Big brother

BIG BROTHER

Siwon is anxious and feels redundant in the delivery room. Two nurses and one doctor are surrounding his husband Ryeowook who is delivering their second son and Siwon can only nervously stands aside so he isn’t hindering delivering the baby. Ryeowook is lying in a delivery bed with his legs in stirrups and the doctor is sitting on a stool with wheels right between Ryeowook’s spread legs and he is helping him with bringing the baby into this world. Siwon is sweating and his shirt is drenched while his eyes keep roaming around the room. Many medical equipments are discreetly tucked away just in case that something goes wrong and they will need them. Siwon prays that they won’t need it, Kyuhyun’s birth was quick and easy but their second son somehow isn’t so eager to meet his parents. Ryeowook is screaming, panting and cursing his husband, but then his son finally left his body. The baby is crying on the top of his little lungs and Ryeowook used the last piece of strength in his body to sit up a bit to see his son. A nurse smiles at Siwon and told him to come closer. The man hesitantly goes closer to the bed and stares at the tiny baby who is now lying on Ryeowook’s chest.

The baby is really tiny and he is still red and wrinkled. Siwon feels tears in his eyes when he takes in every tiny detail of his newborn son. The black hair on his small head, the tiny fingers and tiny nose which is scrunched up as it is still pressed to his mother’s womb. The doctor examined the baby and said that everything is okay and then he checked Ryeowook. The mother and baby are both healthy and the nurses and doctor left.

“He is perfect.”

Siwon uses tips of his fingers to his son’s hair and kisses Ryeowook on the forehead.

“Aesongie, welcome.”

Siwon smiles when the baby yawned and Ryeowook gently guides him to drink some milk. Yesung is hungrily on the delicious milk of his mommy and then Siwon can finally hold him too. A nurse came to help Ryeowook with getting in the bathroom to take a shower. He is soon clean, dressed and he can lie down in the bed. Ryeowook is exhausted, but he fights to keep his eyes opened to watch Siwon taking care of Yesung. Siwon is cooing over the cute baby who is quickly falling asleep. Siwon diapered him, dressed him and then put a small hat on the top of his head and put a pair of soft mittens on his tiny hands. Siwon can’t take his eyes off his son and laid him in a bassinet right next to Ryeowook’s bed. Siwon would like to stay, but their second son Kyuhyun is waiting at home. Siwon arrived home and found his mother asleep on the couch in the living room. He silently goes in his son’s room and sees that Kyuhyun is sleeping in his bed. Siwon smiles because he can’t wait for bringing Kyuhyun in the hospital to meet his baby brother.

Kyuhyun wakes up and immediately runs in his parents bedroom. He frowned when he spotted that his mommy isn’t there and he slapped his daddy’s forehead.

“Where is mommy?”

Siwon sighed and rubs his face.

“Mommy and your baby brother are in a hospital and we are going to visit them today.”

Kyuhyun frowns and his daddy carries him in the kitchen so they can eat breakfast. Then Siwon takes his son in the hospital where is waiting Ryeowook and the tiny baby. Kyuhyun is holding his daddy’s hand and Siwon leads him in Ryeowook’s room. Kyuhyun immediately runs to his mommy, but then stopped after spotting some tiny bundle in his mommy’s arms. Ryeowook pulled Kyuhyun on the hospital bed and gently Yesung’s soft hair.

“Kyuhyun, meet Yesung, your baby brother.”

Ryeowook’s smile is wide and happy but then he spots few tears leaving the eyes of his older son. Kyuhyun is watching the baby and cries because he is the only baby, his mommy can hold only him and not some weird wrinkled thing. Ryeowook quickly hugs his son and kisses his cheeks while explaining that Yesung is very tiny and fragile baby and Kyuhyun needs to protect him like a good big brother. Kyuhyun isn’t listening him, he is angrily glaring at the sleeping baby who has no idea how much hate Kyuhyun feels toward him. Yesung is only two days old so all he does is sleep. He sleeps for the whole visit and stirs in the soft blanket when his daddy and brother want to leave. Siwon quickly leaned above the small crib where is lying his son and coos. Yesung opened his eyes and starts to cry so Siwon quickly hands him to Ryeowook who feeds him. Kyuhyun doesn’t want to leave his mommy but they have to so he also starts to cry while his daddy carries him in their car. Kyuhyun can’t stop crying after he saw his mommy for only a few hours and now he also knows that he has a baby brother. He cries, but at least daddy buys him ice cream to calm him down. They go home and Siwon keeps telling Kyuhyun how great it is to have a younger brother.

“You are going to play together and have so much fun and then …”

Kyuhyun doesn’t listen to him. He wants his mommy only for himself! Taking care of Kyuhyun is one big hell because he keeps crying and whining that he wants his mommy. After four long days Ryeowook finally comes home with the small bundle of joy peacefully sleeping in a stroller. Ryeowook is touching and holding the baby all the time because in a few days he is going back in his office. Siwon is slowly regretting the idea that Ryeowook will work and he will stay with the kids. The list of his new duties is very long and there are so many things which can go wrong. Siwon knew that newborns are fragile, but this?! Almost everything can potentially kill Yesung. Ryeowook keeps saying that it will be fine, but the morning he is leaving and Siwon watches him with crying Kyuhyun clinging to his legs, Siwon feels that he is going to cry too. At least Yesung is calm. As long as he has a dry diaper and full tummy he is doing good. Kyuhyun is a different story. He cries all the time, he hates that his mommy is so busy with that stupid baby. Even his grandma is cooing over the baby and doesn’t pay attention to him.

Siwon is lost. Yes, he helped with Kyuhyun, but not so much. He has to cook, clean the house, take care of Yesung and five years old Kyuhyun started to attend kindergarten which is the biggest fight. Kyuhyun easily found friends, but he doesn’t like being there alone. Every morning daddy puts the baby in a stroller, grabs Kyuhyun and drags him in the kindergarten only to come six hours later. The boy thinks that it is unfair the baby can be at home and do nothing while he has to learn so many things - numbers, reading, writing and more. His friends are the only good thing in that terrible place. Kyuhyun’s best friend Yoongi also has a little brother, Taehyung.

“It isn’t bad, mommy buys me many toys so I am not loud and the baby can sleep.”

Kyuhyun isn’t sure about that because he isn’t getting new toys, only the baby has many new and colorful toys. Today he came back from the kindergarten and stares at Yesung who is lying on a soft blanket on the carpet in the living room. Toys are lying around him and Kyuhyun doesn’t know why he has toys when he can’t even lift his arms. His daddy caught him staring and told him that Yesung is two months old and he can recognize faces. Kyuhyun doesn’t know why it is so important and makes grabby hands toward his daddy to be picked up. However, the baby started to cry and his daddy hurries to pick him up. Siwon has to change the baby while another kid runs around him and screams his head off. Yesung is crying and his cute face is red while Siwon does everything to calm his sons down.

Ryeowook feels weird when he comes home and dinner is ready, the house is clean and Yesung is already asleep. Ryeowook can only bath Kyuhyun and then he spends a moment with his tired husband. He feels a bit bad that he works and his baby is with the daddy, but his job brings more money. Only weekends mean that he can spend all the time with his sons and Kyuhyun complains about kindergarten and being a big brother. He really doesn’t know what to do as a big brother, Yoongi’s brother can walk, Kyuhyun saw it but Yesung is only lying and does nothing. They can’t play. A few weeks later another hell came - Yesung’s teeth are starting to grow.

 

They can’t believe that such a small thing can emit noises like this. Siwon understands that it hurts and he tries everything he found on the Internet, but nothing works. Kyuhyun is usually tired after coming from kindergarten and he wants to take another nap, but can’t. He got mad and angrily runs in the nursery and grips the bars of the crib. He is staring at the small thing which is emitting such ear-splitting noises and yells:

“Stop!”

Kyuhyun frowns and stomps his feet to show that he is really mad at Yesung. Siwon walks in the nursery and hugs Kyuhyun.

“Kyu, he can’t help it. See, his first teeth are growing.”

Siwon gently touches Yesung’s lips and shows Kyuhyun the pink gums. Kyuhyun sees some tiny white spots on the gums and his daddy is telling him that this is how you get your teeth. Kyuhyun is angry and his daddy picks him up. They are watching Yesung who is getting tired due to his crying and Siwon gives a lollipop to Kyuhyun.

“Let’s go and watch cartoons.”

Kyuhyun is watching Duck tales while his daddy holds the baby so he won’t cry.

Kyuhyun is struggling to accept that he isn’t the number 1 priority of his parents. They both love him, but it is hard to divine their time and attention equally when Yesung needs them more. Kyuhyun is hating his brother. He often annoys the baby when no one is around until Yesung bursts into tears and then acts innocent in front of his worried parents who try to find out why is the baby crying. Everyone wants Kyuhyun to act like a big brother, he shouldn’t bother his parents when they feed, change or bath the baby. One evening when his daddy was tucking him in bed, they had a serious talk.

“Kyuhyun, I know you are mad and sad and I am sorry that we caused this. But Yesung is growing up, soon he will speak more and walk and do much more than now. Soon he won’t need us so much. Please, wait a bit longer and then you will see how great it is to have a brother.”

Kyuhyun only pouted because everyone wants him to be a bit grown-up and Kyuhyun can’t do it. Then came a day when he decided to run away from home. He asked Yoongi if he can come to him and the boy immediately agreed so after coming home from kindergarten, he packs a few toys but can’t find his stuffed penguin. He can’t leave without it so he goes to find it.

Yesung is seven months old and he discovered crawling and he found his brother’s penguin. Right now he is clutching the stuffed toy in his arms while sitting in a playpen and daddy is preparing a snack for his boys. Kyuhyun frowned at the baby and runs to the playpen to take back his beloved toy. It is hard because Yesung’s grip is surprisingly tight. After a moment Kyuhyun managed to rip it out of the baby’s small hands and Yesung’s eyes filled with tears.

“Everything was better before you came.”

Kyuhyun turns around to sneak out of the house when suddenly Yesung whines behind him.

“Kyu …”

Yesung is reaching his arms toward his brother and Kyuhyun slowly turns back. Siwon also heard the high pitched voice and his jaw dropped. He abandons the almost prepared snack and hurries in the living room. They are both staring at the baby who repeated the word while also starting to cry. Only now Siwon sees the backpack on Kyuhyun’s back and frowns.

“Where are you going?”

Kyuhyun tries to run to the front door, but Siwon grabs him under armpits and picks him up.

“Your brother loves you, look at him. Yesung would miss you so much.”

Siwon his hair and takes the backpack from him.

“You can’t leave us when we love you so much.”

Siwon sat down in front of the playpen where is sitting whining Yesung and Kyuhyun smiles a bit at him. Yesung keeps yelling his first word and Kyuhyun starts to laugh because daddy tickles him.

“Kyu, you little rascal. You are the baby’s first word, that means he loves you the most.”

Kyuhyun’s face becomes serious.

“Really?”

Siwon nods and tries to hide that he wished to be Yesung’s first word. Kyuhyun’s first word was mommy so now it was his turn. However, now it looks like Kyuhyun is finally liking the baby. Yesung might not know it yet, but his first word couldn’t have been better. The easy word softened up Kyuhyun’s heart and he is proud to be a big brother if it means that he is Yesung’s most favorite person.

 

The end