First Impression Lasts. Not.

I.L.Y.A.F.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
02 FIRST IMPRESSION LASTS. NOT.  

Crossing paths with the cute girl for three consecutive days would be too much, wouldn’t it? It doesn’t happen in real life. That would be like the universe telling her, ‘ it up. How many more signs do you need?’

 

Or at least, that’s what Irene imagined. To be honest, she’s not a big believer of signs and that destiny crap. To be even more honest, she’s never  thought about destiny willingly. She’s never been attracted to anyone before. She never imagined herself being with someone, in a romantic sense. She never felt the need to.  She realized early that she didn’t like guys and most women hate her.

 

Heck, even Joy didn’t like her at first. When she later asked her about it Joy said, “Well I thought I was the prettiest girl in South Korea until I met you.”

 

“Is that the reason why most girls don’t like me?”

 

Joy gave her a once-over look and said, “Duh. Nobody likes a reminder that they’re ugly.”

 

“I do that?”

 

“No. But your face does.”

 

Irene thought it was shallow and ridiculous but she’s not one to dwell on emotions so she decided to live the rest of her life not caring about what people think. So yeah, she never gave a damn about both guys and girls.  She’s not a robot though, contrary to what Yeri thinks. Of course she appreciates beauty, but it was never enough to cause butterflies in her stomach.

 

 She’s never had a crush before. 

 

Until now. 

But she shouldn’t because she’s not gonna see her again. Right?

 

Right.

But the truth is, she’s still hoping to see the girl again. Even if the chances were below zero.  She found herself standing waiting infront of the vending machine, for 10 minutes now, in the hopes that the cute girl would pop up any minute.

 

After what feels like forever, she realizes how stupid she's acting so she finally pushes the button and settles for the milk chocolate drink. She was rounding the corner when she hears a voice.

 

It’s her.

The pretty girl, talking to someone on her phone. 

 

Irene’s first instinct was to hide behind the corner, slowly peeking to see the girl standing in front of the vending machine. She doesn’t seem to notice her and Irene contemplates if she should go around the back, pretend she just got there and get another drink. Maybe finally introduce herself.

 

“I’m still not sure. Can I just skip it?” The pretty girl says on the phone, “I’m not in the mood for anything fancy.” 

 

She pauses and sighs. “Yeah, I know.”

 

How can someone’s sigh be attractive? Irene thinks she must be losing her mind. 

 

“I’ll be fine.” 

 

Another pause.

 

“Yes, I’ll be there. I told you, didn’t I?”

 

Irene suddenly feels the guilt creeping up to her. She knows it’s bad to eavesdrop but her feet just wouldn’t move. She wonders if the shorter girl is talking to someone dear. A girl as pretty as her is most likely in a relationship. Her heart drops. She hasn’t thought this through. What if she’s already in a committed relationship? Worse, with a guy? She’s out here pining over a taken—

 

“I know Mom, I know. Just... give me more time.” The girl says in resignation. 

 

Whew. Nevermind. 

But still, that doesn’t mean she’s not in a relationship. What if— 

 

“I’ll try to call as much as possible.”

 

Irene shakes her head and realizes the call is ending. I’ll never know unless I talk to her. Focus Irene. She tells herself. She finally decides to make her way around the corner, walking as fast as she could. She finds the girl still on the phone, in front of the vending machine.

 

It would be okay for her to approach, right?

 

So she inches her way closer to girl vending machine, until she’s a few feet away. 

 

 

That’s when she gets caught in yet another daze again. 

 

The world seemed to have slowed down along with the pretty girl’s movements; her right hand combing through her hair; her eyebrows moving animatedly as she talks; her dimple showing when she purses her lips.

 

Irene imagines herself finally having the courage to walk right up to her.

“Hi! Can I use the vending machine first? 

She can’t say that. Nope. Too cocky.

 

“Hi! Would you like to go for a drink somewhere else?

Why would she use a vending machine if she wanted a drink somewhere else? also, creepy af.

 

“Can I get you anything?”

Might as well get her a table and a menu.

 

“No, it’s okay. You go first.”

That would only work if she offered.

 

“Can I help you?”

 

Irene snaps back to reality when she realizes the pretty girl is talking to her, covering the receiver of her phone. 

Her kind eyes were staring directly into hers and Irene was suddenly terrified the girl might be seeing through her. She has never felt so exposed.

 

and then the girl smiles.

 

.

Irene freezes, and chokes as soon as she opens to answer. It was only then that realized she actually held her breath the entire time she was staring at the girl because she was slightly gasping for air.

 

“Oh my god, are you okay?”

 

She nods a little too eagerly, “Dust.” she manages an excuse in between coughs.

 

“So, can I help you?”

 

The girl touches her shoulder and her mind goes blank again.

 

“I need to use the vending machine and you’re in my way.”

 

Did she just—

No no no no no noooo

That’s not how it was supposed to—!!!

 

“Oh. Right! I’m so so sorry.” The girl apologized and moved away, going back to the corner, far from Irene.

 

 

.

 

If the earth decides to open up and swallow her right now, she’d gladly let herself be swallowed. If the skies decides to strike some random person with a lightning, she’d be shouting to volunteer herself.

 

Why did she have to sound so… feral?????? 

 

It’s ruined. Everything’s ruined.

She couldn’t have ed this up more.

 

   

“GUESS W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter