Your Company is Enough

Your Company is Enough

~

Jongwoon groaned quietly to himself, leaning on his desk and saving his current document. He had been working with this author all week and it feels like every time he turns around, he has more work to do. This is his second time with this same author and he wrongly thought they couldn’t get worse than they were during the first project. Jongwoon had been thinking he needed a bit of a break when his phone lit up signaling a new message. He smiled to himself when he noticed it was from Kyuhyun.

“Today is your short day, right?” The message read.

“Yeah. Can’t come fast enough. Are you stuck late again?”

“Nope, we finished the initial design and are ready to talk to the client at the end of the week, so I’m leaving in about twenty minutes. We have to go in early tomorrow though to look at it with a fresh perspective. Are you free after work?”

“I have a bunch of errands to run. Haven’t had any time to go recently as you know.”

“That’s fine. I’ll be waiting at your place then.”

“You sure? We haven’t had any time together recently; it seems disappointing to spend it doing errands.”

“It’s still time together though and that’s the important part. See you in a little while.” Jongwoon smiled as he set his phone back down. Once Kyuhyun said his goodbyes there was no point texting him again unless there is something important to add, especially if he was at work. But just that short conversation left Jongwoon in a better mood, Kyuhyun always has that effect on him.

“Must have been Kyuhyun, huh.” Jongwoon glanced up, used to Heechul trying to sneak up on him. “You have that dorky grin on your face you get any time you are texting Kyu.” Heechul said before Jongwoon could bother asking anything.

“Shut up. It’s not like you are any different.”

“Maybe. So, what’s up?”

“With my work or Kyuhyun?”

“I know who your client is and don’t think I want to hear about that headache at the moment, so yes, with Kyuhyun. I haven’t seen him in a while.” Heechul pulled up a chair next to Jongwoon and placed a coffee in front of him.

“Did you really go to the shop without me?” Jongwoon asked inspecting the drink.

“Be happy I got you a drink. If we went together again, Jungsu would never let us hear the end of it. Anyways, seriously, what’s Kyuhyun been up to?”

“Mostly working. With both our schedules right now, we’ve barely had the chance to see each other. But now he’s getting off work early today.”

“Oooh, date night,” Heechul teased, doing a little shimming immediately avoiding the incoming punch from Jongwoon.

“I would hardly call it a date. I have to run errands after work, and he wanted to join. Any time together, right?”

“Don’t think so negatively bout it. Running errands can still be a date. Look you two are getting just so domestic. You weren’t this cutely domestic back in college.”

“We weren’t dating when you and I were in college.”

“You two teetered the line between dating or not for years, just because you didn’t make it official until his last year, doesn’t mean you couldn’t have been domestic before. Instead, you were annoying.” Jongwoon rolled his eyes.

“Why am I friends with you again?”

“Because I’m amazing and you love me.” Jongwoon scoffed. “But since you two are becoming more domestic.”

“Will you stop saying domestic?” Jongwoon interrupted.

“No. Have you thought of taking your domesticity to the next level and actually moving in together?”

“We have talked about it, but considering we work almost on opposite sides of the city, we haven’t worked out a good middle ground yet. That and I still have another few months on my apartment’s lease, it would cost more for me to try and move out before it’s up. So, we put the conversation on hold for a bit.”

Heechul had obviously intended on continuing their conversation, but Jungsu caught them chatting at that moment.

“Heechul, will you go back to work and stop distracting Jongwoon while you’re at it.”

“Hey, we always get our work done on time. I don’t know what you’re complaining about,” Heechul stated, but got up anyways and headed back to his own desk across the room.

 

~

 

A couple hours later, Jongwoon was finally getting home from work and as expected, Kyuhyun was chilling on his couch when he opened the door. The way Jongwoon’s apartment was set up, Kyuhyun was actually facing away from him, so Jongwoon could see him playing one of his phone games. He knew he wasn’t actually sneaking up on him, but he still just quietly leaned over the back of the couch, sliding an arm over Kyuhyun’s shoulder, making sure to not disrupt Kyuhyun’s game as he gave him a hug.

“Hey,” Kyuhyun whispered. “I wasn’t expecting you yet.”

“Yeah, managed to get out just a little earlier.”

“I’m almost done with my game, I’ve been struggling with this level for a while now. Sorry.”

“Don’t worry, keep playing. I still need to change.” Jongwoon gave Kyuhyun a quick peck on the cheek and rubbed his shoulders as he pulled away though he could feel Kyuhyun lean into the touch slightly.

“So, what all errands are we running?” Kyuhyun asked a couple minutes later.

“Well, groceries for one, and I also need to get some new work shirts. That’s the important stuff. Figured I’d pick up some other stuff that’s maybe not as immediately needed but may as well look for while I had the time to shop. And then mom asked if I could pick up some stuff for the dogs and drop them off today along with a couple other things, if you’re good with making a stop at my parent’s place.”

“Sure, I haven’t seen them recently. Are we going to do that first, or last?”

“Probably first, we can stop off at the pet store on the way and that way we don’t have to carry it for very long. And stop off at the mall from their place and then we can leave groceries for last.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

 

“You know, I wasn’t sure your mom was going to let us leave,” Kyuhyun joked when they were back on the train headed towards the mall.

“If we didn’t have a good reason, she was definitely going to keep us later. I did promise we would do dinner with them soon.”

“That’s fine, I enjoy their cooking, but I would rather keep most of our time together today to just us.”

“Miss me that much?” Jongwoon teased.

“You wish,” Kyuhyun said but still grabbed Jongwoon’s hand to hold.

“I missed you too. I hate when we both get busy and can’t see each other.”

“It’ll change soon,” Kyuhyun said with a definitiveness that Jongwoon didn’t catch.

“I hope so.”

When they got to the mall, the first thing they did was head to the clothing store for Jongwoon to pick out some dress shirts. Kyuhyun picked out a few for him with more wacky designs that Jongwoon’s fashion sense refused to even humor. Though Kyuhyun did talk him into getting a cartoony tie. Kyuhyun picked up a couple things for himself as well with Jongwoon’s help.

Afterwards they spent some time wandering around the mall, stopping into various stores as they pleased. Jongwoon found a few more movies to add to his collection as well as got himself a new phone charger. Kyuhyun on the other hand was eyeing a few new games only one of which he decided to buy, Lastly, they both picked themselves up a couple new books to read from the bookstore.

“We maybe should have stopped back at the apartment first,” Kyuhyun said while they were loading up their cart of groceries.

“It’s fine, we didn’t get that much, we can carry it all. It’s not that far.”

“Yes, but it would have been easier.”

“Do you need me to carry your bags Kyuhyun?”

“Don’t offer that if you don’t mean it.”

“It’s more that I’ll regret it because you’d leave me with all the bags even though I’m pretty sure we’re buying twice as much as I originally planned because you keep adding,” Jongwoon pointed out just as Kyuhyun was adding a box of his favorite snack to the cart.

“What? I’m helping.”

“Come on, let’s go before you break my budget.” Jongwoon pushed the cart away heading towards the checkout, though not before Kyuhyun threw in a couple more items.

 

It was a short walk home, but Kyuhyun still managed to complain though Jongwoon reminded him that it was Kyuhyun’s fault for adding so much. As they started putting things away, Jongwoon raised the question of dinner plans, offering to order something to be delivered.

“Actually, I want to cook something. It’s a little bit of why I kept adding things. There’s a new recipe I’m trying, and I think you’ll like it.”

“Uh, sure.” Jongwoon was not expecting that, but who was he to deny his boyfriend wanting to cook him dinner. “Anything I can help with?”

“No. I got it.” Kyuhyun tried to shoo Jongwoon completely out of the kitchen, but Jongwoon wasn’t having it. He did however move out of the way where he could watch Kyuhyun cook and talk to him without blocking him.

It took some time to make, so it was a late dinner for them, but neither minded it. Jongwoon took lots of pictures of Kyuhyun cooking much to Kyuhyun’s dismay, though he didn’t really try to stop him.

“I know we said we were going to wait a bit longer before we discussed it more,” Kyuhyun started once they were eating at the table. “But what do you think of moving in together.”

“Well, we’d have to figure out where the best place between our jobs is to make it easiest on both of us to deal with the increased commute time. But I’d love to know, no matter how busy our schedules are, we will at least be coming home to each other every day.”

“I had been looking recently, and what about the neighborhood over by the park we like? It would be a similar distance to your work and we both like the area.”

“But what about you, that would more than triple the time it takes you to get to work. Do you really want to travel that far every day?” Jongwoon asked. He knew the exact area Kyuhyun was talking about, Jongwoon had previously looked for a place near there when he ended up getting his current apartment. But it was even further from Kyuhyun’s job than where he is now.

“Well, what if it doesn’t?” Kyuhyun answered vaguely with his own question.

“How would it not?”

“What if I told you, that this is my last week at my job?”

“What? Why? They didn’t fire you, did they?” Jongwoon questioned suddenly very worried.

“No. I actually got a new job, one a lot closer to here, though that’s not the reason I picked that job,” Kyuhyun explained and Jongwoon sighed in relief. “Do you remember the company I applied for back when I was about to graduate?”

“Yeah, but they didn’t have any openings for entry level positions at the time.”

“Right, so I ended up at my current company. And while I like the work I’m doing, it’s not my preferred career. It’s in my field but not the exact line of stuff I wanted to do. Well, I was looking, and they had positions available that between working for a couple years now and having my degree, I was much more qualified for this time around and last week they called and told me I got the job. But that’s also half of the reason I was suddenly so much busier at work. After I got the call, I talked to my boss and we decided on my exit strategy from my team and thus I was putting in extra hours."

“And you didn’t tell me before now that you even had the interview?”

“Sorry, you were really busy, and I didn’t want to make you fret about it. If I told you, you would have made us both anxious. And then I really wanted to tell you in person and not through text or even call when I actually got the job.”

“Okay, I get it. I’m a worrier. Anyways, congratulations. I’m a little shocked by the sudden news, but I’m really happy for you. I remember you said a few years ago that this was your dream job.”

“It is. And honestly, I am still shocked by it myself.”

“So, if this is your last week at your job, when do you start the new one?”

“I actually don’t start for about three weeks, though I’ll have to head in for some preliminary hire stuff a couple times before then,” Kyuhyun explained.

“But that means we can start apartment hunting next week then.”

“Exactly.”

“And in the meantime, you can stay here as much as you want,” Jongwoon suggested with a little smile.

“I can. If it weren’t for the fact that we both want and need a bigger place, I would just move all my stuff here over the weekend and call it good.”

“If we have to make that work, then we will. But when we start looking, we will figure out what the best plan is. Whether that’s paying the extra money to get out of my lease early, or just still paying for two apartments for a few more months. We’ll work it out. Though for the rest of tonight, I think we should celebrate. Would have been nice to take you out on a real date to celebrate instead of running you around town doing errands.”

“This was enough of a date for me. It’s just about being together, isn’t it?”

“Of course. But that doesn’t mean I don’t want to spoil you sometimes. Especially since we haven’t had the time. And more so because you had big news for us to celebrate.”

“I don’t need anything fancy. We’re long past the time of you actively needing to woo me.”

“Oh really?” Jongwoon questioned smugly. “Then what was that expensive wine you put in the cart earlier?”

“That’s just good taste. But speaking of,” Kyuhyun suddenly got up and grabbed the bottle of wine and a couple wine glasses. “If you want to celebrate, it’s a good option.” Jongwoon couldn’t help but agree and let Kyuhyun pour them each a glass. They shared a little toast and cleaned up their dinner as they savored their wine. To finish off the night, they settled in to watch the movie Jongwoon bought earlier and just relax in each other’s company.


A/N:
So, here's a little late Kyusung fic for Kyusung day.
It's been a really rough week for me so I didn't get to do any writing until Monday evening and actually got most of this written but had to take a short break and get an opinion to finish it. This story was actually one I started almost a year ago and it attempt to evolve beyond what I wanted so it got set aside until now as I had the idea still in my head and knew I could write it in a short enough time.
Anyways, happy belated Kyusung day.
^^♥