Ⅱ: Da Capo

Nothing Like Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Legend ➨ [ Italics used in dialogues = characters are speaking in English ]
➨ [ Italics used in narration = character's thoughts ]

Glossary:

Da capo - re-start the piece from the beginning and go back to the top.

Cadenza - moment in a musical piece where an instrumentalist or singer is given the opportunity to play a solo freely without following a rigid tempo or rhythm.

× ♢ · ♦ · ♢ ×

After about 15 hours spent above the clouds, the plane finally landed.

Despite the clogged ears bothering her一an unpleasant side effect got ridden with a yawn一Roseanne is happy to be able to get up from the uncomfortable seat to stretch her legs. She wanted to get out of this closed place, but she contains her impatience not to squeeze herself in the stream of passengers who are also avid for putting their feet on the ground.

After less than ten minutes, the economy class is almost empty, so the brunette gets off the aircraft. As soon as she is at the exit, the early-sunless-morning wind suddenly greets her, caressing her face and ruffling her dark hair. Instinctively, she wraps her arms around herself to protect her already kept-warm body from the cold of March and deeply inhales the apparently foreign yet familiar air.

She thanks her mother internally for forcing her to wear a heavy jacket. Now, she doesn't care if she struggles to move or if she looks like a sack of overflowing potatoes with it. Thinking about her mom, she remembers to text her parents to announce her arrival, but decides to do it later when she notices that she has been blocking the passage for a while. However, the stewardess next to her smiles politely at her, and she reciprocates apologetically.

The brunette gets on the bus that takes her to the arrivals gates for passport control. All while clutching the hand-luggage violin case to her chest. It's ironic how she couldn't wait to get out of the plane before, but is now sweating cold.

'김해국제공항 (Gimhae International Airport)'

With her baggage retrieved and heart pounding, she now stands in the arrivals hall. She feels small surrounded by unknown adult people. There are all uniforms all over the lounge一flight attendants, pilots, few policemen and customs officials. If before the anxious feeling was subtle, now the fact of being alone in a foreign country and not knowing practically anyone has struck her like a truck.

She suddenly has the urge to throw up.

The idea of ​​getting back into that flying vehicle that she was mildly afraid of and then admitting to her father that studying in another country really was madness becomes prominent in the girl's mind. She tries to calm herself, as in a small prayer, she joins her hands by interlocking the fingers, and with closed eyes pronounces in a low voice, "Of all fair stars, Luna spielt le bel arc."

Once with a more natural breathing, she scans around the large open area to locate her greeter. Her mother has told her that her grandmother would come to fetch her, but she doesn't even know what she looks like. Therefore, the brunette makes it her mission to look for an old woman.

Indicator slots for all the airlines and signs are written in hangul and, though she is a little intimidated, she feels proud to know what is written without even reading the English translation. The years she spent texting her best friend in Korean and the books her parents made her study have fortunately paid off.

The crowd was halved, but no trace of her grandmother or so she thinks as she is still an old lady left, but is hesitant to go to her. Mistaking a stranger for someone else is already embarrassing, but approaching an elder to ask if they are her grandma is even more. Still, she was about to risk it when a man in suit and tie has spared her the embarrassment by engaging in conversation with his perhaps-mother. Roseanne is torn between relief and disappointment.

It is 3 in the morning, and she, a tired and nervous teenager, is standing in the middle of a room full of strangers in a town where she has set foot for the first time. She whisper-repeats her little prayer.

Maybe she's a little late, calm down Roseanne, she'll be here shortly... What if she forgot? What if she's still sleeping? Her mother did tell her she is sick. It shouldn't be surprising if she's indeed forgotten, she is also of a certain age... Wait how old is she again?一 her train of thoughts have vanished when her eyes meet a masculine figure in formal-wear with a sign in hands that read in English, 'Welcome Rosanna Park.'

She frowns, but she responds anyway to the man's bow-greeting.

He inspects her face, then glances down at a photo that presumably should be of her, and he looks again at the brunette, "Miss Rosanna Park from Auckland, New Zealand?"

"Y-yeah, I mean," she begins in English and when she realizes she switches to Korean, but and mind seem to be disconnected as she tries to correct him, "I... me, Roseanne Park no Rosanna."

She wants to facepalm herself so hard. The only people she has ever spoken Korean to are her family, the Jeons and mainly her best friend.

Roseanne tries to recollect her thoughts and self and speaks more calmly, "Chaeyoung will do too. And you are sir..."

"My apologies," he again bends his upper body, perfectly at 90 degrees, "I am Kang Beomseok, Mrs. Park Jia's chauffeur, personal assistant and butler. Due to the mistress' health issues, she could not come along, albeit she requested me for accompanying you to the Park residence. For that reason, I invite you, Miss Chaeyoung, to follow me."

She nods absentmindedly and whispers a 'Nice to meet you', marveling at his articulate and refined way of speaking, he did not reveal any emotions. Monotonous and automatic, almost inhuman. Yet again, the man bows. "Please, let me take care of your belongings, Miss Chaeyoung." Miss... Good heavens! This is Mr. Jang 2.0, at least the latter has a minimum of personality, this man talks like a robot, Roseanne thinks as Kang Beomseok takes her baggage and leaves her violin case as per her request.

He leads her to a sporty- and luxurious-looking car and opens a rear door for her to sit in the precious-brown leather back seats.

The vehicle drives away from the airport, and Roseanne can't help but admire the urban-coastal landscape of the second largest metropolis in South Korea. Though the still early hours of the day, the city is aglow, alive and bustling: panoramic views, swarming markets, shining towers, a variety of entertainment in the streets and the breathtaking sea-view on the horizon一she's starting to love it.

The brunette watches in fascination the performers busking in the streets and rolls down the car window to clear out the peaceful silence and make room for the chaotic music of the city that reminds her of dark intense classical pieces with maybe an exaggerated allegro assai. Roseanne glimpses at Kang Beomseok to make sure that the chill early air doesn't bother him.

The man doesn't seem to mind as he is immobile with a perfectly erect posture and forearms perpendicular to the steering wheel, eyes fixed at the road ahead and quiet breathings. Every now and then he blinks, the only sign that he is still alive. Roseanne has guessed he's a man of just a few words, or maybe it's too early in the morning一she can't blame him, it's past 3 a.m.

She enjoys the chilly morning for a few more minutes and then decides to close the car window once she's felt the cold creeping in her bones despite the heavy clothing. Tall buildings, locals, pubs gradually decrease and instead increase houses but even these in a few seconds are less and less. The car then goes uphill and when it gets to the top, Roseanne sees high hedges and gates with intricate and refined decorations.

When they near the gateway, her eyes almost bulge out of her sockets. Drowsiness is long forgotten as people in suit open the barred portal for them to enter. She is welcomed by a vast green lawn full of vegetation that surrounds a huge classic villa illuminated by lamps and wall lights. Does her grandma really live here?!

Kang Beomseok stops the car in front of the large dwelling house and exits to open her door, "Miss Chaeyoung, we have arrived. My colleagues will look after you from now onward, and rest assured, your belongings will be placed safely in the room you're sojourning tonight. With your permission, I kindly ask if I may take my leave."

"Ah yes, yo一you may," Roseanne stutters. The way the man speaks makes her too uncomfortable. It's too formal and professional, and besides, he bows down every time he consults her.

The brunette goes after the maids. Tiredness is obvious on their faces, probably they remained awake waiting for her arrival. However, her feeling bad is soon replaced with awe as she gapes at the entrance hall.

A huge chandelier is hanging from the ceiling embellished with ivory-colored floral decorations above them and is illuminating the majestic slightly-round staircase they are using to go up, but Roseanne's eyes stay secure down on the big open area, in which small sofas are placed on the sides, which are probably for the guests. On the second floor there's another hall, this time more alive, with portraits of different sizes and a piano. As she sees the musical instrument, Roseanne hugs her violin case. She also can't stop for a moment to gawk at them, because the maids enter one of the corridors that lead to so many doors.

But they stop in front of one, and the presumably-eldest maid drags it open to reveal a large room equally decorated in a classic and graceful way, with a king size bed in the middle. She recognizes her suitcase standing next to the foot of the furniture.

"This will be your room temporarily until your real bedroom is ready. We are incredibly sorry for giving you a mere guest room. I hope you forgive us," they all bow down, making Roseanne flustered. She shakes her hands in denial, "There's no problem, really. In fact, I think you've done too much. Thank you."

"You are so kind, Miss. There's no reason to thank us. We will ensure the availability of your room by tomorrow. If you may, we will leave now for you to rest."

Roseanne just nods so as not to hold on to them. They need to sleep and so does she.

She throws herself face down on the bed. She doesn't like how they talk to her, no, she hates it. They seem to want to underline their relationship as employee and employer. She tries to console herself by thinking that this is just the beginning of her first day. What an underwhelming start though, she doesn't know her grandmother yet, and instead, met a robot-man and overly fearful maids who call her 'Miss'. They've made her miss Rihyuk and Manawa.

And just then, she remembers her family expecting a message from her. She reaches for her phone and deactivates the 'Airplane mode'. It lags for a moment, but manages anyways to text them so they are aware she's arrived safe and sound. Knowing that South Korea is three hours behind, she calculates that it's 7 in the morning in New Zealand. As she finishes typing her message a notification pops up.

Roseanne's face lights up.

(Korean texts translated)

3:00 a.m.

Gguk✨: Welcome to Busan, Chae!

4:03 a.m

Chae🎻: GGUK!!
😂😂
We're finally in the
same town and time

Gguk✨: Hey
Video call?

Chae🎻: Right now?
Why are you still up?

Gguk✨:

Chae🎻:

 

 

 

 

Gguk

Gguk✨: Chae

Chae🎻: Jeongguk-ah

Gguk✨: Yes, honey?

Chae🎻: JEON

Gguk✨: pretty please
wanna hear your voice
and then you sleep

Chae🎻: you mean WE sleep
don't think I haven't
noticed you being awake
at ungodly hours

Gguk✨: kk
I'm calling

Roseanne's phone starts vibrating, and she accepts the call without thinking twice. She's beaming as she sees her friend's equally smiling face.

"Hey, Gukkie!" She says cutely and quickly makes a peace sign.

"Chae!"

"Okay, now you've heard my voice, let's go to sleep."

"You're so mean, Chae," he pouts and she giggles. "Seriously, Gguk you need to sleep more if not, you'll not grow up."

"Yah! Maybe I've surpassed you!"

"Maybe," emphasises Roseanne, prolonging the vowels. "What are you even wearing? Golden chain, not even in pyjam一Jeon Jeongguk, you're not at home, aren't you?"

"What do you mean? I sleep topless," he wiggles his brows teasingly.

She scoffs and then settles more comfortably in bed. Wow! The pillow is super soft, she can just fall asleep instantly. "You haven't answered my question."

"You're tired," points out Jeongguk, ignoring his friend's inquiry. At his statement Roseanne yawns, but shakes her head, "No, I'm just lacking energy."

"That is being tired, Chae." The girl rolls her eyes.

"I am not," but another yawn escapes .

"You are."

"Am not!"

He titters, "Sleep, Chae."

The tables have officially turned, now Jeongguk is the one who is inviting her to sleep. Roseanne wanted to point it out, but sleep is fastly taking over her system. She didn't sleep on the plane at all, and right now the combination of the soft pillow, the velvety sheets, and the warm comforter reminds her of her tiredness. She is so close to falling into the arms of Morpheus, but before she manages to whisper, "You sleep too, Gguk."

"Sweet dreams, my Moon," and just like that Jeongguk ends the call.

Roseanne sleeps peacefully with a gentle smile plastered on her face.

That's the welcome she wanted, and perhaps that short conversation strengthened her desire to start a new life in Busan, South Korea. Like in a musical piece, she is commencing the notes of her life Da Capo.

The next morning arrives in the blink of an eye, and Roseanne realizes she is still wearing the heavy jacket. Yesterday, or rather in the early morning, she was so tired that she hadn't changed. She heads to the bathroom attached to the room for a quick shower, but not before admiring the four walls. Everything in there screams 'Expensive'.

When all done, she leaves her room and is startled to see five maids in front of her door. How long have they been here outside her room? Did they stand all night there, or did they wait for her to come out? Whichever one it was, it is very disconcerting. They all bow down to greet her a 'Good morning'.

"The mistress is waiting for you in the dining room to have breakfast together," says the familiar woman. She seems to be the head-maid as she orders the others with a nod to enter the room, and they all oblige, pushing a cart full of cleaning products, rags and brooms.

The head-maid takes her downstairs to a large room with wide windows from which comes the main source of light of the place. A long rectangular table occupies the center of the dining room. At its head, sits a smiling woman with short black hair framing her face, each lock of hair seems to be placed neatly. A perfect hairstyle accompanied by amber-teardrop earrings that hang from both her ears. She seems kissed by youthful beauty. The only ones that mark her old age are wrinkles and some white hair.

Roseanne recognizes Kang Beomseok, who is maintaining an upright position, alongside the sitting classy woman. She doesn't know what to do, there is silence and the butler and the old woman are watching her. She imitates the head house-maid's bow.

"You may take a seat, my dear," invites the Park Jia, and the brunette sits in the place to which the maid has guided her. It's practically the other side of the table, so she's now facing the mistress who she supposes to be her grandmother.

She notices that her part of the table is already set with a napkin, a placemat, a glass, a set of chopsticks and a spoon.

"What do you desire to eat? The chef will try to meet your expectations."

"Uhm... I think cereal and some buttered toast are fine. Maybe with a glass of mango juice, if it is possible," she replies carefully.

"Oh, anything else, my dear?" Roseanne shakes her head.

"I don't think that's enough for brunch, but if that's what you want, that's okay. Maybe we can add some Korean delight, what do you say?" The brunette lowers and raises her head briefly in assent.

"Maru," calls Kang Beomseok, making the maid beside the girl alert, "Please refer this to the chef." And Maru complies.

Minutes later the food is served and they begin to eat. There is an awkward atmosphere in the room, only the sound of the chopsticks making contact with the ceramic plate can only be heard. Also, Roseanne feels in awe as she observes that Kang Beomseok is still in the same position with his eyes fixed on one spot. He looks like a statue.

Her eyes move down to analyze the woman who must be her grandmother. She must be her father's mother, but she doesn't see any resemblance一maybe the nose, still it's not very obvious. Her grandmother does not appear to have any serious illness or to be ill, perhaps her father was right when he told her mother that she is just pretending to get him home一she has remembered the conversation she overheard one time.

Roseanne wants to chit-chat but doesn't know how to start. Actually, she was expecting many questions, like asking how her father is doing or how is life in New Zealand. As far as she knows, the two don't talk to each other, so she at least thought her grandmother wanted to know if her son is still alive.

Also it is the first time they meet, is she not her granddaughter, the daughter of her son who she has not seen for a long time? And how can that man stay motionless for so long?! The people in this house are really stiff, they have no character and they talk high-sounding.

Jia seems to have sensed the gaze of her granddaughter who looks away quickly with flushing chubby cheeks, being caught red handed.

"Are you appreciating the meal or perhaps, do you want something else, my dear?"

"No, don't worry it's really delicious, that's more than enough," she says truthfully as she glances at the different types of dishes placed on the table... They are aesthetically pleasing to the sight, she is sated by just looking at them. She doesn't even know if she can finish everything, perhaps can't even taste them all, but she doesn't want to waste food, especially because the chef has taken his time to carefully prepare these delicacies. Well... she can test her glutton self.

"I see my granddaughter is pleased with the food," notes her grandmother. Roseanne smiles sheepishly, mindful of not showing her teeth as is still full. "I actually love eating, especially food made with love and care," she declares after freeing . She thereupon brings an egg roll to her lips, but not even half-way, a sincere laugh comes from the other side of the table.

Roseanne's eyes sparkle as she sees her grandmother cover her lower face as she laughs eyes closed.

"So lovely," comments Jia.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter