The Gift

The Gift

THE GIFT

 

 

All my life I’ve been hiding in the dark, living in silence and total solitude. I have no friends. I dont even have family. My parents have left me a long time ago. Im not even sure if I have parents. I'm not sure if they are like me or they are mere mortals.


Today is my birthdate. I am sure as a human I was born today. I have found gifts in the house. Gifts for a child named Sandara, all wrapped up and dated November 12th. My birthdate as a vampire? I do not know.


I am waiting for him. Will he come today? Or will he not appear same on this day same as the year before? I have always watched him. Since he was a little boy until he had grown into a man. Since he was small he would come to the graveyard every November 12th. He would sit in the grass and I imagined he was having a conversation in his head. Every time he would bring flowers and every time I wished that the flowers were for me. Yes I was getting jealous with the dead. One night I came out of hiding and went into the graveyard. It was a womans remains in there, someone much older than him-- it was his mother. His mother died the same day that I was born. How could someone dead a long time ago be still be remembered so lovingly? Meanwhile me, I'll live forever, but no one remembers...no one cares.


Its about time. I roused from bed, my movements not making any sounds, not a creak from my bed.  With a fluidity, I flew to the window, my white billowy dress fluttering behind me, and I sat there-- waiting.


I can hear the rustling sound of the leaves. A different sort of smell wafted in the air. I knew someone was coming. I knew that someone was him. I could feel tears forming at the corners of my eyes and I self-consciously touched my hair as I caught sight of him. He was walking towards the graveyard a boquet of flowers in his hand.


I have noticed. He became thinner and paler. Was it because he didnt come for the last year that I noticed the big difference or have I forgotten how he really looked? "No, thats impossible. I never forgot how he looked!", I thought as I longingly touched the icy glass on my window. In that same instant he looked up. He looked up at the house, stared at the window in the attick, straight at` me. I swear I could feel my heart fluttering though it was impossible since my heart just lay unbeating inside my chest. But he was looking at me. Slowly, I saw the corners of his mouth raise for a smile. I was supposed to hide and cower in darkness but I smiled back. He waved, I waved back. Then he glanced at his mothers grave one last time and started walking towards the direction of my castle.


Without hesitation I flew down the flights of stairs. Not taking longer than a few seconds, I was standing behind the main door. I tried to make my fangs sink deeper into my gums but I could do nothing with their pointed shape as well as my pale skin. I looked around grabbed a rose petal and crushed it to my cheeks to give myself a bit of color the fluffed my hair. I giggled at how human I seemed. Then there came the knock on the door.


Would you like a gift for yourself Sandara? An inner voice asked as the door slowly creaked open on its own.


There he was standing outside my door. He just stood there marveling as if hypnotized at the sight of me.


I smiled and my fangs grew longer. I knew my eyes changed color and I looked even paler as the moonlight illuminated my skin. I flew to his side. He couldnt even move. I stared at the open collar of his shirt, at the beating pulse that invites me in. I smiled as I though to myself.


Happy birthday Sandara.


That night I got a gift for my birthday. I have made myself an eternal companion to be with me in my never ending existence.

 

 

(Inspired by 'IT HURTS' music video.  The superiority of that song and the music video will always be iconic.  I miss 2ne1🥲)