how to write a song

how to write a song
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was an ordinary Friday afternoon at the Kim residence where the “joyuriz” were brainstorming for their next performance at the music club’s quarterly showcase. Choi Yena, Kim Chaewon, and Jo Yuri were the three members comprising Enozi High’s most loved vocal group. 

 

Though they were in different grades, they were grouped together during the first music club assignment the first year Yuri joined the club, and ever since then the three of them became the vocal powerhouse slaying every performance. 

 

“What song should we perform?” asked the youngest member, Yuri. “We’ve sung every decent ballad ever written!” she plopped down onto the couch with a frustrated look on her face. 

 

“I don’t know either!” replied Chaewon, “We’ve been deciding for hours now, and we’re still undecided.” she buried her head into a pillow and let out a frustrated scream into it.

 

The oldest member, on the other hand, was pursing her lips in thought. “I have an idea!” she sat up and had an excited look on her face. “Why don’t we just write a song?” 

 

Chaewon and Yuri glanced at each other in thought, “That would be a good idea.” Yuri replied. “But can we write a song in two weeks?” asked Chaewon.

 

“Of course we can!” was Yena’s enthusiastic reply, “I mean, how hard can it be?” the blonde girl wasn’t aware that she just triggered Murphy’s law and damned them all. 

 

The three of them proceeded to try writing a song the rest of the afternoon, but to their frustration, they barely had any progress at all. 

 

Yuri let out a frustrated scream at the fact that they had no idea what they were doing, “Why the hell is writing a song so hard?!” she crumbled up another piece of paper and threw it to join the various crumpled paper on the floor. 

 

“It isn’t hard, you probably just .” a new voice joined them, causing the trio to turn in the direction of the front door that they didn’t even hear open. “And you guys better clean up after yourselves!” 

 

It was Kim Minjoo, otherwise known as Yuri’s best friend and Chaewon’s younger sister. Minjoo was the same age as Yuri and has known her since they were toddlers and running around wreaking havoc at their pre-school. 

 

“Just because you’re a great songwriter doesn’t mean it’s easy!” Chaewon replied, throwing a piece of paper towards her younger sister. “Why are you so annoying?” 

 

“She was born to be annoying!” Yuri agreed, “Besides, what took you so long to get home?” she asked, because even though Minjoo and her bicker every second of every day, they were still best friends and she cares about her.

 

Minjoo had a sheepish smile on her face, “Band practice was a little hectic today.” she let out a laugh, “We were practicing a new song I wrote and Eunbi-unnie was insisting on a drum solo.”

 

“Wait, that’s it!” Yena exclaimed, “Minjoo is our solution!” the three girls were confused with what Yena was saying. “She can help us write a song!” she clarified, causing Yuri and Chaewon to ah in reply.

 

“Huh?” Minjoo was still confused with everything, “What do you mean?” she could have sworn Yena just said she can help them write a song. “Help you with what?”

 

Yena stood up, grabbed Minjoo’s hand, and lead her to sit next to them on the couch. “We’ve run out of songs to sing,” She began to say with nods from the other two, “so we decided to write one instead!”

 

“The only problem is that we have no idea what we’re doing!” exclaimed Yuri whose frustration came back to her in full force. “That’s where you come in!” she turned to Minjoo and gave her an expectant look.

 

“Yeah, no.” Minjoo declined to the protests of three very desperate girls. “I have way too much on my plate to help you guys right now,” she explained. 

 

“Come on, Min!” Chaewon said, “Please help us! We’re desperate!” she begged her, which is something she rarely does, so Minjoo knows she’s very serious about her helping them.

 

“I don’t know guys…” the tallest girl began, “I don’t think I can commit even if I wanted to.” Minjoo really wanted to help them, but she was just way too busy this month.

 

“Please Minguri?” Yuri begged with a pout and puppy dog eyes, “We’ll do anything!” she exclaimed, causing Minjoo to raise an eyebrow in contemplation. “Anything?”

 

The three girls exchanged uneasy glances, but this was Minjoo they were talking about. What was the worst thing she could ask them to do? “Yup, anything.”

 

Minjoo thought to herself if helping her three friends was worth the headaches she’ll gain from working with them, but she knew she couldn’t resist them anyway.

 

“Fine, I’ll help you.” said Minjoo to the cheers of the three girls, “On one condition.” the girls’ cheers stopped and listened to the tallest girl very carefully. “What?” they asked.

 

“Yena-unnie has to go on a date with me.” 

 

“WHAT?!” the three girls were shocked when they heard Minjoo’s condition, but no one was more shocked than the duck herself. Yena

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter