Grocery Shopping

The Housewife

Choi Yena just wanted a small, simple, yet high-paying job. The type of job where it can only be found in colorful dreams and imagination with the unicorns flying around, but alas! She actually has one.

She got lucky when her best friend and girlfriend (they aren't legal yet, but she's already trying to woo her girlfriend's parents), Chaewon, whose family owns a huge chain of private, local supermarkets, offered her a job. 

 

But little did she know, it would be that boring.

 

Well, not boring boring, but y'know?

 

Anyway, her everyday routine as a butcher in Ssamu Shop, the Kim family's only small and private market in Jeonju, has always been the same ever since she was accepted.  

  1. open the market,
  2. arrange the meats,
  3. tend customers,
  4. eat and nap,
  5. close the store at 7 p.m.,
  6. repeat 1-5 tomorrow.

 

Of course, she wasn't alone. She has a co-worker and best buddy, Kang Hyewon, who takes care of the 'vegetables and fruits' section. And whenever they're together, sometimes they play; most of the time, they bicker with the most minor things.

 

Pretty petty, as you may say.

 

But it was fun. They weren't called the 'comedic duo' for nothing. However, workers are workers. They get tired, too; they are still humans, after all. So it's not all the time they are free, and so sometimes, Hyewon takes day-offs to have, well... a day off. And vice versa.

Clingy as it may sound, it's always 2-1 = 0 for this tandem. And so if one skips the day, the day would be longer for the other, and work gets way more boring than it usually was. 

 

Just like now. 

 

Hyewon, unfortunately, took a day off for her 'special' date with her girlfriend. Of course, Yena had no choice but to do an overtime job and do all the things the two of them should be doing. Yup, the example of a boring workday.

 

"Sigh. Now, what am I gonna go?"

 

Yena was sitting on a stool behind the meat counter with her right elbow resting on the countertop and her face supported by her palm. Her eyes bore at the middle-sized ceramic, white Japanese cat (Maneki-Neko) sitting on top of the cash register, following the hand's up-and-down movements.

She then looked up and glanced at her front, where the clock was hung. It was only half-past 4 p.m.

 

Two and a half more hours left!!!

 

*Cling cling*

 

"어서 오세요*" Yena stood up and quickly fixed her brown leather apron as she bowed, greeting the incoming customer.

When Yena looked up, she had to stretch her neck up further because the customer, a woman, surprisingly, was a head taller than her. 

 

However, something was off about her, a certain feeling that sent chills down her spine. No, it wasn't because she was pretty-handsome (a pretty girl who's handsome too, you get it?), with slightly tanned smooth skin, noble and fresh features; strict dark-brown eyes, pointed nose, plump lips, and low tied ponytail black hair. The black turtle neck she wore was delicate and molded her figure quite well. The denim pants sculpted her legs which looked slim yet firm. She was also wearing a white apron with brown shoulder straps and a sown green cartoon toad at the front.

 

So Yena didn't know whether she would smile, laugh, or cower in fear.

 

"What're you looking at?" Her voice was sharp and direct.

 

Yup, cower in fear. It made Yena want to bow her head down in respect, the head-touching-the-floor one. 

 

"N-nothing, m-ma'am. Which meats would you like here?" Yena said as she gestured towards the meat cuts on display. 

A slim hand adorned with one gold ring on its ring finger slowly rose and hovered over the glass. The woman bent down a little more and tucked the hair behind her ear that accidentally covered her eyesight with her recent action, making Yena see something under her earlobe behind her ear (mastoid bone). Something that made her eyes wide and her blood freeze.

 

Tattoo!

 

Not just any tattoo but the kind of tattoo that wasn't meant to be seen! 

 

What was a mafia doing in the neighborhood?!

 

"Hey," Yena looked up and broke out in cold sweat; dark eyes were glaring at her! "Pay attention."

"Y-yes, ma'am!" She stood straight as a pole. 

 

Why did she have to have such bad luck?!

 

"Give me three servings of daeji galbi* and four cuts of samgyeopsal*. Please make it fast, I h-"

"Got it, ma'am! I WILL MAKE IT AS FAST AS I CAN! PLEASE DON'T WORRY!" Yena said (read: shouted) as she prepared and chopped the meats as if she was Gordon Ramsey.

She had never rushed so fast in her entire life. Her hands were practically a blur as she sliced the pork belly, ensuring it was in the correct sizes.

She glanced up quickly and moved faster after seeing the mafia standing at her front with hands in her pockets, slouched and glaring again!

 

Does that mean she wasn't moving fast enough?! YES!

 

She quickly wrapped the meats up in a brown paper bag and manually entered a weight into the scale. She sweated at how slow the printer was printing the receipt and barely restrained herself from tearing it out.

"Here you go, ma'am! I GAVE YOU A DISCOUNT, MA'AM!" She handed her the bag of meat with two hands as she bowed, her eyes looking down respectfully.

When the meat was taken off her hands, she looked up to see the mafia was putting the meat into her cute, brown eco-bag.

 

"You got good hands, butcher."

 

With that, the mafia walked away, and she could breathe a sigh of relief.

 

"!"

 

What was a mafia doing in their neighborhood, and why did she look so casual?!

 


 

"Miss Ahn Yujin-ssi, how are you?" A short brunette lady in a bun at the register warmly greeted the woman in front of her. "Have you settled well into your apartment?"

 

Ahn Yujin had just moved into her building and lived in the apartment next door to her a week ago. She was a relatively quiet woman but enthusiastic about being a housewife since it seemed that her wife was the household's breadwinner.

 

In fact, they were a pretty progressive household.

 

"Yes, Kim Taeyeon-nim. My wife gave me her Lotte points card to use whenever I do grocery shopping in supermarkets." She reached into her back pocket and pulled out a wallet. Yujin then slid the card on top of the register in front of her.

 

Taeyeon smiled at her actions as she kept on scanning her valuables. But before she could place them into a plastic bag, Yujin immediately showed her right opened palm, motioning to stop her actions. She then raised her left arm, showing the eco-bag her hand was holding. 

 

"My wife said no plastic." Taeyeon gave a gentle laugh, nodded, and grabbed the bag from her.

"Alright, alright."

 

She was such an excellent wife to listen to her lover that well.

 

But Yujin's lover reminded her so much of her wife, Tiffany, who was currently tending their two-year-old child at home. Very strict and organized. Brrr.

 

"Are you having a 고기구이* night, Yujin-ssi?" Taeyeon asked. She noticed that most of the items were for grilling. She grabbed the points card, scanned it, and gave it back. "Special occasion?"

"Hmmm," Yujin hummed and looked up in response before pausing, seeming to remember something.

"Yes, my wife's promotion."

Taeyeon gave a big smile and handed the bag over to her. "Well, you have my congratulations! That'll be 90,000 won in total."

 

Taeyeon couldn't hide as her eyes widened in shock when Yujin opened the insides of her wallet. Her eyes spotted two metallic cards and at least three black cards!

 

Three! Black! Cards!

 

WHAT?! How rich was this woman to have three of them?!
 

"Ahh, I'm not supposed to use these," Yujin looked at her incredulously as she noticed Taeyeon's eyes on her wallet. "My wife gave me cash to use. Here you go."

Taeyeon unknowingly held her hand out and processed her transaction almost in a daze.

 

How was she not supposed to use those?! Only the richest had those kinds of cards, and she had three of them!

 

"Thank you, Taeyeon-nim. I'll be off."

 

She stared, still in a daze, at her figure until she disappeared.

 

Was her wife a chaebol*?!

 


 

When Yujin stepped foot into her home, she immediately unloaded all the ingredients she bought on the counter and placed the others inside the refrigerator to chill.

When she closed the fridge, she stared at the sticky note taped to the refrigerator for a minute. She closed her eyes for a few seconds and sighed before looking at the clock.

She had at least two hours before she had to start preparing dinner.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My jaging~♡,                                                                           

Don't forget your glasses!

You look like you're glaring when you don't wear them! And people get scared!

And oh, take the eco-bag, ok? Let's save mother earth!

Also, use the Lotte points card! I BADLY want my points!!!

And don't use the black cards, that's why I gave you cash~

I love you, my cold mafia jagi~!

                                                            Your yeobo,

                                                             Minmin♡

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

Ahhhh.

 

"My bad," She muttered, now noticing why that butcher looked as if she saw a ghost.

 

She had forgotten her glasses.

 


A/N. Hi, hello. Took me a year to finally finish this one, lol. And I'm corny; I'm so sorry! But I hope you guys liked it!! And since I'll be having more time now, I hope I can continue writing so that I can update the other stories and those prompts in the drafts kek. 

 

어서 오세요 - Welcome!/Please come in!

고기구이 - Korean BBQ

daeji galbi - Korean name for pork ribs, a cut of pork that’s usually used for traditional Korean barbecue

samgyeopsal - South Korean delicacy consisting only of pork belly, the most expensive cut of pork in the country.

chaebol - [from] a rich family