postcard

postcard - sachaeng
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Their story starts off like this: two souls not entirely searching for one another, but either way, they ended up finding each other.

 

Frankly, Sana wasn’t looking for anyone at the moment. She wanted to enjoy her life. Who doesn’t want to, though? For now, she didn’t want to be tied down to any kind of commitment considering that she transferred to a new university.

 

She’s an extrovert. Everybody loved her and was swayed by her charms. Unlike two of her friends back home, she was the one who always initiated conversations and hang-outs. Although, being an extrovert had its downsides, like now, she’s the only one who transferred because her friends didn’t like too many people. They didn’t like to party much like Sana did.

 

“I wish you guys were here with me,” Sana pouted even though she knows her two friends couldn’t see. “I told you, girls, that we’ll guide each other here, but nope, the two of you chose that old and crappy school full of the same people.”

 

Momo laughs on the other end, and she can hear Mina giggling too. “Oh, c’mon. We have two transferees this year! It’s not always old.”

 

“I only have one rule,” Sana says, and the two roll their eyes. “New is always better.”

 

“You always say that,” Mina now speaks up. “We’d love to go with you, but it’s really not my environment.”

 

“Me too,” Momo chimes in. “I like sticking with my routine, thank you very much.”

 

“Whatever. You guys are missing out,” Sana says playfully.

 

“Oh, Sana! Remember the friend I told you about?”

 

“Which one? Me and Mina are your only friends!”

 

Momo groans. “I’m not antisocial. Just shy.”

 

“Sure.”

 

“Anyway, the one I met from League. She told me she’s going to study there, too!” she ignores Sana’s sarcasm. “You guys might be roomies. Who knows?”

 

“Okay, the girl you met from League,” Sana walks down the hall, turning left. “Care to put a name on her?”

 

“Right,” Momo scratches her head, and Mina laughs. “Her name is Son Chaeyoung. She’s really cool, and I think the two of you will hit it off.”

 

“I don’t think we have the same program though?” she replies, taking a look at her classes which the university provided with names of the other students. “She’s not on the list.”

 

“I said roomies, not classmates,” Momo rolls her eyes. “What’s your room number? She told me hers is 831.”

 

“No way…” Sana stopped in her tracks, already by her room.

 

831.

 

“You’re serious?” she can’t believe it. “Mina, go check if it’s her serious face.”

 

“It is,” Mina simply says. “...God, it’s your room too, isn’t it?”

 

“Oh, believe me, I’m surprised too.”

 

“Oh, ,” Momo laughs at her. “I love this. I really do.”

 

Sana grunts. “Of course you do.”

 

“I’m chatting with her right now! Please be nice, please,” she pleads jokingly.

 

“God, I hate you so much,” Sana screams internally, fixing herself a bit.

 

“No you don’t,” the girl from the other line says. “Enjoy! Tell me all about her.”

 

“I will,” Sana sighs. “Gotta go. Talk to you guys later!”

 

They hang up, and Sana knocks on the door lightly, checking if her roommate is already inside.

 

“Is that my roomie?” the girl inside says. “Come in! It’s open.”

 

Sana opens the door and is faced with an incredibly adorable woman. She’s shorter than Sana and has short jetblack hair, wearing an AC/DC t-shirt and ripped jeans, along with a pair of Dr. Martens. “Hey, roomie. I’m Sana!”

 

The other girl smiles. “Son Chaeyoung! Momo told me a lot about you.”

 

“I’m sure she did,” Sana chuckles. “You two met playing a game?”

 

Chaeyoung was on her side of the room, unpacking. “Yeah. She’s really good at it, I can’t relate.”

 

“I’m sure you’re good too,” Sana smiles, unpacking her stuff as well.

 

“Oh, shoot!” the shorter girl exclaims. “Do you prefer this side of the room? I just started unpacking because I’m so excited.”

 

Sana blushes a bit. Cute. “No, no, it’s fine! I can take this side instead.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“A hundred percent,” she replies, taking out her sheets. “So, want to tell me about yourself?”

 

“Sure. Only if you’ll do the same after,” Chaeyoung sends her a smile. “Uh, I like to play games and solve math equations.”

 

“What?”

 

“Oh, I solve math during my free time,” she says once more. “...Kidding, I’d rather sleep than listen to two hours of calculus.”

 

Sana laughs. “I’d do the same. I believe my physio subject will kill me.”

 

“So, I’ve heard,” she says, getting up to tape her posters on her side of the wall. “I also like watching movies. Good thing this university has a television with netflix on it.”

 

“Wait, really?”

 

“To which one I said?”

 

They both laugh. “To the television with netflix.”

 

“Oh, yeah. There’s already an account logged in,” Chaeyoung grabs the remote control and turns on the television. Soon enough, the two of them forgot all about unpacking and watched instead.

 

The two of them had spent hours watching romcoms and getting to know each other, without realizing it, they checked the time and it was already around 8PM, and they had no progress in unpacking. Deciding that the two of them were hungry, they ordered burgers and promised to finish unpacking once they downed these burgers.

 

Later on, the duo were asking about each other. Asking what program they were taking up - Chaeyoung is taking up a degree in BS Aerospace Engineering, while Sana is going to start her pre-med with Medical Technology.

 

Despite their differences, Sana believes that they will become close roommates who would rely on each other. Especially knowing that universities are tough and they would both want emotional support from anyone. Sana finds comfort in clingy people, though, Chaeyoung told her that she wasn’t that clingy, she promised that she wouldn’t refuse Sana’s hugs and other forms of showing affection.

 

Whatever the two of them needed, they would provide if they can.

 

As they ate, Sana finds it funny how you just randomly meet people. The universe is massive, but as it turns out, the world is pretty much small.

 

Sana then wonders if this is fate.

 

-

 

The first few days of being roommates with Chaeyoung was kind of awkward for Sana.

 

She wasn’t used to the quiet atmosphere that engulfs them. Sana misses her two friends back in Japan, longing for them each time that passes.

 

Sure, the first time the two roommates met, they ate and watched Netflix, but after that, the energy died down and Sana didn’t know if it was her or Chaeyoung.

 

They do exchange a few words every morning, but that’s about it. Sana wanted to get to know her more. All she knew was she was Momo’s online friend and that she loved burgers and fries as much as she did. Sana wanted to know if she liked to party as well, wanted to know her true self, her deepest, darkest secrets.

 

The reason behind this is because Sana found comfort in strangers she meets at parties. It was somehow better to open up to them rather than her closest friends because there are things she refuses to tell her loved ones. But with strangers, you can be awfully blunt with them and they wouldn’t judge you.

 

Even if they did judge you, they still don’t know you either way.

 

She heard the door click, signaling that Chaeyoung was back and that she didn’t have any classes. “Hey Sana.”

 

“Hey, how was class?” Sana asked to prolong the conversation instead of just greeting her.

 

Chaeyoung places her bag on the floor and plops down on her bed. “Tiring as usual. I love math, but it tires me out so much.”

 

“How can a person this small have a big brain and love math?” Sana jokes, and the other girl laughs.

 

“Wow, attacking my height now, are we?” Chaeyoung retorts playfully. “How about you? How’s your classes?”

 

“Tiring as well. So much to memorize and to understand.”

 

“Well, you’re gonna be the best doctor out there some day and I know it,” Chaeyoung replies with enthusiasm. “I’ll be your first patient. Is doctor Minatozaki in?”

 

Sana laughs at her. “Why would you want to have a heart problem?”

 

“Oh, I thought you’re gonna be a pediatrician or something.”

 

“Well, that was my initial plan because I love kids,” Sana explains. “But I’m leaning onto heart surgeries and all that. I want to take care of those people with fragile hearts.”

 

“That’s inspiring. I now wish I had a reason why I want to become a pilot.”

 

“To let people see the world?”

 

“That works too.” Sana smiles at her answer.

 

As time passed by, the duo became closer. The conversations Sana thought that would stay dry and had no substance would last for a long while, but Chaeyoung was a talkative person when you ask her questions.

 

Chaeyoung could go on hours talking and Sana would simply listen and give her own input. They immediately clicked after exchanging a few awkward conversations.

 

Sana wonders how this one will go.

 

-

 

Sana is drunk.

 

After a few months of being cooped up in their dormitory, Sana was able to go to a party that one of her classmates hosted. They got her at “we have booze!”

 

Initially, she was supposed to stay in with Chaeyoung and watch another movie or play League on her laptop. She was teaching Sana how to play so she could play with Momo and Mina back home, and surprisingly, she was enjoying it. However, she missed how she was able to let loose, dancing on tables, interacting with strangers, and of course, having liquor wash down .

 

She invited Chaeyoung to tag along, but she did promise that after her finals she’d play with Momo, so she stayed in instead. It was kind of a bummer because she was planning on confessing her feelings at the party after the alcohol had kicked in.

 

Although Sana drinks most of the time, she didn’t exactly have the highest tolerance out there. So, she impulsively calls her roommate up after a few shots, and shoots her shot.

 

“Chaeyoung!” she slurs out. “I have something to tell you.”

 

“Hey, Sana. Wait Momo, I’ll fall back, Sana called,” Chaeyoung says. She still must be playing with Momo. “What’s up?”

 

“I like you,” Sana admits without missing a beat. “Ever since we’ve gotten closer, I’ve been catching feelings for you. I don’t need you to reciprocate, I’ll be okay if you want to change roommates, but I just wanted to tell you because I can’t keep it in for much longer.”

 

“Oh…” Chaeyoung says, blushing, knowing Sana couldn’t see her, her smile was so wide that it re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter