Surprise!

Ribbons and Wrappers

April 3, 2021

Donghae was not supposed to be late preparing Hyukjae's presents but the heavy traffic on the way to the Super Junior dorm delayed him. He came from the grocery store to pick up stuff that he will include for his gift and he has to admit that he also got distracted with the fruits section. Don't blame him, there were many avocados and frozen blueberries in stock that attracted him.

He carried to the dorm a huge carton box that he will use as a container for Hyukjae's present. He thought hard and focused what to give Hyukjae that he will be needing. And he was certain that his gift or gifts are perfect. 

 

Now the only thing left is for him to assemble the box, and put everything inside it. Easy. Donghae can handle this. He smiled happily at the thought of his Hyukkie opening it and showing his gummy smile. He only wants genuine happiness with Hyukjae and he's making sure he knows it on his birthday.

------

Beep beep. 

Donghae's eyes widened when he heard the sounds coming from the door. Was that Hyukjae already? He glanced at the clock and saw that it was almost 1AM already. 

He looks around the room hoping his surprise was well done. But it's not.

Ribbons and unevenly cut gift wrappers were scattered on the floor. With scissors on his left hand and tape on his right hand, he quickly dropped these on the bed and ran around the room to gather the trash, dump it in a plastic bag and throw it at the side, hopefully unnoticed. 

 

Footsteps came closer to Hyukjae's room and Donghae plopped himself on the bed, trying to look like he's simply lazing around and did not absolutely sweat over wrapping a gift. He was humming to a random tune and watching TV when Hyukjae came inside, a cakebox on his hand and a paperbag.

 

"Hey, you're here now." Donghae greeted him 

Hyukjae chuckled  as he removed his face mask and placed the things he carried on the side table. He went to Donghae and sat on the side of the bed. He playfully hit Donghae's arm.

 

"Ya, what's your business here and why the heck are you lounging on MY bed without MY permisison?" Hyukjae raised his brows while questioning the grinning man on his bed. 

"Of course, I'm here for my boyfriend. This is what a boyfriend is supposed to do for birthdays right?" Donghae suddenly went closer to his lover and pecked his cheeks with a kiss. Hyukjae's eyes widened as he was caught in surprise, yet his heart fluttered. 

"So cheesy. Stop that!" He whined trying to cover up how he's actually blushing and affected.

"I'm not yet even starting!' Donghae laughed and hugged his boyfriend, resting his head on the birthday boy's shoulder. He placed his lips closer to Hyukjae's ears and whispered, "Close your eyes for a while hmm? I'm gonna show you your present."

"This better not be a prank. If you pull off a joke on me I will kick you Lee Donghae." Hyukjae threatened with his eyes closed. He heard shuffling sounds coming from his back. Suddenly, it sounds like a person falling on the ground with a loud thud.

 

"Donghae what the are you doing?!" Hyukjae complained. His lover is a whole lot of clumsy, and his birthday might land them on the hospital if they aren't careful. He was about to open his eyes when Donghae stood up and covered his hand over his eyes. 

"Don't worry about me baby, I just tripped okay? Be patient. On the count of three you open your eyes okay?"

"Okay fine. But make it faster!'

"So impatient. Okay here. One, two, three!" 

 

Hyukjae opened his eyes and he saw Donghae in front of him opening a large box. As soon as it opened, small colorful balloons came up in the air. Donghae was laughing and clapping at his own surprise, and Hyukjae shook his head while laughing as well. His boyfriend is definitely creative with stuff like these. 

"Okay it's not just ballons! Come here baby, look inside!" Donghae was so excited he pulled Hyukjae by his side immediately. The birthday boy peered inside the box and was greeted by another box wrapped in gift wrapper. He grabbed it and began to peel the wrapper, and opened it quickly. 

"Snacks and chocolates?" Hyukjae squealed in delight. It's his favorite food!

"You love it right? Come on look inside, there's another box!" 

Hyukjae dug his hands inside the box and touched another box wrapped in gift wrapper. He took it out and began to unwrap it as well.

"Strawberry milk? Are you making me fat Lee Donghae?!" He whined, but loved it actually. He's gonna consume all of this.

"Nope, I'm just making you happy." 

"I know. Thank you," He smiled and locked eyes with his lover. He leaned to him and placed a soft, sweet kiss on his lips. Donghae pulled away and gestured towards the box containing strawberry milk.

"There's another thing inside baby. Look for it please" Donghae pouted and waited for Hyukjae to find the last item inside. 

 

A piece of handwritten letter was inside. Hyukjae began to read it in a whisper.

I'll hug you, will you look at me and smile like you do now

when you look at me, I'll protect you from losing that pretty smile

so from now on, don't let go of this hand

when I'm with you, all my worries disappear

as is my life has changed, I will change our life too

so that your beatidul image can last forever.

 

Happy birthday Hyukjae. My E oppa. My moon and my jewel. I will be with you forever until the next beautiful sunrise comes everyday of your life.

P.S. Eat the snacks I gave you happily okay? Dont' starve yourself. I want you to feel happy always. I love you! ^^

 

With a smile on his face, he turned around to face Donghae who was looking at him with hearts in his eyes. The birthday boy hugged his lover tight and whispered on his shoulders.

"Thank you, I love you too." 

Donghae pulled back to stare at his boyfriend's lovely face. He held his face gently and pulled him for an intimate and passionate kiss. 

"Happy birthday baby. Let's eat cake now hmm? I saw the box you were carrying earlier." Donghae asked his boyfriend happily as they walked hand in hand towards the cake box. 

"Okay sure!" He was about to grab the dessert when Hyukjae spotted a strange plastic bag beside his tent. It didn't look like it belonged there.

He suddenly pulled away from Donghae to grab the plastic bag, only to find trash of crumpled gift wraps, scotch tape, and rumpled ribbons spill out from it. Donghae suddenly grabbed the trash and chuckled nervously.

"Baby, you weren't supposed to see this mess!" He complained as he picked up the remnants of his gift preparation. He wasn't the most organized person for these stuff after all. 

Hyukjae just laughed and shook his head. He helped his poor pouting boyfriend to clean up the mess and kissed him on the cheek. 

"Ah Lee Donghae. What will you do without me?" He teased the now grinning boy on the floor.

"I would be nothing Hyukkie. That's why you should always stick with me and help me okay? Come on, let's eat! It's your birthday, let's just clean afterwards!" He excitedly pulled the birthday boy before he even got to complain about the mess left in the room. 

Hyukjae won't complain anyway. He can pass up this mess one time. It's because of a birthday gift from his boyfriend afterall. He loves him that much.

 

 

----

 

My very first Eunhae story randomly written around midnight for Hyukjae's birthday. 

Happy Birthday Jewel Boy! I love you always <3