I promise

I promise

 

To say that she’s nervous is an understatement. Her heart is beating so loud against her ears. She could almost feel how cold her hands are, a huge contrast against her person’s warm ones. She worries so much about how the next moments would go although she prepared for it for days. Thinking that everything would not go just like how she expected is making her feel more anxious.

 

“Are we there yet?” She heard her say, pulling her back from her trance. She looked back at her and saw that she still looks good even when her eyes are covered by a blindfold. However, she can already feel how impatient and frustrated she is considering that from the car ride and until now that they’re walking, she’s not allowed to take it off.

 

Yet there are the times she wanted to take a peek but she catches her in time and reiterates that patience is a virtue and it’s all for the element of surprise.

 

“Not yet.” She said, looking back at the path they’re supposed to walk. “We’re almost there.”

 

“How long are we going to walk?” She heard her complain even if they’re just walking on the pavement for a few minutes. “Where the hell are you taking me? I swear if you leave me alone in the middle of the woods as a prank, I will never forgive you.”

 

She giggled because of her lover’s imagination running wild. “Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind and try not to leave you alone here.”

 

She heard her gasp and saw how her eyebrows were almost meeting in exasperation. “Don’t you dare leave me.”

 

“Don’t worry, I have no plans to.” She reassured as she thought of the promise she did long ago. Why would she even leave her alone when she loves her so much?

 

Even if she knows fully well that the other person couldn’t see her, she smiled at her. She feels thankful that all of the things that she was worried about earlier was gone in flash because of her. She couldn’t think of anything else but just her and this moment that they will share right now.

 

“I’m going to take off your blindfold now.” She stated after she finished preparing up the whole set up and felt the cool spring wind hit their skin. She positioned herself behind her lover and carefully pulled the blindfold’s ribbon situated at the back of her lover’s head. Almost immediately, she got a reaction from her. She’s sure that she’s in awe right now with the beauty of the place.

 

“Unnie…” she heard her lover say while still looking at what’s in front of her. “Where… What…”

 

“Do you like it?” She asked while taking a seat on the picnic carpet. “Do you like the view?” She watched the younger’s back and saw her nod. She understood how her lover tends to be silent even when she’s feeling a lot and wants to say a lot. She knows because she feels the same too. But spending time with her over these years made her learn that nothing will happen if you just sit still and say nothing about how you feel.

 

“Were you surprised?” She asked the moment the younger turned around to look at her. The smile on the younger’s face is sufficient enough as an answer for her. She watched her turned around to look at the vastness of green that they’re seeing in front of them and breathe in the freshness of the air around them.

 

She still finds it amazing how they both didn’t fell when they were walking up on this hill where the oak tree is situated and how beautiful it is to see plants in front of them, so different from the usual landscape of buildings that they always see in Seoul. The tree is big enough to give them shade from the sun even if it is being covered by the clouds.

 

“So, this is why you told my secretary to clear my schedule for today huh, Hyunjung-unnie. So that we could have a picnic here, is that correct?”

 

Hyunjung could feel blood rushing up towards her face and she’s certain that her ears are burning red. She tried to keep a stern looking face but seeing her lover’s expression, so warm and bright with her smile, she ended up smiling and laughing to hide her nervousness and embarrassment away.

 

It’s been years but I still get flustered around you. Hyunjung thought to herself.

 

Part of her preparation was making sure that everything that Jiyeon is supposed to do at her work as the CEO of the rising fashion company for today is cleared and were re-scheduled on some other day, just not now. She did it with the help of Jiyeon’s secretary. And she also made sure that all of her work as an attorney at Exy’s firm is cleared for the day.

 

Without saying anything, Hyunjung tapped the space next to her on the pink and purple picnic carpet that she got, with the food that they have in the middle and the food basket in the corner. Jiyeon sat next to her. The older smiled to herself as she felt the warmth of the younger’s palm on top of her cold ones that were resting on the ground.

 

Jiyeon has always been like this, always so subtle and smooth.

 

She doesn’t make it all too obvious to the world about her feelings with grandiose and surprises that makes on lookers be jealous of them. She’s the type that makes you feel how she feels with her gestures and actions, be it as mundane as a hand holding or as melting as a deep kiss. And whatever Jiyeon does, Hyunjung’s heart is sure to flutter inside her chest.

 

“This place holds so many memories.” Jiyeon whispered to herself but Hyunjung still heard her. And it’s true; this place holds so much meaning not only for her but for the both of them.

 

Hyunjung smiled lovingly to Jiyeon before it turned into a cheeky one. “Do you remember how you fell from the tree back in spring break of high school?”

 

“Hey! I didn’t fall from the tree. I only lost balance back then.” Jiyeon whined which made Hyunjung heartily laugh.

 

“You’re lucky I was kind of ready to catch you before.”

 

---

 

Hyunjung immediately woke up as soon as she heard her alarm clock go off. She looked at it with wide eyes as she realized that it was already late in the afternoon and someone made a prank on her. She doesn’t remember changing her clock’s time. She thinks that it could be her older sister’s fault. But either way, she needs to get up.

 

She remembers that she ought to visit the place that she usually goes to during spring and winter break just to see if there was someone waiting for her.

 

It has been years but she still couldn’t forget about the promise she made to someone when she was still young. All that she knows was that the girl was a year younger than her and had a pretty smile and long silky hair. However, she has forgotten the name and how she looked like but she thinks that she’ll be able to tell that it’s her if she sees her.

 

For years, she hasn’t met anyone under the oak tree, yet she still waits for them to arrive. Sometimes, wonders if the person she was looking for is still the same after all these years or if did they ever change.

 

As part of her tradition (and in finding for the person she made a promise to), she’ll spend the rest of the next two weeks visiting their place and wait under the shade of the oak tree while reading a book.

 

“I’ll be back later before sunset.” Hyunjung said to her mom before rushing out of their house.

 

It wasn’t that far from their current home actually. It only took her a few minutes until she arrived at the top of the hill and saw the big old oak tree waiting for her.

 

She sighed as she noticed that no one is there. She walked towards the tree and leaned onto it as she sat underneath its shade. Thankfully, she brought the book that she was currently reading, it was amusing to read about soulmates and having a red string attached a person’s finger in a single book. She wasn’t exactly a fan of novels however, her friend, Eunseo, recommended it to her. That’s why she gave it a try.

 

Hyunjung was reading silently when she heard a noise. It’s not the usual rustling of the leaves that are swaying with the wind but it was a sound of a person talking. She couldn’t make out the words that she was hearing for it was all gibberish but she’s sure that there was someone there with her.

 

And as Hyunjung, she stood up, closed the book, and looked in front of her. She looked at the plantation in front of her and scanned to where her sight could take her. There was no one in sight. She carefully walked around the tree and there was still no one. She could feel herself getting a little scared because of all the times she went here, this is the first time she encounters hearing a voice (and she didn’t know that ghosts could haunt someone while the sun is still out).

 

Seeing that no one is there, she went back to her place and sat down again. She tries to calm down her scared heart by breathing deeply. And that’s when she heard a yawn.

 

She followed the recipient of the sound and saw that there was a girl on the tree, leaning against it and her eyes were closed. It suddenly sunk to her why she couldn’t see anyone in the ground level because they were up above eyesight. Hyunjung thought that the girl looks pretty even while sleeping.

 

Hyunjung carefully stood up, afraid to disturb the stranger. She noticed that the unfamiliar person is wearing a white long sleeve shirt and denim jeans. To know how and why she managed to get up in the tree will remain unknown to Hyunjung. But for all she knows, the person is already awake now.

 

“I’m still so sleepy.” Hyunjung heard her yawn. “What time is it?”

 

“It’s 4:50 in the afternoon.” Hyunjung answered. She watched as the stranger get surprised and looked down below her.

 

“I didn’t expect that there would be a person here.” The person said. “What’s your name?”

 

“Why should I give you my name?” Hyunjung said, being careful of the stranger. She thinks that maybe it came off a little bit serious instead of being light. She’s just wary of strangers. That’s all. But she thinks that the girl looks way too kind to be someone she should be cautious of.

 

“Because I asked you?” The person softly said before breaking into a sweet smile. “I swear, I’m not harmful or anything. I’m just here because of something I recalled years ago.”

 

“What’s that?” Hyunjung asked, her curiosity getting to the best of her.

 

“Why should I tell you when you didn’t even tell me your name?” The stranger smiled.

 

“Touché.” Hyunjung muttered underneath her breath. “Hyunjung.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“My name is Hyunjung. Kim Hyunjung.” She said while still looking up at the tree, her neck starting to feel tired from doing so.

 

“That’s a pretty name.” The stranger smiled at her once again. “I’m Jiyeon. Kim Jiyeon.”

 

“Would you please come down the tree first because my neck is starting to hurt...” Hyunjung complained.

 

“Alright, because you kindly asked,” Jiyeon lightly chuckled.

 

Hyunjung watched the girl move her body to descend from the tree. Jiyeon’s back was facing her while her arms were still gripping on the branches. Hyunjung saw that there was a bee near Jiyeon and thought that everything would be okay and Jiyeon would land safely on the ground.

 

But she was wrong.

 

Jiyeon panicked and her hand unclasped from the trees branch and she also lost her footing. Hyunjung, feeling her adrenaline rush hit her body like a wave, immediately ran to try and catch the girl from falling. However, she was too late. The girl already fell and landed first on the ground. Hyunjung felt thankful that her fall wasn’t that high and that Jiyeon didn’t suffer from injuries.

 

“That hurts.” Jiyeon winced as she processes the pain of colliding into the ground. “I’ll never sleep on that tree ever again.”

 

Hyunjung tried her best to suppress a smile and a chuckle but she couldn’t. Not when Jiyeon is looking cute while trying to stand up and rubbing her back where it hurts but ended up still sitting down. Hyunjung smiled because she thought that it was funny how someone fell from a tree for a first meeting.

 

“Why are you laughing?” Jiyeon asked, her voice was playful and her eyes were dancing along with the golden rays of the now setting sun. Now that Jiyeon was closer to her, she could see how her eyes were dancing along with the golden rays of the setting sun. How her jawline were defined. How her hair perfectly framed her small face and how cute her gummy smile is.

 

Hyunjung thinks that if Jiyeon was pretty when she had her eyes close, she’s even prettier now that she’s awake.

 

“Nothing.” Hyunjung walked towards her and carefully helped her stand up. She held out her hand and waited for Jiyeon to hold it. Jiyeon stared at her hand and tilted her head as if asking ‘what the hell is this?’ and Hyunjung simply raised her eyebrows as if saying ‘I’ll help you stand up’.

 

Seemingly, the other girl understood and held Hyunjung’s hand. Hyunjung felt something funny inside her stomach and thought that maybe it was because she’s hungry now. She helped Jiyeon stand up and when Jiyeon successfully stood up, Hyunjung took back her hand immediately.

 

“Thank you.” Jiyeon said.

 

“It’s nothing, really.” Hyunjung said, she looked around and saw that the sky is already on its covered with deep orange and a hint of red and pink. “Will you be here tomorrow?”

 

“I think so.” Jiyeon answered. “Why?”

 

“Okay, great. It’s sad to say that I need to go now because of my curfew.”

 

“You have curfew?”

 

“Yeah. Before sunset.” Hyunjung smiled sheepishly with her hands scratching her nape. “I was wondering if you would tell me the story you were about to share tomorrow?”

 

Jiyeon looked at her questioningly with her squinted and focused eyes. “Oh you mean the recall thing?”

 

“Yeah.” Hyunjung nodded.

 

“Sure. I’ll wait for you here.”

 

---

 

“What do you mean? You didn’t even catch me.” Jiyeon laughed, her eyes were barely seen and her eyebrows were expressing just how happy she is.

 

“But I was really ready to catch you back then. Gravity was just faster than me.”

 

“Whatever you say.” Jiyeon scrunched her nose to Hyunjung and the older girl lightly pinched Jiyeon’s nose.

 

Hyunjung stopped bothering Jiyeon’s nose as soon as she saw Jiyeon furrowing her eyebrows, but not without poking her nose for the last time. As soon as she did that, silence took over them.

 

For all the years that they spent together, they both know when to speak and when to let silence and actions become the louder ones. And for all those years, Hyunjung learned that silence isn’t so bad after all. Because of the stillness between them, they could hear the leaves dancing along to the music of the wind. The birds were singing their songs. Hyunjung didn’t mind the silence between them. It was even relaxing and comforting.

 

When she’s with Jiyeon, even the silence feels like home.

 

Hyunjung felt Jiyeon’s hand on top of her grip her hand a little tighter. Jiyeon usually does this whenever she’s happy or when she’s nervous. And every time she does it with Hyunjung, the meaning changes and if Hyunjung is asked right now what it meant for her, this means that she’s here for me.

 

“Do you remember what I said to you when we were like five?” Hyunjung started, breaking the quiet between them.

 

Jiyeon looked at her lover and saw a pair of brown eyes, which were pulling her in, staring back at her. She swears that Hyunjung doesn’t know just how badly she wanted to melt every time Hyunjung looks at her like that, as if Jiyeon bears the entire universe inside her eyes and as if Jiyeon is the only woman Hyunjung would ever look at with love struck eyes (which Jiyeon knows is true).

 

“Yeah, I remember.”

 

---

 

Jiyeon has never traveled outside of Daegu. And when she heard that her mother will visit her uncle who lives near Seoul, she begged her parents to let her come with her mother. Fortunately, her wish was granted.

 

They went there at the beginning of spring break and they are to go back before her classes start. When they got there, Jiyeon spent her time running around the place even when her mother told her not to wander around for who knows what might happen. Jiyeon has always been a loving child to her parents, not bringing them headaches and she was independent as a child but she wanted to explore and have fun on her own too. Even if it was just temporary.

 

One day, she ended up following a path as she was just following the side pavements that were full of beautiful flowers. And all that she knew was she was already at the top of a hill, with a big oak tree in the middle and in front she could see different plants.

 

And that’s when first met Hyunjung.

 

Hyunjung was sitting under the shade of the tree when Jiyeon arrived. She was just there looking at the view in front of her and Jiyeon felt like she was trespassing. Jiyeon thought that the girl didn’t see her but unfortunately, she was seen.

 

“Hey. You there. Come here” The girl under the tree called out. Jiyeon felt complied to obey. “How old are you?”

 

“I’m five.” Jiyeon answered with her eyes looking at the ground. She feels sorry for stepping inside an unknown zone.

 

“You’re a year younger than me.” The girl was looking at her as if inspecting her. “Do you want to be my friend?”

 

Jiyeon looked at her questioningly for she didn’t quite expect that question to be thrown at her. “Me?”

 

“Yes. You,” the older girl sighed. “All of my friends are currently out of town and I have no one to play with. Do you want to be my friend?” The girl restated her question.

 

“Uhh…sure, I’ll be your friend.”

 

It was the beginning of a friendship between the two of them. Jiyeon began going to the oak tree every day for two weeks just to play with Hyunjung and sometimes they sleep and talk about stuff too. They talked about where Jiyeon came from, what they’ve seen, their dreams, and anything that came to their minds.

 

And Jiyeon’s young mind, she knows that the older girl is pretty, gentle, and kind. She takes care of Jiyeon a lot especially when they’re playing tag even if it’s just the two of them. And Jiyeon had a hard time trying to find a way to say goodbye to her friend which she became so close to in just a span of two weeks.

 

Jiyeon wanted to play with her more, talk to her more, and simply just spend time with her more because Hyunjung is interesting enough. And that’s why when she told the older girl that she needs to go back to Daegu by tomorrow morning, Jiyeon felt sad but the older girl wasn’t.

 

Instead, Jiyeon watched the older stand up and go down the hill. The younger hear the older telling her to just stay there and that’s what she did. She waited for the older to come back while she began to think that maybe Hyunjung doesn’t her as a friend.

 

Jiyeon was about to cry when Hyunjung came back with a flower on her hand and gave it to Jiyeon. When Jiyeon confronted Hyunjung about it, it was an azalea and Hyunjung was wishing for Jiyeon to come back someday. Young Jiyeon was shocked that the older girl knows that much already but what Hyunjung said next shocked her even more.

 

“I want to marry you in the future.”

 

Jiyeon was too stunned to even react to such statement. She only looked at Hyunjung while gazing at the opened palm of the older in front of her. There were two paper rings at the top of Hyunjung’s hand.

 

“You’re fun to be with and you laugh at my jokes. And you’re also pretty too. We’d play all day and have fun together when we grow old.” Hyunjung said.  Jiyeon thought that she wanted to play all day with Hyunjung too and that’s why she said yes.

 

Hyunjung took the pink paper ring and put slid it onto the younger’s ring finger. “Come back here someday. I’ll marry you. I promise.”

 

It ended up a little too big for Jiyeon’s finger. She ended up holding it and putting it on her necklace as a pendant that day. And that’s when she swore to Hyunjung that she will go back just to marry her.

 

---

 

Jiyeon looked at the pink paper ring that was situated at her ring finger. It’s been with her for years and it was astonishing that when she grew up, the paper ring fits perfectly on her. She rarely used it as a ring except for moments like this with Hyunjung because she just felt like it.

 

A lot happened between those years when they were separated. Everything felt like it was being back to its rightful place when Jiyeon went to high school in Seoul and met Hyunjung during spring break. Before they wanted to marry each other for the petty reasons but now it has completely changed. They talked about it before if they were to marry each other it’s not only because of a promise they made when they were young but because, they want to grow together too for the rest of their life.

 

And the rest was history.

 

“Say Jiyeon-ah.” Hyunjung took her left hand and raised it. She took out the box that was sitting inside her pocket for the longest time now and opened it; it contained a one carat diamond ring. “Would you like to grow old and fulfill our promises with me?”

 

And just like that she let the words roll off her tongue. Gone were the long monologue she prepared and went straight to the point.

 

Hyunjung waited for a response and all that she knew was feeling soft lips against her lips and a hand caressing her cheeks. Hyunjung was dumbfounded with the younger’s sudden action but got back to her senses and returned the kiss. She could almost hear words and sentences every time Jiyeon’s lips were against her, as if writing poems on her body. She held Jiyeon by her waist and pulled her closer, urging her to deepen the kiss.

 

What Jiyeon is to Hyunjung is like a notebook filled of handwritten poetry. There are pages that are filled with words. Some pages have poetry written shorter than the others. Yet they’re still poems that make up the entire notebook, all by one author. Hyunjung continues to read along between the pages and its lines just to understand what it means, because every written detail is important and she doesn’t want to miss it. And when she finishes reading the notebook, she proceeds to wait and read the poetry that Jiyeon will give because Jiyeon is every metaphor and simile that she has ever read and written. And Hyunjung wants to continue being the first one to read and understand Jiyeon’s poems until they’re unable to touch their own toes.

 

To Hyunjung, Jiyeon is more than a poet and a muse.

 

It took every inch of Hyunjung to stop kissing Jiyeon before things escalate to something else. When she pulled away, they were both breathless and Hyunjung rested her forehead against her lover’s as they both catch their breath.

 

“Yes.”