Chapter 1

Serendipity

You first noticed him when he walked into the coffee shop. A mere glance at first but you quickly did a double-take. Damn if he wasn't gorgeous. That kind of gorgeous that should be illegal. That caused traffic accidents because people couldn't take their eyes off of him. Something you found hard to do too.
Turning your attention back to the customer at the register, you forced yourself to concentrate as you took the order. As soon as you were able to though, your gaze wandered around the shop to find him again. He was standing in line while perusing the menu. Meaning you were going to have to face him and talk to him.
Please, please, please do not let me stutter in front of him like an idiot.
As the line got shorter, your mouth got drier and your legs got weaker. You swallowed while giving yourself a mental pep talk. It's just one guy, that probably didn't even notice you. No big deal. Just take his order. Besides, someone that good looking has to already have a girlfriend.
That last thought didn't sit well with you, but there was a lot of truth in it. That always seemed to be the case with good looking people. Everyone else flocked to them, making them popular with friends and lovers.
One last order and you took a deep breath. The person moved aside, showing you the god walking among mortals.
"Hey." he greeted with a smile.
"Welcome." you said, smiling as well. "What can I get you?"
"Hmm...." He surveyed the menu for a moment before looking back at you. "How about a large whatever-you-like."
Your brain short-circuited. "Huh?"
His smile broadened. "Pick for me. What do you like?" 
"Oh." you uttered while staring at his smile. What coffee did you like again? And what was coffee?
You mentally slapped yourself and shook your head. Then you told him your usual order.
He pursed his lips and nodded in thought before saying, "That sounds good."
"Okay." you punched in his order and waited while he paid with his card.
"You gonna ask me my name?"
You blinked at him. "What?"
"Are you gonna ask me my name?" He indicated the register. "For the order."
"Oh. Um..." You shook your head once more. If this continued any longer, you really were going to turn in to a stuttering idiot.
Holding out his receipt, you pointed to the numbers on the paper. "Your order number will be called out." 
He took the paper from you, his fingers brushing yours and making them tingle. He set the paper down on the counter and made a show of very slowly putting his card back in to this wallet. "So, you don't want to know my name?"
The question was both cute and ridiculous. Of course you wanted to know his name, though you didn't see how that would make any difference. Still, you smiled and humored him. "What's your name?"
He brightly smiled at you. "Daehyun. What's yours?"
What??? 
Bells, sirens, and whistles filled your head. You gaped at him while feeling your face heat up. It took everything you had to stutter out your name, and then to not smack your forehead for stuttering.
He chuckled while amusement danced in his eyes. He opened his mouth to say something else when a loud 'ahem' came from behind him. Then he was blushing, as if he just remembered all the other people waiting in line behind him.
You watched as he took his receipt and moved away from the counter. The person behind him stepped up and glared daggers at you. You pasted on a smile and hurriedly took their order. 
As soon as they walked away, you looked over to see Daheyun watching you. Feeling yourself blushing, you swiftly looked away to serve the next customer. After a couple more orders, you heard his number called. A quick peek showed him step up to the other counter and then you surveyed the line you had. There was no way you were going to get through the morning rush quick enough to talk to him again.
Another order and then you looked around the shop just in time to see him walk out the doors. Looks like that was all there was going to be. Deflated, you focused on your work and told yourself to forget about him.

Of course it didn't work out that well. Your brain kept replaying your counter with the handsome male all day. Even now as you drove to your parents' house for dinner, you couldn't get the image of his smiling face out of your mind. You were definitely crushing on him in a bad way. And it may have been your imagination, but you were pretty sure he felt the same way.
Parking along the curb, you got out and locked your car. As you approached the front door, it opened to reveal your mom standing there excitedly.
"There you are! I was wondering when you were going to show." she excitedly stated.
"Hi mom." you told her and gave her a quick hug. Then of course you had to . "It's almost like you haven't seen me in forever."
"Well sometimes a week is forever."
You laughed at that and slipped your shoes off. "Dinner done?"
"Just about." She headed to the kitchen and you followed her. The house smelled heavenly, making your mouth water.
When you entered the kitchen, you saw your dad gathering dishes to set the table with. "Hey you."
"Hey dad. Need a hand?" you asked. You took the plates from him and then furrowed your eyebrows in confusion. "Why are there four plates?"
"Remember how we rented out the apartment above the garage a couple weeks back?" Your mom began transferring the meal to serving dishes. "I invited him over for dinner."
"Really?" you questioned. Not that it was surprising considering your mom.
Then your dad piped in. "He's a nice, young man."
That sent off warning signals. "Wait, are you guys trying to hook me up again?"
"Oh really now." your mom tsked. "Would we do that?"
"Yes. Yes you would."
Your parents shared a conspiratorial look. They last couple of guys they had set you up with were utter failures in the relationship department, making it so you weren't keen on their help. Besides, if you did manage to see Daehyun again, you could see if that led to anything.
A small blush formed on your face as you got ready to tell them about him. "Well, actually.."
The doorbell rang, cutting you off.
"That must be him now. Hold that thought." Your mom took off so fast for the front door you wondered if she had whiplash.
Your dad chuckled as he went to the dining room. "Come on."
You followed him and placed the plates around the table. "As I was saying, I actually met this guy at work earlier today so don't get your hopes up about tonight."
He raised his eyebrow at that, but didn't say anything. You heard your mother's voice and turned to greet the guest. Then your mouth dropped open.
"Here they are. Daehyun, this is.."
The male said your name with a surprised look on his face.
"Oh. You two know each other?" your mom questioned.
"Uh... yeah." you answered.
"At the coffee shop." Daehyun added.
Your dad came around the table. "At the coffee shop, huh?" He smiled wickedly at you. "That was today?"
Blushing, you swallowed thickly and nodded.
"Well isn't this a lovely coincidence." Your mom's smiled mirrored your dad's. "Why don't you two finish setting the table while your dad and I grab the food."
Your parents swiftly left the dining room, leaving you alone with Daehyun. The two of you stood there silently and you wished the ground would open up to swallow you whole.
He cleared his throat and took a step closer. "Well, this is a shock."
"Yeah." you agreed with a nervous chuckle. You turned back to the table and started spreading the napkins around. Then you were very much aware of the man moving to stand next to you.
"It was good by the way." he told you. "The coffee."
Still blushing, you smiled at him. "That's good." 
You fumbled with the silverware until he reached out to take them from you. He finished setting the table before turning to you. That same bright smile formed on his face. "So, is there any particular reason your mom insisted I come over for dinner tonight?"
my life.
If your face could get any hotter, it would be on fire. Thankfully your parents entered the room at the moment, saving you from having to answer. They set the food on the table and your mom fussed over Daehyun, telling him she hopes he enjoys the food and to eat as much as he wants. You were also 100% sure she had to stop herself from squealing when Daehyun pulled out your chair for you.
Once Daehyun sat down in his own chair, you peeked over at him to see him watching you with his eyes twinkling in amusement. You quickly looked away and caught your dad's gaze, only to see amusement in his eyes as well as he smirked at you. That's when you decided to keep your head down and stare at your plate.
Throughout the dinner, you mom kept up most of the conversation. Which was mostly peppering Daehyun with questions. How was work, stuff about his family, how the apartment was. You resisted the urge to kick her under the table. It was one thing to be curious, but your mom was making it seem like an interrogation. And every time she tried to drag you in to the conversation, you could only manage to squeak out short remarks.
"So, do you have a special someone in your life?
Your head whipped up. "Mom!"
She blinked innocently at you. "What? I'm just being polite and getting to know our guest."
You turned to Daehyun and was about to apologize when he chuckled.
"No ma'am." he declared. Then his gaze slid to you as he smiled. "There's no one like that..."
He trailed off, as if he meant to say 'yet' at the end of his sentence.
Kill me now.
"Well, then." Your mom had a huge grin on her face as she stood up. "I should get this cleared up."
Daehyun quickly stood. "Let me help."
Your dad swatted his hands away. "No, no, we got it. Why don't the two of you go talk?"
"In fact, it's such a lovely night." your mom added, "Why don't you guys go sit on the porch. We'll join you in a few minutes."
You opened your mouth to protest but Daehyun spoke first. "That sounds like a good idea." Then to your mom he said, "It was a lovely meal. Thank you for having me."
"Of course! We'll have to do this again."
Glancing around to see three smiling faces waiting for you, you swallowed and stood up. Silently you led Daehyun to the kitchen and out the back door.

As soon as you were outside on the porch, you took in a deep breath of air to fortify yourself. "Sorry about that."
Daehyun smirked at you. "About what?"
You closed your eyes and resisted a groan. "I mean... My mom... And..." Great, you were a stammering idiot now.
He chuckled and shook his head. "It's fine." Then he indicated towards the porch swing. The one piece of furniture out here that could seat two people.
Blushing for probably the hundredth time tonight, you sat on the swing and did your best to ignore the butterflies in your stomach when he sat next to you.
"Your parents are pretty cool. Especially your mom." he declared. "She keeps bringing me meals and made me a pie when I moved in."
Unable to help yourself, you giggled. "Yeah, that's my mom. She likes fussing over people."
"And now I understand why I had to come to dinner tonight." he continued. "And why she wouldn't take no for an answer."
Well this quickly became mortifying. "Uh... yeah. About that... I'm really sorry." You rolled your eyes and shook your head. "They're probably spying on us through the window right now."
He laughed at that. "So I probably shouldn't kiss you right now?"
You felt like you were choking on air as you sputtered, making him laugh even more. "Wow, you really know how to lay on the charm don't you?" you accused and playfully glared at him.
"Absolutely." he agreed, unperturbed. "And I'm going to keep laying it on pretty thick cause I'm really hoping you'll say that you want to see me again."
A smile formed on your face and you had to look away for a moment. When you met his gaze again, he was smiling and looking at you in anticipation. "I..." He leaned in closer. "Want... to see you again."
He leaned back and closed his eyes while forming fists with both his hands. "Yes." Then he opened his eyes to smile at you again. "I'd ask for your phone number but I'm pretty sure your parents have already written it down and are eager to give it to me."
This time you barked out a laugh before nodding a few times. "Yeah, that sounds like them."
He reached over and took your hand in his, weaving your fingers together. That same tingling like earlier, when he brushed your fingers while taking his receipt, spread over your hand. Then your stomach did flips as he brought your hand up to lightly kiss it.
You scrambled for something to say while fireworks shot off in your brain. That's when you noticed movement and you leaned forward to look at the kitchen window better. The curtain was hastily moved back in place.
"They spying?"
"Yep."
Daehyun chuckled. "Guess I made their night, like you made mine."
You were blushing again. Again. Then you shyly smiled at him, "You made my whole day."