Jackson - On Guard

Got7 Royalty AU

Generally, any time spent with Jackson was enjoyable. However, there were times you longed to be as far away from him as possible. Like right now. You hated this. Him standing in front of you with his sword pointed your way. His eyes narrowed in concentration. For heaven’s sake, he was the best swordsman in the kingdom! Yet here you were, a king and his guard, weapons drawn for “training.”

“Ready?” The king smirked and adjusted his stance. You hesitated to answer the question, but he lunged at you anyway. You sidestepped the attack and followed with a block of his blade as he swung sideways at you.

“Have you gone mental, your Majesty?” You spun on your heel and swung back, avoiding his open back and choosing instead to swing at his heels. If you were lucky, he’d lose his balance and you could end the spar.

Instead, he leaped away, avoiding the tip of your blade, leaving it to drag across the ground. A mistake. His blade pressed against the side of your neck and he made that annoying tsking sound. “_____, what were you thinking?”

You fought not to roll your eyes as you sheathed your blade with care, conceding defeat. “My job is to protect you, not maim you.” You were used to sparring with members of the guard; many of the men were eager to test you given your ruthless reputation. Many of them ended up with bruised egos.

He scoffed and did the same, then slung an arm around your shoulders. “_____, we’re the best sword wielders in the world! How can we maintain such an impressive title if we don’t practice?”

“Your Majesty, I am able to train with others if you doubt my—”

“I don’t doubt you. I doubt me.” He stopped and turned you towards him. His fingertips lifted your face up towards his. “What's the point of being the best if I cannot protect you as well? I don’t want to rust away while you put your life on the line.”

You sighed and pulled away. He didn’t realize his effect on people, on you. “I understand your thinking but, with all due respect, I won’t lift my sword to you the way you want. The thought of harming you goes against the reason I accepted the duty. There are plenty others in the castle who’d be willing to keep you in shape.”

“But they aren’t you.” His tender gaze echoed the sincerity in his words. To hell with his double meanings. “They aren’t the best. You can’t keep a sword sharp using the same leather you use for shears!”

“What are you saying?”

“That I need to be as good as you, if not better.” He took your hands in his. “I wouldn’t forgive myself if anything ever happened to you, so I want to protect you like you’ve done for me.” He brought your hands to his face and brushed his lips over your knuckles. “You’ve been there for me for as long as I remember. Even through my rebellious phase.” He chuckled and his eyes lit up with mirth, but he quickly returned to his somber thoughts. “I don’t know what I’d do if I lost you.”

It’s all too easy to fall in love with him. So easy to misconstrue his caring, friendly nature for something more. To forget that being this close to the sun will leave you charred. You may spend more time with him than anyone else in the kingdom, but nothing will come of it. You’re from two different worlds.

He needed to remember that.

It took quite a bit of effort to step away from him, pulling your hands free.

“Wha—”

You drew your sword, gripping the hilt with both hands. “I am _____, member of the Royal Guard. I vow to give my life to protect His Majesty from any and all threats,” you looked him in the eyes and lowered your voice, “even from himself.”

His mouth dropped open, “Me? How am I threatening myself?”

“Your words can give someone the wrong impression. They might think you’re in love with me or something. I’d rather die than have someone use me to get to you. So, you must remember that I’m nothing more than a tool to serve the royal family.” You tightened your grip on your sword.

Jackson was silent for a moment. The shock on his face slowly morphed into a mask devoid of emotion. “So, that’s it then? You just recite your oath and tell me my feelings don’t mean anything to you?”

In an instant, your heart swelled with emotion then broke open, leaving you with a searing pain. ‘It’s for his own good.’ You nodded.

Jackson nodded with you and unsheathed his sword. “How about a little wager?”

Now it was your turn to be shocked and confused. A bet? At a time like this? “What did you have in mind, Your Majesty?”

“We’ll have a duel. The first one to disarm the other wins.” He shrugged as if it were no big deal.

“And the stakes?” You lowered your blade. You knew exactly where this was going but didn’t have the guts to stop him.

“If I win, you’ll take back everything you just said. If you win, I won’t try to change your mind.”

“Ever?”

He nodded. “Never again.”

Despite the despair of losing what could have been a beautiful thing, you knew it was for the best. It was your duty. “Okay then. Deal.”

He smirked and assumed his stance. It was different from before. His form was impeccable. He his lips and grinned. “Now this is more like it. Don’t hold back, _____.”

“This time I won’t.” You promised as you made the first move.