fin.

i think i've seen this film before (lemme try and change the ending) [JinJoo]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

x=x  June 14, 2028  x=x

 

“Kim Minju, marry me.”

 

“O..kay. That was random. But of course, I will. We’ve been together for so long; that’s exactly where we’re heading.”

 

“No, I mean right now. Kim Minju, let’s get married.”

 

………

 

“When exactly is that moment when one feels that they are ready to settle down and build a home with someone?”

 

That has been Ahn Yujin’s question for so long.

 

And no, it’s not that she has doubts whether it’ll be Minju she would want to spend the rest of her life with. After all, they were soulmates.

 

And yes, being identified as ‘soulmates’ in their world holds a pretty much significant meaning as evidenced by the red string that binds them. The red string of fate, as the others would call it.

 

However, the string being red in color wasn’t something permanent. In fact, it was kinda… fickle. The color on one’s end changes depending on the mood of their lover. It becomes blue to represent sadness, green to represent jealousy, yellow to represent happiness and many others, for the human emotion could quite be complicated that the string would sometimes reflect several colors at the same time.

 

For years of being together, she had already known Minju from the strands of her hair down to the fingernails on her toe. They were that batch couple during High School whose relationship was adored by many, for how they managed to still stick with each other for years and for how they were able to still keep the fire burning in their relationship.

 

Everything was perfect. However, there were two things missing—'marriage and a family they could their own’. Yujin had always known Minju’s fondness of kids. The older’s eyes always glimmers with much happiness when she holds Yewon in her arms whenever they visit Yena and Chaewon’s house. She sees how the string would turn yellow when Minju gets to play with the child and how it turns blue whenever they’re about to bid goodbye.

 

She too, was aware, because she had accidentally read the older’s diary (well, honestly, it wasn’t really an accident, she did really stole Minju’s diary so that she’s going to have an idea for the surprise that she would do during their first Valentine’s day together) that Minju dreams of getting married, saying their romantic vows in front of everyone dear to them, living under the same roof, proudly presenting the rings on their fingers…

 

Yujin on the other hand, was neutral on both matters. Yujin wasn’t fond of children. She doesn’t hate them (especially after knowing Yewon for the kid was really adorable, even Yujin fell in love with her, though not enough to convince her) and she could handle them, but given the chance to choose between raising a child and raising a dog, Yujin would definitely choose the latter in a heartbeat.

 

Yujin too doesn’t really care that much about ceremonies and all those sh*ts about marriage. For Yujin, it was already more than enough that she has Minju beside her with the red string binding them together. Marriage and stuff related to that are just paper and formality sh*ts that doesn’t really hold that much value to her.

 

But more than her beliefs, Minju is more important. For Yujin, Minju’s happiness shall come first. So, even if she doesn’t really want any of those two things mentioned above, she would gladly (and not to mention, willingly) throw away her opinions for the sake of the older.

 

 

x=x  May 8, 2028  x=x

 

“If you’re that sure about her, and you’re willing to change your beliefs to bring her joy, then why aren’t you asking the question yet?” Holding the controller with her eyes fixed on the screen of the television, Yena asked the younger with hushed tones, for the other girls who were busy preparing snacks in the kitchen might hear them.

 

“I’m still looking for the perfect opportunity to propose, unnie. How ‘bout you, how did your marriage proposal with Chaewon-unnie went?” Clicking the buttons on the controller, trying to punch Yena’s avatar on the screen, Yujin curiously asked.

 

“Well mine? It was neither special nor grand. It was that one time when Chaewon decided to spend the night in my previous condo unit. Actually, we were supposed to watch a movie together. Mind you, it was Chaewon’s favorite movie. Like really, she won’t stop talking about it and she always bugs me to watch it with her whenever she has the chance. And we did. But you know what happened?” Yena awkwardly snickered reminiscing the past, getting distracted from the game.   

 

“You fell asleep.” Yujin said, successfully hitting combos due to the older’s divided attention.

 

“Ya! How did you know?” Yena was surprised, she threw the controller on the couch when the screen had already declared Yujin as the winner.

 

“Because we share the same braincell, unnie.” Yujin’s laughter echoed in the kitchen.

 

“Babe, Yewon’s sleeping, keep it down!” Minju from the kitchen, approached the living room just to scold the younger, threatening her with the ladle that she had in her hand.

 

Upon seeing how the string had changed from red (its default color) into gray, the color of annoyance, Yujin brought her fingers to , closing the invisible zipper in it. Minju then walked back towards the kitchen after sparing the younger another warning look. 

 

“Look, unnie, she loves Yewon more than me now!” With her lips pouting and her brows creasing, she was pulling Yena’s sleeves to complain and sulk, but Yena just straight up laughed at her, finding her behavior childish.

 

“Ya! Choi Yena, I will not hesitate to send you outside if our daughter woke up because of your loudmouth!” Chaewon said as she peered through the door, sending the older a death glare.

 

And yes, you wouldn’t wanna mess up with Chaewon’s Ssamachi side so Yena just politely obliged without questions asked, especially after being aware that their string was so close to the shade of black. It was now Yujin’s turn to laugh (though those were stifled ones, because she doesn’t wanna get hit with a ladle, you know).

 

“Stop laughing and go back to explaining!” Yena shouted in whisper, looking back at the kitchen door, anxiously checking whether a certain radish fairy is still eyeing her actions.

 

“See, unnie. I could pretty much predict what you did because I also did the same with Minju when she asked me to watch The Kissing Booth with her.”  

 

“You watched The Kissing Booth as well?”

 

“Yeah…?” Yujin answered with a confused face. “Wait, what do you mean by ‘as well?’”

 

“That was the movie that I slept on!” Yena answered, trying to prove a point.

 

“Wait, don’t tell me it was Chaewon-unnie who had influenced Minju into watching those stuff?”

 

“Maybe. I mean, they were close so it should already be a given that they’d talk about their likes and dislikes, right? And I’m telling you, Chaewon brings The Kissing Booth into every topic whenever she had the chance! Good thing I had already accepted her tastelessness in movie preferences.”

 

“Same unnie, same.” The two proceeded to hug each other. “And before we got distracted on our topic again, so how did you do your proposal, Yena-unnie?”

 

Scratching her cheeks, Yena replied, “Well… so yeah, I fell asleep and then I woke up covered with a blanket. I looked for Chaewon and I saw her in my study table and guess what she was doing?” Yena wiggled her brows, trying to heighten up the younger’s curiosity to which she had successfully did so.

 

“Ya, unnie! Stop with the cliffhangers! They’re gonna finish cooking any moment from now!”

 

“Okay, okay. I’m sorry. Your frustrated face just looks funny.” Yena chuckled again before continuing, “She was playing a game. And mind you, Chaewon is not a fan of any game, especially the ones that I’m playing. She’s playing PUBG sometimes but that’s it. She was never invested in them like I was. But that night, I saw her playing MapleStory in her laptop, and then she would occasionally grab her phone to search for Youtube videos that demonstrates the basics of the game…

 

Upon seeing her puckered lips and confused eyes, my heart pounded fast and loud on my chest. And that’s the time when I told myself that, ‘Ah, I would never let anybody take this girl away from me.’

 

And so I hugged her from the back. She was even surprised because of my sudden presence. I placed my chin on her shoulder and I whispered on her ear, ‘Let’s get married, Chaewon…’” Yena finished her story with a lovestruck smile on her face.

 

“W-wait Yena-unnie. You married her… because of MapleStory…?” If confusion could be personified that moment, the perfect model would be Yujin at that time.

 

“Silly. Of course, it wasn’t simply about Maplestory. It was because I realized I could never find someone who would willingly go out of her way, try to learn my hobbies so that she could understand me better, despite of me, literally not spending the same amount of time and effort, if ever I would let Chaewon slip from my grasp.

 

It would be the same for you, trust me. And it doesn’t really have to have a meaning per se. It will just hit you like an unexpected raindrop during a sunny day and then boom. You would look at Minju and then you’ll realize that not proposing right there and then would be the dumbest decision you’ll ever make.”

 

“But what about having kids? I… I don’t think I am ready to have one yet… The thought of raising kids… scares me. I feel like I can’t handle the responsibility yet. And that’s pretty much the next stage after marriage, right?” Sighing, reaching for the pillow and placing her chin on it, Yujin replied.

 

“While you’re right that raising a kid seems difficult and it indeed is, do not be too scared. The reason why you both are considered partners was because you’ll share the burden on everything. The most important lesson that I had learned with my relationship with Chaewon was that we are a couple for a reason. Chaewon would fill me up on the parts I am struggling with and I would also do the same on the matters she couldn’t handle.

 

And Minju will understand you, Daeng. Trust her and her love for you, okay? If Chaewon and I could do it, then I believe the both of you could do it too. Don’t worry, if you ever need any advice, I’m always one call away. You know that, right?

 

So when you would have that certain moment in the future, never, ever hesitate, okay? I got your back, always.” Yena proceeded to hug the younger who was now close to shedding tears, gently tapping her back.  

 

“Ya! Don’t cry, you big dog! You’re making me cry too!”

 

“Yup, and the next one who would cry is…” Chaewon come out from the kitchen. They all then heard Yewon crying from her nursery room, her sleep was disturbed.

 

“Choi Yena/Ahn Yujin!”

 

‘Uh-oh… We’re doomed…’

 

 

x=x  June 14, 2028  x=x

 

They were walking back towards Minju’s apartment that night after buying ice cream from the convenience store because the older had invited her for a night stroll.

 

It was indeed a beautiful night. Since it was Spring, the weather just feels right, the fresh breeze was hitting their faces, a relief from the howling winter winds, truly a perfect opportunity for a walk, especially that the stars and the moon are not hiding beneath the clouds.

 

Their hands were intertwined with each other as Yujin admired how peaceful the sky looks, how perfectly shaped as crescent the moon is, and how extra bright the stars are, shining that night. She was halted from walking when she felt that Minju removed her hands from hers, sitting down on a squat position, caressing the fur of a stray cat that was sitting in a cardboard box.

 

“Awww… baby, who left you here? Good thing I always bring some cat food with me in my pocket. Hold on,” Minju said as she reached for the pocket of the mustard cardigan she’s wearing. She then offered her hand near the cat. “There you go… Awww… That’s nice, there… there… you’re eating well…” Minju continued caressing the head of the cat.   

 

Yujin stood there as she watched Minju feed the cat.

 

She stood there as she watched the light from the moon illuminate Minju’s skin, making her exude an enticing radiance.

 

She stood there as Minju’s eyes literally mimicked the glow of the stars and more.

 

She stood there, and all she could think of that time was, ‘Why am I still standing here frozen on my spot?’

 

So she walked towards Minju and she gently pulled her up into a hug, her heart’s beating loudly, her logic’s clouding, but her mind’s focused on a certain goal—to propose, right there and then.

 

Minju felt like something was odd with the way Yujin had captured her through an embrace, with much longing and desperation. “Love, what’s wrong? Are you okay, Daeng?” Minju said as she caressed Yujin back. She also noticed how the string, while still maintaining its default color, had changed its shade into a bright crimson, indicating pure passion and devotion.

 

Minju then felt Yujin shook her head.

 

“That’s a relief then. But why did you suddenly hug me?”

 

“Kim Minju, marry me.”

 

“O..kay. That was random. But of course, I will. We’ve been together for so long; that’s exactly where we’re heading.”

 

“No, I mean right now. Kim Minju, let’s get married.”

 

 

x=x  September 14, 2028  x=x

 

A small garden whose space was partitioned into two using a line of several poles decorated with blue ribbons and daisies, leaving the middle empty while the sides were occupied with chairs and round tables, all clothed with a white fabric and a vase containing stems of peonies and roses was neatly placed in the middle.

 

People were clad with formally styled clothes, with most ladies wearing dresses and gents wearing long sleeves inside a coat.

 

There weren’t too many people present; with the attendees averaging a total of twenty. All are intently watching as the couple in front sporting two different wedding dresses, veils now brought to their backs, looking at each other’s eyes, exchange the vows that they had practiced beforehand.

 

“Min, I might have already married you impulsively that night on the 14th of June, but I—”

 

“Ya! At least thank me, you big pup! Do you know how stressed I was because you just called me in the middle of the night asking for a venue and a marriage officiant?” Yena stood up in her seat, all the attendee’s attention was now on her (good thing they made it so only the closest people to the couple were present, so less humiliation for the duck *le cries*).

 

“Choi Yena, oh myghadniss, please sit the down, you’re embarrassing me and your daughter.” Chaewon on her side grunted, pulling her wife to sit down. “We never should have sat with you!” With a hushed tone and her face masked with a smile when in reality, she was literally boiling inside, Chaewon scolded Yena. “I’m sorry, go on.” Chaewon smiled some more, but she was now pinching Yena on her sides, their daughter Yewon was chuckling because of the shamelessness of her mom.

 

“*Ehem* So yeah, thanks to Yena-unnie and Chaewon unnie’s help, I had married you with the stars and the moon as our witness. And going back, I did promise you that time that we’re gonna have a proper wedding ceremony, right?

 

Minmin, this is me fulfilling my promise to you.

 

And this is me, telling you that just like how I stayed true to my words that night, all the other vows that I made and all those that I will make in the future, I will always try my best to fulfill them all.

 

Today, in front of all the people dear to us, I promise that even if we’re facing storms, I’ll always try to paint your face with a smile.” Holding Minju’s hand, Yujin delivered her vow with much warmth and sincerity in her voice, looking straight at the orbs of her significant other, her lips curving into a smile, the widest that she had given another person for the entire twenty-five years of her life.

 

Everybody witnessed how the couple’s string had reflected a mixture of different hues but the most prominent was the color of bright ruby sparkling as the two shared a slow dance, both lost in each other’s presence. 

 

 

  x=x  August 14, 2036  x=x

 

“So, have you been happy in your marriage?” A woman asked, sitting demurely across the table wearing a white fitted dress inside a gray coat, a tripod and a camera was beside her, pointing at Minju’s direction.

 

Jang Wonyoung.

 

Minju glanced at the silver-plated name tag that was pinned on the woman’s left chest. 

 

Minju reached for the cup of tea that was resting on the table, inhaling its aroma and sipping a bit from it, looking outside the glass window, smiling softly to herself, she answered, “Didn’t know the interview would consist of questions like these.” She then chuckled lightly, and after putting the cup back, she continued, “Of course, I’ve been.”

 

“Then can you share with me some snippets of those happy memories that you are referring to?” Wonyoung smiled back, clicking her pen a few times, a habit that she had developed from her current job.

 

“Are you sure about that? Daen— I mean, Yujin and I… we’ve… we’ve been together ever since I could remember. The story or maybe even the collection of stories that I would share would be quite long, considering that telling stories is something I’m fond of.”

 

“That’s totally fine by me. I have all the time in the world. Also, listening is my specialty, you know.” Winking at the older woman in front of her, Wonyoung continued, “Think of me as a diary which you could spill everything, even those things which your closest friends do not know about.”

 

 “Well then…”

 

 

  x=x  October 1, 2012  x=x

 

“Why would you want to be friends with that new kid? Don’t you know the rumors that were spreading around? She’s beating up students who comes close to her! I even heard she’s extorting money from some of our classmates… Minju, are you sure about that? She’s scary as heck, nobody wants to be friends with her!” Hitomi, one of Minju’s friends in her circle together with Nako had told her seriously, even shaking her shoulders when the former had felt her unchanging opinion of the transferee.

 

“What do you mean no one? There’s me, I wanna be friends with her! I think she’s cool! And also, the rumors that you heard were all untrue. That’s because—”

 

“Hii-chan! We’re going home now, say goodbye to your friend Minju. Minju, tell your Mom I said hi!” Interrupted by the arrival of Hitomi’s mother, Minju wasn’t able to explain her side. She just brightly nodded and waved at her friend as Hitomi had entered her parent’s car.

 

Still on the swing where Hitomi had left her, waiting for a certain someone to arrive, Minju was thinking of all the fun activities that she could do today together with the younger.

 

‘Should we go for ice cream? That’s right! It’s still early, we could still go to that newly-opened ice cream parlor on our way home!’

 

‘She’s late, I should’ve just helped her in her homeroom duties.’

 

After some time, a panting, short-haired bespectacled girl had approached her place. Slouching, with her hands on her knees, Yujin said, “I’m sorry, my classmates had left me—”

 

“Shh… There, there. You did well, okay? Next time, let me help you so that you won’t carry the burden alone.” Minju patted her head gently. Yujin looked up only to be welcomed by a smile that reaches the eyes, to which she had no idea why, but she had automatically smiled back.

 

Yujin’s was a short-lived smile, but Minju knew that it was the best that the younger could offer at the moment, so she never complained. Yujin then stood up straight, her height’s similar with Minju even if the latter was older by about two years. She faked a cough, avoiding the older’s gaze, she said, “I told you it would only cause you trouble if the other kids would know that you’re playing with me, unnie. Also, it’s totally fine by me even if I was left alone. I’m used to being alone and doing things by myself anyway.”

 

Minju then cupped the younger’s cheeks, leaving the latter in utter surprise so she stood there frozen in her place. “Like what I’ve told you that one time, now that I’m here, you should now be used to having someone by your side.

 

Daeng, you’re not alone anymore. I’m here, and I wouldn’t leave.

 

I’m here and unlike them, I promise I would go beyond what my eyes could see. Because unlike them who could only see your cold demeanor, Minmin right here knows that you’re a certified softie inside!” Minju then proceeded to pinch the cheeks of the younger.

 

“You fooled everyone with the rude aura that you emit but you wouldn’t be able to fool me!” Before the younger could even react, Minju then tightly held the straps of her knapsack and run fast. When she was already a few meters away from Yujin, she shouted, “Catch me! That is, if you can!” Minju then stick her tongue out, trying to annoy the younger.

 

(But rather than getting annoyed, that time, Minju looked like a shining piece of diamond in the younger’s eyes. Add the fact that the sunlight never did fail to highlight the older’s beauty, Minju was too adorable for anyone to be annoyed with her.

 

Or at least, that’s what Yujin thinks.)

 

Not trying to spoil the fun atmosphere that the older was trying to create, Yujin then followed suit. Yujin was that ‘athletic’ kid in class (even if she rarely shows her skills to her classmates) so she managed to catch Minju, hugging her from the back. “Gotcha!” She elatedly said, as if she had won a gold medal in Olympics track and field competition.

 

Yujin could sniff the strawberry-scented shampoo that the older was using, as well as the baby cologne that Minju wears, leaving a familiar feeling to her, just like the first time they had been ‘this close’.

 

Yujin’s young mind couldn’t seem to name the ‘thing’ that’s been invading her system that very moment that she’s holding the older close in her arms. All she knows was that her heart’s beating so fast that she felt like she’s about to faint and that her face suddenly felt hot even if it wasn’t scorching, for the skies are about to be swallowed by darkness.

 

“Ya! I didn’t know you’re a fast runner? There is really something interesting I get to know about you everyday.” Minju pulled away from the hug to face Yujin. “And because you caught me, I’ll be treating you to ice cream! Let’s go!” The older held Yujin’s right hand, while she extended her other towards the sky with balled fist, like she was leading a troupe to an adventure.

 

“Just say you’re craving for ice cream and you wanted someone to accompany you, unnie.” Yujin said with a smile, shaking her head.

 

Minju looked back at her. Tilting her head and hitting it softly, she replied, “You got me there! Tehehe~

 

But you don’t have a choice now, do you? I’m already holding your hand, I’ll cry if you’ll let go.” Minju threatened the younger though it didn’t really come across as one.

 

“Then I guess ice cream it is?” Yujin just shrugged, giving up from engaging in rebuttals. (And because she also wants to prolong the time that she’ll have with the older that day, but of course she wouldn’t tell her that. Not because she’s a tsundere [she is not, okay?] but because she’s a shy bean tehehe~)

 

“Yay! I’m gonna order all the flavor I want until there’s not a single penny in my wallet!” Minju declared, pulling Yujin towards the shop.

 

Yujin on the other hand just stared at their hands, she couldn’t seem to hide the smile that’s creeping up her face even if she wanted to maintain a stoic facade.

 

For Yujin, being able to hold Minju’s hand like this is something that she wanted to have the privilege of doing for the rest of her life. She couldn’t care less even if other people would always misunderstand her.

 

Because for as long as Minju understands her, nothing else and no one else matters.

 

That day, Yujin made a vow.

 

She wouldn’t let go of the hand that had hold hers when everybody else chose not to.

 

Not ever.

 

 

  x=x  August 14, 2036  x=x

 

“But I don’t get it though, Miss Ahn. How come you two became close? No offense because I do think you’ve already changed but, your personalities, according to your description that time were polar opposites. So how come?” A lady with the name tag ‘Kang Hyewon’ asked, looking at the tablet she was holding, waiting for the younger’s response.

 

“I’ve known Minju even before the first time I had approached her in the playground… Today’s actually the anniversary of our first interaction. I don’t know if she still remembers this day though.” With her hands resting on her thighs and her eyes lost on the memories of the past, Yujin smiled to herself.

 

“Ooh. Interesting. You’re quite the sentimental type, eh. Would you tell me more about it?” Tapping her stylus lightly on the tablet’s screen, the lady curiously asked.

 

 

x=x  August 2012  x=x

 

Yujin and Minju were both living in the same neighborhood, with their houses just across each other. However, unlike Minju’s home that was a perfect depiction of what one could call a happy family, Yujin’s house presents a striking difference.

 

Yujin doesn’t even know if she could ever truly consider herself a part of that household. Don’t get her wrong, she wasn’t in anyway getting abused of some sort, but she had this huge hole in her heart—some kind of an empty space that no one could ever fill no matter how much love and affection she would get from her relatives that had adopted her.

 

‘Why did my parents leave me? Did they already predict that I’m going to be a loser that they couldn’t stand living with the fact that I am their daughter?’

 

‘Maybe I really am unworthy of being loved.’

 

‘Who even wanna be with someone as miserable as me?’

 

…….

 

“Hello! Are you okay? I’m Kim Minju! We’re classmates! Let’s be friends!”

 

Yujin had always been jealous of Minju. Whenever she sees the girl laughing, playing around with her friends, she couldn’t help but pity herself even more. She couldn’t help but question the fate that was bestowed upon her, how unfair it was and why does life seem so easy to other people but not to her.

 

Yujin staying after class in the playground had been a routine for her, hoping she would be able to see Minju from afar, away from everybody’s judgmental stares. After all, Yujin’s reputation in school isn’t that good.

 

But did she try to change people’s perception towards her?

 

No, because she personally thinks that she deserves to receive that kind of treatment. She’s just contented that she could see Minju’s smile. She couldn’t explain it herself but that certain smile warms her heart.

 

Yujin had always been jealous of Minju, but Yujin didn’t hate that smile. She was envious, but no, she did not grow to detest that smile, that bright aura that Minju always emits. Instead, she had hated herself for not being able to smile just the same.

 

To laugh freely.

 

To make friends.

 

And most importantly,

 

to give and receive love.

 

 

x=x  August 14, 2012  x=x

 

“I… I was just wearing that thing earlier, where is it?” Minju was squatting on the grass, trying to look for something.

 

Yujin was actually surprised by what she had seen that she failed to react fast. Earlier when Minju’s friends were still there with her, Minju was all joyful and giddy interacting with them.

 

However, the moment she bid goodbye to Hitomi, she sat on the grass, stared at her wrist for quite some time, started sobbing, and then afterwards Yujin saw her crying her eyes out.

 

‘Why is she suddenly crying?’

 

That was the first time that Yujin saw pain in Minju’s eyes. She had never thought that those pair of orbs that had always emitted brightness could also turn into something gloomy, something wretched…

 

Something…

 

Like her.

 

Yujin was panicking in her place. She didn’t know if she should approach the older or not.

 

‘What difference would my presence make?’

 

‘I could only make her sadder.’

 

Yujin stood up. She couldn’t stand to see Minju that way, so she decided to just go home that afternoon. She already had her back turned. She had already taken a few steps forward, away from the playground when she halted.

 

She stopped from walking and without giving it much thought, she had approached Minju who was still bawling her eyes out.

 

“Hey…”

 

Minju looked up upon hearing the voice. She was surprised to see the younger in front of her. Well, Minju had always wanted to be friends with her ever since she had seen her moved in their neighborhood last year, but she didn’t get the chance to do so. Aside from the fact that she was from another year level, she was always surrounded by her friends.

 

Being known as the bright one who always lights up the room, Minju was not used to having shown her weakness and her vulnerabilities to others. People had always expected her to be happy, be the source of everyone’s energy and Minju felt the need to always keep up with everyone’s expectation.

 

Even if she wanted so bad to tell everyone that she’s sad too, because her cat’s gone and she had just lost the hair tie which was the only memorabilia that was left to her, she couldn’t. Instead, she smiled in front of everyone. She smiled even if in reality she wanted to cry and complain and whine.

 

She smiled.

 

Because people didn’t know that ‘Minju’ and ‘sadness’ could coexist too.

 

Because they didn’t know that the brightest star at some point, could turn dim too. 

 

And she was afraid to disappoint them.

 

So now that Yujin’s in front of her, she immediately wiped her tears away, sending the younger a smile.

 

“Oh, hey! Yujin, right? Do you need anything?” Minju tried to mask her pain with enthusiasm.

 

“Uhm… You’re looking for something…? I could… I… I wanna uhm… I wanna help…?” Scratching the back of her head, Yujin looked away, feeling shy because this was the first time she had ever approached someone first.

 

“No… I… I’m fine! See? I’m smiling, I’m doing good!” Minju still tried to deny her feelings because if people whom she was close with wouldn’t understand, then what more someone like Yujin who had approached her just now?

 

“I have seen you smile. On different occasions. And I could tell that one’s not real. I… I’m bad at almost everything, but there’s only one thing I’m good at. After living in the dark for too long… after embracing it like an old friend, I’m good at telling whether people are faking their smiles or not.” Yujin didn’t know where she had gathered such courage to talk with someone, or anyone for the matter.

 

Interactions for her seemed like opening a wound that she had long hid using a band aid. The wound still hurts, it was still fresh, but at least it was hidden from everyone.

 

While talking with Minju, Yujin could feel the band aid slowly falling down. She could feel her wound being exposed…

 

And she was scared…

 

Baring her wounds to someone was too damn terrifying for Yujin, but she did continue. Instead of stopping, Yujin didn’t know why and how but she felt the urge to continue baring herself. There’s something about the girl in front of her which made her feel strong and courageous.

 

Yujin then squatted as well to be of the same level as Minju. She then unconsciously brought her hand towards Minju’s head, patting it lightly. She looked at her in the eyes as she continued, 

 

“It’s… it’s fine to be sad too, you know? You’re a human. You’re bound to break at some point. And if you think others would not like you anymore after seeing that a star like you is also capable of emitting darkness, then I’m telling you they wouldn’t.

 

Or if they would, then ditch them. Because starting from now, you have me.” Yujin smiled at her, revealing her cute dimples.

 

“And I’ll teach you that sadness and pain isn’t something to be ashamed of.” Minju looked at her with awe in her eyes. She had thought that Yujin’s words doesn’t suit her age.

 

Well, Yujin was in fact, too matured for her age. Was it her own choice? Definitely no. She would want to live just like a normal child, be clueless of the harshness of the world, but fate was cruel that it had taken her innocence from her for such a young age.

 

Minju on the other hand, had always feared darkness and everything associated with it. She keeps running away, pretending to always live in the light.

 

But right now, getting lost at the younger’s gaze, she had realized that maybe there’s something good about darkness after all.

 

Because if there weren’t, then why does the girl in front of her looked poignantly breathtaking?

 

And Minju promised herself…

 

That while Yujin was teaching her the art of accepting sadness, she too, would teach the younger how to welcome happiness in her heart.

 

That afternoon, as the sun sets in the east, Minju released every tear that she had concealed for years, wetting Yujin’s shirt in the process.

 

But she couldn’t care less.

 

 

x=x  August 14, 2036  x=x

 

“But did you find it?” Wonyoung asked curiously, stopping from writing in her notebook for a while to look at Minju’s face. She then continued when she realized Minju was now wearing a confused look on her face. “The cat’s hair tie, I mean.”

 

“Oh. That. Yeah, we did. Fortunately. We stayed for hours. My parents arrived and they helped us look for it. We even took Yujin with us. Since you know, we’re neighbors and all…” Minju was about to reach for the cup of tea again, when was interrupted by a question from Wonyoung.

 

“But did you…”

 

“Did I…?”

 

“Did you perhaps… managed to help her embrace happiness? Like what you had promised yourself back then?” Minju withdrew from her position. Intertwining her hands, placing it in her thigh, she looked at them like she was trying to form sentences in her mind. She had opened , but then she had decided to close it again.

 

Wonyoung saw the uneasiness in Minju’s action. Mentally slapping herself, she decided to retreat. “Oh well. I think I’ll be reserving that question for our chief. Sorry, my curious got the best of me. I’ll try to remind myself of my boundaries. It won’t happen again, I promise.” Trying to quickly change the atmosphere, she then replaced the question.

 

“They say the activation of the red string—basically confirming who your soulmate is, was something enchanting like a dream, only that it’s real, which makes it even better.” Wonyoung swiftly changed the question after releasing a fake cough.

 

“I agree.” Minju smiled before taking another sip of the tea. “And by the looks of it, seems like you had your fair share of experience?” She then now tried to reverse their roles. Wonyoung blushed as she was reminded of what happened on the night of her 18th birthday. But before getting drowned by her own stream of memories, she avoided getting distracted by clicking her pen a few times. 

 

“I most certainly did. I would love to share mine, but now’s not my time. So, care to share yours?” Wonyoung said as she was rubbing the golden infinity ring in her finger using her thumb.

 

“Oh, right. How could I forget that?” Looking at Wonyoung’s finger, she too had spared her ring finger a quick glance.

 

She wasn’t sure why but upon seeing the ring there, she instantly felt relieved. She couldn’t deny to herself the fact that for a split second, she thought she wouldn’t see that certain jewelry there. That idea had brought her immense pain and uneasiness. And the last time she had felt that was during Yujin’s 18th birthday.

 

She looked at it again and she was glad that it was…

 

still there.    

 

 

  x=x  September 2, 2021  x=x

 

Hours before Yujin’s birthday, she decided to sleep over to Minju’s. Well, aside from the fact that they’re literally neighbors, Minju’s parents and Yujin’s aunt have known how close they are with each other and they don’t have anything against it so them having a sleep over wasn’t something new.

 

Also, Minju’s parents have noticed how their daughter had become more open with how she feels. Before Yujin, Minju would always just smile and nod at whatever they say, kinda like a robot of some sort, programmed to just follow whatever it is that was inputted to her but right now, it was like Minju had unlocked a part of herself that she had feared to explore before. Her smiles become a tad bit more genuine and she’s shining more than ever.

 

Yujin on the other hand, had slowly opened herself up with the idea of happiness. Of course she would still get scared, especially on the first years of trying to leave the darkness that she had called home, but what’s different now is that she had Minju with her.  

 

And her presence had made a whole lot of difference for Yujin.

 

Yujin before, would be contented by looking at others through the window of her comfort zone. She was jealous of them, but she doesn’t have the guts to break free from something that’s been a part of her life ever since she could remember. But what Minju said had left a huge impact on her.

 

‘Daeng, I wasn’t trying to forcefully pull you out of your shell. Daeng, healing takes time and I’m telling you; it’ll be fine. Take as much time as you needed. Baby steps, okay? I will just be here with you. I’ll guide you so that you would never get lost again.’

 

And so even if leaving her cage meant dying for Yujin,

 

when Minju came,

 

suddenly,

 

dying doesn’t seem like a bad thing for her anymore.

 

Dying… seemed like the new definition of ‘living’.

 

………

 

When Minju had graduated from elementary, she was actually afraid to leave Yujin behind. But looking back at the Yujin that she had first seen years ago to the Yujin that had attended her ceremony, Minju’s worries were washed away.

 

Now that she had done her part, the only thing that’s left was to believe that Yujin’s efforts all these years had paid off…

 

and

 

have faith in her.

 

And Minju was glad that she did. Upon entering high school, Yujin become that bubbly person that everyone adores. She had also started to make friends on her own. She wasn’t misunderstood by others anymore, for she had learned to always wear a smile on her face. And Minju was indeed happy for what Yujin had become.

 

She’s expanding her world right now. Many people were also starting to acknowledge her talents, her wit, her personality and just… simply her, as a person. 

 

She was there when Yujin introduced her first friend from class, a certain Shin Yuna who has a cute smile and a tall height just like the younger.

 

She was there when Yujin had introduced Yena and the gang. From a quiet and a softie Yujin, the younger had become one of the troublemakers of their circle. (Well, Minju has got nothing to do with it, blame Yena for that one.)

 

She was there when Yujin had experienced her first ever trip to detention, (with Yena, of course) for there was a certain week when she was always late on her classes and such offenses earn one a free pass in that confinement. Minju scolded Yujin that time but she could see… just by looking at the younger being in such high spirits, how this experience had brought her happiness.

 

(Though Yujin still earned a pinch or two on her side and Minju made her swear not to get late on her classes again.)

 

Yujin’s world indeed had become bigger. She had met many people and while Minju was happy and proud of her, she also couldn’t help but feel uneasy.

 

It wasn’t a secret to everyone that Minju and Yujin harbored feelings for each other. Yena played huge role though, into pushing the two to confess and it was a relief that everything went fine after that. What’s more lovely than a ‘childhood-friend-turned-lovers’ story, right?

 

But Minju wishes that more than a story that was only meant to be told and be given its proper end, for theirs to become something they could hold on to and cherish for life. 

 

Everything went really, really fine after that. Their relationship was smooth sailing; they fought like normal lovers do but they would always reconcile afterwards because they couldn’t really stand not talking to each other and not being able to feel each other’s warmth. Other than that, they were super fine. Like, really. 

 

Their relationship was too good that it had planted an unsolicited anxiety on Minju. But they always talk about things, especially those that bothers them the most.  

 

Sitting on the veranda outside Minju’s room, gazing at the stars above them, Minju uttered, “Daeng, you’ll be turning eighteen half an hour from now.” Minju leaned her head on Yujin’s shoulder.

 

“Hmmm? And what about it? What bothers my Minmin right now?” Yujin placed her arms on Minju’s waist, pulling her close. She also planted a soft kiss on Minju’s head, trying to calm her down.

 

Heaving a deep sigh, Minju answered. “You turning 18 also means there’s a high possibility that you’ll be meeting your soulmate, right? What if it wasn’t me? What if the string wouldn’t show itself once the clock strikes twelve? Would you ever regret meeting me and falling in love with me? Coz you know, everything would be easier if it was your soulmate whom you have fallen in love with, right?” Minju then hid her face in Yujin’s neck, tears are starting to blur her vision.

 

“Everything will be fine, trust me. So what if you’re not my soulmate? So what if we’re not bound by that red string? So what if the universe will play with us? I told myself… I promised myself… that even if I wasn’t, I would do everything… I would defy every natural law… just so I could be with you. Just so I could spend the rest of my life with you. Just so… Just so it’s you I would wake up to every mornings…“

 

Yujin then reached for Minju’s hand and intertwined it with hers.

 

“Just so… it is your hand I will always hold…

 

Just so… I’ll be able to sleep well during the night knowing that I have you in my arms…

 

Just so I could say that, ‘Ah, this life wasn’t perfect at all but who even wants perfection if there wasn’t a certain Kim Minju in it?’

 

Just so…

 

every

 

in’

 

rainy day

 

will be a little less sad

 

and the

 

radiance

 

of the moon

 

a tad bit brighter.

 

I had regretted many decisions in my life that I could even pile it up and it’ll form a mountain, but meeting you…

 

Falling in love with you…

 

Knowing that someone as wonderful as you exist…

 

It was never one of them.”

 

A smile formed on Minju’s face. Hearing these words from Yujin herself had brought her the comfort and assurance she needed. Now, she’s confident they’ll be able to face everything head on and emerge victorious for as long as they have each other.

 

Minju then removed herself from the hug as she went inside to get the cake that she had personally baked for this special occasion.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter