Final

Chaewon's habbit

Chaewon entered their usual hangout place a.k.a the IZ cafe. When she arrived her friends Yujin, Wonyoung, Minju, Eunbi and Chaeyeon were already there talking about everything. She saw a familiar face. A face she avoids like a plague. It’s the first time she saw this face appear in their meetups since then. Chaewon was about to turn back and leave but she saw that Yujin noticed her.Yujin noticed Chaewon’s presence and she also noticed the familiar change of Chaewon. Yujin quickly, slowly hit Wonyoung's hand who was next to her ,signalling Wonyoung to look too. Wonyoung saw Chaewon and mentally facepalmed herself. When Wonyoung turned at Chaewon, others on the table also looked at Chaewon's direction.

 

Chaewon slowly approached the table and sat on the empty chair next to Eunbi.

"Why are you all looking at me like you have never seen me?". Chaewon has cut her hair and dyed her hair to brown. This means only one thing, that she has broken up with her partner. Again. Yes again. This has become a habit. At first none of the girls noticed it but when something happens more than two or three times ,you are bound to notice a pattern.

 

Not to mention the girls barely know who Chaewon dates since then . Even though Chaewon never mentions her partners, it's not like the girls didn't know. They would see Chaewon with her partner of the time at the campus grounds when she is not with them. It was that Chaewon never officially introduced the two parties. For Chaewon they were flings which carried no meaning at all.

 

When they don't see her with her partner after a while seeing her with someone, Cheawon starts to appear with a shorter hair and a new color. Not to mention this new hair color has been a shade of brown. Even though they have noticed her habit or her post breakup ritual according to Yujin, no one confronted her about it. It has always been like that for almost two years now, since then.

 

Just like every other time this happens, the girls ignored it and continued sharing stories about their daily life like always. Chaewon was munching her sandwich slowly while listening to her friends. She didn't forget to crack a joke here and there too. She did ignore the elder in front of her. When Chaewon's turn came to share about her life , she first took a small sip from her coffee . The girls were slowly eating their own dishes but also waiting eagerly for Chaewon to talk.

 

"I broke up with him", Chaeown said nonchalantly. She said it way too calmly, that the girls couldn't believe she is someone going through a breakup. Chaewon who kept her hand on the table suddenly felt warmth engulfing her hand instead of the cool breeze of air. Still as warm as they used to be. Chaewon thought. Chaewon knew whose hands caused this sudden warmth. It was Yena's. Yena slowly rubbed her thumb against Chaewon's hands. Chaewon gave a look at Yena. How dare you touch me like that. She quickly shook Yena’s hand away. Things started to get cold from there.

 

Yujin broke the silence first. "It's okay Unnie. He doesn't deserve you. He is a jerk anyways".Chaewon mentally laughed at what Yujin said. She admired the younger's loyalty. Yujin doesn't even know the guy and for her to say these words, Chaewon thought."And you can find someone better definitely soo ". When she heard the words "someone better ", she raised her head and looked at the elder in front of her. Yeah someone better. Chaewon thought. Eunbi noticed this and she looked at Chaewon with a worried expression. But Chaewon didn't see this. She was busy looking at the elder infront of her.

 

"You don't even know him Yujin", Chaewon chuckled, fixating her gaze at Yujin. "To be honest he was not bad. A pretty decent one but yeah, when you are not meant to be, you can't be together. Even though they are your perfect other half", Chaewon said without thinking much. She slowly looked at the elder infront of her secretly. Yena saw Chaewon's gaze at her. She quickly avoided it. Everyone in the table felt the cold air around them.

 

Chaewon met Yena when she accompanied Wonyoung on her dates with Yujin. Sometimes Yena will also tag along with Yujin. They clicked so fast that Yujin will tease Yena about how Yena found a new best friend. It was not just teasing , a joke that has some truth to it.

 

With time they realised how similar they are in thoughts. They despised the idea of marriage and don't believe they can live with the same person for their lifetime. They just want to fall in love for once and break up after some time to focus on their own dreams. They saw falling in love as an experience rather than something to deal with emotions. When Yena reveals her thoughts, Chaewon almost choked on her favourite mint choco milkshake.

"Unnie same", Chaewon said.

They both looked at each other at that moment. As much as cliche as it sounds , they felt a spark for the first time.

 

After that day both had so many thoughts running over their heads. After gathering up her courage , Yena asked to meet her at Chaewon's neighbourhood park.

 

When the younger arrived, as always they both sat on the swings and started to talk about their day .

"Chaewonnie", Yena looked at Chaewon.

"Yes, unnie", Chaewon said with a raised eyebrow.

"So I have been thinking", Chaewon knew Yena was struggling to say whatever she wanted to say. She went from her swing to Yena's swing and crouched down. She held Yena's hands and said , "Unnie yes, let's do it".

 

Yena looked at Chaewon in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean yes , for what you want ask"

"But you don't know what it is"

"Maybe I do"

"How"

"That's not needed, anyways yes. It's better it's you than anyone else"

 

The truth is One day Chaewon was at Yena's place and she saw one of Yena's drafts on the table. She didn't get to see much because she felt it overstepped boundaries.

 

Even our ending is already written

I want to risk it all for you

Would you want to be mine?

An year is all I ask from you

 

They promised to be together for a year and break up. Even though much didn't change after becoming official, they definitely felt a new rush of feelings and emotions they both were new to. Yena felt her life became brighter. Chaewon felt that she found a new meaning in life. For a duo who doesn't believe in love, all of those emotions baffled them.

 

They realized and wondered how our emotions and perspectives are subjected to change with first hand experience. They both had the best year of their life. Both were madly in love that they both forgot about their plan to break up or they thought so.

 

The day for their anniversary slowly approached. Yena had her own plans for the day. Chaewon had her own plans. There was no doubt that they both wanted each other.

 

When Yena asked Chaewon to meet at the swings Yena asked out Chaewon, Chaewon thought,perfect for my plan.

 

Chaewon wore the couple hoodie she has with Yena. When she arrived at the park, the first thing she noticed was how Yena was wearing her couple hoodie. They never made plans for that, something just happened. Which made Chaewon think how they are meant to be.

 

She quickly stole a kiss from Yena's lips once she arrived, to which Yena replied passionately but also didn't stop until Chaewon struggled herself to get away. Even though Chaewon was not vocal, she felt a difference. Little did she know that Yena was battling with her own tears.

 

They both settled and reminisced about the day a year ago. After sometime, both at once said

"Chaewonnie let's breakup"

"Unnie let's stay together forever"

It took some time for Chaewon to register what Yena said. Yena lost her battle against her tears and they started to come down like the rain.

 

"I am sorry Chaewon-ah. I can't. I am really sorry"

Chaewon didn't say anything. She was sad and fuming with anger that she couldn't speak a word.

 

"Why?", Chaewon asked in the most calming way possible.

 

"What do you mean? It was our plan right?"

 

Chaewon became even more angry.

 

"Are you serious now? You are telling me you are doing this because of what we planned? Just shut up", Chaewon lost it and started to scream.

 

"Chaewon calm down. Please I am sorry that I can't return your feelings"

 

"Just tell me the real reason for god sake"

 

Yena has never seen the younger like this that it scared her.

 

"Just tell me why? Tell me what I did wrong? What's wrong with me ? Did you find someone else? Did you get bored with me?" , Chaewon said out loud all the possible reasons running through her mind. "Are you telling me it's really because we planned to break up after a year? So those dreams we built together, you said forever many times. Did they mean nothing to you?"

 

"Why are you getting angry with me? It's not my fault you took them seriously. It's your fault. We had a plan and you knew our ending . Now why are you like this? I gave everything I could to you, I loved you . I really did but this needs to stop here."

 

Chaewon felt like her world was breaking apart. She couldn't believe how cold hearted Yena was . She sensed that Yena slowly approaching her. She looked directly at Yena and Chaewon pleaded, "For one last time tell me the reason. I will pretend I didn't hear any of the ridiculous things you said just now.What is it Unnie?Let's try to fix it. Please tell me".

 

Yena got angry.

"You want to know the real reason. We had a plan and we need to work according to that. One way or another we are gonna breakup. So it's better to end now , before we get in too deep with this."

 

"How do you know we will definitely break up? We didn't even think we could fall in love. But here we are. And how can you say before we get into deep , when we are already in this deep."

 

"Enough Chaewon. It's over. We are over.Get yourself together",Yena screamed while shaking the Younger.

"Get it into your head." Yena turned to leave.

"Unnie please let's try. We can do this", Chaewon said in her softest voice. Tears started to run down rapidly in Yena's face.

She didn't look at Chaewon, and slowly walked towards her car. She can hear the younger calling her but she didn't spare a glance at the younger. Got into her car and looked at Chaewon from the far , chanting I am sorry Chaewon-ah. She waited till she saw Chaewon get home.

"Anyways enough of me. What about you Yena Unnie?How are you and your girlfriend doing?Oh wait I forgot, you don't believe in love or did you find someone new to you with and leave", Chaewon asked in a hard to decipher tone. It had a mix of mock and seriousness both. Everyone in the table looked at Chaewon.It’s the first time Chaewon spoke to Yena after their breakup. It was clear to everyone how hard it’s been for Chaewon.

 

Yena felt like she wanted to get swallowed by the ground.

 

No one said anything. Yujin felt really bad. She was the one who invited Yena to come and meet. She didn’t expect things to turn this way.


 

"Excuse me I need to use the washroom", Chaewon excused herself . She felt tears rushing down her cheeks, on her way to the washroom. She quickly went inside and closed the door behind her. She sighed loudly while washing her face. She looked at herself through the mirror and slapped her right cheek. It was loud enough for Yena to hear ,who was on the other side of the door.

 

Chaewon stared at herself and blamed herself. Kim Chaewon comes to your senses. Why are you being a slave of your feelings all of a sudden? Why are you making things hard for everyone? It's almost 2 years now . Move one please and stop being a jerk. She is happy. Isn't it what you want ? For the person you love to be happy. Get a grip of yourself and don't make things hard for everyone you idiot.

 

She finally stopped crying and washed her face. She can see how red her eyes are from her reflection. She took her phone out to text Minju to say that she will take her leave but she stopped midway. She felt that it's only right for her to apologise for her behaviour today for everyone. After calming herself down, she came back to her seat.

 

Everyone continued their own talks after acknowledging Chaewon's presence, including Yena. Chaewon slowly gathered her courage . She made a noise as if we did before giving a speech. "I got to go now. I am sorry for my behaviour today. And I am sorry for making things awkward. Sorry that you all had to deal with that side of mine", Chaewon said in one breath. Then she turned towards Yena, " and yena Unnie, I am sorry for my behaviour earlier. I want you to be happy and I know you are happy now. I am really sorry for what I did earlier". Yena didn't expect that. Not just Yena, none of the girls expect an apology. Especially in front of anyone. After processing what happened, Yujin got up and hugged the elder.

"Unnie, I am proud of you"

"Why"

"I don't know".

"Anyways, maybe it's time you truly pick yourself up. It hurts me to see you like this."Yujin whispered to Chaewon.

What Yujin said hit hard for Chaewon. She didn't say anything, after Yujin released Chaewon from the hug, she slowly nodded and smiled.

"Okay I need to go now. You all enjoy" ,Chaewon said with a bittersweet smile.

 

After Chaewon left ,Yena excused herself and ran after Chaewon. She saw that Chaewon is about to cross the road. She shouted the younger's name to catch her attention. Chaewon saw the elder who was running towards her . After Yena knew she got the younger's attention ,she slowed down.

 

"I am Chaewon. I am really sorry. I know even if I say sorry a thousand times it's not enough. But please stop doing this to yourself. I know you are doing this to yourself so that it will help you to move on. It's almost two years now. Please stop doing this to yourself. We didn't part in the best way. Unnie is in fault for that ,so please don't do this to yourself anymore. I regret it everyday honestly. It really hurts me to see you like this. I don’t ask you to forgive me. Just stop hurting yourself like this."

 

Chaewon looked at Yena directly into her eyes and smiled. "Don't worry Unnie. Everything will be okay. Please be happy Unnie. That's the only thing I want from you."

After saying that Chaewon turned to the other side and left. Her eyes are filled with tears again but this time not out of anger or because she is full of emotions. Those tears marked her freedom.

 

After that day Chaewon didn’t see Yena again . She wanted a restart and transferred to a US university. There she met the person she will spend the rest of her life.





 

After 5 years of leaving South Korea she was back. Yujin asked for a meetup with everyone since Chaewon was back. Chaewon entered the IZ cafe but not alone this time, everyone noticed that someone was behind her. Chaewon and her girlfriend came and took their seats. Just like old days they shared about their lives, but this time they have a new person to hear stories from too. Everyone embraced Hyewon warmly and quickly. Chaewon was nervous at first but she was happy to see how welcomed Hyewon was. Sometimes she noticed how her friends would give approving nods.

 

Yujin and Wonyoung shared that they both are planning to complete their studies abroad and will leave soon. Eunbi and Chaeyeon have started a dance academy which is getting lot of attention. They even perform at award shows .MInju and her girlfriend Yuri is already engaged and planning to get married in the fall. Chaewon also introduced her new friends she met in America. They were Sakura. Nako and Hitomi. They all have transferred from Japan. Chaewon also talked about how they helped her settle in America.

 

After a while Yujin got a video call . And it was from Yena. When Yujin said that name, Hyewon quickly grabbed Chaewon’s hand and held it as a sign to say , it’s okay. It was the first time she got to know anything about Yena after 5 years. Chaewon learned that Yena has become a full time blogger . She blogs about different countries and hotels she visits. Her blog has so many viewers that Yena gets sponsored for most of her trips. Everyone waved goodbye to Yena and themselves.

 

Chaewon and Hyewon came to the beach after .

“Are you okay Chaewon-ah?”

“Yes, you don’t need to worry. You are the only one for me. Thank you for being so understanding. I love you”. She placed a kiss on Hyewon’s forehead and grabbed her for a hug.

 

Sometimes we think we meet the perfect person in our life, make plans, clung into the word forever but it can all change . Nothing is forever. But it’s up to us to give our best to make things work. With you I am giving my best and I know you are doing that too.

Chaewon thought while looking at Hyewon who was beside her.

 

“Why are you staring like that?”

 

“Nothing” and Chaewon pulled Hyewon for a passionate kiss.


 

 


 



 

Thank you for reading everyone. Actually I got this idea after seeing a tweet of oomf that goes along the line that Chaewon is the type to cut her hair and dye it after a breakup referring to how she cut her hair recently. This actually for a certain catto and sm who loves angst. Comments are much appreciated. Thank you again.