Four

The Fortune Teller
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The cloaked woman's gaze landed on Minjeong.

And began.

Jimin felt her phone vibrate in her right pocket. She quickly took it out, thinking that Yizhuo must have updated her on their whereabouts. Jimin glanced at the fortune teller, then to Minjeong with an apologetic smile on her face. "It's mom, I gotta take this. I forgot to tell her about tonight's festival. You go on first."

"Oh okay."

The raven-haired girl quickly stood up and stepped out, holding the phone to her ear. Minjeong's eyes landed back on the fortune teller wearing a maroon cloak who didn't seem fazed at all with Jimin leaving.

It was really dark inside, and only the fortune teller's eyes were familiar, yet foreign. Maybe it was because the other person now knows something about her that even Minjeong didn't know as of now. She knew it was nonsense to be feeling nervous, but it was her first time, after all.

"A perfectionist."

Minjeong snapped out of her trance.

"Always waiting for the perfect moment, instead of grabbing the moment and making it perfect." The blonde shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

"Your dark history will repeat itself. Tone those calculations down."

Just then, the dark curtains were swept to the side, allowing at least a bit more light to enter the cramped dark place. Jimin sported a small smile as she silently made her way back to sit beside Minjeong. 

"Are you okay?" She noticed her friend's frozen stature beside her.

"Y-yeah..." 

Jimin's attention suddenly shifted to the cloaked person who just turned towards her.

"And as for you, you love to jump to conclusions and ahead of yourself. Doing so, your actions are gonna cost you a chance of a lifetime."

The fortune teller's fingers wiggled as her eyes squinted into the shiny crystal ball in front of her.

 

-

 

"Hey, do you wanna hang out at the cafe again today?" Jimin asked, suddenly craving for the coffee caramel they once had when they discovered the newly-opened cafe just around the corner last month.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Jimin. I already have plans with Yizhuo today."

"Oh okay. Some other time, then?"

"Sure. Some other time."

 

-

 

Ice cream. 

Jimin was craving for ice cream. 

She didn't know why she was craving for it today, of all days, when it was raining so hard that she could barely see anything clearly outside the school's window. Regardless, a craving is a craving, and she knows she won't be satisfied until she gets it.

Her eyes automatically landed on the blonde-haired girl currently fixing her things.

"You go on ahead at the parking lot. I'll just stop by the office real quick to grab some files." Jimin heard Minjeong say as she approached her.

"Hey Minjeong."

The blonde looked up from stuffing her things inside her bag.

"Hi there, Jimin."

"Wanna go grab ice cream with me?"

Minjeong's mouth opened and closed. "Gee, I'd love to, Jimin..."

The taller girl smiled, excited for how their afternoon will be.

"... but I promised Yizhuo we would go to the mall today." She noticed how Jimin's smile quickly turned into a frown. "Do you wanna come with us? We can get ice cream after."

"Ah, no no..." Jimin quickly shook her head. "It's you two's bonding time together, you should enjoy it with just the two of you. "

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I'm not craving it that much anyway, plus, it's raining so hard." Jimin shrugged, lying through her teeth. 

"Okay then. Ice cream next time then?" 

"Sure. Next time."

Minjeong smiled as she slung her backpack on her shoulder and waved goodbye. Jimin dropped her waving hand, and her smile, as soon as the blonde was out of sight. She sighed.

"I'll go grab ice cream with you." 

Jimin jumped in surprise when she suddenly heard a voice just behind her right shoulder.

"Aeri! You startled me!"

The other girl merely laughed at her reaction when the surprised girl slapped her shoulder.

"You don't have to."

"Oh come on, we both know you're craving for it right now. Plus, it looks like you badly need to eat your comfort food right now. You just got turned down."

"Oh shut up, Aeri. She had plans with Yizhuo today."

"Okay okay, chill. Now let's go get some ice cream."

 

-

 

Jimin was a bit early today. A quick glance on the chair next to her was enough to conclude that Aeri still hasn't arrived. Her eyes shot up to the chair on the other side of the room. Minjeong's bag is already on her chair, but the said girl was nowhere to be found. So was Yizhuo, who was supposed to be seated next to her. Jimin shrugged it off, getting up to use the restroom before their professor arrived. 

The tall girl stopped in her tracks just as she was about to turn around the corner. Her head snapped back towards the loud shriek. Jimin knew who it belonged to. On the other side of the hall, she could make out Yizhuo with her hands covering , in front of a flustered Minjeong who was currently rubbing the back of  her nape.

Her best friend's scream surely attracted a bunch of students around them, checking to see what was going on. 

"Aeri unnie!!" Yizhuo jogged towards the the girl who has just arrived, looking as equally confused as everyone else surrounding them. Jimin watched as the shorter girl tiptoed to whisper something in her ear.

Aeri's eyes widened, and a gasp escaped her lips. She tried her best to muffle a squeal as well, in which she failed horribly. Aeri's dolphin scream pierced through everyone's ears as she and Yizhuo slapped each other's shoulders repeatedly. After that, Aeri turned over to Minjeong.

"Seriously??"

"Yeah.." The blonde shyly answered before meeting Yizhuo's eyes again.

Yizhuo nodded ecstaticly before she ran towards Minjeong and engulfed her in a hug, which the latter happily reciprocated. The small crowd that gathered around them began clapping, and it was when something clicked inside Jimin's mind.

D-did she just...?

The air suddenly felt too thick for her to inhale. Jimin placed her hand on the wall, steadying herself. She quickly hid herself behind the lockers before anyone noticed how horrified she was.

Jimin took a deep beath.

"Congratulations, Minjeong!", she heard from a distance. Jimin couldn't take it anymore. She ran while turning around the corner, wanting to get away as far as possible. A cold splash of water on her face sounds like a dream plan.

Jimin wasn't looking at where she was going, causing her to bump into another student. She quickly apologized and looked up, internally cursing when what greeted her was the face of someone she has been trying to avoid spending alone time with for weeks.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry for bumping into you, Jaehyun. I wasn't looking where I was going."

"It's okay."

She nodded, and was about to walk past him, when the latter quickly blocked her way.

"Ah Jimin, actually... there's something I wanted to speak with you about."

Jimin quietly sighed. "Can't we talk about it some other time?" She wasn't really in the mood to speak.

"We could, but this is the only time I've managed to actually get the chance to talk to you face to face. I've been trying to get to you the past days and weeks but somehow you're always surrounded by people or are always dashing out of the classroom immediately as soon as classes ended that I almost thought you were trying to avoid me." Jaehyun laughed.

She tried her best not to roll her eyes.

"Anyway, what I wanted to talk to you about was regarding what was written on those crumpled papers I kept on throwing at you a few weeks back. I'm sorry for that by the way." Jimin's fists clenched behind her back, suddenly being forced to recall the time Minjeong was forced to switch seats with Aeri when she did nothing wrong at all.

There was little to no time for Jimin to even dwell on the past as Jaehyun continued, "Will you go to prom with me?"

"Huh?" It broke her trance, causing her to look up at him. He had a shy smile on his face, his weight shifting from one foot to the other.

"That was what was written on the paper the professor has read, and uh... that's actually w-what I wanted to talk to you about. Do you have a prom date already?"

Jimin swallowed the lump in . She didn't want to deal with any of this right now.

"No.", she managed to force out.

Jaehyun looked delighted with Jimin's response, unconsciously straightening his back after regaining his confidence. "Then, will you go to prom with me?" 

A pause.

Jaehyun decided to fill in the silence as to not make things too awkward. "You know, I just passed by the hall earlier, and I heard Minjeong ask Yizhuo to be her--"

"Yes."

"W-what?"

"Yes, I'll go to prom with you."

"R-really? That's great! I--"

Jimin didn't even let the guy finish, dashing past him and finally succeeding in getting to the restroom. She went straight for the last cubicle and locked herself inside. 

If she were to be very honest, she didn't want to go to prom with Jaehyun. She has just suddenly blurted it out loud because she panicked. Jaehyun was about to say something that will confirm what she's been trying to get away from in the first place, and Jimin didn't need anyone else to do that for her.

She could feel tears threatening to spill from the back of her eyes. Jimin knew she could come undone right at this very moment if she allowed herself to, but the ringing of the bell signaling that classes were about to start distracted her enough to push all her tears back.

Maybe later.

Jimin took a few deep breaths to compose herself before she unlocked the stall and stepped out. She turned the faucet on and splashed water on her face multiple times, just like what she had initially planned on doing from the start. The feeling of the cold water hitting her skin was amazing in cooling her face, but she hoped it could also wash away the burning sensation inside her heart. The second bell rang, so Jimin turned the tap off  and wiped her face with her palms. She headed back soon after for she knew that if she arrived later than the third bell, she would already be marked tardy.

The students were already on their seats when she arrived. She kept her head down as she made her away towards her seat, not even daring to even glance once at the blonde's direction. 

"Good morning, Jimin." Aeri turned towards her with a smile as soon as her seatmate has settled on her seat.

"Hey Aeri."

Aeri's eyebrows shot up as soon as they landed on her face. "Why is your face drenched?"

"I just splashed water on my face. I was feeling hot." Jimin kept her head facing front.

"Oh okay." 

Silence.

"You sure took your time inside the restroom though. Are you okay?"

No. I am far from okay. But of course, Jimin didn't say that. 

"Of course.", she let out at the same time their professor has entered the room. 

-

Five minutes before the time, Jimin was already fixing her things discreetly, as to not alarm the professor. So as soon as the bell rang, and the professor has already dismissed them, nothing could have stopped Jimin from bolting out the room.

She didn't bother exchanging goodbyes with Aeri or with anyone else. Even the students who waved at her from the front seats of the room were completely ignored. Jimin thought she even heard someone calling out her name, which she assumed was Aeri, but didn't bother to turn around and check. She didn't even bother waiting for Yizhuo to fix her things so they could go home together, or even tell her she would be out the room before she could even sing the first line of her favorite Beyonce song.

Jimin was already near the gate when she felt her phone vibrate inside her pocket. Her first instinct was to ignore it, of course. But the incessant vibrating irritated her, making her dig her hands inside to silence it. 

She didn't.

[[ Minjeong calling...]]

Abruptly stopping on her tracks, Jimin stared at her phone screen, contemplating on what the best thing to do would be. She sighed.

it.

 

"Hello?"

"Hello Jimin." The tall girl had to steady herself, as the blonde girl's voice alone was enough to make her knees wobble and weak. And she hated that.

"Y-yes?"

"Sorry for calling out of the blue, it's just that when classes ended and I turned to look at you, you weren't there anymore. I asked Aeri, and she said you were already bolting out of the room before she could even say goodbye."

"Ahh."

"Anyway, do you wanna get some ice cream today?"

"Maybe I'll pass for today."

"Why?"

Jimin bit her lip. She had no reason to decline on a regular basis.

"My mom told me to go home early, and she said she'll cook dinner so I don't wanna be full."

"Oh okay. Can we meet somewhere in the SM Garden instead?"

"I have to get home early."

"It won't take long, I promise. You'd be home before the sun's down."

"Minjeong--"

"I have something important to tell you. Please?"

Jimin closed her eyes, and her grip on her phone tightened. Just a few minutes.

"Okay."

"Great! I'll meet you there in five minutes."

 

-

 

"It's been a while since we last hung out like this, huh?" The two girls sat on the bench surrounded by various plants, trees, and flowers.

"Yeah."

"Thanks for agreeing to meet me here, Jimin." Minjeong said as she turned her body to face the other girl properly. "Remember when I was the one in charge to tour you guys around on your first day here?"

A smile made its way to Jimin's lips. "Of course. I could never forget that.

There was a brief silence that followed, and Jimin took this time to observe the lovely carnation flowers she adored on the very first day in this university.

"Jimin, there's something I wanna say." Something in Minjeong's tone got Jimin nervous all of a sudden. She could feel something in the pit of her stomach, almost the same as how she felt that morning. "Earlier, I.... asked...." Winter unconsciously started swinging her legs as she averted her gaze. I mean, earlier, Yizhuo... I..."

Upon hearing her best friend's name from the blonde's mouth, Jimin suddenly found it hard to breathe. It was as if a boa was constricting her neck. She was trying her best to suppress thinking about what she witnessed and heard earlier this morning, but if she were to hear it directly coming from Minjeong...

"This morning I was..." Minjeong took a deep breath to compose herself. "Okay, sorry. I just wanna ask if--"

"Whatever it is you're gonna say, I already know it, and I don't wanna hear it." The burning sensation from the back of her eyes resurfaced. Jimin knew she had to hold it all in, at least until she made it home.

"Huh?" Minjeong turned her head towards the other girl, who was facing straight ahead.

"If you want my approval, I refuse. I don't know why you never took any hint because as far as I'm concerned, I've been very obvious about it to you. But just for the record though.... no. I just would like you to know that it's a no."

"Jimin--"

"It's a no." She faced the other way, hastily wiping the tears she tried so hard to hold in her brown orbs but failed. "But it's not like it's gonna change anything." Jimin muttered under her breath. "And don't worry because I already accepted Jaehyun's proposal to be my prom date. So there, my childhood dream has come true."

Feeling her resolve slowly crumble, she abruptly stood up and took her bag, briskly walking away from the blonde-haired girl who meant the world to her.

 

-

 

Jimin couldn't hold her tears back anymore as soon as she had entered her room, not forgetting to lock the door in the process. Seeking the warmth and comfort of her yellow chick blanket, she wrapped herself with it as she finally allowed her tears to flow freely. Jimin wanted to hate Yizhuo, but she couldn't. Yizhuo was a sweet, kind, bubbly, cheerful, talented, and beautiful girl- almost a complete opposite of who she was. No wonder Minjeong fell for Yizhuo. Of course she's gonna fall for Yizhuo rather than her.

It wasn't supposed to hurt that much, Jimin knew. Last time she checked, it was just a simple happy crush. But the pain she's feeling right now is a clear indication that she was already way past just a happy crush. She's in too deep. 

The universe knows how many students confessed to Jimin, and how many students she turned down the past few weeks when they asked her out to prom. Deep inside, she was hoping that a certain blonde-haired girl would make her childhood dream feel like a fairytale. But of course, life wasn't a fairytale. Minjeong didn't ask her to go to prom with her, and the fact that she asked her best friend instead was just way too painful. Maybe she was too greedy, Jimin thought. But what could she have done if she only wanted one specific person to do what everyone else were doing?

Jimin knew that she shouldn't have expected that much. Minjeong was just naturally nice to everyone. She was the one who fell. hard. She wished everyone else didn't start teasing them that they looked and acted like a couple. Even though she didn't want to admit it, it did spark a tiny bit hope in Jimin that maybe, just maybe, Minjeong felt the same.

She shouldn't have allowed herself to fall in love with such a beautiful, kind, talented, and hardworking person.

A model student.

An ideal person. 

Tomorrow was Saturday. It was prom night, yet Jimin couldn't bring it in herself to consider stopping her tears. She didn't even care if her eyes will be all puffy and swollen tomorrow. Suddenly, prom wasn't such an exciting event to look forward to anymore.

prom.

 

-

 

The day before the prom passed by like a blur. Apparently, she received a lot of messages from Jaehyun the previous night, asking her about her address so he could pick her up. Jimin felt bad about her actions the previous day, feeling guilty that she even accepted his proposal of being her date for the prom. She just politely denied his offer to take her to prom, and told him to instead just meet in the venue.

The place was packed with a lot of people, all clothed in their best gowns and suits. It was exactly like how Jimin pictured it to be, just like in all the movies and dramas she have watched in the past, but somehow, she still felt empty.

 Jimin felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around and saw Jaehyun. If Jimin were to be honest, he did look really handsome tonight with the way his hair was styled neatly.

"Hi Jimin. You look beautiful tonight."

"Thanks."

Many people were whispering to themselves how lucky Jaehyun was to be the one the Yoo Jimin said yes to in being her prom date. If only they knew how much she almost didn't want to attend.

Even if Jimin tried, she couldn't help but scan around. It was as if her eyes had a life of their own, desperately still trying to search for a familiar blonde-haired girl, as if she didn't just cry her heart out for getting her heart broken last night. 

"Let's go?" Jaehyun offered his arm, in which she accepted. 

They served the dinner almost immediately, and Jimin was getting annoyed at how childish Jaehyun was behaving tonight. He kept boasting at how much chicken, beef, lamb, and juice he could finish that night. Jaehyun had to excuse himself not long after to head to the restroom. Jimin wasn't even surprised at that point.

By the time everyone has finished their dinner, the music started to turn up, and the dancefloor was officially opened to everyone. The room was filled with cheers and applauses from everyone itching to finally dance.

With Jaehyun probably locking himself in the restroom doing who knows what, people kept glancing at her direction, probably gathering the courage to ask her for a dance. Jimin wanted none of that tonight, so she stood up and decided to just get another glass of juice. She leaned on the table filled with drinks, nursing her glass while watching everyone dance. 

Jimin grew bored after a while, her glass long been empty. She placed it back on the table, along with the several other used glasses.

"Jimin unnie?"

The tall girl immediately turned around after she was startled by the sudden presence of another human being. Her pupils dilated as she tried her hardest to force a smile out.

"Yizhuo."

The shorter girl smiled.

"Waah, unnie, you're so gorgeous!"

"Thanks. You look so pretty as well."

"Thank you! Oh by the way, congratulations!"

Jimin furrowed her brows. 

"For what?"

Yizhuo giggled and wiggled her eyebrows. "Where's Minjeong?"

Jimin raised her eyebrow. 

"Why are you asking me? Isn't she supposed to be with you?" It came out colder than Jimin intended it to be.

"What do you mean?"

Jimin internally scoffed. Does she really want me to say it? 

"Aren't you her d--?"

"Jimin." 

A cold voice cut her off. 

The two girls faced the direction of where the voice came from. Aeri approached them wearing a sequined black and purple dress. Jimin could have complimented her, if not for the pair of ice-cold eyes staring back at her at this very moment.

"I don't know what the heck happened since that one afternoon we talked, but I can't believe you did that to her."

"What are you talking about, Aeri?"

"I never thought you would be someone who would do such a thing. I thought you were different. The only thing stopping me from slapping you right now is the fact that we're also friends."

Something about Aeri's tone and choice of words ticked Jimin off.

"Hey, what the hell?!  What are you even trying to say?"

"I just want to know why you did that." Aeri crossed her arms, clenching her hands.

Jimin frustratingly ran her fingers through her hair. "Wait a second. Why is everyone breathing down my neck tonight?" She irritatedly asked before she turned to Yizhuo. 

"Yizhuo, I don't know where Minjeong is. She's your date so you should know where she is." 

"Minjeong's my date?" The shorter girl asked confusingly, then shook her head. "No, she's not."

Huh?

"Didn't she ask you?"

"No." Yizhuo shook her head. "I thought she was here with you."

"Wait, what are you talking about? She just asked you to be her prom date yesterday, right?"

"Jimin unnie, I am a hundred percent sure Minjeong didn't ask me to be her prom date yesterday, nor any other day."

"B-but Jaehyun said..." Jimin's eyes were fixed on the ground, trying to make sense of everything.

"What did he say?" Yizhuo started looking around the room when Jimin didn't answer her question.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter