it was always going to be you

it was always going to be you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today was the day Sakura has been dreading the most ever since she was informed that on her 23rd birthday she would be obliged to find a partner to marry to help her rule their kingdom.

 

See, Miyawaki Sakura was a princess, the firstborn daughter of the current king and heir to the throne. The pressure on her shoulders was heavy and the burden of being the future ruler of their kingdom echoes in her mind every second of every day. 

 

Sakura had two siblings, two younger sisters who were twins. She adored them with everything she had, and she knew there would be nothing on this planet that she wouldn’t be willing to do for her younger siblings.

 

A knock on the door interrupted her thoughts, “Unnie? Are you awake?” The soft voice of her younger sister Hitomi filled her ears. “Is she awake yet?” the other half of the twin princesses, Nako asked.

 

“I’m awake.” Sakura replied, “The two of you can come in.” The door opened and her younger sisters came inside her room.

 

“Happy birthday unnie!” the twins chorused out with smiles on their faces and eyes full of fondness. “You’re so old now!” 

 

“Yah! I’m not that old yet! I’m only 23!” Sakura was slightly offended that she was already being called old, but then again her younger sisters have always called her old just because they had a three-year age difference.

 

The smiles on her younger sisters’ faces slightly dimmed down, “Today is the day huh?” Hitomi asked her, “How do you feel?” Nako followed up.

 

“I’m scared,” Sakura replied, “Finding someone to marry that could help me rule the kingdom is a huge burden.” She wrapped her arms around herself and buried her head in her knees. “I don’t want to end up marrying someone I’ll end up hating.” 

 

Hitomi and Nako immediately rushed to their older sister’s side and wrapped their arms around either side of her. “Don’t be scared unnie--” “--we’ll be right beside you the entire time.” 

 

Before Sakura could have a full-blown mental breakdown, a handmaiden knocked on the door and informed them that their mother, the queen, has requested all of them to start getting ready because the guests will be arriving soon. 

 

“Well…” the firstborn started, “Here goes nothing.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“On your left!” Minjoo glanced at her left side and intercepted the blade slashing towards her. “Up!” She screamed at her fellow knight, causing Yujin to go down into a crouch in preparation. “Ready, unnie!”

 

She ran towards her crouched-down teammate and jumped onto her back, lifting her into the air. Twisting her body around she landed onto their opponent’s back and flipped them down to the ground. 

 

The sound of clapping caught her attention, making her turn in the direction of the sound. “Good job!” It was their captain, Eunbi. “I knew recruiting you two early would come in handy.”

 

“We told you we were the best at the academy,” said Yujin, chest puffed out in pride. “The two of us were always number one and two in the ranks!” 

 

Minjoo just rolled her eyes and gave a fond smile in reply to Yujin’s confidence in the two of them. She wasn’t wrong though, ever since they entered the academy the two of them always topped the ranks.

 

“Alright, that’s enough training for now.” said the assistant captain, Lee Chaeyeon. “We have to get ready to attend Princess Sakura’s birthday ball later.” 

 

Hearing this cause the two recruits to frown in reply, “Do we really need to go unnie?” asked Yujin with a pout. “It’s gonna be so boring being surrounded by old, rich people,” added Minjoo.

 

“Yah Kim Minjoo! If you think you’re gonna ditch me after we promised Nako and Tomi that we’re going then you got another thing coming!” answered Minjoo’s best friend, Jo Yuri, the official apprentice of their unit’s healer. 

 

Minjoo and Yuri grew up together with the two younger princesses because their fathers were part of the king’s council. The four of them were like four puzzle pieces that fit together and everyone knew just how close they were with each other.

 

“Right, I forgot we promised them,” replied Minjoo with a deep sigh at the fact that she had to dress up and act all prim and proper for the entire duration of the party.

 

“Cheer up kids! At least we don’t have to wear ball gowns.” said Chaeyeon cheerfully, “Knights are required to wear our formal suits just in case we need to fight or something.” 

 

Brightening up at the fact that she won’t be forced to wear uncomfortable clothes, Minjoo thanked the heavens that she decided to choose to be a knight instead of following in her father’s footsteps and train to be a royal advisor like her older sister Chaewon. 

 

“Come on then! Let’s go get ready,” said Eunbi beckoning everyone to stand up and get on with it. 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Sakura arrived at the doors of the main ballroom where her birthday celebration was being held. Butterflies fluttered around her stomach and flowers were filling up her lungs. Tonight was one of the most important moments of her life.

 

Taking a deep breath, she slowly pushed open the doors and stepped into the beautifully decorated room. The entire hall was decorated with pink flowers and white accents giving it a feeling of spring. 

 

Everyone’s eyes were on her, judging her every move. The people in this room all knew the significance of this birthday celebration and all of them were in their best behavior as if it would change her impressions of them. 

 

Nevertheless, she was the princess, so she bowed politely and thanked everyone who approached and greeted her just like a good princess should. As much as it sounds rude to say, but Sakura honestly hated about 95% of her guests, ironic considering she was supposed to find someone to marry tonight. 

 

Her father and mother beckoned her over and started introducing her to the different nobles and their children who were all hoping that Sakura would choose to marry their family and elevate their status.

 

Sakura sighed and place the most convinc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter