Remember

Remember
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Synopsis:

Moon Soo Won met his lover after seven years of being separated. She waited for him but when he came back he doesn't have a memory of her anymore. She hid their history and acted as a friend who could help him get his memories back. What would happen if he does and what would happen if he doesn't?

 

* * *

 

Characters:

Moon Chae Won as Moon Soo Won
Jung Il Woo as Jung Ji  Hoon

 

* * *

 

A gray sedan was waiting for the traffic light to turn green. Inside was a man driving it. His eyes were scanning the area when a woman across the block caught his attention.

She appeared to be just another woman, nothing special, nothing extraordinary.

He could not see her face clearly as she was far from him. She was running as if she was late for a meeting. That was what caught his attention.

"It won't be a surprise if she'd cause an accident." He murmured to himself.

His attention was shifted to his phone when it rang. A smile crept on his face as he answered it. "Ran"

"Oppa, where are you now?"

"I'm on my way."

He was still on the phone when the lights turned green. He stepped on the gas without checking if the crossing was all clear. He was careless.

When his car slowly started to move forward, a person suddenly crossed the pedestrian and he almost hit her if only his reflexes were late for a millisecond.

The woman bowed twice, apologizing, before she continued to cross the remaining distance.

The sound of the horn from the car behind brought him back to his senses. He drove off after checking one last time if the crossing was clear, and it clearly was.

"Oppa? What sound was that? Did you cause an accident? Are you okay?" The woman from the other line worriedly asked.

"Ah, I almost hit a woman. She seemed to be late for an appointment and was in a hurry."

"I see, good thing you're fine or I'll never forgive that woman."

He laughed softly.

 

*  *  *

 

Soo Won hurriedly went inside a meeting room. Thankfully she made it just in time or else she'd receive another scolding from her head.

"Is Miss Seo here yet?" She asked her colleague.

"She dropped by a little earlier to inform us she was called up there. She'd be back in a few."

Soo Won felt relieved, she slowly even out her breathing.

"Did you get anything from Chaewon?" Her colleague asked.

Soo Won sighed, "Moon Chaewon is frustratingly so private and careful, I couldn't get a scoop."

"She's known to be one of the hard jobs." Her colleague, Ji Won, said. "What will you do, Miss Seo will surely give you a scolding."

Soo's mood suddenly livened, "Don't worry I got lucky few days ago and got something."

She quickly scanned through her things only to find out that she lost her drive. She begun to rattle and her colleague noticed.

"What's wrong?"

"I can't find my memory drive. Where is it? I'm sure I have it before coming here."

"Maybe it's on your desk, try checking it." Ji Won suggested.

"No, I went straight here." She tried to think where it could possibly be. If she dropped it off somewhere.

"I'm sure I have it," she mumbled.

Soo Won tried to recall everything that happened. From when she got out of her place and arrived at work.

"Ah right!" She quickly got up and went out of the conference room.

"Where are you going?" Ji Won shouted.

"Somewhere, I'll be right back!"

"You've got to be fast or else you'll get a good scolding!"

Soo Won couldn't reply anymore, all she could think of was going straight to where she almost had an accident a while ago, hoping she could find it there.

 

* * *

 

"Oppa," Ran was all smiles meeting Ji Hoon outside her office.

Ji Hoon was leaning on the front hood of his car. Soon as he heard her calling for him, he automatically waved to her. "You're done?"

"Mmm"

He opened the passenger door for her to get in. He has always done this. It was a good habit that he didn't know when it started. He was a gentleman, and it was one of the many reasons why Ran liked him.

When he settled on his seat, Ran noticed how he was playing with a small container on his hand. She asked, "What are you thinking?"

"Oh?" He was in his own world and it showed.

"What are you holding and why you seem to be out of this world?"

He smiled, "Was I? I'm sorry, I did not notice. I'm probably just tired." He glanced at the small container he was holding before he sets it down to the empty compartment of his car.

Ran took it, curious as to what the thing was. She opened and saw a memory drive in it, "What's this for?" She asked.

"I'm not sure. I just saw it on the hood."

"This looks very important," she knew. She's not unfamiliar with how important these things are for. "This needs to be returned."

Fortunately there was a number written on the container. "Good thing it has the owner's number here."

 

* * *

 

Soo Won was sulking on her bed. She, again, got scolded at the office for not giving any scoop for the past two months. She works at an entertainment news publishing company and was assigned to tail on celebrities. Yes, she was a celebrity photographer, to be precise a paparazzi.

"Cheer up! I know you'd get a call sooner than later." Her friend Ye Na said, trying to lift her spirit up.

"It's been hours, if the person who got that has plans on returning it to me they should've called already." She complained.

"You made sure there was your number in it right? I told you multiple times knowing how clumsy you are."

Soo Won just rolled her eyes at her friend's remark.

Beep beep

Both turned to her phone faster than one could think of.

Soo Won picked it up before the second vibrate went off. She was eagerly waiting for the other line to speak, knowing what it was for.

Ye Na was eavesdropping, yet she couldn't hear a thing but Soo Won's soft nods.

"Thank you," she said before ending the call.

"Was that for the drive?"

Soo Won happily nodded.

"See," Ye Na settled back on her own bed. Her phone lighted up indicating a message just arrived. It was from her boyfriend. Before she took her phone she asked Soo Won, "Was it a man or a lady?"

Soo Won just gave her a piercing glare.

"What? I was just asking."

"Then you should stop asking me those questions."

"Then you should stop hoping for someone who left to come back when it's been almost a decade already."

"It's only seven years, mind you."

"Seven years, eight months and a little over two weeks, to be exact."

Soo Won threw her the nearest throw pillow she had. "Just answer your boyfriend already."

Ye Na took her phone teasingly, "Oh I will."

Soo shook her head as if saying you're lucky I love you.

She and Ye Na were friends for more than a decade already. Ye Na was there when she was at her happiest moments and was there at her downest ones.

If someone can give her a real talk, it was Ye Na.

 

* * *

 

It was Saturday and Ran was supposed to meet Soo Won at noon, but something at work needs her hand. Ji Hoon who was there to fetch her had no choice but to return the drive instead.

Meanwhile, Soo Won couldn't wait but at the same time she felt uneasy. "Why am I feeling like this all of a sudden?" She asked herself softly as she was on her way to the meet up place.

She arrived early. She hates to keep someone waiting so she always chose to be the one waiting if the situation permits.

It has been ten minutes. Ran has already informed her that someone else will meet her instead and that he will be a little late.

She needed to go to the ladies area as she had been drinking from uneasiness.

A call came from unregistered number. She knew it was from the one she's going to meet. She felt stranger, she was never anxious in meeting new faces before, thanks to the kind of work she has, but today was an exception.

She quickly head back to her seat and noticed there was already a man who's back faced her direction. Her heart started to beat strangely, but somehow she felt it's familiar.

She took a deep breath as she announced her arrival without looking directly at him. "I'm sorry, did I keep you..." She was about to take her seat when she finally took a glance at the man in front of her. He stood up as a respect.

She trembled.

The face of the man in front of her was someone she knew so well. Memories started to flood in her head.

"Drive safe," Soo said to him.

"See you later," he responded.

"I told you, you don't have to go later." She smiled at him.

"Okay fine," he acted disappointed.

"I love you Ji Hoon," she tried to make him feel better but he didn't fell for it. "Ahh come on," she shook his hand trying to get his response.

"I love you Soo," he finally gave in.

That was the last time they saw each other not until at this moment.

Ji Hoon was showing his confusion as she was still in dazed looking at him.

"Ji Hoon..." she finally uttered softly, in disbelief.

"Oh?" He pondered for a moment, "Ah, Ran told you." He smiled, "Yes I'm Ji Hoon, and I believe you're the owner of this?"

Her legs weakened causing her to sit on her chair, still lost of words. His presence was one thing, and how he doesn't recognize her was another.

"Excuse me? Are you okay?" He leaned a bit forward, worried.

His voice, it has been years but she was sure it's him. His fashion changed, his hair changed, his face wasn't exactly how she remembered it but she knew for sure he was the Ji Hoon she knows. Her heart said so.

"It's me, Soo." She said softly hoping he'd realize.

"Pardon?"

She gathered up her courage and said more firmly. "It's me Soo Won, don't you remember?"

"I'm sorry but..." he trailed off not sure how to word his response properly.

"Where have you been all these years?" She asked without waiting for the next thing he wanted to say.

"Do you know me from years ago?" He was doubtful and thrilled at the same time.

"You don't remember me," she said in defeat. Her voice was barely audible but he managed to hear what she said.

"I'm sorry," he apologized knowing that she's probably one of those few that he knew before the accident, whom he met again after coming back to Korea.

"What am I supposed to do?" She asked to herself more than it was for him.

"Umm," he didn't know what exactly to do either. "We could be friends again? Rekindle the lost connection? I mean..." he awkwardly dragged his next words. "We were friends right? Not enemies? Or, are we lovers?" His smile was awkward too.

A tear fell from her eye, and she was quick to blink it all away. She breathed in deeply and gave a smile, it was forced but he doesn't have to know that. "Of course not. We, were... really good friends."

Ji Hoon didn't stay long but he got her number and he promised to keep in touch and catch up.
 

 

Back to Soo Won and Ye Na's shared place. Soo Won told her best friend what happened at the meeting.

"What did you say? A friend?" Ye Na's tone went higher. "A good friend, really? Are you serious?"

Soo Won felt so down. She didn't know what to do; she couldn't even tell what she was feeling exactly.

Ye Na was so thrilled upon hearing what had happened, how he just appeared all of a sudden as if destiny was playing with them. She was in denial how it's happening like that in the movies.

"First, it still feels surreal. Like, are we filming a movie?" Ye Na expressed her disbelief for the nth time. "Second, my gosh Soo Won, of all days why did you decide to not use your brain at that moment?"

"What do you expect me to do? Tell him we were lovers not until he magically appeared seven years later?"

"Well you should've done so." Soo Won just shook her head. For some reason she wasn't able to tell him the truth, for whatever reason, she hasn't figured out.

Ye Na released a heavy sigh to calm herself. "Look, you were looking for him for three years until you decided to leave it all in fate. Now that he appeared, if that isn't fate then what?"

"I know..."

"You've already wasted seven years apart, and you're still trapped in what was between you two. I just don't want you to waste anymore minute away from each other. I'm afraid you might really end up apart if you don't grab the chance."

Ye Na sincerely advised as she comforts her friend in front of her.

"What if we really lost it? What if it's too late?"

"It's for you to find out. You wouldn't know unless you confront him."

"He has lost his memories, what if I'm the only one who's left behind?"

"Then make it clear so you'll be able to free yourself as well."

The night has gotten darker and they settled with heavy hearts but at the same time looking forward for what's waiting. Ye Na was right, Soo Won has to face this straight or runaway with unanswered what-if's her whole life. Before she dives into sleep, she made up her mind to do the former.

 

* * *

 

"Really?"

Ran was excited to hear Ji Hoon's story about what happened yesterday. "How small the world is. You should thank me; if it wasn't for me you wouldn't have met a good friend from your past."

Ji Hoon smiled, "Thank you."

"When are you seeing her again? You should catch up maybe you'll get your memories back."

"On the weekend, you wanna come?"

Ran shook her head no. "Oh no, I'd love to but I'd be busy this weekend too. Plus it'd be nice if you catch up with her alone, I might just mess things up. I know how much you wanted to find that lost memory." She patted his back and went to the kitchen.

"But, I'd love to meet her one day," she added.

"Of course"

The weekend came fast. Soo Won felt mixed emotions while Ji Hoon felt excited. All those who he accidentally met were just colleagues; it was his first to meet someone who claimed to be his good friend.

All these years he was hungry for the memories that he lost. It was only because of Ran that he let go of his obsession of getting it back.

Deep down, he knows he was still waiting for this day to come. As if something from his past was keeping a part of him behind. Not that he's trapped from his past but he thought he can't fully go forward with a part of him still nowhere to be found.

"Hi," Ji Hoon greeted her enthusiastically. She was still calming herself and didn't notice him from behind, causing her to be a little jumpy. "I'm sorry," he scratched his head while flashing his apologetic smile.

"Hi," she responded awkwardly.

"Please relax; I don't want you to feel uncomfortable."

She took a deep breath and started relaxing herself. "Right, so where do you want to start?"

They spent the second half of the day going through places he used to live and go to.

"I'm sorry, I still don't remember anything." He was apologetic. This was only the second time he has been to his old house after he came back from the States. His parents refused the idea so he secretly came alone. "But thank you, the first time I came here all I knew was my childhood and early adolescence but thanks to you who knows me a lot that I got to places I never knew I went to."

Soo Won was disappointed but she came knowing there's a little possibility he'd get his memories back just by coming to his old house and visiting some places they were frequent. "It's okay, there are a lot more places we could go to."

"If I'm not taking so much of your time?"

"It's nothing."

It had been a month since they met again, and they've been spending few days each week together. She was dedicated on trying to help him get his memories back. For what reason, only she and Ye Na knew.

"Has been a month and his head is still refusing to remember." Soo Won just roll-eyed hearing Ye Na's words. "Looks like I need to continue looking for a man that would mend a friend's broken heart," Ye Na went on saying as she sneakily escaped their shared apartment knowing too well that Soo Won was going to throw something at her.

Ye Na peeked after hearing a soft bang of whatever it was that Soo Won decided to throw. "Missed," she teased but then another slipper was flying straight for her face. It was too fast that she wasn't able to avoid it.

"I know, so a second throw was necessary," it was Soo's turn to escape after sticking her tongue out at her friend.

Soo snickered hearing her friend screaming for her. She saw her reflection on the mirror and slowly her smile faded. She was meeting Ji Hoon later, she got reminded.

She put on layers of clothes and topped it with white scarf. The weather was getting colder as they approached the middle of the winter season.

"White looks good on you," Ji Hoon complemented. "Strangely this feels familiar, have I told you this before too?"

Soo responded with a thin smile, reminded of the old days.

Ji Hoon took off his scarf and put it around Soo's neck. "White looks good on you, it compliments so well with your face that is turning red."

It wasn't the first time, though he did not fully remembered, he already has undeniable connection with his past. His mind may still refuse to remember but his heart has started to open up.

They both ordered noodles perfect for the cold weather. They enjoyed their meal and stayed a little longer. They shared small talks like they always have.

"I'd take the pill too." A dialogue coming from the television.

"She's willing to take the pill just so she could keep herself away from a heartbreaking truth. I would too." She said to no one specifically.

"What?"

Soo Won gestured to his back where a drama was shown on television.

He turned to see for himself, "Isn't that Flower of Evil?"

"You watch dramas?"

"Not really, but Ran loves that show. It's a rerun?"

"Seems so"

"Ran's a big fan of Moon Chaewon."

Soo Won sighed at the mention of his girlfriend again. He always has ways to bring her into their topic, she thought. "Well, she's someone giving me a hard time."

"Why so?"

"It's totally hard to get a scoop on her."

"So why do you do that?"

"And why not?" Suddenly her mood turned a bit sour.

"Because it's their lives, paparazzi's should just respect celebrities' privacy."

That was enough to ruin her mood totally. "And you think I do this because I want to?" Her voice was a bit higher, throwing him off.

"Woah woah, we're just talking here you don't have to raise your voice."

"Never mind, I should just go. I'm suddenly not in the mood." She stood up and went out of the noodle house they've been frequent lately.

He hurriedly paid and ran after her. He grabbed her wrist when she was in his reach. "Hey"

"What?"

"I'm sorry," he shook his head thinking where he did wrong. "I'm sorry if I offended you and your work."

She sighed, "I'm sorry, I'm just really tired."

He smiled at her now calm self. "Let's go, I'll give you a ride."
 

 

"So how did you become one?" He asked when the ride has been silent for a while. Soo Won took a side glance at him, not really sure what he meant about. He smiled a bit nervous, "I mean your work."

She turned her eyes back on the road. She's got calmer now. "It just turned out that way."

"If you don't like what you're doing, why not quit?"

"I would have if it's that simple." She shifted from her seat to find comfortable sitting position and closed her eyes, indicating she doesn't want to be bothered and he sensed that.

 

* * *

 

It has been three days since Soo Won started ignoring Ji Hoon.

"She must have been really upset," Ran said as she lied down on his lap. They were spending a weekend at his place. "Not all paparazzi's are disrespectful. Some does it because they don't have a choice."

"We always have a choice."

"Maybe for their situation that's the only choice that can save them."

"Even if it is would hurt other people's lives?"

"Sometimes you have to turn a blind eye to keep breathing. It's in between, you can't say it's totally wrong and you can't say it's totally right."

Ji Hoon was still bothered how Soo Won hasn't returned his messages yet. It has been almost a week already. For the past month that they have been buddies, he got used to seeing her whenever he asks to meet, or often does, she was the one initiating to meet.

"Here's your drinks sir, one cup of iced americano and cucumber plum with yogurt for to-go. Thank you and please come again."

"Thank you," Ji Hoon smiled at the lady serving him.

He was on his phone trying to search where E-ntertainment was located. It was Soo Won's workplace and he was already at the area but since the place was surrounded by buildings, he didn't know exactly which one.

"3rd floor Diamond Building," he muttered as he searched the area with his eyes. He was looking from one building to another that he did not notice a man nearing him.

"Jung Ji Hoon?" A man about his height approached him cautiously, unsure if it's who he think he was. "It's really you, hyung." He was confident this time when he got a closer look at the man.

Ji Hoon was smiling awkwardly. He knew that anytime he could run into someone whom he knew before he lost his memories. "Hey," he greeted.

"How are you?" he was excited to see a friend who suddenly disappeared seven years ago.

Ji Hoon recognized him yet he can't remember his name. He still has a photo with him in his old room. His room was left untouched, told his mom. His belongings before the accident were still there.

They went inside the cafe he just left a while ago. Ki Joon wanted to have a chat, and Ji Hoon gladly accepted his invite.

"What's with two drinks?" Ki Joon asked as he sat across him after taking his order.

"Ah," he remembered. "I was on my way to meet a friend." Ki Joon nodded understanding. "Anyway, I just wanted to say something first before we begin catching up."

"Go ahead."

He scratched his brows not so sure how his next words would sound to him. "Actually, seven years ago I had a terrible accident." A change of expression from Ki Joon's was obvious but he already expected that. "So you must have thought this only happens in movies..." He paused and smiled awkwardly, "but I did lose my memories."

Ki Joon's jaw dropped in disbelief. For a moment he was unresponsive but slowly he laughed. He was observing Ji Hoon's expression but he just gave him a beam that could say I-hope-I'm-joking-but-no. "You're telling me you're not lying are you?" He said in between his forced smile.

A soft nod was his only reply.

"So you're just pretending to know me?" He was still reluctant to believe.

"I recognize you from an old photo that I still have."

"You kept a photo of me?" He moved his body back subtly. He was playing around.

"Well, I can't seem to throw things that would link me to my past."

They spent few minutes catching up with each other. Ki Joon was talkative enough to share what he has become now.

"I guess, it'd be more interesting for you if I tell you how are we before than how are we now, right? You must be curious."

Ji Hoon was okay with anything but he would like for him to bring back the memories he has lost. Even if he just has to imagine it based on his friend's stories.

Ki Joon started from when they first met. Ki Joon was three years junior to him. He was famous to girls his age for his looks but he was slow in class that he was never confident, thus he was a loner. Ki Joon would not dare mingle with others and he blamed his parents for enrolling him to Seoul University where all smart pants are gathered. Some of his classmates even made fun and verbally bullied him saying he only got in because of his rich parents.

"Then you found me crying on the field. I still remember your first words to me."

"College is though..."

"...and it's up to you to be tougher or a loser," Ji Hoon chimed in exactly how Ki Joon said it.

"You remember?" He was thrilled that he might successfully trigger his memories.

Ji Hoon shook his head softly, "That's what I've always said to those who's having a hard time when I was still attending college in the US."

Ki Joon was disappointed. "But that just shows you still have it inside, you just need a little push." Suddenly someone came to his mind he knew for sure was precious to Ji Hoon. "Right! You're girlfriend!"

"Girlfriend?"

"For sure she could help you," he went serious thinking of the name.

"I don't think I want to know if it involves her," he pressed a thin smile as if refusing the idea.

Ki Joon's brow rose from what he heard. "What do you mean?"

Ji Hoon scoffed, "The first thing I remembered when I woke up was fighting with a woman. I guess it was a breakup."

A woman went inside a hospital room, she found her son sobbing painfully. "Ji Hoon, what's wrong? Does anything hurt?" The woman was about to press the button beside the hospital bed to call assistance but Ji Hoon grabbed his mother's hand preventing her from doing so.

It has been over a week since he has woken up from his surgery. His memories from recent years are blurry and incomplete. The doctor has already warned his mother that he might experience complications with his memory.

"No mom, I just remembered a painful memory."

"Well, that can't be. As far as my good memory goes, there was never a break up." He was sure of that.

Ji Hoon pondered. That was different from what his mom said. His mom clearly told him he got betrayed and dumped by his ex girlfriend. The reason he got into an accident.

"How were we before?" For the first time he found the guts to dig what happened between him and the woman he couldn't remember and for the longest time, chose to forget. Fearing the pain he would get trying to remember the painful memories with her.

"You guys we're perfect. I only got to witness your love story for short period of time but you were the happiest then."

The two of them knew each other for only a year. Their time spent was short but their bond was strong back then. Ji Hoon was an older brother figure to Ki Joon and it meant a lot to him as he was an only child.

"Do you know where she is now?"

He sighed, "The last time I've seen her was when the school year ended, few days after you suddenly disappeared. I heard she didn't even attend the graduation."

"How was she when I was gone?"

"She was lifeless, pitiful."

Ji Hoon couldn't tell what he felt. He was close to regretting purposely forgetting her just because he wasn't man enough to face painful memories that could have been just false that his mind was making. He was still 24 then. He was weaker and had traumatic accident, who could blame him?

"What's her name?"

Ki Joon felt sorry as he doesn't remember clearly. "Soo Jung? Soo Yeon? Soo Won? Something Soo in it." He sighed, "I was never close to her and everyone called her Soo Yeo Shin." He could say Ji Hoon is trying to squeeze his mind for some memories of that name. And he couldn't tell if it rang a bell, "Soo Yeosin, a mixed English pun to describe her... "So goddess." Her name was very common, maybe to differentiate her with others who share the same name; Soo Yeo Shin was used to address her."

Ji Hoon squinted. A voice of him calling that name affectionately resonated in his ears.

"Are you okay?"

Ji Hoon went back to his place without meeting Soo Won. His mind is still over his ex whose figure is still blurry.

 

* * *

 

Soo Won was nervously waiting for someone. She was meeting Ran. She did not expect and never thought this moment would ever happen. Ran rang her last night asking t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter