END

Hold On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*Ring*

*Ring*

*Ring*

*Ring*

“Hello?” Nayeon was met with silence on the other end of the line. Save for the sounds of slight static, the light breathings she caught on the other side gave away who it was that called her. Moving a bit away from the device, Nayeon confirms her caller’s name after seeing the display ID.

“Mina? What’s wrong sweetie?” Nayeon sits upright by her hotel bed, the book she was reading closed beside her. The person on the other line was still silent, “Minari… What's happening love?”

A sharp intake of breath is heard before Mina starts speaking, “Unnie, this is right, isn’t it?” Nayeon’s eyebrows rise at the question, but just as quickly they relax. “Are you… having second thoughts?” there was a hint of nervousness laced in Nayeon’s voice.

The silence at the other end confirms Nayeon’s question. She sighs and takes her time in thinking what to respond, “What makes you think this isn’t right?” “It just feels different, like is this the right time or not...”

Nayeon now understands what Mina’s thoughts are saying to her, “Hey listen to me,” she starts, “It’ll be alright Minari, I told you right? I’m always going to be here, and as for the right time, there really isn’t a right time. It just depends if you want this or not…

“Do you not want this Mina? We can still call it off if you don’t want to go thru it you know-”

“No I want to do this Nayeonie”

Mina cuts off Nayeon’s statement, and Nayeon smiles although Mina can’t see her. “There you go! That’s the Minari I know and love…” She hears a giggle come from the other end, “Thank you Nayeonie… you know, for everything.” “What do you mean Mina?” Nayeon furrows her eyebrows, “For always being there, for being patient with me, for catering me, for loving me… just for simply existing in my life… you know that I love you so much, right Nayeonie?”

Nayeon only hums in confirmation, not trusting her voice to speak up to the woman on the other end of the phone. “Eh? That’s it Nayeonie? No ‘I love you too’?” Nayeon sighs and chuckles, “I love you too Minari..”

Nayeon relaxes back on her bed as the words roll off her tongue so easily. ‘ Easy... how funny ’ Nayeon continues to chuckle to herself, which didn’t go unnoticed by her caller. “What’s so funny?” Mina asks, “Nothing it’s just… this seems awfully familiar don’t you think?” She answers.

There was a moment of silence on the other line before the sound of giggles burst out the other end, “ah yes it’s almost the same…” Mina starts, “but we’ve had this same situation since we first met so at this point what’s new, right?”

Nayeon grins as Mina continues to cite the numerous instances one of them would call the other if they are flooded with thoughts of doubt.

“Remember the week before my dance recital? How I was so nervous about making a mistake?” “But you didn’t!” Nayeon answers quickly, “You danced so gracefully and beautifully. You took everybody’s breath away, including mine”

“Oh please, I just got lucky” Nayeon could imagine Mina rolling her eyes at the otherside of the line, “It’s not like yours, remember when you sang during that contest at college? God, I swear the entire time my heart was fluttering when you were singing”

Nayeon grins at Mina’s words, “You say that every time I sing-“ “I’m just stating facts” She laughs. “Well if we’re stating facts, then I guess I can openly state how you took everyone’s breath away when you got chosen as the queen during the office christmas party”

“It’s just a christmas party Nayeonie” Mina starts, “Doesn’t mean you didn’t look absolutely gorgeous that night” Nayeon slips in.

The two continue to talk for an hour before Nayeon notices the timestamp displayed on her clock on the nightstand. Mina finishes detailing a particular event from two years ago, when Nayeon decides it was time for the call to end.

“I’ve never seen you so happy Nayeonie” Mina ends, “Well tomorrow I’m going to be just as happy, if not then probably a lot happier…” Nayeon closes the light on the lamp beside her and relaxes further on her bed. “It’s late Minari, we have an early event tomorrow. We should get some sleep.”

“I know… thank you Nayeon, I felt better now than I did earlier.” The sounds of sheets rustling from the other end indicated to Nayeon that Mina was settling herself in as well. “Goodnight Nayeonie, I’ll see you tomorrow”

“Goodnight Mina, I’ll see you tomorrow too”

When the line cuts off, Nayeon looks at her phone and stares at the image of her and Mina smiling at the camera. She remembers the moment they took the photo and smiles to herself, ‘Goodnight Minari, I love you’.

Shortly after sleep takes over Nayeon, and the hotel room is filled with light snores coming from the lone occupant.

Nayeon finds herself standing on a hill near a field of flowers the next day. She takes in the sight of the arrangements made; how the chairs are being aligned and decorated with pastel colored flowers; how the choir is practicing their piece at the side; how the staff are adding pieces of what looked to be mini characters over the arch; how the same staff were laying out the pathway going to the arch.

“Lots of things to do today, huh?” Nayeon looks to her side and sees Sana with a clip board on her hand, “I don’t know, you tell me? You’re the wedding planner here” Nayeon smirks as Sana sticks her tongue out at her in response.

“I’m just praying things go according to plan-“ “It will. It’s not like this is the first time it’s happened” Nayeon cuts, “I know, but you know I’m still nervous. I’m surprised you’re not!” Sana rebutts.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Nayeon raises her eyebrow at the statement, “Well it is a big day, and you’re standing here all calm and cool, makes me think this isn’t you… who are you?” Sana jokes. But Nayeon knew the underlying question behind the joke, “I’m fine, okay? I’m actually pretty excited”

“That’s good to hear” Sana says before her attention is called by a familiar voice, “Sana-unnie, we need your help with something…” Tzuyu calls, just a little far from them. Nayeon waves at the younger girl, to which Tzuyu only nods and smiles as her hands seem to be holding a box of equipment.

“I have to go, you’ll be okay right?” Sana asks, “Yes!” Nayeon exchanges a smile with the girl one last time before she is left alone again.

This time Nayeon looks at the view behind her; standing not far from the edge of the hill, she looks to see where the sky meets the sea and soon her mind drifts to an old memory.

🐰_____🐧

“Gosh the air feels so good”

“You’re only saying that cause you sweat a lot getting up here”

“It’s not my fault I’m not physically active”

“That’s literally your fault Nayeonie”

“I know, I know but give me a break Mina-yah”

“This is why Jeongyeon-unnie always calls you grandma” Mina giggles, “We’re only a year apart, she talks as if I’m years older than her yet she never treats me as an unnie” Nayeon rants.

“Well technically you don’t act like one Nayeonie” Mina points, “Mina!” Nayeon gives Mina’s grinning face an exasperated look but soon shakes her head and sits down at the grass under them with Mina soon following her movements.

The grass was soft to the touch, the sky was clear yet it wasn’t piercing, the breeze was cool and light, and the view they were looking at was beautiful.

The sound of the sea below them played like light echoes of a chime, and it pulled Nayeon into a hypnosis. If Mina didn’t speak, she would’ve fallen asleep then and there.

“It’s gorgeous, isn’t it Nayeonie?” Mina’s voice is soft, soft as the grass; Her words are clear, not piercing just like the sky; Her expression is light and cool just like the breeze; and she is as beautiful as the image of where the sky meets the sea.

Nayeon hums in response, not trusting her voice if she spoke anything. “Do you ever wonder where we’d be years from now?” Mina questions, it takes Nayeon a moment to answer before she parts her lips to speak.

“I suppose we’d be working at some company, maybe in a high positi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter