Final

The Proposal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you ready? Did you study and memorize the chords properly? No pressure but you only have one chance to not mess this up, you know?” Jaehyuk, my best friend since we’re both in diapers, asked me as he nervously paced back and forth in my unit’s living room.

“Can you keep still? You’re making me dizzy. You look more nervous than me,” I chuckled, “Don’t worry, I’ve been perfecting this song since we’re in junior high school.” I answered him.

“Yeah, I remember that day in 9th grade when you impulsively wanted to write a song for him but you didn’t know how to start writing a song so you asked me for help. See, without me, you wouldn’t have finished your song.” Jaehyuk huffed as he carried my guitar while I stood in front of the big mirror hanging on the wall, trying to fix my clothes on last time.

After I finished fixing myself, the two of us head out of my apartment to the parking lot to find my car and go to the venue. We hopped in, we’ve decided that he’ll drive and I’ll stay in the back seat to hold my guitar, “Can’t afford to take any chances, if my guitar breaks, everything will be ruined.” I thought.

After Jaehyuk tuned on the engine of the car, I spoke up even before he can step on that gas pedal, preventing the car from moving, “Hey, Jaehyuk.” I called him which caused him to turn his head around to look at me, giving me a curious look. “Thank you. If it weren’t for you, this song wouldn’t be here for us to hear.” I continued.

“No problem, my beloved bff.” He grinned at me before turning back to face in front and start the car (or else we’ll be late).

 

---

 

I rushed down from the 3rd floor of our school’s science building right after my class to go to our open field, hopefully looking for my best friend. And alas, there he is reading some book underneath a big tree, Harry Potter perhaps? He told me last week that he’ll be starting to read the series.

I ran towards him and surprised him from behind before sitting down beside him. Jaehyuk clutched his chest in surprise, “Hey! Don’t do that ever again I almost had a heart attack,” he said while eyeing me, looking disgusted, “Gross, why are you all sweaty? You look like you joined a 10-kilometer marathon.” He joked.

But I didn’t go to him to joke around because I have found out something important and I needed to tell it to him at once. When no words came out of my mouth and my face remained stoic, he felt that there was something wrong (he knows me all too well), so he asked again, “Jeongwoo? What’s wrong?”

“I like Haruto.”

There was a pregnant pause which made me start worrying about what my best friend was thinking. I swear to God if he’s judging my preferences and decisions in life, it’s friendship over for us.

I was startled when he began laughing which made me look at him, “, I know. It’s so obvious, for God’s sake. At this point, everyone already knows that, slowpoke. Well, maybe not you and Haruto I guess.” He said.

“Wha- What do you mean?!” I asked, mentally panicking. Does everybody really know? Am I that obvious?

“It’s okay Jeongwoo. Don’t worry, I was just joking about that ‘it’s so obvious’ part” He started while chuckling softly, “I approve of this little crush of yours. Haruto’s a nice guy isn’t he?” Jaehyuk asked before smiling at me genuinely. It made all of my nervousness and worries fade away. How can my friend be so kind as this?

I hugged him tight before asking my question, “Can you come to the music room after class? I need your help with something.” I asked while retracting my body from his.

“Uhm… I have soccer practice later” He apologetically said, making it sound like almost a whisper.

“Oh, it’s fine. We can meet some other time. How about tomoro-“ My words were cut off when he started talking again, “ But, it’s okay if I skip. I’ll just run some extra laps tomorrow. I’ll see you later.”

I smiled, feeling excited, and hugged him again one last time before standing up.

“You’re the best! See you later, Jaehyuk!” I shouted while waving my hand to him as I ran to my next class.

 

---

 

Currently, we’re already cruising on the expressway. Luckily, there’s not a lot of vehicles today so we don’t need to worry about being stuck in traffic. Gosh, I can’t imagine if I ever arrive late. What will happen then?

“I can’t believe that that song took 8 years in the making, and you’re finally performing it today!” He said enthusiastically which made me look at him through the front mirror.

I laughed, reminiscing everything the song went through in the past, “It was hard to start it, but it was harder to end. Without you, I don’t think I can ever finish it without you helping me start it back then.”

He looked at me from the mirror, quickly giving me a small smile before looking back to focus his eyes on the road.

 

---

 

“So… You’re planning on writing him a song, but you don’t know how to?” Jaehyuk asked, his eyes show how much he’s confused right now.

I bit my lip and hung my head low, “That’s why I need your help. I can only boast with my vocals, but my writing skills are a no no. I almost failed music last year when Mr. Son asked as to sing an original song, but you, you had the highest grade back then.”

Jaehyuk stared at me for a while before he sighed in defeat, “Fine. Let me think of some good lyrics first” He said before walking in front of the room’s window, where you can have a view of the whole field, probably to think seriously.

As I waited, I didn’t notice that my eyes are already dropping, it’s not a surprise to me after all, I just finished my PE class which was extremely tiring. I leaned on the wall across the window that Jaehyuk was standing in front of and closed my eyes briefly, ‘resting’ them.

 

Open your eyes and take in a deep breath, don’t be afraid, the darkness will pass you in time.

 

My eyes shot open after hearing Jaehyuk singing, while still looking outside of the mirror. I stood up and was about to go near him when he started singing again.

 

Open your eyes will see only kindness, I’ll be here whenever you need a home.

 

I remained frozen in my spot. Did Jaehyuk make these lyrics up just know? He’s a musical genius indeed. His voice sounds so good yet so… sad? It almost sounded like he was singing for someone.

Jaehyuk finally turned around to look at me, “How was that for an intro in your song?” He asked.

I smiled widely at him, “It’s perfect”, I answered before getting my notebook and wrote the lyrics down before the two of us went out of the room.

 

---

 

While the pair was walking towards the school’s exit, talking about the happenings on both of their days, someone tapped Jeongwoo’s shoulder from behind which prompted him to stop in his tracks (and Jaehyuk too), and turn around.

I felt dizzy, if it wasn’t for Jaehyuk’s arm on my back for support, I would have collapsed and fainted on the spot already. Because now, I’m face to face with a human being that God allotted a lot of time in sculpting.

His luscious, jet-black hair neatly swept to the side, his soft, brown eyes directly looking at me with concern evident in it, while his mouth slightly forming an ‘o’ because of the shock due to my clumsiness.

“Hey Jeongwoo, you okay?” He asked. Sometimes I forget that we’re pretty casual and a little close all because of my little crush on him getting on the way and making my heart thump loudly every time he’s near which makes me really nervous so I tend to distance myself from him these days, which is pretty hard because he’s my classmate after all.

“Uhm… Yeah,” I tried to mutter out, trying my best to avoid meeting his eyes and acting as if I was looking at something behind him. “What’s up, Ruto?” I asked, still not meeting his eyes.

Before he can answer, Jaehyuk suddenly butted in, “Hey Jeongwoo, Haruto, I just received a text from my teammate. I need to go to an urgent team meeting.” He started and looked at me with playfulness in his eyes. I tried to give him a sharp look and stop whatever he was planning, but he just shrugged before running away from us, “See you tomorrow, you two!” He shouted as he ran towards the school’s field.

I can’t believe you’ve done this to me, Yoon Jaehyuk. You’ll definitely pay for this.

“Uh, I actually wanted to ask you something” Haruto spoke with a low voice which made him sound as if he was nervous, which made me look at him in curiosity. “Go on” I answered.

“Do you want to eat with me? Let’s go grab some hamburgers near the city square.” He asked, he looked at me full of hope.

Wait, did Haruto just asked me to go out with him? Or not? Maybe he just wants some company? What is he doing? My thoughts ran wild but I wasn’t born as a coward, maybe I can be one sometimes, but not today.

“Sure, Haruto. Let’s go?” I said.

 

---

 

“Order whatever you want, it’s my treat,” Haruto said while I was scanning the menu above our heads.

We both ordered our food, looked for a free table, and sat down. While waiting for our orders, Haruto initiated a conversation, “You know, I’ve always liked your voice, Jeongwoo. When I heard it last month at the talent exhibition, even though you were singing a rock song, I felt calm and at ease, it was like I was sitting on the clouds.”

I can feel all my blood rushing up my face. What’s with the sudden compliments? You need to stop, Haruto, or else I’ll combust right here, right now.

I tried to look for words to reply but nothing came out of my mouth but a simple “Thank you”. I wanted to slap myself so hard. I’m a smart person, but when it comes to you, how come I can run out of words to say?

Haruto tried to speak again but our orders already a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter