chapter 1

cookie jar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before you judge the current situation, there’s something you need to know.

 

Well, two things. 

 

One is, Seulgi has dated before. She’s even had a girlfriend! Sure, they broke up after three months but that’s not the point here. The point is that Seulgi has experience. 

Two, Seulgi is great with kids. She thinks. Afterall, she is the favorite “adult” of her little cousins so damn right she thinks she’s good with kids! So yes, with kids, she’s great. They love her, she loves them. But these kids in front of her? They’ve definitely got to be demons in disguise. Don’t get her wrong, these kids are absolutely adorable. But that’s the entire problem! They’re cute, but deceptive. 

The room is a lot darker and colder than she expected, the only light source coming from a lamp in front of her and the air conditioner still on full blast despite the cool spring evening. Plus, Seulgi has pretty bad eyesight in general so she hears more than sees the figures shuffling about and pulling up chairs to sit across from her. 

“So, your name is Seulgi.” 

“This is ridiculous.” 

She hears a small huff from across her. “Okay, you can go home now.” 

“No- no! I’m just kidding! Yes, my name is Seulgi. Kang Seulgi.” 

Seulgi wonders if this is what the villains in Scooby Doo feel like, tied in a chair while kids talk down to them. Well, technically Seulgi isn’t tied down, she’s just sitting on a very very small yellow chair in front of a very very tiny plastic table with her hands tied behind her back with a bandana. Wait, do kids still watch Scooby Doo? Probably not. What do kids watch nowadays anyway? Phineas and Ferb? Wait, that’s for older kids, right? Rolie Polie Ollie? Is Pororo still a thing? Maybe if Seulgi manages to survive this, she’ll get to ask the question. 

She sighs, shifting her weight on the tiny chair to prevent her from falling asleep. Why did she agree to this anyway? Oh right. She’s in love.
 

Wait.
 

Scratch that. In like. Love is too early. Especially for someone who isn’t her girlfriend. “Yet.” Seulgi thinks hopefully. But honestly right now, Seulgi isn’t feeling too confident about that ever happening either.

Maybe she should have listened to her friends after all. 

She remembers the reactions she got when she finally gathered the courage to admit to her best friends, Byulyi and Momo, about her growing crush on their classmate.

Suffice to say, their reactions were a tad over-the-top. 

Momo laughed - loudly and unabashedly - in her face, almost slipping down the stairs because she laughed so hard there were tears forming in her eyes that prevented her from seeing. Byulyil, on the other hand, just shrieked in what Seulgi assumed was excitement (or disbelief), and started running down the stairs and back up to where they were standing, before proceeding to laugh out loud. 

And yes, many people were staring. 

And yes, these idiots were her best friends.

 

“Joohyun? Top of our class Joohyun? My girlfriend’s friend, Joohyun? Goddess Joohyun? Probably gonna end up as a model AND a CEO at the same time? THAT Joohyun?” Byulyi asked when she finally managed to calm down.

“Yeah. Why is it so shocking? Everyone has a crush on her.” 

“I guess that’s true… but we know you, Seul. You’re not the type to sit back and just have a crush. You’re gonna do something about it.” Momo sighed. 

“So what? She’s single, right? And I don’t think I’m ugly. Maybe I could give it a shot.” 

Momo and Byulyi burst into laughter, possibly even harder than they did a moment ago. 

“Yah! What’s so funny?!” 

“You haven’t heard??” Momo asked her eyes wide. 

“Heard what?” 

Byulyi shook her head and patted Seulgi’s shoulder, “Do you remember how hard it was to get Solar’s parents to like me? And how hard it was for Momo to get Mina’s friends to even acknowledge her presence?” 

“Oh yeah, that sounded like hell. All those dinners, and one-on-one stuff. Gross.” Seulgi shuddered.

“Well, my dear friend, you’re in for a surprise. Those kids are demons.” 

“What? Like actual demons?”

“Are you dumb?? Of course they’re not actual demons! Byul, you, explain!” 

“You know how Joohyun has never been spotted on a date even though she’s probably asked out everyday? Well, that’s cause, Joohyun is with her baby sisters. That’s why she turns everyone down. And you know how boys can be…”

“Dumb?” Seulgi says. 

“Annoying?” Momo tries.

“I was going to say they’re persistent but yeah, those work too. Anyway, those boys didn’t understand that it meant Joohyun was actually busy and you know, shocker, having fun. So, they’d try to approach the poor girl whenever they spotted her even when the kids were there. And well… let’s just say those little ones are crazy overprotective.” 

“What? But that’s so cute.” Seulgi coos. 

“Yeah, sure, you say that now.” 

Seulgi shrugs, “I’m sure they’re exaggerating. Besides, maybe they’re just like that to the boys? Didn’t Dahyun have a huge crush on Joohyun too?” 

“Yeah but Dahyun isn’t an idiot. No girl has been dumb enough to try.” Momo answers. 

“What’s the worst that could happen? They’re kids!” Seulgi says, with a confident grin on her face. But Byulyi just rolls her eyes. “Well, Momo, I guess we have found our first idiot.” 

 

So, here she was. (And she begrudgingly admits that maybe she is an idiot.) Because what was meant to be a sweet gesture has turned into a babysitting session. Seulgi wanted to surprise Joohyun at home with some snacks to help her recharge as she studies for their upcoming exams, and to hopefully ask if she wants to study together. However, Seulgi did not factor in Seungwan, who would probably be here because not only was she also at the top of their class, but is Joohyun’s best friend and most probably her go-to study partner. And, in an ultimate rookie move, even after the warnings from her friends, Seulgi forgot to consider the kids. 

An overly dramatic fake cough interrupts her thoughts and Seulgi’s mind is brought back to her current situation.

This is ridiculous. Seulgi thinks again, careful to not make the same mistake and voice out any of her thoughts. 

“Kang Seulgi. How old are you?” 

“Uh… seventeen. How old are you?”

“Three!” a kinder and more excited voice answers.

“Yerim-ah, not now!” 

“Sorry, unnie.” (Seulgi tries her best not to find it cute, but really, who is she kidding? It’s adorable.)

“What do you want with unnie’s cookie jar?” 

“Huh? Cookie jar? I have no idea what you’re talking about.” 

The small lamp, which Seulgi is sure is meant to be used for studying and not interrogation, is now pointed straight at her. “Hey! My eyes!” 

“Don’t lie! Seungwan unnie said that’s what all of you want! You want to put your hands in unnie’s cookie jar!” 

Seulgi groans, she may need to smack Seungwan on the side of her head. Also, what shows have these kids been watching? She’s definitely going to need to talk to her not-yet-girlfriend about that one day. 

“Next question! How are your grades?” 

“Uh… I’d say they’re pretty decent.” 

“Math?” 

“I’d say a solid C+.” 

“Hmm… Unnie’s is an A+.” the light is still shining brightly on Seulgi’s face, preventing her further from looking at her interrogator, with the room filled with the scratchy sound of pencils (and maybe crayons?) on paper. “Science?” 

“Maybe a B? Wait, how is this relevant-” 

Before Seulgi can continue, salvation finally arrives as the door to the room is opened and light suddenly fills the room. “Why is it so dark- oh, What are you guys doing?” 

“Nothing, mom! Just playing detective with Seulgi unnie!” the older of her interrogators replies, flashing a sweet smile at her mom.

“Aww, that’s so cute!! But they’re almost home with dinner so come on, time to head down. Are you staying for dinner, Seulgi?” 

Seulgi can feel the twin set of glares aimed at her but she tries her best to ignore it. “Sure, Mrs. Park. I’d love to.” 

 

 

No matter how much longer Seulgi’s legs are, she somehow still manages to be a little too slow. Like seriously, can these kids teleport or something?! She’s pretty sure she gets to the first floor of the house first, but as soon as the round dining table is in sight, the two monsters zoom past her and take their places beside the still empty seat of her not-yet-girlfriend. 

Then that leaves Seulgi with two options. One, sit in between the two monsters and face their wrath, or sit beside any of the seats next to Mrs. Park which Seulgi would also rather not do. (Even if Mrs. Park is really nice, she is still the parent of the girl she really likes and would very much not like to embarrass herself, thank you very much.)

Mrs. Park, probably sensing Seulgi’s awkwardness, pats the seat beside her. “Joy, come here, let Seulgi sit beside your unnie.”

“But moooom,” Joy, the older, and Seulgi figures, the mastermind of the entire thing, starts to whine. 

“She’s our guest, Joy.” 

“But-” Joy huffs, throwing Seulgi a quick glare when her mom isn’t looking.

“It’s okay, Mrs. Park! Don’t worry about it!” Seulgi says with an awkward laugh, already grabbing the chair beside the matriarch. 

 

“Yah… Seulgi-ya. Sit next to me.”

Seulgi whips around at the voice and suddenly she remembers why she’s doing all these crazy things in the first place. Joohyun is beautiful as always but somehow, Seulgi is constantly caught off guard by it, even if she’s in her sweats, her hair up in a messy bun with a big plastic bag of takeout. 

Seulgi eyes the kids that are watching her every move from their seats and mumbles, “But Joy and Yerim-” 

“I got the drinks!” Seungwan announces as she appears behind Joohyun, quickly snatching her bags to place the takeout on the table. “Seulgi, some help?” 

After they unbox all the takeout food and Seungwan takes a seat beside Mrs. Park (how Sengwan seems completely unfazed by sitting beside a PARENT is still a mystery to Seulgi), Joohyun effortlessly scoops Yerim onto her lap with one arm (and with surprisingly zero complaints from the toddler), and pats the seat next to her with her free hand. 

“See, was that so hard?” Joohyun smirks, gently squeezing Seulgi’s arm and it takes everything in her to not combust at Joohyun’s touch.

“Thanks for picking up the food, guys.” 

“No worries, Mrs. P!” Seungwan says, with a thumbs up. “You’ve had a long day.”

“And thanks for watching over the kids, Seulgi. I’m sure that’s not what you expected when you came to study with Joohyun and Seungwan today.” 

Seungwan scoffs, “Please, she isn’t here for me.” 

“It’s no problem at all, Mrs. Park.” Seulgi says with a smile as she subtly kicks Seungwan under the table, causing the latter to almost choke on her noodles.

“Did you girls have fun with Seulgi unnie?” 

“YES!” Yerim replies, accidentally flinging her fried rice towards Seulgi. (Though, Seulgi believes Yerim really did have fun so that’s good.)

Joy flashes her mom that same extra sweet smile and looks at Seulgi with a glint in her eyes, “Yeah, mom! Seulgi unnie is the best!” 

Seulgi groans internally, she knows that extra sweet smile is fake and a part of her is already dreading whatever else is in store for her. But when she sees the look of adoration in Joohyun’s eyes as she wipes the corner of Joy’s mouth with a napkin and the little lopsided smile Joohyun gives Seulgi at hearing Joy’s words, Seulgi knows she’ll get through it all. No matter how ridiculous it gets. 

 

 

“So, did the plan work?” Byulyi asks, as she watches Seulgi stuff her books into her locker.

“Both yes and no.” 

“You’re gonna need to explain yourself there, buddy.” 

“Well, for one, we forgot that Seungwan would most probably be there, so that was a no go on the flirting and the whole ‘get-to-know-you-more’ thing. Then when I get there, Joohyun’s mom apparently just came home exhausted from work so they had to pick up dinner and I was already volunteering to go with Joohyun and Seungwan was fine with watching the kids but then the two demons started crying!” 

“Wait, why were they crying? Cause Joohyun was leaving?” 

Seulgi shrugs, “They said they didn’t want Seungwan to watch them but me!” 

“Oh, that doesn’t seem too bad then. Maybe they wanted to spend time with you.”

“Yeah, well, they interrogated me right after! Sat me down on a chair, lights off, asking questions and everything!” 

Byulyi laughs, “I’m sure they were just playing around.”

“Then during dinner, Joy managed to spill soda on me!” 

“Are you sure you didn’t accidentally knock it over?” Momo asks, “After all, you did knock over their family portrait the first time you visited.” 

“In my defense, the first time I was there, there was no way I could have expected to trip over a doll house.” 

Momo rolls her eyes, “It’s a doll house, aren’t those things gigantic?” 

“She was too busy staring at Joohyun for sure.” Byulyi comments.

“I told you, the kid spilled soda on me on purpose!!” Seulgi groans. “She pretended that she was going to hug me then knocked the soda and spilled it all over me!”

“It was a hug! At least she hugged you and didn’t stab you with a fork or something,” Byulyi taps her chin in thought, “You know, I know we said that you were in for a surprise and all but I think we were wrong! The kids are adorable! So well mannered too.” 

“Yeah! I think we accidentally made you overthink it.” 

Seulgi sighs, her two best friends were a lost cause now, having fallen into the trap of the puppy dog eyes and matching pouts. 

 

Initially, Byulyi and Momo believed the stories

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter