Different Pains.

Beautiful.

                “Where is she?” Hyunseung asked in a worried tone.

                “She just took some medicine. She’s asleep right now,” Sophie replied.

                Hyunseung ran toward the door to Maria’s room and slowly turned the door knob. He walked inside with each step taken cautiously and quietly. On the tiny bed, the mother was sleeping soundly. She was smiling warmly despite the uncomfortable state that she was sleeping in.   

                Hyunseung kneeled down beside her. He brushed his fingertips through the rough and uncomfortable ropes that were tied tightly around her wrists. He gave a painful expression looking at his mother who he couldn’t even give any sort of comfort to.

                “Can’t you loosen these a bit?” Hyunseung whispered softly to the nurse behind him.

                “We’ll have to keep it this way in case she runs away again,” Sophie replied quietly, and then a sincere apology followed. “Sorry.”

                “No it’s okay. I understand.”

                “Then, I’ll leave you alone for now. Call me anytime if you need me.”

                The nurse left the room and closed the door.

                Hyunseung held his mother’s hands that were surprisingly cold.

                “Umma,” It was the first time that he called her “umma” since he was a child. He had only been calling her Maria. “I’m sorry, umma.”

                His eyes reddened.

                “I couldn’t protect you because I was young. Now that I’m older, I still couldn’t be a good son to you.” Soon droplets of tears rolled down his cheeks. He placed her hands against his face to warm them at least a bit. He stayed like that for a while before he got up to leave.

                “Hyunseungssi, you’re leaving?” Sophie called when he walked out of the room.

                “Ah yeh, thanks for watching over my mother.”

                “That’s the least I can do,” Sophie scratched her head and flushed.

 

***

 

                The coach blew the whistle and the girls began to run along the tracks. Krystal started out being in the front. She slowed down after the first lap and fell behind. Usually she would start out first and stay in the first. Recently, she feels tired easier as if she has to exert more strength in doing anything. She breathed in and out quicker to catch her breath but it became harder to do so as she ran longer.

                The sun was blazing hot and there was no breeze at all. The leaves on the tree were motionless. The animals and birds were trying to find some sort of shades under those trees. Among them was a person leaning against the trunk.

                Hyunseung opened his eyes to the sound of the whistle. He yawned and looked down at the track field. There, he spotted Krystal, the intruder of his mind. He had almost forgotten about her, but she reappeared in front of him again. He noticed that she was struggling. Then, he remembered her state. He wanted to stop her from running, but he couldn’t get himself to be in the center of attentions.

                Krystal finally stopped and collapsed on her legs.

                “Are you okay?” the coach asked.

                Krystal nodded as she breathed unevenly. Her lips were pale and dry.

                “You don’t look too well. Why don’t you stop at here for today?” The coach assisted Krystal to the bench.

                Hyunseung sighed in relief when he saw that Krystal was finally resting. He became captivated by her beauty again. From his view above, her back could be seen. Her neck looked baby-soft with its flawless complexion. It curved inward slightly like the one of a swan. The loose strands of silk-like hair that could not be tied into her ponytail were tucked neatly behind her ears. The small droplets of sweat on her skin glistened like marble.

                He couldn’t take his eyes off her for a moment as if he was casted under a spell. She tiled her backward as she drank from a bottle of water. The way she swallowed was also aesthetically appealing. Her pale lips returned to being soft-pink. Hyunseung took his camera out of his bag and snapped several shots of her from behind to save this beautiful moment.

                The spell was broken when coach noticed him under the tree. He grabbed his bag and got up quickly to escape before he gets into trouble for skipping class.

                Krystal felt bile pushing its way up her esophagus again. She stood up and ran toward the school.

                “Hey, student Jung! Where are you going?” The coach called after her but could not run after her and leave the other students alone.

                Krystal didn’t have the time to respond to him. All she had on her mind was to find an area where no one would see her. She ended up in an alley between the school buildings. She let everything out over there. Coincidentally, Hyunseung was also there, just around the corner reading. He peeked from the wall and retreated as soon as he saw Krystal. He didn’t know why he was so anxious seeing her. He thought for a second time and decided to confront her, but someone else appeared.

                “Krystal?” Jinho said while passing by as he recognized her.

                Krystal turned weakly around to face Jinho. Her body was still arched forward with one hand pushing again the wall. Her eyes widened at her boyfriend’s presence.

                “Krystal… don’t tell me you really are…?” Jinho’s voice was shaking from shock.

                “Oppa…” She called with her last breath.

                “You’re kidding right?” He laughed bitterly.

                “I’m sorry. I couldn’t keep my promise.”

                Jinho did not ask her if she was okay nor feel sympathy for her. All he could think about was that it could not be true. He looked at Krystal contemptuously. Without another word, he ran away leaving Krystal alone. It was over. Everything happened so rapidly that it seemed unreal. She stood there motionless for a minute before she could absorb everything and realize what was going on.

                I should’ve killed the baby.

                Hyunseung was observing the entire scene. He did not know how he should feel. He was relieved that Jinho left Krystal. He asked himself if he was being too selfish because at the same time he pitied her.

                Krystal broke down and started sulking.

                “Is this really it?” She whispered to herself. Then she began sniffling with tears shedding uncontrollably. She choked on the mucus formed in .

                Hyunseung stepped out from the wall and patted her on the back. Krystal jerked backward and gasped. She stared at him with eyes filled with pain. He didn’t say anything to her. Instead, his focus went on her cheeks. He started wiping the tears off her face with his fingers. Krystal was surprised and felt awkward at his action. She pulled backward signaling him to stop. He finally realized her uncomfortable expression and put his hand down.

                “Sorry, it’s just that you don’t look as pretty when you cry,” Hyunseung said bluntly. 

                Krystal was so amused at his words that she stopped crying. There was an awkward silence between those two. Their eyes met for a long time.

                “Ah, I think I should leave,” he couldn’t believe what he just did as he paced away.

                “Thanks,” Krystal said quickly.

                It’s okay because you’re beautiful, he mouthed to himself as he walked further away.

 

***

 

                Hyunseung paid another visit to Maria before he went home. It was pitch dark by then.

                A black and grand gate is standing at the end of the block setting a restriction into the vicinity of the land property. He pushed the gate open revealing a garden stretching vastly across and forward. A walkway is paved through the center of the lawn leading to the manor. There is a tiny hill before the path reaches the building.

                The Palladian windows are grand revealing every bit of details inside one room, for it was the only one with its lights on. A chandelier, which was the source of light, could be seen through the glass panels. That room belongs to no other than the owner of the house.

                Hyunseung took a deep breath and entered the foyer of the manor. The maid greeted him quietly. The tiny lamps along the walls are lit dimly. The limestone floor is reflecting every light bulb clearly as if it was just polished. The tapping sound caused by Hyunseung’s shoes as he walked echoed itself off the high ceilings. 

                A figured appeared to be sitting on the sofa of the entrance hall. He was waiting for his son’s return. Hyunseung jumped back when he saw his father sitting there in a firm posture with his eyes fixed on him.

                “You’re back late today,” his father said.

                “My apologies, abeoji.”

                “We have other business to take care of; come to my office.”

                “Yes, abeoji,” his head was down. His hands became sweaty.

                Together they entered the brightly lit room.

                “I heard you dropped to second place in school this semester.”

                “I was incompetent.”

                “You know I didn’t raise you to place second.”

                His father turned around suddenly and gave him a fist on his stomach. Hyunseung bit his lips to keep himself from screaming in pain. Then, his father slammed him against the cabinet shattering the glass doors.

                “Sorry, I’m sorry,” Hyunseung apologized in feared.

                “I do not want to hear your excuses anymore. You hear me?”

                “Yes, I hear you.”

                He walked closer to the terrified boy and bent down so their faces are at the same level. Hyunseung panted heavily as he stared into his father’s eyes.

                “This will not happen again. Okay?”

                He nodded quickly in respond.

                The father stood back up and walked out of the office.

                “Miss Kim, there was an accident!” The man called as he walked down the hall.

                “Yeh, President Jang!” The maid called back.

                When the maid entered the office, Hyunseung was still on the floor in pain.

                “Omo, are you okay, young master?” She quickly went to assist him.

                “Yes, it was an accident.” Hyunseung got up clumsily and left.

                The clueless maid continued with her job and cleaned up the mess.