lullabies

lullabies

A total failure. Everything around Jeongyeon makes her want to puke, want to jump off a building and just fly far away from the set because everything is so messed up including herself.

"CUT!"

She shouted out of nowhere and sighed. She saw that everyone around her is tired already given the fact that it's already 2AM in the morning and they still hasn't finished filming that one certain heavy scene that they are trying to shoot for almost 10 hours already.

"Is everything okay, Director?"

"Yeah, fine. Just... yeah, never mind. Buy some coffees for the actors for the meantime, please. Let's resume shooting in 40 minutes."

She said to her assistant that the latter followed and announced to the whole team.

Jeongyeon then relaxed her back in the director's chair and closed her eyes for a while before standing up and roam around the whole set to check her cameramen and boom operators.

She wants to check the technical first so she knows what she needs in the next takes and what to advise to her actors. Once her team knows that she will come to their location, they instantly report the things they notice while filming and Jeongyeon is always grateful for that.

"Can you move this camera to the other side? I'll tell the light director to move the back light so it has a better angle. Also, move the boom mic closer, the voice of the main actor sounds static to me. Other than that, I think we're okay"

She then moved inside her actors' tent and saw the two of them practicing their lines instead of resting their voices and emotions, and even if she wants to be grateful for that, she also wants them to rest for a while because the scene they keep on rehearsing is a heavy one and therefore they need to reserve their emotions.

Despite that, she still continues to observe the two and surprisingly felt the emotion she is finding for 10 hours already, that kind of emotion the two should bring in front of the camera.

"Oh my God. That's perfect."

The two were surprised that made their scripts fall down and they immediately stood up.

"Let's go outside. Let's continue shooting. That's the kind of energy and emotion I want you to have. Keep it. RESUME SHOOTING!"

Jeongyeon shouted while going out and everyone followed. Her everyday life may be stressful because of sleepless nights and tiring days, however, this is the field, she chose to work on for the rest of her life so she doesn't have any choice. She just hopes that everything will fall into its right places again.

------

Nervousness immediately dominated Nayeon's whole system. There is still one week remaining from her graduation recital, but she feels so damn anxious already and she hates herself for it. She keeps on picking at her nails and walking back and forth in her own bedroom instead of memorizing her songs and finding the right emotion to convey the message of it.

She cannot help it, though, because besides the fact that she will already graduate from the theater academy and she will no longer have her training there as she will move to the company's actual training and rehearsal grounds, it's also because they already made a deal with her, that no matter what happens, she will be that rising theater singer and actress as she is the first one who made it that big even when she was still a rookie way back then.

"Relax, you can do it. You will do it. This is the thing that you want, this is the only thing that you will keep on wanting and doing for the rest of your life, Nayeon. Deal with it. There's no backing out and running away anymore."

She took a deep breath and eventually stopped walking unusually and picking at her nails. She developed that kind of habit when she's so worried mostly about her performances, particularly when her monthly evaluations is coming up and she needs to impress the directors or else she will not debut.

It has been her dream ever since she was a child to hold the microphone, have that shining spotlight all by herself, and have her own audience in front of her, giving her a round of applause and standing ovations once she's done performing.

She really likes the feeling of being recognized and that's why she worked so hard in singing ever since she was in primary school, even convinced her parents to enroll her in a theater academy just so she can practice well, even at such a young age.

Looking back at that dream and literally looking at her photo way back then when she first won as the best singer and best actress at their school, makes Nayeon determined and motivated to keep on striving harder and eventually do her best for her graduation recital.

After all, she's only a few steps away from achieving that goal, so she really shouldn't have the need to say that she will give up just because she's nervous and she doesn't want to leave the academy yet.

"The recital will gonna be a great and successful day."

------

Nayeon's final recital immediately came and the girl's anxiousness is evident in her whole system as ever. Her classmates at the academy, her trainers, and her family members all helped each other to calm her down and cheer for her, wishing her the best because it's literally not her last performance, but rather, that is her performance that will welcome her to the big stage and more shining spotlight.

She trusts herself and she believes in herself that she will make it and she will make her dreams into reality today, that's why she really needs to give all her best as if it's her last performance already. Nayeon smiled and thanked all of them before going to the hall's backstage, prepare herself, and wait for her segment.

At that moment when Nayeon is on her way to the backstage, that's when Jeongyeon decided to randomly enter the theater after she saw the recital's poster outside the building while she is about to go home after grabbing some bread and coffee from her favorite shop across her apartment. She hurriedly ate her food as it is not allowed inside and bought herself a ticket.

"Nayeon"

She repeats the performer's name to herself as if memorizing every letter that word has, as if it's some kind of spell she needs to remember for her to feel something, as if it's a thing that can give some remedy to her stress and exhaustion from shooting a film for 4 days straight without sleep. Jeongyeon just personally thinks that the name Nayeon sounds calming and promising.

Jeongyeon then entered the hall still half-asleep even after eating her first meal of the day and scroll through her phone while waiting for the show to start. She immediately searched about the word Nayeon and found some definition and phrases like "elegant, graceful, delicate" and "beautiful destiny".

She scrolled further and saw a pretty girl with the name Nayeon and immediately closed her phone. She shook her head and thought that she should surprise herself with this Nayeon girl so she shouldn't look much of her.

Someone announced that the show is about to start in 5 minutes and advised the audience to turn off their devices so it will not serve as a distraction to the performers. Jeongyeon relaxed and immersed herself with the not-so-comfortable seat inside the theater and wait for the show to start.

As Nayeon's segment is coming to its beginning, she keeps on picking at her nails and talking to herself while keeping her head low and arranging her lapel in her back.

"Im Nayeon, hwaiting!"

"Let's all welcome, the brightest star of the show, Ms. Nayeon Im"

They all gave her a round of applause as Nayeon walks towards the stage and immediately stood proudly and found her own spotlight. The musicians immediately started playing as Nayeon started singing and feeling the whole song that she wholeheartedly picked as one of her finale.

"My affectionate love, did you forget me?"

The song starts and the whole hall were just quiet, feeling Nayeon's performance, even the kind of emotion the song wants to convey through Nayeon's angelic voice. The whole performance made almost all of them tear up, even if there is not much high notes, they still manage to receive the message of the song and they are just so proud of the girl because she finally graduated and will have her own debut as a theater singer soon.

Though Jeongyeon doesn't know the performer personally, her voice just made her tear up and gave her heart a tug even if she doesn't know the reason. There's just something about the girl's voice that feels so soothing, feels like bringing her to paradise and slowly making her feel at ease, feels like the lullaby she never knew she needed in her whole life.

She stood up, wipe her tears away, and clap with the audience as the girl in front of her is bowing to everyone with a warm smile on her face as she receives a bouquet of roses and being congratulated by the directors for a job well done.

"Once again, the only and only, Nayeon Im!"

Jeongyeon exited the hall 5 minutes after it was announced that the show finally ended. It was truly a great one and she's glad that she decided to enter even if she needs more sleep.

She went to the nearest flower shop and bought a stem of rose before going back to the hall and destiny is indeed by her side as when she was about to go to the backstage area, she literally just bumped to THE IM NAYEON that exactly made her heart beat so fast and blames it on the strong coffee she had a while ago.

"Uhm, hi. Congrats on your graduation recital, Miss Nayeon"

She gave the stem of rose she bought a while ago and Nayeon received it instantly.

"Thank you. May I know—"

"Oh. Sorry I'm so random, just a passerby and actually just decided to watch your recital. I'm Yoo Jeongyeon, by the way"

A good (read: really bad) awkward silence came after they shook their hands and smiled so awkwardly at each other, but for Jeongyeon, it personally warmed her heart seeing the girl up close.

"Uhm you really did a great job a while ago, I'm... uh mesmerized with your talent. Uhm... I hope I can witness you perform again. So..."

"Thank you for nice words, Jeongyeon-ssi"

Nayeon gave her a sweet smile that made Jeongyeon relax and feel a bit comfortable with their situation.

"I'll... I'll get going. Congratulations again on your recital. I hope to see you perform on the broadway, hopefully. Have a nice day."

She exited the whole place and went straight to her apartment to lay her back to the soft mattress and just fully rest and sleep. She needed it the most.

When Jeongyeon eventually woke up from her 16 hours straight deep sleep and it's already 1 in the afternoon, she immediately called some fast food chain and ordered everything she craves as she feels so thirsty and hungry after not eating properly for 4 days straight already. She also needs to take a bath and take care of the things for post-production, but above all those, she thinks of only one thing, or rather one person, as her priority for the day.

"How will I know your contact details?"

She stared at the recital program in her hands and her mind just keeps on repeating "Im Nayeon" that made something pop on her mind.

"They do attend the same theater academy, is it possible for her to know her when she's probably ahead of year?"

Jeongyeon was about to send a message to that person who can help her, but hesitated for a second.

"It's worth a shot, I guess"

[Annoying Jeongyeon]

Hey God Hyo, are you busy? Can you look for someone for me, please?

[Loud God Jihyo]

Who?

[Annoying Jeongyeon]

Do you know someone with the name IM NAYEON?

[Loud God Jihyo]

Nayeon? As in THE IM NAYEON? The theater singer?

[Annoying Jeongyeon]

Yeah?

[Loud God Jihyo]

She's my Senior. Why? Do you want to get her number and ask her on a date?

[Annoying Jeongyeon]

Yes

Huh? I mean NO!

[Loud God Jihyo]

Got you

Nayeon Sunbae- +82 XX XXXX YYYY

You're welcome

[Annoying Jeongyeon]

Thanks, Hyo! I'll give you a VIP ticket on my movie premiere!

And just like, Nayeon and Jeongyeon had their first phone conversation through their common friend which is Park Jihyo—Nayeon's junior in theater academy and Jeongyeon's classmate when she was in high school.

"Hi! This is Jeongyeon. I got your number from Park Jihyo. Sorry for the random message, but I just can't let you go off my mind so..."

"Uh, sorry that was sudden."

Jeongyeon hates herself for not even thinking of her words before hitting the send button. She groaned and throw her phone on her bed as she hears someone pushes the doorbell just in time because she thinks she's just hungry that's why she can't think straight yet.

When she prepared all the foods she ordered on her dining table and starting digging on her food, she keeps on refreshing her inbox, hoping that Nayeon will reply, but she already finished eating after an hour and a half but there's still nothing.

"Let's get to work in the meantime, Yoo Jeongyeon"

She immersed herself with the pile of work she needs to do for the post-production like checking every voice file, background music, angles of each scene, lighting, all the technicalities, if they need to reshoot something or add some scenes, including visiting all technical aspects and everything that concerns the whole film that she doesn't even notice that it's already past 10 in the evening, that fast.

She's really focused with the documents she needs to finish for clarification and follow up with her team that she barely didn't bother to eat something for dinner.

"Hi. It's okay. Uhm, it's nice to meet you. I hope we could be in good terms"

All the tiredness from Jeongyeon's system was gone and that message immediately gave a smile on her face. She really doesn't know why she took her contact details, even the reason why she gave her a rose and decided to talk to her backstage, and also the sole cause why she's in that situation when she decided to watch her recital when she's not in the theater field but in a film one.

She also doesn't know if she wants to be friends with her or cast her as an actress in the future or contract her as one of her music producers or whatnot, and she wants to know why there's a tingling feeling inside her when her mind decides to flash the way the girl sing so beautifully yesterday.

"I hope we really will, Nayeon-ssi. I hope you're having a nice evening."

"Ah. I heard that you're classmates with Jihyo? You can call me just Nayeon, then."

"Uh, yes. Jihyo is my classmate back then, Nayeon"

The awkward conversation stopped for a while and Jeongyeon blames herself for it.

"You should sleep and have some rest, Nayeon. Thank you for replying... I hope I can see you again. Good night :) "

She can literally feel the awkwardness, first and foremost because she never says good night to anyone, nor put a smiling face in a text, secondly, she can just honestly feel how dry the conversation is and how worthless she is as a person when it comes to conversations, and lastly because she just wants everything to fall back into its proper places so she will know and work on her goals again.

-----

A few months after Jeongyeon met Nayeon in the latter's graduation recital, their occasional conversation goes on even if they are both busy with their own schedules and careers.

"Hey, do you want to watch a theater play again?"

"Yeah, sure. When? So I can cancel a possible meeting, if ever"

Nayeon sent a digital VIP ticket for a musical theater play in the same theater hall as she plays the supporting role and she wants to invite her new found friend who might got an interest in theater despite being in the film path.

"Wow. That's nice. Congratulations, in advance. I promise to make it on time for your first ever show as a debuted actress"

"Please, it's not much a big deal since I'm just a supporting role there."

"But the fact that you made it already right after 5 months of graduating? That's actually great, you know? The next thing I know you'll be a main role. I'm proud of you"

"And now that's random, Yoo Jeongyeon. But thanks, see you there"

The day of Nayeon's first ever show after she debuted eventually came and they are both excited because even if she's just a supporting role, she still has pretty much amount of songs to sing that will surely make Jeongyeon's heart melt once again.

And as expected, when the show finally started and both were focused—Nayeon with singing and acting, and Jeongyeon with watching, they cannot help but be occupied with the whole story and Jeongyeon once again felt the kind of comfort she never knew she needed just by listening to Nayeon's voice.

They agreed to have a dinner "friendly" date after the show and Jeongyeon patiently waited for Nayeon to pack her things and arrange herself before they went to the restaurant Jeongyeon already reserved for the both of them.

"You did an excellent job back there, as usual, Miss Im Nayeon"

Jeongyeon slowly clapped that made Nayeon chuckle and acted like she's shy when it made her blush and smile so cheekily.

"Stop. I barely got the spotlight so it's not much"

"Stop saying it's not much, come on, you deserve it, you're already walking towards your goal of having your own main role. You know that everything starts from the bottom before actually going up, right?"

"Yeah, just like what happened to you when you became a production assistant first, then became a part of the creative then, became a writer, then a producer, then a director at the same time. Thank you so much, Jeongyeon, really. I may sound like I'm mocking you or something, but I'm definitely not. I learned a lot from you ever since I met you, even if I'm older than you by age, but you're my senior in the art field, so I'm really grateful for your words. I really appreciate it."

Their food arrived and it made Jeongyeon smiled as they start eating peacefully and loving the comfortable atmosphere around them compared to their first meeting.

"Don't think about it, Nayeon. I'm glad I can help based on my own experience. I just want you to know that I'm proud of you and you keep on improving. I'm your number 1 fan, Miss Im"

"Thanks for that, Jeongie"

The sudden nickname made Jeongyeon blush and immediately made her drink the wine bottoms up that surprised Nayeon.

"You're going to drive home, drink it slowly, Jeongie"

Jeongyeon doesn't want to listen to her inner voice, doesn't want to give attention to her heart, and literally to anything that takes her to "that" idea but Nayeon calling her "Jeongie" just broke all of those ideas as she cannot help but be soft with the girl.

The dinner went well and Jeongyeon insisted on driving Nayeon home as it's already night time and it's not safe if she will take a taxi going back home. That's when she knew the girl's address and immediately send her a bouquet of roses the day after to congratulate her. 

-----

Jeongyeon invited Nayeon to the movie premiere, she produced and directed next. The excitement is evident in Nayeon as she doesn't simply reply to Jeongyeon's email of the VIP ticket, but called her just to say her congratulations and confirmation that she will absolutely attend.

"I'm proud of you, Jeongie!!!!! I just called to say that. See you at the premiere. Take care!"

She doesn't even had the chance to say hi or bye as the girl already hung up the call that made her chuckle in her phone and questioned by her team because it's unusual for her to smile in just simple things, specifically inside their office.

"I... saw a meme on my inbox"

The movie premiere immediately came and Nayeon indeed came together with Jihyo. They all celebrated the success of the romantic tragedy film Jeongyeon made that Nayeon personally thinks that is not so Jeongyeon because of the genre.

However, she doesn't want to judge her since the whole movie was actually amazing, including that heavy scene, according to Jeongyeon, took 10 hours of shooting, and that plot twist she never expected and she keeps on talking about it because she was really amazed by that, that Jihyo just laughs and agrees with her as it's indeed amazing.

After the movie premiere, Jihyo said that she still have some date to attend to, so they just hug each other for a moment before they arrange some bonding date together and eventually leave the two.

They went on a dinner first before Jeongyeon took Nayeon to her secret place which is on the rooftop of some old building near her apartment that grew over her already right after her college graduation and when she needs to have some place to breathe when she's somehow depressed with her job, knowing how hectic her life would be because of her career choice.

She already has a whole setup there—a sofa, a blanket, a mini tent, some of her belongings that she can use when she's writing a screenplay or drawing a storyboard, and the vinyl that is her favorite thing in the world.

"It's so nice here. Thank you for bringing me to your secret place, Jeongie"

"You can come here, even if you're not with me. It's not a secret for you anymore"

She then started playing some classic song through the vinyl and they both enjoy the whole atmosphere as the night goes deeper and their soft hours eventually come.

"It's been just almost a year, but you already grew in my system, Jeongyeon. I want to know the reason why, but I also don't know exactly why is that..."

Nayeon chuckled and they both lay their backs at the sofa and stared at the night sky. There's not much visible stars nor the bright moon, but they still think that, that moment right there is enough for them to feel tranquility.

"I also want to know the reason why I randomly decided to watch your recital back then. It's been almost a year, but I still haven't figured it out. But I know that it's one of the best spontaneous things I have done in my entire life."

"Really? Then I'll sing a song for you as a reward. It's my personal modern song favorite."

Nayeon started singing "Just a little bit of your heart" by Ariana Grande as her hands suddenly just feel like holding Jeongyeon's own and intertwine it with hers while not looking at each other, just feeling that exact moment, curving it into their hearts so they will not forget anything about it.

"I don't ever tell you
How I really feel
Cause I can't find the words to
Say what I mean"

And right then and there, Jeongyeon finally found the serenity she is finding for how many years now. Nayeon's voice is indeed her personal lullaby and she will forever be grateful for her. 

------

After that theater play and movie premiere scenario, they went back to being busy with their own business and trying to strive hard to remain in their respective careers and keep on their track.

Nayeon is getting better when it comes to her acting because according to the directors she met and the people who cast her, she already doesn't need to be evaluated when it comes to her singing because she's already magnificent at it.

She just keeps on practicing her lines, even if she's just a supporting role, and always finding the right tone for every song in every scene, no matter how different or similar the roles has been given to her.

She also sometimes practices the piano or the violin when she's tired from exercising her vocals and memorizing her scripts and songs. It helps her be relaxed when her mind is clouded with so many thoughts, possibilities, and regrets like she should've done better in the 3rd act, she should've sung better and louder in that confrontation scene, and many more that has been immediately erased from her system just because of listening and playing some classical music.

On most days, she is busy with rehearsals with her co-theater actors and singers in the rehearsal room in their company that mostly takes about 14 to 16 hours with lunch and team dinners in between.

And if their show is only 3 weeks away, they all stay there for the meantime as they already have strict rules to follow and their mentor needs to monitor them for a better, even the best, show the audience will have during their show dates.

Nayeon is exhausted as a rising theater singer, of course, but whenever she sees her co-workers enjoying the whole show as if they are not working for money, but working for their passion, it makes her at ease because it's just one of the things that reminds her of her dream, that validates herself that she indeed made the right choice and chose the right path, that she really belong to be in the theater path and nothing else.

She loves how tiring it can be that even in her dreams at night, she's singing and having that spotlight, that even during day-offs she can still recall the scenes and the songs she performs even if the show ended already. She loves how her work gives her an adrenaline rush in a good way that personally makes her everyday life better.

As for Jeongyeon, she thinks that stress already made its own home in her system as it never leave ever since she decided to have her own team and planned to build her own production.

However, she always reminds herself of all the trophies she bagged all over the years because of passion and hardwork, the good reviews and comments from her family, acquaintances, and co-workers in field, the feedback from the fans of her actors, and that one voice she wants to keep on listening over and over again, to keep her sane and keep going. She feels relaxed once again.

Shooting films, meeting with her team during pre-production, brainstorming with her writers, checking her cameramen and light directors, editing with her editors during post-production, and everything that needs to be finished in every project may it be just a short film or an indie film or a mainstream film, even just a shoot for a commercial, she always does it well and keep the fire burning inside of her because she claims that this is really what she wants to do for the rest of her life and she will never have regrets of choosing this path.

She may have lack of sleep and rest, however, the "art for art's sake" is more important for her and that's why the passion inside of her never leaves, overpowering the stress and restless nights. She thinks that it's okay, it's absolutely okay, as long as she have that kind of satisfaction once their films are done.

What she loves about what is recently happening to her is that she finally found a constant stress-reliever and instant serotonin boost in between her work.

Though Nayeon and Jeongyeon seems busy with their own works, they still doesn't forget to call each other through the phone even if they are in the middle of some tasks and that truly makes Jeongyeon's whole system relax despite her whole environment having chaos because of missing scripts and boom mics and broken lights.

Listening to Nayeon's voice and her songs makes Jeongyeon feel at ease, it feels like she's giving some assurance that everything will be okay, that she can do it, that she can survive another day, and that she's doing great so she should keep going.

Nayeon's voice always tells her that she's doing the right thing, that she should enjoy every moment, and that she's deserving. And she believes her, Jeongyeon always believes her.

When they finally have the same day of rest days, that's when they decided to see each other and have a date instead of just sleeping and staying in their respective apartments.

"It feels so nice to breathe some fresh air again and just do nothing"

They both inhaled the freshness of the environment while closing their eyes before opening it again and smiled at each other.

"It's been a while. How are you?"

"Same old, same old. But it's getting interesting as time goes by, I guess. How about you?"

"Still working on that short film I told you a month ago. I just can't find the right inspiration for it, that's why I can't finish it yet."

"Why are you finding it when I'm here already?"

Nayeon joked that made Jeongyeon chuckle and made herself giggle.

"Kidding. It's so great so see you again, Jeongyeon."

"Yeah, I know. It's been, what? 3 or 4 months? It's a miracle that I got you off from your hectic schedule. You're getting prettier, Nayeon"

"Excuse me? Let me rephrase it—it's indeed a miracle that I got you off from your bombarded schedule, Miss Yoo Jeongyeon. And yes, I know I'm getting prettier, you don't need to mention it, but thank you very much, I'll take it as a compliment."

Jeongyeon just laughed it off and they started to eat their dinner as their orders finally arrived. It's just a fine evening, really.

The view from the restaurant's balcony is so nice as they can see the whole city lights that indeed makes them relaxed and the wine the place offers just gives a perfect taste for their buds, and did they already mention that the truffle oil pasta and gourmet Italian pasta is so delicious there? It's their favorite and they can't get enough of it.

"Hey, do you know that guy seating 3 tables behind us?"

Nayeon turned her head to see a guy with shades and a cap that immediately took his phone away and avoided her gaze. It immediately made her curious and get back to just looking at Jeongyeon.

"Not familiar, maybe he's a regular customer here. Why?"

"I didn't see him before, though. He just keeps on looking at our table ever since we arrived here."

"Really?"

"Ah, never mind. Maybe I'm still tired and needs to sleep."

They talk more for an hour, but Jeongyeon is still bothered by the guy because he doesn't even touch his food for the time being and she still keeps on noticing that he looks in their direction and seems like taking photos of Nayeon.

"Nayeon, I think it's a paparazzi or something like that. You might get into the news tomorrow morning. Should we leave now?"

"How the---"

Nayeon is about to question her why will she be on the news and she is about to say that there is nothing to worry, but then she realizes that she is right, they should leave now or else her managers and directors might get the wrong idea and might break their deal with her having her first ever main role in a theater play that she shared with Jeongyeon just a while ago.

She shouldn't be bothered because after all, Jeongyeon is just a friend and they are just eating dinner, but she hates how the society is so judgmental so she just agreed with the girl.

After that incident where they were almost doomed, they laugh it off when they arrive at their respective apartments and decided to continue their conversation through a phone call. That date was not the last because they will not get affected by that paparazzi and no one can stop them from seeing each other, even their busy schedules.

-----

With almost 5 years since they knew each other just because of an unexpected circumstance, they became surprisingly close as ever and they truly love that fact.

Maybe one of the reasons is because they are in the similar field and therefore can relate to the reason why they are tired and why they love being tired as it can result to having better performance in their own works.

They learned almost everything about each other despite being total strangers to one another when they met, special thanks to their dear friend Park Jihyo who somehow became the bridge of their closeness.

They still don't know up until now why they clicked, but what's important is that they now have someone they can lean on when they want to run away from the world, from everything and just breathe, find and stay with their favorite rest.

"Hey, do you have any promises you made already or do you have one promise to make right now?"

"That's random. I think none. Why?"

"What do you mean? It's so amusing being in the top of the mountain and you're just there staring at the view?"

Nayeon's not technically wrong, however, Jeongyeon isn't looking at the breathtaking mountain view anymore, but to the most breathtaking view she have ever seen in her whole life—Nayeon.

"Yeah? Is there something wrong with that?"

"If you don't have one, then I have. Do you want to know what is it?"

Nayeon turned her head to Jeongyeon and saw that the girl is looking at her sincerely, as if wants to say something that made her heart beat unusually fast. Jeongyeon just hummed as a signal for her to continue that gives an assurance and a satisfying feeling to the girl.

"I promise that I will only sing that certain song to you and for you, only Yoo Jeongyeon"

They also tried to make a short film based on a song together as part of Jeongyeon's personal project. Nothing can literally separate the both of them, particularly during their rest days because they want their passion inside to keep burning and so even during their day-off, they still try to be productive.

Jeongyeon is the one who directed the whole film, also the cameraman, editor, and cinematographer, while Nayeon tried to draw a storyboard and write the script, though it does not contain many lines, and she is also the main character.

They shoot the whole film inside the national heritage to have more emotions that brought the song. They had fun filming the whole day and editing the night after as they are literally the ones who worked on that, no one else.

"I never knew that you can also be a film actress, Nayeon. Nice job right there"

She finally closed her laptop after they finished rendering their first edit of the film and decided to rest after that almost 24 hours working for that personal project.

"I'm a versatile person, just so you know, Yoo Jeongyeon."

"Yeah, yeah, I know, stop bragging about it. I know you can eat while you're sleeping"

She laughs out loud that made her receive a light punch, but it literally made Nayeon laugh, too, remembering that one time when she's so sleepy, but she's so hungry at the same time, so she's dozing off while taking a bite and Jeongyeon has a whole video of that scenario on her phone.

The whole project gained a lot of views and heartwarming comments when they decided to upload it on Jeongyeon's production social media page and it gave Nayeon more opportunities and receive a lot of product partnership.

They said that they can truly relate from the whole film about a person who is currently taking her time to heal from everything and is doing her best to cope with the world. It is a film that showed how time is valuable and not everything is a race where they need to finish first to have validation from others.

That personal project gave a realization to Nayeon about her career. She thinks about the possibilities if ever she did not take that path and chose another, instead. Will she meet the important people in her life? Will she gain that kind of happiness and satisfaction? Will she keep on loving the spotlight and holding the microphone? Will she find her purpose to keep going?

Her only answer is no, she will definitely not going to be the Im Nayeon that she is now if she didn't decide to convince her parents to enroll her to a theater academy. She's just glad that her hardwork is paying off with her passion still burning inside her. She's glad that everything is falling into its right places.

It also gave her a realization about Jeongyeon. There's something that tells her, or convinces her otherwise, that if it weren't for the girl who personally said that she did great on her graduation recital, who gave her a lot of advice, learning, and knowledge in the industry, who made her realize about the things and moments she should value in life, then maybe she's not striving hard as ever to keep on having that spotlight.

Jeongyeon has been there since the start of her rising career, she has been there to believe in her, to cheer and root for her, to say that she's proud of her and she will be forever grateful for that.

Just like Nayeon, her own project also made her contemplate about her career. She has been on that path for almost a decade now and even if there are few regrets like she doesn't get much income compare to those professional careers, she doesn't care, because she doesn't do everything for money, anyway.

Having feedbacks from other people, seeing them appreciate her work is more than happiness for her already. Even if she's a woman behind the camera and is not visible in front, it's already enough for her as long as she gets the recognition she wants and she also got to express herself and her whole being through her works and projects. She loves being in here and so she will stay until the end.

And it also gave her a realization about Nayeon. Her existence literally saved her from everything. It may sound like she's overreacting or something similar to that, but it's true.

Nayeon saved her from loneliness, sadness, stress, tiredness. She saved her from sleepless nights and tiring days, from breaking down and losing herself. She saves her from every chaos she has in life and she realized all of it when Nayeon made a promise to her that she will keep on singing that lullaby to her as if it's something personal, just for the two of them.

She doesn't know she has that kind of battles of life that she never know she survived already if not for Nayeon who is always there to protect her and keep her safe.

-----

The real and biggest battle came in Jeongyeon's life and now they are just in the girl's terrace to once again watch the night sky and maybe question the universe. It's soft hours and therefore they can be soft as marshmallows whenever they want.

"Nayeon, this may sound cheesy and corny but you already know that I'm your number one fan, right?"

"I know it already by heart. And then?"

"Then please also know that you're my number one."

Nayeon gave her a pleading face and Jeongyeon gave her a warm smile as a return.

"What? I'm only telling the truth, you know. Am I not allowed to be mushy? You're my number one, Nayeon"

It's when Jeongyeon realized after how many years that they have been together. Nayeon's voice is her personal medicine she never knew she needed in her whole life. It's not just about the career and environment battles she needs to face that the girl helped her through, but also the battle within herself that she knew on their 3rd year as best friends.

She developed a serious condition due to her career that gives her lack of sleep and rest, some complications with her health, and the doctor said she lacked of Vitamin B6 and such things. She tried to take care of herself after that, but nothing changed, she still didn't avoid having that kind of condition that she got from her grandparents and so she just accepted her fate.

At least, Nayeon is there ever since she needed help from someone. She is her personal medicine that makes her keep going, keep breathing.

"Okay? Then, for me, you're my one and only, Jeongie"

She giggled and that made Jeongyeon's heart at ease. Even if they didn't say those kind of words they need as a confirmation, it doesn't matter anymore, as long as she knows Nayeon is by her side.

"Thank you for staying. I'm glad I meet you in this life. You helped me in many things and I will forever be grateful for that, Jeongyeon. I will always be grateful for your existence."

It is enough for Jeongyeon's heart to melt. Every word that came from Nayeon's mouth never fails to make her whole system melt and she will never stop herself from melting because all Nayeon does is to make her heart beat faster than usual, make her feel important and protected, and it's already enough for her.

"Nayeon, can you sing me a lullaby?"

The girl smiled sweetly at her and started singing Only Longing Grows, the only song she will sing just for her because she knows it's her personal favorite.

Nayeon doesn't know, but every word she sings feels heavy, as if she's performing in front of many people and she needs to convey the message of the song that is full of longing when there's just the two of them.

She can feel the calming, but lonely atmosphere while she is singing the whole song and she doesn't know why she's crying while singing, even closing her eyes while singing Jeongyeon's favorite song.

"Only longing grows"

Nayeon finished the song, opened her eyes and she regretted right away that she closed it because the moment she opened it, she already saw the girl beside her breathless, having her eternal rest while smiling.

She never knew that the girl just wants to hear her voice one last time before she passed away, even without saying goodbye.

Nayeon immediately regretted that she doesn't even said that she loves her so much, that she meant it when she said she's her one and only.

She's glad that Jeongyeon found the serenity in her own favorite lullaby through her voice and she got to spend her remaining time with her, but it still hurts her because she never knew she will be gone that fast.

She never knew that it's her last time with the only girl she loves.

And now, what remains with her is sadness, longing, and Jeongyeon's love.