bloom

lotus

Jeon Jungkook doesn't like his boyfriend buying things for him. In every date they had, he makes sure that they both pay equally, much to Seokjin's dismay.

 

Kim Seokjin was born with a silver spoon. It should be given that he would be the one to buy more gifts and pay on dates. Seokjin and Jungkook met at college and Seokjin took an interest with the most talk-of art student in the campus that won multiple inter-school contests with his paintings. Jungkook being the shy freshman, got so intimidated when the famous music major suddenly asked for his number when they crossed paths at the library. It took them a couple of months before they officially turned boyfriends.

 

One thing Seokjin learned about Jungkook is that he is from a poor family, his parents separated when he was 15, got accepted at university through scholarship, and that he never liked accepting money even if it's intention is to help him. It's not that he's prideful, but Jungkook doesn't want to owe anybody. It was the tricky part in the early stage of their relationship because Seokjin so badly wants to spoil his boyfriend gifts, but Jungkook never accepts them. Later on they came to an agreement that gifts will only be given during important dates: birthdays, anniversaries and holidays. Other than that, no gifts will be given and that they have to pay separately on every date.

 

Seokjin did not understand at first, but he did later on. Being able to witness Jungkook's determination (stubbornness) made him realize that Jungkook doesn't want to be seen as a weakling just because he was born poor. That even with his social status, he can make his own money and doesn't want other people's pity. Maybe it was even an insecurity of the younger when they started dating, given that Seokjin is well-off compared to him. That's why Seokjin tried his best not to show off, and made Jungkook comfortable as much as possible without using too much of his wealth.

 

Now three years later, Jungkook was able to participate on a charity event with his paintings up for sale. It's his first time to openly display his paintings and even selling it. He only used to do commissions and this being offered to him will be his big break and finally get the recognition he deserves.

 

“Hyung, you came!” Jungkook ran across the room towards his boyfriend and practically almost tackled him to the ground if Seokjin wasn’t able to balance himself. Jungkook is giddy and Seokjin just cooed at him.

 

“Of course, baby. Can’t miss this for the world.” Jungkook beamed at him, showing off his two front teeth. Seokjin kissed his forehead and looped his arms around Jungkook. “Now give hyung a tour I wanna see my baby’s artworks.”

 

“Hyuuung,” Jungkook whined but still s his arms around Seokjin’s waist. “I’m not the only artist here.”

 

“But you’re the best one.” He booped Jungkook’s nose who pouted but still can't stop smiling.

 

They walked around the small studio, stopping by some artwork and took their time discussing with each other. There are moments where Jungkook is held captive by people who recognized him. He engage in small talks albeit shyly, Seokjin could only sigh in happiness watching his other half do his own thing. By the end of the event, Jungkook got the most sales and almost everything from his collection got sold. After he received his share, Jungkook and Seokjin leaves, deciding to celebrate with takeout and studio ghibli at the comforts of their home.

 

But then, before Jungkook could enter their bedroom, he noticed a medium sized canvas covered with kraft paper sitting in their living room. He did a double take before making his way at it.

 

He ripped the kraft paper and revealed a painting from one of his very old collection. He gasped and turned to look at Seokjin, who had the gall to look sheepish standing behind the living room closet.

 

“I know that look, let me explain first.”

 

“Hyung...”

 

Seokjin sighed and removed himself from the closet then approached Jungkook. “You bought this.”

 

“Yeah.” He took the painting from Jungkook and carefully placed it on the empty space on their wall at the living room, right above the couch, which magically had a nail pinned on it already. When Seokjin managed to hand the painting and adjusted it so it won't tilt, he took a step back and admired the newly added piece inside their home.

 

“Hyung, did you buy it to help me on the charity event? You didn’t have to.” Seokjin smiled at the painting before turning to Jungkook. He placed a tender touch on his cheek before grabbing it with both of his hands then leaned in to give Jungkook a chaste kiss.

 

“That, and also because I like this painting specifically.” Jungkook raised a questioning eyebrow at him. “This is the first painting I watched you paint in college. Reminds me of when I first fell in love with you.” Jungkook’s gaze soften at that and gave Seokjin a loving smile, nearly tearing up.

 

“You could’ve asked for it, hyung. You didn’t have to buy it for me.”

 

“I didn’t know you still had it until I saw it earlier. Before we met I already settled it on account then asked Jiyeong to deliver it home.” Jungkook removed himself from Seokjin’s grasp and hugged his boyfriend. Tightly.

 

“I’ll take this as you not getting mad that I practically gave you money.”

 

 “No, hyung. I’m happy. And it wasn't even that expensive anyway." Seokjin laughed at that and smack his boyfriend's arm lightly. "I could have bought all those paintings if we only have a mansion, Kook."

 

“Meh, I don't like big houses."

 

"I know, baby. We're comfy like this." Seokjin tightened their hug that made them wrestle for a moment, happily giggling with each other. "Thank you, hyung." Jungkook said after a while, the older could only kiss the side of Jungkook's head.

 

“Anything for you, Kook. Anything for you.”

 

They hugged for a while and when they broke off, their gaze traveled back to the painting.

 

It’s one of the simplest painting Jungkook had done as it was only a requirement for his major back in college, and is also one of the cheapest painting at the event. But somehow, now, it become the most valuable thing in their apartment.

 

A painting of lotus pond with intricate brush and impasto making it look more realistic and beautiful even.

 

“Why the lotus pond Jungkook?” He asked right after Jungkook decided to take a 30 minute break.

 

“Hmm, my professor asked us to paint something symbolic.”

 

"Ahh, then what does a lotus flower symbolizes?”

 

Jungkook got up from his seat in front of the easel and plopped down beside Seokjin in the bean bag. Seokjin complained about being squashed but still wrapped his arms around Jungkook’s tiny waist, engulfing him with his wide torso.

 

“Rebirth? Purity?  Enlightenment?” Seokjin rolled his eyes. It was very shallow and straight to the point, nothing like Jungkook. The said guy just giggled and laid his head on Seokjin’s chest.

 

“The first time you asked for my number, my book was opened to a page about lotus flowers and their meaning. They're grown from mud and away from the light, but they grow later on, and when they do, they bloom beautifully under the sun.”

 

“You somehow became my light and that I was able to bloom now. It is you hyung, it symbolizes you.”