The fall

The stars among us

He was an unnamed star, aimlessly circling the night sky. He wasn't the brightest star, not even a big one, and he was far away. That's why he had no name.

During the Rest, when the stars rested from endless shining, he aimlessly wandered the halls of the Skies. Jealous of those bright big stars, with cool names.

"Vega, how was it? Did you see something interesting?" Regulus asked his friend Vega while passing through the halls of the Skies. Those two were shining so brightly that the unnamed star had to cover his own eyes when they were passing by.

"Nothing unusual, the same thing over and over again," Vega said as they passed him. They didn't even notice him, because he wasn't important. But he still bowed to them, to show his respect.

His heart hurt when they ignored him and didn't even nod their head. He wasn't loved and the star that was in his heart was slowly dying because of that.

The unnamed star walked into the enormous meeting hall after he drank some ambrosia to get better again and gain energy. Nobody spoke to him, nobody even came closer to him. Except for one star.

Sterope, one of the Seven Sisters, the Pleiades. She waved to greet him. He waved back and smiled faintly at her. His inner star got filled with warmth and he felt slightly better than before.

But her sisters saw it, and her fiancée saw it too. Arcturus, the third brightest star in the night sky was promised to marry Sterope and when he saw her, waving to another star of the male gender, he grimaced.

"Soon, we will go and shine brightly to the life on the planet as we always do. I want to warn you. Strange things were happening lately," Canopus, the old man said, and stood up from his seat by the big window. He looked into the vast darkness full of shells for their stars when they will reside once again.

"Stars started disappearing from their shells. They are falling from the Skies. So please be careful. When you are too long away from your protective shell, the star inside you would die. And your soul together with it..." he continued with hidden worry in his voice.

The unnamed start knew about it. He overheard the Oldstars talking about it because his ears were really sensitive. That's why he heard the worry in Canopus' speech.

"Don't worry, nothing will happen," Vega chuckled, full of himself as always. But others were worried, they were too used to immortality. Dying wasn't something pleasant to hear.

And if they die, their protective shell would explode. When the last star shell exploded, it made a black hole, slowly them in. The ancient times were very dangerous. And nobody wanted to go back to those times.

"Then it's time," said Atlas, the father of Pleiades, and everyone started jumping from the observing balcony. Sterope did not join them. She waited for him on the side. When he finally came to her, she smiled at him.

"Hello, how are you? You look a bit tired... Are you sure you had a good rest?" she asked him, her voice concerned. But Unnamed was careful with her. He smiled at her and nodded.

As clumsy as he was, his feet slipped while he was coming down the stairs to the balcony and he slid down the stairs with thumping sounds, gaining everyone's attention.

He heard Sterope's laugh, which sounded like bells, beautiful and resonating the Skies. He got up without a word, his face straight. Falsely calm, he dusted the stardust off and walked down again. But his ears were redder than The Red Giant.

"Come to me, we will fly together," Arcturus came to Sterope and took her hand. He glared at Unnamed over his shoulder and jumped off the edge, flying to their shells. Unnamed did the same.

Soon he landed safely and sat in the chair he had there. He wasn't shining as brightly as before. He ped his shirt, to reveal light coming off the middle of his chest, where his heart was.

He sure was a bit tired, so he closed his eyes and relaxed, gathering some strength. When he heard a faint noise, that was getting closer. Unnamed opened his eyes and gawked at what he saw.

Arcturus was there, in his shells, coming towards him. Unnamed courteously bowed when he was close enough. He wanted to ask Arcturus what he was doing here, but he had no chance to.

Arcturus pressed his hand on Unnamed's chest and dug his fingers into his flesh. He grabbed the star that resided in Unnamed and forcefully tore it away.

Unnamed was in such pain, his eyes welled with tears. He felt so much pain and emptiness in his chest. He couldn't breathe. He fell down on his knees, holding his chest, trying to take at least one breath.

"You should have kept your distance. She wasn't meant to be yours. You are not worth her feelings!" Arcturus shouted and grabbed the crawling star by his neck and raised him up.

Unnamed couldn't even lift his hands to defend himself. His breath was stuck in and his head was spinning, while Arcturus carried him to the edge of his own shell.

"Well, now you won't be a problem," Arcturus grinned wickedly and threw him over the edge into the vast darkness.

The unnamed star was thrown over the edge of his own shell, falling down into nothingness as he slowly lost consciousness, betrayed by his kind.