To Know When One is Screwed

Your Pretty Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung immediately knew something was different with just one look at Sana's reaction.

 

Normally it was clear to see who would be Sana’s target for the day as her eyes often trailed after them discreetly. But right now, Sana was anything but discreet as she blatantly stared with gaping. 

 

It was obvious to see the difference. 

. . .
 

Sana and Chaeyoung had known each other since elementary school, meeting when they had been paired up by their teacher for a project. They found that they worked well together, with Chaeyoung drawing little pretty pictures as a diagram while Sana talked for the both of them as they presented in front of the class. It may have seemed to be a weird pairing to the other students that they couldn’t wrap their heads around at that age because of how different they were. I mean how could the bubbly, popular Sana ever like a weird loser such as Chaeyoung? But the thing was that she did, very much so, and Chaeyoung liked her as well. 

 

(Little Sana broke off a piece of her cookie and put it out towards Chaeyoung, an expectant look on her face. “Friends?”)

 

Besides, they shared a dislike for the class (and judging classmates). 

 

And it didn’t matter what anyone thought because they stuck together through all those years. Through the lame middle school years and through the strange new experience of high school, up until where they were now in university. 

 

It was always them, just Chaeyoung listening to Sana ramble about some random topic as she clung to her side (she couldn’t get rid of Sana even if she tried). It became their kind of normal. 

 

They shared an apartment complex as they both attended the same university. What are the odds? Living with one another was...different. 

 

But not the bad kind. 

 

. . .

 

“Sana!”

 

Chaeyoung knocked on the bathroom door for the nth time, while Sana ignored her, continuing to hum a nameless tune. Checking the time again, Chaeyoung threw her hands up into the air, astounded at the amount of time the older girl has been in the bathroom for, doing god-knows-what. 

 

“Sana, at this rate we’re going to be la-”

 

A sudden crash sounded inside, cutting her off mid-sentence. Clumsy Sana appears again! She thought once again. If they were being honest, Chaeyoung wasn’t surprised. Not at all. Based on the sound, she deduced that Sana tripped over her own feet and knocked over the cups on the counter. The majority of her guesses were typically accurate, depicting what exactly happened (or what Sana did). 

 

She’s had a lot of practice. 

 

“I’m okay!” A shout. 

 

Chaeyoung (fondly) rolled her eyes. This was basically their “normal,” everyday routine. Sana knocking at least one object over, and just barely getting to anywhere on time was just the usual. Meanwhile, the younger would be bound to tap her foot as she constantly waited. 

 

You could say they took their own kind of comfort in the chaotic routine.

 

After a couple more minutes of impatient waiting, the door finally unlocked and clicked open. Looking exactly the same, Sana stepped out and flashed the korean a toothy grin, making Chaeyoung let out an amused chuckle. 

 

Sana grinned playfully, “Ready to go?” She raised her brow mockingly, and Chaeyoung let out a guffaw at the pure audacity.

 

The korean’s face turned serious as she straightened her stance. “Yes, of course your Majesty,” she said, bowing down in mock respect. Sana giggled at the ridiculousness. 

 

The funny thing was that under research, the two had found information online that could very well point to Sana coming from a family descended from royalty. The reliability of the statements were questionable, but they were still interesting to think about. Even funnier when playing around with the idea amongst themselves.

 

Grabbing her phone and slipping a pair of sandals on, Sana asked, “Where’d Nayeon even want to meet?” 

 

Chaeyoung closed and locked the door behind them as they left the complex. She hummed in thought, going down the flight of steps with Sana next to her. “I think she wanted to hang out at-” Chaeyoung glanced down at the time. “-Or well six minutes ago, down by the plaza thing.”

 

She didn’t think Nayeon would be too annoyed at them arriving a bit late, six minutes to be precise.

 

Jumping down the remaining steps, Sana looked back at her. “Hurry up, slowpoke,” she teased.

 

Following suit, the blonde jumped the last few steps. “Says you,” Chaeyoung stuck out her tongue at the other. “You know on any other day you would’ve totally slipped just now.” 

 

A grin. “Perhaps ~”

 

Thankfully, the location wasn’t too far from their building, so Nayeon didn’t have to wait for a long time wondering where the hell they were. 

 

As soon as they arrived, Sana scanned the tables for a familiar face before spotting her at one of the round tables under the shade. She immediately ran to hug the older girl, as if they hadn’t seen each other just a couple of days ago. 

 

Sana grinned from ear-to-ear. “Nayeon!”

 

The girl in question let out a wheezing laugh when the japanese’s body slammed into hers, making her take a few stumbling steps backwards. The wind was quite literally knocked out of her and Sana only let out a little giggle at her state. “Sorry ~”

 

Like a more normal person, Chaeyoung walked over to the table, quickly greeting the older. Nayeon, in turn, sent Chaeyoung a warm smile, her eyes crinkling into pretty crescents. The former leaned over, before- aw man. Chaeyoung whined at her hair being tousled by Nayeon’s giant hand. 

 

After successfully prying Sana off of Nayeon’s side, they sat down and ordered, each soon with their own drinks in hand. Sana bought some sort of cold brew, Nayeon had her favorite ‘Coffee Bean Hazelnut’ latte, while Chaeyoung sipped from her ‘Iced Americano.’ (Ah, the classic!) The oldest of the three paid for the drinks, by her own request, and Chaeyoung wasn’t going to argue with free food.

 

They were discussing Nayeon’s party details, which was coming around the corner. There wasn’t any particular reason for the event, just that their other friends thought it was a good time to let loose from school. It was always hard for all of them to meet up together, making Sana appreciate and be grateful that she had Chaeyoung by her side. Sana just knew the party would be chaotic. And of course, there’d be alcohol.

 

Sana looked at Nayeon curiously as she tilted her head. “Is Jeongie going to be able to make it?”

 

Sana hadn't seen the girl in a while now and the brunette frowned at the thought of yet another cancellation.

 

But Nayeon beamed, her bunny teeth showing. "Actually, yes! She said she could make it this time," and Sana squealed, while Chaeyoung beside her gasped. "How'd you manage to convince that workaholic?" 

 

“Jeongie”, or Yoo Jeongyeon, was Nayeon’s girlfriend of two years, and unfortunately, she was always busy with something. Whether that was being busy with her work or even helping other people with their stuff. Trust anybody when they said the girl was a lifesaver, but it typically led to Nayeon moping around at her own party and drinking herself until she was barely conscious. 

 

The couple may constantly act like they hate one another, but everyone else knew otherwise. It was all in the small details. The hidden ones. From the way Jeongyeon cared for Nayeon, despite the latter’s constant pestering and clinginess, ranging from the smallest things like reminding her to eat lunch every day. Or from the way Nayeon worried for her girlfriend’s health, going out with her, despite being busy, to make sure Jeongyeon took a break. 

 

And Sana adored their interactions (feeling a twinge of envy deep within her that she refused to acknowledge). 

 

With a wink and a sly grin, "I have my ways," Nayeon laughed at the face Chaeyoung made. 

 

Right as the younger was about to comment, the table suddenly vibrated and three pairs of eyes turned to stare at the source: Nayeon’s phone. The caller ID read as, “Babe.” Sana leaned back in her seat, gasping. “How did she know?” Nayeon chuckled. 

 

The phone vibrated again, and Chaeyoung nudged for the other to take the call. 

 

Nayeon picked up the phone, flashing them an apologetic smile which the two immediately waved off. Nayeon brought the phone to her ear, a giant smile spreading across her face. “I swear, you’re stalking me or something, babe.” 

 

Sana and Chaeyoung tuned themselves out of the semi-private conversation, Sana twirling her straw between her fingers absentmindedly. She tried not to let her thoughts take over.

 

Seeing Sana act in a certain way on occasions such as like this, Chaeyoung may have had an inkling of Sana’s deepest, darkest secret, or that’s what she believed as she glanced at her. 

 

Throughout all the time that Chaeyoung has known the brunette for, she had yet to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter