Audience of One

Wan Shot Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Aish… Why is it so hot…"

 

Irene laid spread eagle on her lavender satin sheets in an attempt to keep her body separated as much as possible. She would normally turn on the air conditioning to regulate the temperature, but it decided to crap out on her not too long ago.

 

"Summer's almost over, I said. I can wait until next year, I said. Idiot."

 

Talking to herself, scolding herself, making fun of herself by using an annoying voice... Her brain was assuredly overheating. In her defense, Korea isn't exactly known for having their yearly highs at the END OF SEPTEMBER. 

 

"AHHH."

 

She screamed and kicked and essentially threw a tantrum like a spoiled brat. Was it shameful for a woman her age to be whining like a child? She would say no, no it's not. It is just that hot. Was she embarrassed that all that thrashing about simply got her more worked up and heated? Yes, yes she was.

 

As she returned to her vegetated state and her heart calmed back to a normal pace, she heard the remnants of voice. It was quiet, but in the completely silent room, it stood out. Irene kicked up to a seated position and was inexplicably drawn towards the sound. She jumped off her bed and stopped every few steps to listen in. The clearer and louder it got, the more she was drawn in like a fly to light. She was now at her door with her firmly pressed against the wood, trying her best to listen to the sound.

 

It was hard to hear, but echoey halls amplified the sound and she managed to hear a music accompaniment with the voice. Someone is singing. The instance she opened her door for a better listen, she recognized the voice.

 

"Seungwan?"

 

Irene was perplexed. Wendy was supposed to be with her parents so she shouldn't be hanging around the dorm, but it was so clearly her voice. Even with a wall between her and the source of the sound, Irene would never mistake the woman's voice. She has listened to that voice a million times, both during work and on her own personal time. She loved Wendy's voice.

 

Lost in her thoughts, Irene didn't realize the vice grip she had on her door's handle. She was so focused on trying to understand why she could hear her favorite voice that she didn't notice how her heart was slowly beating faster. She wanted to hear that voice clearly, uninhibited.

 

Without hesitation, Irene swung her door completely open and let her ears guide the way to the voice. She was led to Joy's room and didn't even consider knocking before barging in.

 

"Unnie!"

 

Joy's scolding scream snapped her out of her reverie only to find the girl was topless.

 

"Sooyoung, what the heck. Where's your shirt?"

 

"I was changing! You didn't even knock!" Joy quickly threw on a shirt.

 

Irene took note of where she was and looked back torwards her room. She had no recollection of her journey across the hall. She was entranced. 

 

It didn't matter.

 

"Now… What do you want, Unnie?"

 

"Hope you guys like that song. It always gives me a surge of strength when I need it."

 

"That!" Irene spotted the phone that currently housed Wendy's beautiful face, albeit covered mostly by a hat. "What are you watching?!" Irene pointed. 

 

"Huh? Wendy Unnie? She is doing an IG Live? Liks the ones she used to always do."

 

"She's what!?"

 

In a flash, Irene sprinted back towards her room and dove head first onto her bed to reach the night stand on the other side. She was charging her phone so when she yoinked it from its place, the wire attached to it spilled the glass of ice water she had on her night stand.

 

"Aish…" Irene glanced at the wet spot on her floor before turning to her phone. "Whatever, it's already wet." She murmured, ignoring her better instincts. She then unlocked her phone and opened up Instagram to find her favorite singer. She took in the home page for a moment and then it donned on her. "...How do I... view the live…"

 

Irene stared at the app for a few more moments, lost and confused. "… Yerim is going to yell at me… Why are there symbols instead of words! Just take me to Seungwan's Instalive! Siri! Take me to Seungwannie's insta!"

 

Nothing.

 

Irene contemplates asking someone to show her again, but she couldn't take that hit to her pride again. Not after the names, laughing fits, and pointing of fingers. Even Seulgi joined in on the teasing and Irene was not going to go through that again.

 

Instead, another idea came to mind. Judging from the quick glimpse she got from Joy's phone, Wendy was at the company. Determined not to miss a minute more than she had to, she chucked on a sweatshirt, grabbed her necessities, and left a puff of wind in her wake. In record time, she made it to the front doors of SM.

 

As she entered the building, she was greeted by the few workers still remaining in the building, probably on their last hour of their shift considering the time. She politely bowed to the friendly staff, but never slowed her quickened pace towards the room that housed her- their main vocalist. She cursed the size of the building as she traversed stairs and halls alike, but the second she heard her voice, she froze.

 

"She's still going."

 

Irene stated matter of factly, but as her lips curled into the most genuine smile, her true feelings were revealed. She figured Wendy would be going on for a while, but she was going to hate herself if she missed it.

 

Compared to her once brisk pace, she took it a step at a time. With each step, it felt like her heart pounded against her chest, trying to escape. She didn't understand why she felt so nervous about it. She had heard the girl sing a million times and she would gladly listen a million more times if she asked, but something about this scenario made her heart race. 

 

She hoped Wendy would be receptive to her presence. She worried Wendy wouldn't want her there. She knows these lives are her way of communicating with their fans, but she is a fan too, is she not? She also didn't want to make the girl nervous and having a live audience might not help. But no matter how many concerns she had, no matter how afraid she was of hurting the girl, her body kept moving forward. She was far too charmed to stop now. 

 

The moment she stepped into the room and saw Wendy singing her heart out, she was mesmerized. Wendy always puts her heart and soul into every word she sings and it shows. Anyone with ears could hear the passion that exuded from her every pore. This was why Wendy's voice was her favorite voice and Irene planned on listening to it for a lifetime.

 

Halfway through an English song Irene didn't understand the lyrics to, Wendy finally caught wind of Irene's presence and immediately stopped her performance. Irene could see the surprise in Wendy's eyes and it made Irene tremble. This was what she was afraid of. She was an intruder to her private concert and potentially ruined it for everyone. Wendy had finally gained the courage to return to her lives and Irene destroyed it all.

 

"Uhh… Give me second guys, I need to take care of something real quick."

 

Wendy inf

Please log in to read the full chapter