I Will Be With You Until The End

I Will Be With You Until The End

“I ate well!” Jihyo puts down her chopsticks and grabs a napkin to wipe after she finishes her delicious ramen lunch with Jaesuk, Somin, and Sechan. Because of the post-lunch effects, Jihyo is feeling a little drowsy and is craving a nap. Jihyo takes out her phone from her blue cross bag and texts her boyfriend, Jong Kook. 

 

Jihyo: Oppa, have you finished your lunch yet?

 

Jong Kook: Eo, wae? 

 

Jihyo: Just a little tired. I want to take a nap.

 

Jong Kook: Aigooo, our sleeping princess. Want to come over? The other three just finished their lunch and went out for a walk, no one is here right now.

 

Jihyo: Oh really, I will come over then. Give me a minute or so. 

 

Jihyo puts her phone back into her bag and turns to the other three, “I guess I ate too much and I am a bit full right now.” She hugs her stomach. “I will go out for a walk and get some fresh air, enjoy your meals.” She stands up and leaves Jaesuk’s house. 

 

Jihyo walks out the door and jogs to the house that’s just ten meters away from Jaesuk’s house. She opens the door and sees a muscular man sitting lazily on the couch, checking his phone. 

 

“Jong Kook oppa~” Jihyo announces her arrival.

 

Hearing the familiar voice, Jong Kook lifts up his head. A smile forms on his face when he sees the figure standing at the door. “You came?”

 

“Eo.” Jihyo removes her shoes and heads to the couch. Although the couch is extremely wide, Jihyo chooses to squeeze herself beside Jong Kook, leaving no space between them. She then places her head on his shoulder and closes her eyes, ready to take a nap. 

 

“Are we not even going to chat a while before you drift off into your dreamland Jihyo yah? You are just here to sleep?” Jong Kook questions, feeling disappointed. 

 

“Oppa, I am really tired, we will talk after, okay?” She mumbles, trying to comfort the upset Jong Kook. Sleep is her first priority now.

 

“Araseo. Sleep well then, our sleeping beauty.” He says and presses a soft peck on her cheek. 

 

Ten minutes pass and Jong Kook’s shoulder starts to hurt, he also realizes it is not good for Jihyo’s neck when she is sleeping in this position. Therefore, Jong Kook slowly detaches her head from his shoulder and places it on his lap instead. He then gently extends her legs so that she would feel more comfortable. Jihyo groans from the sudden change of position, but soon go back to sleep again.

 

Jong Kook brushes her soft hair with his fingers, without him even knowing, his lips curl up when he sees the peaceful sleeping face of hers. Her face is an artwork, she’s gorgeous, he thought. 

 


 

“Unnie, please wake up!” A female staff calls at the door. 

 

Jong Kook hears it and quickly shakes her body, “Jihyo yah, filming is about to start, wake up.” 

 

“Arghhhhhh…” Jihyo groans and moans. Wait, filming? She immediately gets up and straightens her sweatshirts and pants to make herself look presentable and rushes out the door. 

 

“Ya Song Jihyo, remember to choose me in the next mission!” Jong Kook shouts, make sure she can hear it before she vanishes from his sight.    

 

“You fell asleep?”

 

“What’s happening?”

 

“Why did you fall asleep?”

 

“What’s wrong with you?”

 

“Why did you come out of that room?” 

 

She is greeted by a bunch of questions when the members see her come out of Jong Kook’s house. The moment she is about to explain herself, Kwang Soo cracks a joke and saves her from the awkwardness, luckily.

 

Soon, Bo Pil announces this is the final mission and reminds them to carefully choose their team.

 

Unlike others who are still struggling to make the decision, Jihyo confidently volunteers to set off first. No surprise, she chooses Jong Kook as she heard his words when she left the room a while ago. 

 

When she opens the door, she accidentally trips and falls, and ends up hurting her foot. 

 

“Hey, are you okay?” Jong Kook asks, immediately gets up from the couch and heads to her with quick footsteps. He bends down to help her massage her foot and teases her, “Why would you greet me with your foot Jihyo yah?” “Anyway, you make the right choice, good job.” He praises her and pulls her up from the floor and they walk to the couch hand in hand.

 

When everyone finishes choosing their teams, it turns out that only Jihyo picks Jong Kook. A sarcastic laugh comes out from them after knowing the fact. 

 

“No worries Jihyo ya, well done, thank you for choosing me.” He pats her back as an encouragement. 

 

Maybe only having Jihyo as his teammate isn’t a bad thing after all. Although they have only stayed in the room for roughly five minutes, they have already been teased by the other members a couple of times. It’s really been a while since they can openly act like a real couple, the last time was back in the 2019 couple race.  

 

In fact, they are more than enjoyed being teased like this. When Jaesuk asks them, “Are you guys wearing matching shirts?” The usual Jong Kook would’ve been annoyed already, instead, he proudly says, “of course we should.”

 

Soon, Jaesuk again questions Jong Kook, “I’m sorry, but are you his girlfriend?” Unlike the numerous times in the past where he would just deny it, he answers, “we’ve been dating for a long time, don’t we look like a family?” He tells the truth. 

 

Another privilege is that they can simply ignore the existence of the cameras and have all kinds of skinships without worrying about being scolded by the PD and editing team for being too intimate. Jong Kook can just put his arm around her shoulder and her to the couch because he feels like it; Jihyo can hit his body with her hands when she bursts out laughing because of the verbal mistake Bo Pil made; Jong Kook can wrap a jacket around her body playfully to make others laugh; Jihyo can also hold his arm and put her head on his shoulder when she feels hopeless after knowing what’s the final mission. 

 

Everything might seem unusually sweet in an outsider’s eyes. Yet, they are actually just being the offscreen version of themselves. 

 

The final mission goes smoothly, and it turns out that the members are nowhere near a pabo, they solve the uncanny questions at a lightning speed. The final result is three to two, Jaesuk’s team wins while Jong Kook’s team loses. Two points are taken off from both Jong Kook and Jihyo, causing them to rank last. Their penalty is to collect the flags placed in the mudflat, and they pick Somin to join them. 

 


 

Outdoors

 

Just when they thought they could enter the mudflat in their rubber boots, Bo Pil tells them that one of them has to take off their boots and go into the mudflat barefooted. 

 

Jihyo suggests using rock paper scissors to decide. Somin wins the first round, and she jumps around to celebrate. But being a caring man he is, Jong Kook coolly turns to Jihyo and says, “I will take it off.” 

 

Jihyo immediately links her arm with Jong Kook’s and asks worriedly, “Oppa, are you sure? I can do it actually.” 

 

“It’s okay, I will do it.” He replies and takes off his boots. 

 

While Jihyo is still staggering, Somin retrieves her flag already as she chose to go for the easiest one. Jong Kook and Jihyo soon collect their flags as well, with Jihyo ends up giving up her rubber boots. 

 

When he is heading back, he sees a familiar figure struggling in the mud from afar. He stands at his spot and watches her clumsy moves, a spoiled smile forms on his face. But wait, where’s her cameraman? He thought.

 

“Jihyo ya!” He shouts. 

 

Jihyo lifts up her head once she hears his voice. “Oh, hello oppa! What perfect timing, my feet are stuck in the mud, come and help me please!” She yells back. 

 

“Where’s your cameraman?” 

 

“He said he has a family gathering tonight so I asked him to go first after he finished filming my penalty.” She responds, trying to speak as loud as she can. “Ppalli come, I can’t get my feet out of the mud.” She starts to get impatient. 

 

Jong Kook chuckles seeing the grumpy Jihyo. He signals his cameraman to leave first then walks to her carefully.

 

When he reaches her, he orders, “Use my shoulder as support. When I count to three, pull your left foot out of the mud, okay?” 

 

“Okay.”

 

“One, two, three!” Jihyo pulls her foot out of the mud with all her strength. But it seems like she loses her balance and...

 

“OUCH!” Jong Kook screams.

 

She falls forward and crashes into him. 

 

They are now in a very awkward position, with her lying on top of him. 

 

“Arghhhh, just what...never mind, are you hurt?” He checks on her, making sure she’s alright. 

 

“No oppa, I am all good. You don't know how to be mad at me, right?” Jihyo giggles.

 

“Just look at what you did Jihyo ssi, we are in an absolute mess right now.” He frowns and pretends to be angry.

 

“Mianhae oppa, I didn’t do it on purpose. Here.” She presses a quick kiss on his cheek. “My apologies.” And she gives him a hug.

 

He returns it and hugs her even tighter. “Gwenchana.” He smiles. “Did you have fun in today’s filming?” He decides they will just stay in this position for a little longer and chat. 

 

“Eo, I had so much fun, because I get to be in the same team with oppa in all three missions. It’s really been a while, isn’t it?”

 

“Yeah, it is. Don't you regret choosing me though? You receive the penalty because you choose to stay loyal until the end.”

 

“Ani, not at all. I meant it when I said, ‘I should be with you until the end’ in the room. Also, we wouldn't be here hanging out in the mud if I didn’t get the penalty, right?” She jokes.

 

“Thanks for choosing me Jihyo yah, as your teammates, and your boyfriend. Saranghae.” His eyes are fixed on hers when he’s expressing himself. He means it, wholeheartedly. 

 

“Nado saranghae, Jong Kook oppa.” 

 

Slightly and slowly, she leans in, and their lips finally touch. The sunset blossoms upon the horizon, their hearts scream love. Nothing special, nothing fancy. Just a couple who is madly in love with each other kissing passionately in a mudflat, creating another beautiful memory that will last forever in their hearts. 

 


 

Hope you enjoyed this short one shot. Comments and feedbacks are appreciated, thank you for reading if you've made it to the end!