---

the sun will rise (on another day)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Moon Byulyi was the greatest storm to take over cosmic chaos Kim Yongsun. Of course, Yongsun didn't know it at the time, but let's turn the gears of time back a bit.

Yongsun had a knack for breaking the rules of time; at the reminder, the time-traveler glanced at her copper pocket watch whose glass broke.

"," she cursed under her breath. Her thumb ran across the shattered ridges as she exhaled. Because of her antics, she wouldn't be able to go home for a while, at least not until she finds a way to fix her watch. Under the regulations of the timekeepers, the rebel was sure that it would take a while—at least a few weeks to months.

Oh . She had no idea what year it was. Glancing down at her 2020's clothing, she groaned. This wouldn't do. Not at all.

Where even was she? The time-traveler took in her surroundings and deduced: she was behind a bush. In a forest. A forest of which country? God knows. Yongsun put her head in her hands; this was sure to get her in trouble this time around.

A rustle was heard from nearby and she held her breath instead, preparing herself to attack, which wasn't uncommon in predicaments like these.

A pair of gentle, adoring eyes greeted her as a gloved hand parted the bush to reveal her.

"You're... a person." The stranger muttered in surprise, and Yongsun smiled awkwardly. Last she checked, that had to be right. She was at least pleased to know that she was still in South Korea.

"Thanks?" She tried to get up, and the woman, who was previously crouching, followed.

"How did... How did you get here?" This had to be some sort of weird, private property if she had to ask that.

"Well, it's a funny story really—" The time-traveler began to fumble with the buttons of her black leather jacket; the idea of time travel wasn't exactly always a welcome one. Her eyes were drawn to the lady's clothing of white lace and a wide-brimmed hat. She had a bad feeling about this; she must be in another century completely.

"Why are you dressed so strangely? How is your hair that unnatural color?" Her gloved hand reached for Yongsun's ash blonde hair and looked at it up close in fascination.

"It's called hair d—" She began, yet realized that she was being asked too many questions at once and couldn't even get an answer herself. "What year is this?"

"Why it's 1930," the woman's voice spoke with a lilt. "And you're in a private property—this is the Moon Manor, and we don't take liking to strangers wandering inside here."

Yongsun was taken aback. A manor? In the 21st century, this would be a shopping district where she broke her watch trying to turn back time after being caught shoplifting. It made sense; she was 90 years back in time, instead of 90 minutes.

"I'm sorry... I just got lost on my way to... um... yeah." She couldn't find the right words and got flustered even more with how close the woman's face was from hers. When she would intend to cause trouble in the time and space continuum, she usually knew what to do and how to interact, only this time that wasn't the case.

"Miss Moon!" A voice echoed from somewhere in the grassy estate. The woman's head turned at the call and then she looked back at Yongsun. "Just play along now, it'll be fine."

The time-traveler watched as a woman dressed in a maid outfit made her way to who presumably was Miss Moon, with a parasol in hand. The maid was exhausted as she caught up to her employer and gave her a strained smile, then lowered her head to a 90-degree bow with her hands folded across her waist.

"With all due respect, Miss, I've been looking for you everywhere. Your mother has asked for you to be summoned to her office." The smaller woman refused to straighten her posture or look at her in the eye when she spoke. But she definitely cast a second look at Yongsun, who was a strange presence. "Who is this stranger on the estate, Miss Moon?"

Miss Moon, presumably, looked to her and smiled reassuringly. "This is my new handmaiden. Jiwoo's stuff must have been cleared out by now, right?"

"And may the new handmaiden state her name and place of residence? Her credibility to be Lady Moon Byulyi's handmaiden?" Whoever this maid was, she grew hostile fast against Yongsun and that was understandable. She was dressed in clothing which was made out of material they had never seen before, in an unnatural hair color, of course she would be suspicious.

"I hardly believe that's necessary, Hayoung. You're dismissed. My new handmaiden will me back to the manor, and until then, see to it that her uniform must be delivered to the chambers across my bedroom. This is a matter of great urgency." With a wave of her hand, the maid bunched her uniform in her fists and rushed back to the manor. Byulyi faced Yongsun again and stared her down.

"How did you do that with your hair? Everyone is going to question it unless we can fix it." Her hand lifted a strand of her hair closer for inspection. Yongsun's hand forced her to slide the hair out of her grip and shook her head.

"I can't say. But what I can do is make an excuse. Shouldn't we get back to the manor first?" Confused as she was, Yongsun had to make the best out of her situation at hand. And that would be to blend in while she figured out how to get back home. Byulyi gave her a firm nod before walking slowly to wherever the manor was.

She was walking alongside the lady, who, after a while, looked at her in shock. "Are you going to continue like this?" Yongsun furrowed her eyebrows. "You cannot walk beside the Moon family. You can only walk behind us. It's not how I would like it to be, but that's how it is around here."

"Oh, sorry. Should... Should I bow in apology?" Reluctantly, Yongsun hung her head, but not as much as the previous girl did.

Byulyi laughed, still with elegance. And Yongsun found it ridiculous how different times were. "Yes, normally it's lower than that. But I'll let you off the hook since it's just the two of us."

Yongsun had never travelled back this far before, because she never found a need to. Nor did she want to. She simply had no choice as of the moment. She was only lucky enough to stumble upon someone who wouldn't have a weapon ready against her temple or throat.

The grass under their feet sank with each step and Yongsun took her time to slow down, to take in her surroundings. Certainly, there were no other people for miles away because there was only greenery no matter where she looked. There were small houses that looked like they were shrines and then ponds. She almost shrunk at how extravagantly wealthy the Moon family must be.

It was thirty minutes maybe, if Yongsun still had a good grasp on time as she always did, when they reached the manor proper. Byulyi turned to her and spoke, "These clothes... are very questionable. You're an odd character, so let's be quick. You can get acquainted with the manor after we fix you up."

Yongsun could only nod, but Byulyi grabbed her by the wrist and they ran up to her room. As she had told Hayoung a while ago, there laid a clean uniform for her by the doorway. "If you hear this ring, knock and then come into my room. I'll give you ample time to change and tie your hair up."

The time-traveler gave her a proper bow and the lady disappeared into her room. Yongsun struggled to dress herself in the 1930s uniform with how many layers were needed, as with her hair that was barely long enough to be tied up into a ponytail. She started to string along a couple of curses as she faced the mirror, attempting to do even just one of the simple tasks. Blending in would be essential to her survival here, at least until she figured out how to fix her watch.

She flailed her arms to her sides and decided this was as good as she could do. At the same time, there was the sound of a bell ringing and Yongsun rushed to the call. She knocked twice before opening the door where Byulyi was sat at the desk by her window.

"Oh, that's not how." Byulyi immediately expressed her distaste at Yongsun's attempt to fix her hair. She motioned for the time-traveler to replace where she was seated when she stood up and Yongsun followed suit. The lady undid her hair and started to weave the strands of her hair into a tight braid without it feeling like so.

"Why are you helping me?" Yongsun tried to make conversation while she stared out the window and Byulyi chuckled.

"You looked like a baby bird whose wings broke. I can tell you needed it and I don't suspect you have any firearms or weapons that could endanger anyone in the manor, do you?" The lady of the house raised a suspicious eyebrow but Yongsun knew deep down that she was only teasing.

"Why would I?" Byulyi patted down her hair to signal that she was done braiding.

"You're in a property that's over a hundred hectares wide in total. And you're about to closely serve the only woman left in the bloodline." She told Yongsun like it was no big deal, but the time-traveler looked at her in awe. "Do you really not know of the Moons?"

"Well, should I?" Yongsun skipped classes a lot when she was still in school and if the Moons were as influential as Byulyi was saying, she probably missed it some time then.

"We're really the only leading family for literature in Korea and Japan. So I think you might've heard of the Moons. Not to put myself on a pedestal, of course."

"Moon is a pretty common last name where I'm from, so that can make up for it." She wasn't lying, even though it was one of her common habits. In 2020, Moon would be a family name as common as any.

"Oh? Really now?" The more Yongsun talked about herself, the more Byulyi found herself interested to get to know where she was really from. Not that it would make sense when Yongsun said it out loud. Byulyi had never heard of any other Moon that wasn't currently living in the manor. Yongsun nodded in response to her question and then stood from where she sat.

"Does my service to Miss Moon start by answering all the questions about myself?" She teased, but Byulyi's eyes shone in wonder, so, a yes. 

"Would you?" Yongsun laughed but shook her head no. Some things were better kept a secret, especially considering she could further damage this timeline if she said anything more. Byulyi's shoulders slumped at the rejection but then huffed. 

"That's fine. I'll find out one way or another." At the time, Yongsun didn't know it to be true and only shook it off as a hopeful wish from Byulyi. 

The working environment in the Moon manor was more hectic than Yongsun thought and she mentally thanked the stars that she coincidentally managed to land one of the easier jobs compared to the house maids. She shuddered to think of herself cleaning any part of the hundred-hectare estate; it had to be a nightmare to clean a house this big. 

The others would always look her way with shooting daggers, scornful looks on their faces. Yongsun understood why; even in the present year, she normally wasn't greeted with kindness.

 It was the start of spring, April. A week or two has passed, Yongsun couldn't tell at this point when her days were routine by now. She was slowly getting used to how to get by in this time. Slowly was the key word. 

Yongsun stood by the open doors and craned her neck to spot where her lady was. The manor was especially creepy in the evenings and the time-traveler shivered. Byulyi usually wouldn't go without her and Yongsun feared that something would happen to her and she would have to catch the blame herself.

A maid approached her and spoke, "If you're looking for the miss, she's going to be uphill." Yongsun quirked an eyebrow at the strange statement. What would Byulyi be doing there? Maybe this was an intricate plan to fool her, but her feet led the way there.

"Hayoung said I would find you here." The layers of Yongsun's clothes added to her sluggish movements up the hill where Byulyi was watching the moon and didn't even pay any mind to her.

She sat beside the lady in silence and only then did she turn to look at Yongsun. "What do you think?"

"I beg your pardon?" The time-traveler leaned forward to understand but Byulyi giggled.

"How the moon looks from up here." Yongsun held her tongue, expectant of what she would say next. "I go here every once in a while. It's nothing new to the older employees."

"Why not look at it from your bedroom?" She asked, her palms folded on her lap. Byulyi looked up at the sky again, her eyes filled with a thousand little galaxies.

"You know how I'm the only woman left in the bloodline?" Yongsun nodded in hesitation. She didn't know where this conversation was going. "When I was 10, my aunt went missing. The maids spread rumors that she went crazy from writing all of those novels. Said genius couldn't co-exist without madness. That she jumped from here when she reached her breaking point."

"Do you think the same?"

"No. I would be long gone if that was true. I've been writing literature since I learned how to."

"And how old was that?"

"Eight. If only women in print aren't seen as nuisances and mad, I would've had my name in publication a long time ago." Byulyi looked like she regret not allowing herself to do so when she avoided Yongsun's gaze. "You haven't answered my question yet."

"It looks way better than where I'm from. You can really see the stars." Yongsun's eyes were glued to Byulyi's features that were radiated by the moonlight, and she could tell that Byulyi was born on a starry evening to earn the name.

"You aren't even looking." Byulyi held her gaze, a suspicious eyebrow raised at Yongsun.

"I don't have to look to know." The time-traveler leaned closer to her and the lady's face was instantly red with panic, almost falling on her back when she tried to dodge.

"You're the most awful, god-forsaken flirt I know." Byulyi blabbered, the heat rising to her face, making Yongsun chuckle.

"Then why are you blushing, Miss Moon?" Teasingly, Yongsun pinched her cheek but Byulyi already had her eyes shut in her state. "I'm just kidding. You can open your eyes now. You're going to miss the view."

Instantly relieved, a sigh left Byulyi's lips and she looked back at the sky before she reached for the journal flat against the grass beside her. Yongsun watched her in silence as she began to scribble down what she assumed was poetry. 

It was ironic, she thought, that the head of the house treated her better than her workers. Her situation was almost a blessing in disguise, and Byulyi made it a thousand times more bearable for her. Maybe it wasn't so bad here. 

But she would still like to go home. Yongsun glanced at the lady from her peripheral vision. Or maybe she would think about it. She had time aplenty to do so, until her watch could be fixed. For now, she wanted to keep looking at the moon, to keep admiring Byulyi. From afar would not be so bad. Yongsun had a lengthy history of being selfish but... this was enough. 

The morning she woke up, Byulyi was already sat across her desk, writing letters and inserting them into wax-sealed envelopes. 

"Do you suppose we can go on a walk after I do this? Painting landscapes would be nice for the weather today." Byulyi was still occupied with her writing, but she cast a dreamy look at the clear skies. 

"Of course, Miss. Do you mind if I ask what you're doing?" Yongsun peeped at the contents of her desk but couldn't understand any of the handwriting. Not that it was ugly, just in a different language. 

"Not at all. They're letters to nobility, the elite about our literary publication for this year. It's in Japanese, that's why you can't read it." The time-traveler waited for her to continue and Byulyi smiled, reaching for a scratch piece of paper. "See, here. That means, 'the moon is beautiful, isn't it?'." Byulyi wrote the Japanese letters with such grace that left Yongsun in awe. She watched over her shoulder and the lady turned to look at her, a short distance between their faces.

Yongsun held her breath and looked deep into her eyes before speaking. "Yes, she really is."

"Oh come on, you're being ridiculous now." Byulyi immediately shifted her gaze to something else in the room and fidgeted with the pen she was holding. Yongsun picked up on the change in her actions; how she fiddled with the collar of her blouse, her cheeks glowing red, and how she was looking at nothing at all. The handmaiden had to laugh at her lady being coy. Of course there was a stark difference from their generations, but there was no denying that there was a budding romance between them.

This was true enough for the other maids to be creating baseless rumors against the two of them. Their target was mostly Yongsun, the eccentric, rebellious Yongsun. But she's dealt with worse, and Byulyi was the only person that didn't make her feel like she wasn't an outsider in the Moon Manor.

Byulyi finished the last of the letters and looked at her. "We can go, now. I'll wait for you out the parlor to fetch the paints and canvas. You can paint alongside me if you wanted." Yongsun nodded and then bowed before she rushed down to the parlor, doing exactly as she was told. 

These kinds of tasks made the job less easy than Yongsun hoped, but she was provided with a safe place to stay and good meals. Time spent with Byulyi wasn't so bad either. Yongsun then learned that Byulyi's favorite place to be was up the hill. Since that night, Byulyi would always ask to go and paint, to go and write, to go, just to look. Yongsun couldn't refuse her no matter how fatigued her body felt, because of how she would say please. How Byulyi's face instantly lit up when she agreed. 

Yongsun didn't want to admit it, but perhaps Byulyi did have her soft spot. As they reached the hilltop, the time-traveler set down the easel and canvas for her lady. She then laid down on the grass and reached inside her apron for her journal. Painting landscapes was one of the only things Byulyi did without anyone asking her of it, while Yongsun shared the same sentiment with drawing. 

The two of them spent entire afternoons; Byulyi painting the same landscape with the changing weather, and Yongsun, without her lady's knowledge, drew her different expressions, varying stances while she painted. Her face flushed at the thought of Byulyi ever finding out what she busied herself with at these times. Well, Byulyi never had to know.

One week turned into four, then three months passed like they were nothing. Time was indeed a concept made by man, Yongsun concluded in her time here. July was Korea's rainy season, and the nights were often never quiet during this month. 

The Moon Manor suffered their first thunderstorm this year when the whole estate out of electricity. Yongsun couldn't be bothered to wake up, until she heard the panicked rings of the bell in the hallway. 

Byulyi was calling. Groggily, she awoke and went inside where Byulyi was covered in her blankets. "Is something wrong, Miss?" Rubbing at her eyes, Yongsun bit back a yawn. What time was it and why was Byulyi still awake?

"Come inside of here. I'll tell you." Byulyi's voice was broken, like she had been crying all this time. Yongsun dragged herself to the bed and pulled the covers over her head. Even in the dim lighting, Byulyi's radiant features shone through. 

"I'm afraid."

"Of what, Miss?"

"Stop it." Byulyi's eyes were glossed with tears and she furrowed her eyebrows. She exhaled sharply and stared at Yongsun. "You can call me Byulyi from here on. It's tiring to have to listen to everyone call me by a honorific. I believe you and I are just the same."

Yongsun knew that to be false; Byulyi was far too kind, too beautiful, for her cursed, wretched soul to even hope that they could ever be on the same level.  "That. It's a storm."

"Why are you afraid, M—Byulyi?" The handmaiden caught the slip-up. It would have to take some time to get used to. And if the others ever heard her call the miss by only her first name, she would be burned at the stake. 

"There was a storm that night before she went missing." Yongsun frowned at what she said. Byulyi her lips and then closed her eyes. "Sometimes I'm afraid the storm has swept her away from here. That I'm going to be swept away, too."

She wasn't sure whether it was appropriate or not, but Yongsun reached for her cheek and gave gentle . "I'll keep you on the ground then. I'll stay if that's worth any comfort." 

"Yes, it is. It means a lot." Byulyi's smile faltered, but she still tried to, for Yongsun. "Tell me more, please."

"It's beautiful here. The sun gives me a lot of strength whenever I wake up to it. While the moon can only radiate comfort." Yongsun whispered, her hand still on Byulyi's cheek. 

"Do you not think we're like the sun and moon?" Her eyes fluttered open only to share eye contact. 

"Not until you said it. How?"

"Why? Do I not comfort you?" It was a joke and Yongsun could tell that much, but she still shied at the sudden confrontation. 

"I mean, of course you do. You're kindness personified." Byulyi nodded in agreement. 

"And you're the sun as a person. You bring happiness wherever you go, lending energy and strength. Which is honestly, admirable. Envious, to a degree, if I keep with being honest." The lady said. 

"Then are you saying that I'm your sun and you're my moon?" The proposal was silly, and Yongsun only half-meant it. Byulyi knew this too, and laughed, finally. 

"Yes. That's exactly it." Her eyes twinkled in the darkness and the rain stopped outside. The two of them held the silence before Yongsun spoke.

"It's not raining anymore. Do you want me to stay?" 

"Don't even think about leaving my side. Stay." Byulyi held her arm and Yongsun bit down on her bottom lip. "Please, my sun."

She would've stayed too, even if Byulyi had not called her that. But Yongsun could've melted onto the bed then and there when she said it with a softness that she could only keep in her heart forever. 

"Okay, my moon," she told her back. Had they always been this close? Yongsun thought when she stared at Byulyi's face and blushed. The heat rose even quicker to her cheeks when she saw Byulyi's eyes flicker to her lips. Oh God, when was the last time she kissed a girl? Or anyone for that matter? She started to panic mentally, and prayed that she would not mess this up for the love of God. Not when it mattered this much to her. 

Yongsun's thoughts were still racing when Byulyi asked, "Isn't this when we kiss?" 

"Yes, normally." Yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter