear the sound of the train from that distance.

ย ย ย How curious. The fact that it seems to echo above the ceiling is something that puzzles her a lot. How curious indeed.

ย ย She called for Matilda, a white Persian cat with gray eyes, but there was no response. Strange. She usually sleeps beside her because she loves to snuggle.

ย ย ย Matilda was missing again.

ย ย Still completely perplexed, after such a long and tiring night, she decided that getting some rest was much more important than satisfying her curiosity at the moment. She can't seem to resist the power of sleep, so she lets herself succumb to its warm embrace and drifts off to dreamland once more.

ย 

โœฆ

ย 

The morning breeze slit into the open window. A warm tingling feeling โ€” slowly creeping โ€” a ray of sunlight โ€” gently pecking. Gradually peaking โ€” steady breathing โ€” eyes opening slowly โ€” a feelingย  โ€” so vividly pleasing.

ย ย She looked up to see Matilda staring at her with her perfectly silver eyes, and habitually asked, "Where were you last night?" She just felt like saying it, and since Matilda is a cat, she didn't anticipate getting a response.

ย She and combs her snow-like fur. Matildaย  stirs in pleasure, resting her head to her side, "I need to go to work today. When I return, I will bring your favorite tuna." She mewed, and Winter just smiled.

ย ย Winter continued her usual morning routine; making Matildaโ€™s food, cleaning yesterdayโ€™s dishes, and packing a simple sandwich from Mrs. Dolly's turkey yesterday.

ย ย She remembered yesterday's event. It was wonderful. The Homewoods invited her to spend New Yearโ€™s Eve with them. It was lovely, despite Ms. Darbusโ€™ snarky remarks about the tedious preparation for the evening.

ย ย She recalled Mollyโ€™s reaction the time she told her some fantasy stories before she tucked her into bed, but not after begging her to tell her more about the Galaxy Express Railway, which she'd told her a hundred times now.ย 

It was the same thing her mom did when she was young.ย 

ย ย She hadnโ€™t thought of her mum since yesterday. It was a short reminiscence, like the last summer breeze before fall comes. She was sort of just a lingering memory trying to remind her of the old times. A bit bitter, but wonderf

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter