Salut d'Amour (Love letter)

Salut d'Amour

"Today must've tired you out, you go do your thing and rest right after, okay? Goodnight my baby Wonyo!" her mom cheerfully said before closing the room's door to let the young girl do her thing before bed.

 

"Goodnight, mom." She mumbled before grabbing her phone to listen to her favourite classical playlist.

 

She decided to wash her face and brush her teeth first before fixing her study table. Few moments later, she felt tiredness get to her body. She her night lamp and closed the door and shut off the light.

 

Laying down on her bed, classical music still playing on her airpods, she just scrolled through twitter and instagram to make her more sleepy. Her eyes started getting heavy, and without noticing, she fell asleep listening to her favourite classical music.

 

 

 

"OH, MY DARLING, WONYOUNG!" A girl, relatively as tall as Wonyoung bursted into her doors wearing a long beige dress, styled with a brown corset, while her hair tied up into a beautiful bun, probably one of the most beautiful hair buns Wonyoung has ever seen. Be it because of how beautiful the girl looked with it, or just how perfect the bun looked. The girl's face was so small, her mesmerising brown eyes were shining, they were bright and happy, Wonyoung could see it. "It's been months! It is so lovely seeing you again."

 

"YUJIN!" Wonyoung was surprised that she knew the name of the oddly familiar girl. Best friend? Lover? She felt like she knew Yujin so much but she couldn't figure out what she knew about her. She stood up from her bed and ran towards Yujin, giving her a warm embrace to make her feel welcomed. "Oh, I've been longing for you! It has been so long since the last gathering."

 

"Young ladies, lunch is ready. The gentlemen are waiting for you two." The maid knocked on the door and left immediately after announcing what she was told to.

 

"The gentlemen?" Yujin turned to Wonyoung.

 

"Yeah, that's probably my older brother and his companions, also our fathers."

 

"Alright," Yujin held her hand out, offering it to Wonyoung. "Shall we?"

 

"Lead the way, please, Mister." The two found themselves playing around as a completely 'normal' heteroual couple on their way to the diner.

 

The two sat down together while across them were Wonyoung's brother and his friends. Her older brother's companions were obviously looking at Yujin with interest and it annoyed her. It annoyed her so much. She decided to hold Yujin's hand under the table so she could ignore the annoying men. At the two ends of the long table sat their fathers.

 

"It is spiffing sitting right here, isn't it?" Yujin nudged the younger, showing her cheeky smile.

 

"It is a chair just like any other, Yujin." Wonyoung rolled her eyes after seeing the girl's cheeky grin.

 

"Well, you might be right. This chair looks and feels just like any other chair in here, but sitting with you feels splendid! And any fellow who happens to sit beside you is lucky."

 

"Stop flattering me, Yujin. Just eat your food." Wonyoung rolled her eyes and chuckled before lightly pushing the young girl.

 

"Young lady, you must try this drink. It's the best drink our family has ever made." Yujin's father interrupted their conversation and offered Wonyoung a glass of their special wine, fermented grape juice, which Yujin absolutely dislikes.

 

"Oh, this is ghastly! I do not like it!" Wonyoung exclaimed while the unpleasant flavor ran down . Yujin was laughing beside her, completely amused by the fact that Wonyoung did not even try to sound respectful, knowing how much respect she has for older people.

 

"Say it with respect, daughter! We do not want the old chap right here to be disappointed, do we?" Wonyoung's father jokes, teasing a friend, which is Yujin's father in this case.

 

"Oi, old man, I am not as old as you! And don't worry about it, young lass. You are just like your best friend." The man laughed before taking a sip of his wine. "Maybe these aren't for young lassies like you two."

 

"Why don't you go up to your room, Wonyoung? Bring Yujin with you while the older people talk over here. You two can rest before the young lads come over in a few minutes. Freshen up, young ladies."

 

"Alright, father."

 

Wonyoung grabbed Yujin's soft and warm hands, running off to her room. As soon as they entered, Yujin dragged Wonyoung in front of her vanity table. Wonyoung sat down while Yujin stared at her reflection on the mirror.

 

Wonyoung turned around and stared at Yujin with the most loving eyes and the said girl stared back with the same emotion reflecting from her eyes while Wonyoung stared at them deeply, searching for the most beautiful soul inside them.

 

"I truly adore you, darling." Yujin softly whispered, tucking strands of hair behind Wonyoung's ear. She rested her hand behind the girl's head, right below her ear, while leaning in for a peck. "I love you so much." Their lips touched, leaving Wonyoung wondering how that contact brought butterflies in her stomach, giving her a tingly feeling.

 

"I love you too." Wonyoung softly replied after their lips parted. Yujin was holding Wonyoung's face so close, examining the younger's beauty. 

 

Well, not until the doors slammed open. Her father was there, walking while his eyes were fixated on a newspaper.

 

"OH FIDDLESTICKS! My comb fell." Wonyoung immediately grabbed her comb and threw it on the floor, putting up an act so her father would not suspect anything. Well, she hopes so.

 

"Language, young lady!" Her father raised his sight towards the two girls. "You fix yourselves. The other guests are coming in a few hours. Make sure you look pretty and presentable to the young men who'll be coming."

 

The two girls went down after a few hours, all prim and proper. All the young men admired them, their eyes twinkling when they stared at the young ladies. Little did these men know, little did they know.

 

The large gathering continued, their fathers forcing them to entertain the young men around. With a heavy heart, the two stopped ignoring every boy that tried to talk to them.

 

After almost three hours, Wonyoung's father let the two rest.

 

"What do you think they are talking about downstairs that we have to go back up here?" Wonyoung peeked over her door while Yujin was behind her, struggling to remove her corset.

 

Wonyoung saw her maid go up to her father and Yujin's father with a pile of envelopes. "She still looks evil to me no matter how she dresses." She thought to herself.

 

"I am completely unaware. But at least we can remove our corsets and breathe, right?"

 

"Right." Wonyoung shut the door close and turned to Yujin to help her with the corset. Right after Yujin's was removed, she helped Wonyoung remove hers.

 

The two ran towards the bed, both letting out a sigh after feeling the comfort the bed gave.

 

"Have you received any of the letters I've been mailing? I haven't got any response from you." Yujin mumbled while staring at the ceiling, her arm behind Wonyoung's neck, Wonyoung using it as a pillow while she was caressing the younger's sharp, beautiful shoulder blades.

 

"Letters? I haven't got any mail from you for the past months!"

 

"Oh, is that so? Maybe there was a problem in the mail depot."

 

"Are these the letters you two are looking for?" Wonyoung's father barged into her room, making the two girls sit up abruptly. He was holding a few envelopes. Yujin could recognise every single one of them. Yes, those were the letters she mailed to Wonyoung. And Wonyoung knew those were the papers her maid handed her father. 

 

"That ish woman." Wonyoung mumbled, remembering how evil her maid was. She knew those letters her father was holding are the ones her majd handed him. "FATHER!" She called, desperate that nothing worse will happen.

 

"How dare you address me as your father still?! You are such a disgrace in this family!"

 

"No, father, I can explain–"

 

"There is nothing more to explain, Wonyoung. And you, Yujin! You need to go home. Your father is waiting. And do not expect that I will still let you step a foot in this household again." He walked out after throwing the pile of papers on the floor, leaving the two alone.

 

Wonyoung broke down. All the feelings she didn't want to feel came rushing into her and it was overwhelming. She didn't know what to feel exactly. She's just… imagining how her life would be without her lover. And it pained her so much. She couldn't speak up, words were choking her. She felt… miserable.

 

"Wonyoung," Yujin broke the painful silence. Wonyoung doesn't know if she'd be thankful that Yujin broke the silence, or sad because Yujin will talk about letting her go. "I truly love you. But we can't do this anymore, do we?" Silence embraced the atmosphere once again. It feels heavy and Wonyoung hated it. "I need to go now." Yujin said and it was the saddest tone Wonyoung ever heard. It sounded like the earth fell onto Yujin's shoulders and that she was tired carrying it. And now, she's giving up.

 

Looking at the girl, her beautiful bun is now messy, the shining brown eyes are now brimmed with tears, her face now swelling because of how much she has cried. But one thing came into Wonyoung's mind seeing the face of her lover. Beautiful.

 

"Yujin," Wonyoung called softly. "I-I deeply apologise. I d-didn't mean to hurt you. Especially this way. W-we were just having fun earlier a-and this happened. I a-am so sorry, please don't lea–" 

 

"It's alright, darling. But I need to go. Please take care. Goodnight, Wonyoung." Yujin said with tears racing down her cheeks, feeling like a big thorn is stabbing through her heart while she was walking away. And she knew that Wonyoung feels the same.

 

"Yujin please let us find our way back to each other again. Please come back to me. Let me read all your love letters again, make me feel loved. Let me be in love with you. Because I am ready to fall over and over again while reading every Salut d'Amour you give."

 

"WONYOUNG!"

 

"OH FIDDLESTICKS! WHAT ON EARTH JUST HAPPENED TO ME?" 

 

"Baby, why are you talking like an old man now? You're running late for school. Go prepare, alright? I gotta go, I love you."

 

"I love you too, mom."

 

 

"Yujin… where can I see you again?"

 

 

 

 

"Class, meet your new classmate. Please introduce yourself."

 

"Ahn Yujin, 19."

 

"Go sit beside…" The teacher scanned the room, "Kim Chaewon. Chaewon, please raise your hand."

 

"Alright, thank you miss."

 

 

 

 

"Hold up. Sit beside Jang Wonyoung instead."

 

 

 

"Jang… Wonyoung?" Yujun stared at the floor, thinking where she heard that oddly familiar name.

 

"Yes. Miss Jang, please raise your hand." Hearing her name, Wonyoung raised her hand. She found herself staring deeply into Yujin's eyes, exploring into them. 

 

"Yujin." Wonyoung silently mumbled. "It's her."

 

Yujin walked towards Wonyoung with a small smile. Wonyoung smiled back, "Yujin… right?"

 

"Yes. Hello, Wonyoung." Yujin grinned, her mesmerising brown eyes disappearing.

 

"I found you."

 

"Excuse me?"

 

"I-I said, sit down. The class will start now."

 

 

 

"I know we're gonna meet again, my darling." Yujin whispered.