Swimming lessons

[One-shot] Swimming lessons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina sighed like it was the hardest thing to do. She’s exhausted. 

She recently transferred from Japan to South Korea in her senior year. She knew it wasn’t the good year for a change but her parents needed to move because of their work.

Still, she wanted no attention or whatsoever . But in her first week, almost everyone in the school wanted to get a glimpse of her.

She looked at her phone and an image of her, together with her two best friends, appeared on the screen. It looked simple and ordinary. Until, one of her classmates noticed who she was with. She started gaining attention after admitting she was friends with two promising trainees--Momo and Sana. 

Apparently, those two girls weren’t joking when they said, They’re going to be famous.

Even the teachers wanted to befriend her, or at least, get to know her. Her first week was emotionally draining. People wanted to ask and talk to her. Thankfully, there was someone who genuinely stuck by her side. This girl helped her with all the what-nots of the school, even if she was a year lower than her.

“...Besides, unnie, even if you don’t know Momo and Sana? You’d still be famous.”

“Because I’m a transferee?”

Chaeyoung, her new found friend, simply shook her head. “No…”

The younger girl offered her hand. And Mina, noticing the small gesture, smiled genuinely for the first time. They walked hand in hand along the corridor as some students started noticing them.

“...Because you’re so beautiful, Mina unnie.”

 

***



 

 

“Hi! I’ve been looking for you.”

Mina bowed out of courtesy. She wanted some quiet time and luckily, she discovered the library as her new sanctuary. Chaeyoung was a quick-witted girl, a sensitive person who understands her needs to recharge from socializing. She was thankful and almost cried when Chaeyoung brought her here for the first time. It wasn’t easy to be a transferee, added the fact that she needed to think more because of the new language. Thank God, she listened to her mom and studied Korean before moving. 

“What book are you looking for?” 

Mina studied the girl in front of her. She remembered her from her first week here. Probably one of the eager students who tried to introduce themselves. She couldn’t recall the girl’s name. But she was indeed memorable. 

The girl walked closer and smiled, showing her cute rabbit teeth and overwhelming Mina with her bubbly vibe. She was familiar with the wavy-brown girl in front of her. Because everyone seemed to be smitten over the girl. Including her. 

Mina answered flatly. “Uh, just browsing.”

The girl hummed and started browsing on the bookshelf. Her eyes gleamed in excitement when she found a book and eagerly handed it to her. “Have you read this? This is nice. I don’t usually read books for fun, but I love it so much I borrow it from time to time.” 

Mina scanned the cover of the book and grazed her fingers on it. Tipping the velvet.

“So, regarding what I told you before?”

Mina sighed. Probably another question related to Momo and Sana.

“Do I still need to buy goggles if we plan to do this?”

That wasn’t a question Mina expected to hear. “Eh?”

“Well, you’re gonna teach me how to float, right? Might as well teach me how to swim.”

Again, Mina was caught off-guard on the question. “Did I say yes to you?”

 

The other girl genuinely laughed, earning some glances on the students and a hush from a teacher. Both of them bowed immediately while the girl pushed them to the end of the aisle.

The girl whispered as she continued. “Sorry, you must have been overwhelmed on your first week here. But I remember Chaeyoung telling me that you know how to swim?” 

She simply nodded, still trying to recall their first encounter. 

“Okay. I’m sensing you also don’t remember my name?”

Mina sheepishly smiled. She held the book close to her chest and tried to cover the pounding of her heartbeat. 

“It’s fine. I’m Nayeon, President of the school council. Is Chaeyoung still helping you to get familiarized around the campus?”

“Uh, yes.”

Nayeon clasped her hands. “Good! I asked her to guide you since my classroom is on the other building.”

Mina stood still. She was slowly processing everything the girl was saying. And she was having a hard time. Not when she’s this close to her. Not when she could smell the girl’s sweet perfume. And especially not when she’s realizing how alluring the girl was.

“Hey.” Nayeon tapped her shoulder. “I’m not forcing you about the swimming lessons.” She looked at her wristwatch.  “Anyway, I gotta go now.” 

 

She started walking to leave while still facing Mina as she waved a quick goodbye. 

Mina unconsciously waved in return, watching until she saw the girl almost tripping. The older girl laughed at the act of clumsiness. And Mina softly gasped. She wanted to check, but Nayeon proudly reassured her. 

“I’m fine. See you tomorrow at lunch! And I’m Nayeon. Remember me, okay?” She winked at Mina before waving again for the last time. 

That night, with every page that Mina turned, all she could think of was the other girl’s smile and name.

 

 

Nayeon.

 

***

 

 

 

Mina mustered up the courage to visit Nayeon’s classroom. She prepared her heart like a warrior. She checked it from time to time, her hands close to her chest, protecting it from falling. She was ready. She’d planned all of her chores and homeworks and considered Friday as the perfect night to invite Nayeon. She stayed a little longer showering today, picked the new shampoo she bought directly from Japan. She straightened up her hair. And she practiced her speech in front of the mirror. She’s had her invisible armor ready. She’s confident. She could do this. 

She was ready, until she wasn’t.

Just outside the classroom was Nayeon standing, together with a girl who could par with the older girl’s charms. With a simple jacket, the tall girl beside her made their uniform look cool.

Mina took a second before softly calling Nayeon, but got intimated when the said girl looked at her first. The girl finger-combed her hair before smiling and extending her hand.

 

“Ah. You’re the famous transferee. I’m Jeongyeon.”

Mina accepted the handshake and smiled tightly. She realized, aside from Nayeon, this girl could pass up as someone stunning, and quite memorable. She didn’t even notice she was holding her breath, until Nayeon interrupted them.

“Hey!” Nayeon playfully hit Jeongyeon on the shoulder. “Jeongyeon, stop doing that smile to Mina.”

“What smile?”

“That smile!” Nayeon pouted like a child and pinched the tall girl’s face. 

“Hi, Mina! Well, now you know Jeongyeon. She’s my friend.”

“Friend?” Jeongyeon scoffed. “Wow! Nayeon, this is the first tim--aww!” Before she could continue, Nayeon had already elbowed the girl on her side.

 

Nayeon smiled at her. “Ignore her. What’s up?”

“Uhm. Nothing. Just walking around.” Mina could feel her armor falling in an instant, her nervousness was starting to show. 

“But, your room is in another building?”

“I...was also looking for Chaeyoung.” 

Nayeon looked at Jeongyeon for any clues before returning her gaze back at her. “We haven’t seen her. But sure, I'll text her.” She picked her phone and started typing. “By the way, do you have her number?”

Mina could feel Jeongyeon staring at her and she wanted to avoid it as much as possible. She moved close to Nayeon and whispered, “Uh no.”

Nayeon nodded and stepped closer to her. “Okay. I’ll give it to you. You can have my number too.” 

Nayeon grinned and offered her cellphone to Mina.

 

“Wow, that was so smooth Nayeonah!” Nayeon scowled at Jeongyeon, who only laughed in return. 

“I’ll give mine too, Mina!”

 

***


 

 

Nayeon sings like she’s ready to gamble her heart. Mina thought so. From the way she handled herself, she knew Nayeon was a vibrant, brave and confident girl. She didn’t know the girl could sing. And when she sings, she sings the truth of her emotions.

Mina closed her eyes and rested her ear on the phone. It was a drizzly night and Mina watched the droplets dancing on her windowpane. It was the perfect calm night when Nayeon called her. 

Can you help me with my English?

Mina went along with it. She knew Nayeon was practicing her communication skills  and Mina shared she went to the states when she was young. She waited for the girl to read a sentence or a passage. But she was surprised when the older girl started singing.

Nayeon’s a supernova. And she’s ready to burst out her emotions.

 

I’m in my bed and you’re not here.

Mina was in awe. The older girl’s voice was slowly melting the mask of her hidden feelings. She has never been a fan of chaos. Mina likes things slowly planned out, organized--almost perfect. But with Nayeon, it was a series of fleeting emotions and disarray thoughts. Mina didn’t want to get used to it. But she also knew that she’s helpless. 

Mina couldn’t stop her feelings. 

I'm falling again, I'm falling again, I'm falling.

 

Mina intently listened until the song ended. She didn't know what to say and waited for Nayeon to speak again. "Ahem. Do you like it?"

“Nayeonnie,” Mina mumbled her endearment for the older girl. “Are you aware that this is a sad song?”

“I know.” Nayeon giggled on the other line. “I noticed you’re a er for wistful things like rain and sad songs.”

 

Mina smiled. Nayeon noticed. 

 

“It’s raining and it reminds me of you.” They shared some seconds of comfortable silence before Nayeon spoke again, “Well uh, Good night, Minari.”

“Thank you. Good night, Nayeonnie.”

Mina buried herself on the pillow. She would handle these feelings well, she should. 

But tonight, she’d allow herself to be a mess with her scattered feelings for Nayeon. 

 

***

 

 

 

"Speaking of ," Jeongyeon smirked, eyeing Mina in particular, "Did you know Nayeon and I have seen each other ?"

Mina gently rested her chopsticks on the table, her fringes hiding her eyes. They were at the cafeteria having lunch when somehow, they ended up talking about public bath houses.

Mina chugged her water so fast that Chaeyoung noticed her. The youngest continued to observe Mina but kept her silence.

"Thank you for the food. I'm gonna go ahead."

"Oh. You're in a hurry?" Jeongyeon smiled too sweetly at her. Chaeyoung looked back and forth, curiously observing the two and suddenly feeling an unknown tension growing in the group.

"Yes. I need to study for a test." 

"Great! I remember Nayeon's studying at the library." Jeongyeon handed bread & juice to her. 

"Can you give it to her? She hasn't eaten yet." 

Mina casually nodded and left without missing a beat.

She couldn't believe what she heard. Nayeon and Jeongyeon together, ? But what's worse was she couldn't believe her blood's racing. She knew what was happening. She's been tainted with a green icky feeling on her skin, making her lose composure. 

She searched for Nayeon. And when she saw the older girl alone, focused on her books, she immediately walked towards her. Nayeon seemed to sense someone looking at her and turned her head. She watched the older girl's face change from a serious frown, into a charming bubbly smile.

 

Mina knew what was about to happen. She's losing control of herself.

 

By the time she reached the girl's spot, she could see Nayeon's radiating beauty. She was too blinding for her, but Mina's made up her mind. She'd do anything to reach her, no matter how difficult it was. No matter how cool or kind-hearted Jeongyeon was.

She wanted Nayeon. And she has to try.

"So, is that mine?" Nayeon looked excited, her hands were wide open, waiting for the food.

"Uh, yeah. This is from Jeongyeon unnie."

"Aaaaah! Jeongyeon really knows me." Nayeon beamed happiness. She looked around before pinching a small piece on the bread. Food wasn't allowed in the library.

Mina looked down. She was too embarrassed to say it. Her fingers were fiddled with uncertainty but she still continued. She needed to do this.

Mina swallowed thickly. "I want to get to know you...too." 

 

Nayeon concentrated on the bread in front of her, munching the piece of food with open. "Then swim with me?" 

"Eh?"

Nayeon quirked an eyebrow at her. "You want to get to know me, right? Teach me how to float in swimming. Then maybe we can eat after and talk?" 

Mina’s eyes widened. She couldn’t miss the opportunity in front of her. She replied too quickly that Nayeon seemed to notice. "Friday night?" 

Nayeon continued to eat while nodding in agreement. "Sure! It’s a date."

 

***



 

 

Sana and Momo squeezed-in their break to see Mina. However, their free time was the same time with her swimming lessons. Mina wasn't comfortable changing plans, but knowing the two, she had no choice but ask Nayeon if they could adjust their date into a later time. She hurriedly sent a message on the older girl and went to meet them at the coffee shop.

Mina was glad to see her two best friends again. She never imagined her cheeks hurting from too much smiling and laughing like this. The two girls had a special place in her heart. They gave her genuine friendship that stayed despite their distance. That’s why she was okay when they decided to transfer to South Korea. She’ll have Momo and Sana there. She’d feel safe with them. 

She hugged both of them, allowed Sana to kiss her cheeks from time to time, and even missed Momo's playful sarcasm. It looked silly for her, but she loved it. She loved them so much.

Still, she was weary of the new status of her friends. Knowing they are almost debuting, she's a little worried that people might disturb their quality time. 

They were enjoying their own company when Mina saw a glimpse of a familiar girl walking towards them. She instantly looked at her wristwatch. 

She and Nayeon were supposed to meet up two hours later at the same place. So why was she there? She hurriedly checked her phone. And saw that the status of her message was unread.

Nayeon waved her hands when their eyes met.

Mina was worried, she didn't want to spoil her time with her friends. Maybe she could tell her to come back later? 

But before she could even stand up, Nayeon was already eyeing everyone on the table.

 

"Momo? Sana?"

"Nayeon unnie?"

 

Mina watched when her best friends squealed and pulled Nayeon in for a big hug. Sana even offered a seat to her.

"You know each other?" Mina was baffled.

Momo laughed in return. "Of course! She was the official ‘Korean trainee’ in the agency." 

Nayeon hit her playfully. "Shut up. That’s not true!"

"But it is!" Sana chimed in. "Remember, you were wearing that hoodie and leggings? You had that ‘trainee’ vibes in you."

Nayeon was excited to share that and touched her hand. Mina gently smiled when she saw the two looking at the small gesture. "Mina I should tell you this--I remember the first time I saw Sana on the monthly evaluation. And she cooked on our talent portion. I just can't--"

 

Mina watched the three of them cackling, hitting the table and each other's arms. They were crying from so much laughter.

She realized Nayeon fit in their circle so easily, but she also respected them and gave her time to catch up with the two. They would look at each other from time to time.  And Mina admired how the girl understood how she missed the two and mostly watched them talk and share memories. Mina was also surprised the two didn’t seem uncomfortable with Nayeon sitting and listening to them.

Hours went fast and the two decided it’s time to leave. Nayeon asked Momo if she could help them buy food for the other traine

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter