fin

Cafe and Crush

“Are you sitting here to try and seem important?” Joy teases, waking Wendy out of her concentration. Joy is giggling as she places Wendy’s usual flat white on the table, carefully avoiding all paperwork Wendy has scattered in front of her. She was trying to make sure everything was in order before the new month comes in and Joy was just bothering her. She frowns at the younger.

 

 

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” she grumbles, swatting the air Joy just vacated to avoid the abuse. “Shouldn’t you be working or something?”

 

 

 

Joy pulls a face at her, ignoring her comment completely. “I know you’re actually here to spy on your Princess Charming . She is here with a toddler and you can’t resist, can you?”

 

 

 

Wendy attacks again but yet again Joy avoids her. Okay, maybe it was true. Maybe she was out here in the middle of summer at one of the corners, pretending to do a lot of work because she couldn’t see that woman who has insisted to sit outside on this particularly sunny day. She glances at Princess Charming as Joy has so kindly pointed out.

 

 

 

“I’m doing no such thing.” She mumbles in reply which elicits a louder laugh from Joy.

 

 

 

“Well, I’ll just leave you to your useless pining here. Tell me when you finally decide to introduce yourself,” Joy says, preparing herself to leave but Wendy catches her wrist just in time. She pulls Joy down so she can whisper to her so the other customers couldn’t hear.

 

 

 

“Do you think that’s her child?” Wendy asked, unable to mask the slight nervousness in her voice.

 

 

 

Joy glances at them. The child must only be 4 years old or younger. Her laughter of glee as her ‘probable’ mother pretends to fall over herself to catch the ball her ‘probable’ daughter has thrown at her. The sight is heartwarming to look at yet Wendy’s stomach churns uncomfortably.

 

 

 

Wendy’s thoughts spirals to the possibility that the child was Princess Charming’s and the possibility that it was likely that there was a partner somewhere out there. Which reduces all those days that Wendy had spent pining on the very gorgeous, most probably straight and married Princess Charming who orders her morning coffee dressed in unnecessarily gorgeous business attire or accompanied by her colleagues during lunch break, to useless pining. Wendy should have known and yet here she was, out in the hot sun to get more than a glimpse of her mystery woman. 

 

 

 

Princess Charming (curse Joy now she can’t drop the nickname) had only ever made an appearance on weekdays. So when she was here, early on a Saturday morning, Wendy was caught off-guard. Throw in a four year old in the mix and Wendy was basically a hot mess.

 

 

 

“Doesn’t she look a little too young to be a mother?” Joy finally answered, sending Wendy a slightly worried look.

 

 

 

“You think?” Wendy doesn’t dare hope but Joy grows more worried and it just makes her feel a little guilty. Was it bad that she was falling way too fast?

 

 

 

“I don’t know, Wendy,” Joy says. “Talk to her. She is a regular after all. It’s good to introduce yourself to regular customers. It’s good for business.”

 

 

 

Wendy nods, resigned. She couldn’t walk there and just introduce herself. It was hard enough to talk to strangers on the daily. It would be worse to try to sound coherent in front of her crush.

 

 

 

Wendy nearly falls over her makeshift chair when a bouncy ball hits her on the side of her head. The force of the hit wasn’t likely to make her tip over (she would like to think she was stronger than that) but she somehow manages to find focus that it had caught her off guard. She turns to where the bouncy ball has bounced off after righting the unsteady stool under her, just in time to catch the small girl chasing the bright lime green ball completely unperturbed that her ball had almost whacked her head off.

 

 

 

Her heart stutters as she realizes that it was her. Well not her, but her child. Sure enough, she sees Princess Charming running towards her with a panicked look on her face. 

 

 

 

“Sorry about that!” she calls when she was close enough. “It’s new so she gets a little obsessive about it.” Her eyes follow the motion of the girl with a fond look on her face. Wendy follows the line of her gaze and something in her stomach churns.

 

 

 

“Yerim-ah!” she calls, and the girl immediately pauses to turn to look the woman. “Apologize to her! You hit her!”

 

 

 

“I’m sorry, Miss!” she says cutely, then going back to bouncing the lime green ball.

 

 

 

“I’m truly sorry. Did it hurt?” the beautiful woman turns to her, concern immediately replacing the fond expression. Damn, she is so gorgeous in her light grey sweater and casual trousers a contrast to the usual business attire she dons on her usual coffee fix.

 

 

 

“No. It’s alright,” Wendy answers a little hastily, touching where the ball hit her, placatingly. She pauses trying to contain her curiosity but it gets the better of her. “Is she yours?”

 

 

 

She mentally crosses her fingers hoping that it isn’t. Maybe it was her niece or cousin or some friends child. Her eyes scan for a ring but there was none. Hopefully, it meant something.

 

 

 

“Yeah, she is.  Bae Yerim, 4 years old.” the woman smiles proudly, dimples forming on her gorgeous face. It’s unfair how that adorable smile breaks Wendy’s heart. Wendy should have known a good-looking lady like her would never be available. She withholds the frown threatening to show in reaction to her answer. It’s alright. She can be civil. Princess Charming was still a regular. She could not lose customers over a one-sided crush. She definitely needs to get over herself.

 

 

 

“You aren’t working at the counter today?” she says, snapping Wendy out of her musings. Wendy feels a wave of excitement when she realizes that Princess Charming remembers her. At least enough to know that she was usually behind the counters.

 

 

 

She shakes her head in reply. “The morning rush just died down, so Joy has everything under control. Someone has to organize the roster for next month.”

 

 

 

“Oh, you’re the manager.” She says, looking slightly surprised.

 

 

 

“No, I’m actually the owner.” Wendy cringes slightly, wishing she didn’t have to correct her, hoping it didn’t come off like she was showing off. She hated that.

 

 

 

“Sorry, I didn’t realize…” Princess Charming hangs her sentence awkwardly.

 

 

 

“It’s alright.” Wendy stands from the wobbly chair, noting to herself that it needs replacing. “Let’s start again. Nice to meet you, I’m Wendy. Owner of ReVe Cafe.” Wendy smiles her best professional smile, extending her hand. That’s right. Joy said she should introduce herself to her regular customers. She was only doing what was good for her business. She mentally pats her own back.

 

 

 

Princess Charming smiles, her eyes turning into beautiful crescents that kinda make Wendy’s heart skip beats.

 

 

 

“Hello, Wendy. I’m Bae Irene, single mother to the rascal that hit your head with a ball, Bae Yerim. Nice to meet you too.”

 

 

 

Irene grasps her hand firmly shaking it and on contact Wendy wants to melt into the ground from the force of single mother Irene’s smile.

 

 

 

Bae Yerim, daughter of Irene, is four years old. Wendy tries not to think so hard about it because obviously she had no chance whatsoever. She was too gorgeous, not to mention probably straight considering the existence of Bae Yerim.

 

 

 

It’s only a few days later that they arrive again at Wendy’s cafe, late into the night for something to eat. Wendy tries not to bother the mother and daughter bonding time but Irene is patient and affectionate with her daughter and it is impossible not to stare (hopefully discreetly). Irene patiently listens to her daughter explaining what she drew and her selection of colours, joining her daughter in colouring despite only half-heartedly doing it. When its sufficiently late enough, Irene gather their things and walks to the cashier, where Wendy pretends she wasn’t eagerly waiting.

 

 

 

“Eomma, can I please have the rainbow cake. Please.” Irene frowns at her daughter, checking her watch before speaking. It was an hour till closing and Wendy guesses way past Yerim’s bedtime. Irene was still dressed in her work attire, her shirt wrinkled, sleeves folded haphazardly, clear signs of tiredness on her features and yet still looked in her own way, gorgeous. How do humans this perfect exist?

 

 

 

“It’s late, Yerim. If you eat it now you’ll have a tummy ache.” Irene tries to sound firm but it comes out appeasing. She picks up Yerim from the ground and cuddles her close to her arms when the little girl frowns.

 

 

 

“Can we come again tomorrow to get the rainbow cake?” She asks, eyes turning glassy with both tiredness and sadness from being denied rainbow cake.

 

 

 

Irene glances at Wendy who was perched on the counter, looking at the exchange, ready to bid them good night the moment Irene had packed up all their things. She then turns to Yerim, voice full of regret, “You have school tomorrow, baby.”

 

 

 

Yerim’s eyes water and the beginnings of a temper tantrum surface on her face. Irene starts bouncing her in her arms, sending an exasperated look at Wendy. Irene’s efforts, however, are wasted when Yerim lets out a loud cry. Irene tries and husshes her to no avail.

 

 

 

“Hey, hey, Yerim. Don’t cry. Do you like the rainbow cakes?” Wendy asks, reaching for Yerim’s small arm from where Irene was carrying her. A teary Yerim nods.

 

 

 

“If you are a good girl and listen to your mom, I’ll give you all the rainbow cakes you want on Saturday for free. Hows that sound?”

 

 

 

“On Saturday?” she asks, adorably rubbing her eyes with her clenched fist. Wendy nods.

 

 

 

“As many as I like?”

 

 

 

“As many as you can eat!” Wendy says a little bit exaggeratingly that has Yerim smiling a little. She glanced nervously at Irene, but the latter was just smiling, watching her daughter with the same fond look Wendy has seen countless times before.

 

 

 

“Ok.” Yerim concedes, hiding her face in her mother’s chest.

 

 

 

“Thank you,” Irene mouths. She struggles slightly to work around carrying Yerim and reaching for her pocket. Taking out her wallet, she smiles (that very gorgeous one) at Wendy and asks. “How much do I owe you for the fish and chips?”

 

 

 

“No worries.” Wendy hastily answers. “It’s on the house.”

 

 

“Are you sure? I can’t accept that after you help calm this girl down!” She motions to her daughter who was quickly falling asleep on her shoulder. “Let me at least pay for the food.”

 

 

 

“No, no. I’m sure.” She allows herself to brush the top of Yerim’s head softly. Her heart beating a little too fast as Irene stares at her actions. Wendy looks at Irene, noting how tired and red they are from the days work and bearing the responsibility of her daughter. And yet the weight of it all doesn’t cower her. Wendy sighs internally, she was too perfect.

 

 

 

Definitely out of your league, Wendy Son.

 

 

 

 “Just having you and this little one here makes my day. It’s the least I can do.” Wendy mumbles, looking away, suddenly shy from the weight of her words.

 

 

 

Irene laughs a beautiful laugh, her eyes twinkling as she keeps her wallet, letting her beautiful smile linger towards Wendy. It occurs to her that she would be giving out free dinner for the rest of her life to have Irene smile like that at her everyday.

 

 

 

“Thank you, Wendy. Good night.”

 

 

 

Wendy just waves, feeling her heartbeat quicken from her name leaving Irene’s lips spreading warmth in her chest. She has it bad. She knows and yet she doesn’t think there was a way out now. She was basically in for it now.

 

 

 

-o0o-

 

 

 

It doesn’t take long for them to form a friendship after that. Irene comes around almost daily, Bae Yerim usually in tow. She learns that Irene works at a company nearby, in Sales, and sends Yerim to a nearby school. Some days, Irene’s mother picks Yerim up to spend time with her granddaughter and to give Irene a break.

 

 

 

So despite the single mother status she was supported and something about that eases Wendy’s mind. Not that she thought Irene wasn’t capable of handling Yerim all on her own. Irene was a good mother; amazing even juggling all her responsibilities. Somewhere in her mind, Wendy thinks it’s one of the most attractive qualities about her and yet, there was so much more to her than just that. She was beautiful both inside and out and it drove Wendy crazy.

 

 

 

On days Yerim wasn’t around, Irene somehow manages to rope Wendy into sitting at her table keeping Irene company instead of doing actual work. And Wendy learns quickly that Irene is playful even if she thinks she is a boring soul. She is endearing in her failed efforts to make Wendy laugh and witty at teasing Wendy about her compulsive need to ensure the cafe was perfect, her treatment to her staff that was too ‘soft’ or her insistence that she was not ‘too kind’.

 

 

 

Irene had even started talking to all her staff at the cafe. Despite the shift rotations she knew everyone, taking a special liking to Joy and Seulgi who are devils when it comes to embarrassing Wendy in front of her crush.

 

 

 

“Irene-unnie, don’t you think Wendy works too much?” Joy asked, standing by the table. Irene was sipping on her coffee, nibbling on a sweet pastry as Wendy pretended to do some work across her. Joy and Wendy both knew her work was just an excuse to sit with Irene.

 

 

 

“She practically lives here!” Chirps Wheein who was wiping down the counter. It was a mercy that Seulgi was currently outside taking orders from the only other customers on this odd Tuesday evening.

 

 

 

“She doesn’t live here?” Irene asks, carefully placing the pastry down, wiping before speaking. “I thought she did.”

 

 

 

“See that’s exactly my point!” Joy points excitedly that Irene sees it too. Wendy is about to sound a protest when the yard door opens, bringing in a skipping Seulgi who was calling out orders to Hwasa in the kitchen. She walks to their table, completely unaware of the conversation she had just interrupted.

 

 

 

“What were you ladies talking about?”

 

 

 

“Nothing!” Wendy half-shouts, trying her best to cut off Joy’s answer of, “How Wendy is always working.”

 

 

 

All her efforts were wasted though, because Joy and Seulgi are literally always on the same frequency that by one look, Joy could have conveyed what she was trying to say to Seulgi. They were connected by Wifi or something. Sometimes, it freaks Wendy out.

 

 

 

“She works so much that Irene-unnie thought she lives in the cafe,” Joy explained while Wendy pretends to pout. They were ganging up on her and she hates it. It was totally embarrassing.

 

 

 

“Hey, that’s not fair! I do have off days!”  Wendy protests but the girls were ignoring her and much to her chagrin, Irene was listening to them with rapt attention.

 

 

 

“If she isn’t at the cafe, which she usually is, she is at her parents. Her life basically consists of this cafe. Thank god she has us as her staff who makes her life much better. We are basically her only friends!” Seulgi rants.

 

 

 

“I’m her friend,” Irene says, rathier sheepishly.

 

 

 

Joy and Seulgi look at each other, quick enough that Irene doesn’t get in on their private joke as the giggle overcome them but slow enough that Wendy catches it and turns bright pink.

 

 

 

“We should celebrate!” Joy announces as if she just had the most brilliant idea and Seulgi starts jumping with excitement. Wendy wants the floor beneath her to swallow her whole.

 

 

 

“We should have a barbeque and invite Irene-unnie.” Joy elaborates but she was basically already red from delirious chuckles.

 

 

 

“YES A PARTY!” Seulgi squeals, jumping up and down.

 

 

 

“Did y’all say party?” Wheein called peeking from the small serving window of the kitchen, glancing at Moonbyul who was cleaning the coffee machine. “I’ll bring some alcohol so then maybe we can get Moonbyul-unnie to finally confess her feelings to Solar-unnie.”

 

 

 

Moonbyul turns red as a tomato and everyone starts laughing.

 

 

 

Just then Irene turns to her, leaning close as she whispers, “Moonbyul likes Solar?”

 

 

 

Wendy nods, afraid that if she speaks the closeness will translate to a whisper. Irene hums in reply, momentarily leaning her head on Wendy’s shoulder mumbling a small - i had no idea - before removing herself and acting as if it was nothing.

 

 

 

-o0o-

 

 

 

As it turned out, Moonbyul could take is alcohol very very well and did not confess her long time crush to Solar. Instead, a very goofy drunk Solar was stammering trying to get words out of to say something that sounded much like a confession to Moonbyul. And rather boldly she had done it amidst a party game, breaking everyone into awkward stares of chuckling.

 

 

 

Moonbyul, an angel among the rest of the staff, merely said “Unnie, you’re completely drunk. Let me take you home,”

 

 

 

To which Solar turned more red than her usual drinking asian flush.

 

 

 

When they finally leave, they all groan in what could only be a breath of relief.

 

 

 

“Hopefully now they won’t be dancing around each other anymore,” Wheein said. On busy nights, Wheein and Solar work the kitchens and when their shifts coincides with Moonbyul’s, Solar is a mess. Wheein hates it because Solar is an ultimate klutz where Moonbyul is involved.

 

 

 

Irene is pleasantly tipsy next to her on the love seat they had brought out in the yard for the occasion, laughing at any small comments the girls throw at her. Wendy feels her heart inflate with affection for this family she had built and the inclusion of Irene. She knows there is space for more; a space that looks a lot like a growing four year old girl.

 

 

 

“Irene-unnie, where is Yerim? It’s been awhile since we’ve seen her,” Joy pouts rather exaggeratingly to which Seulgi pusshes her face in mock annoyance. All five of them laugh at the exchange.

 

 

 

When the laughter dies down, Irene takes out her phone. “My mother is babysitting her today but recently there was a school talent show and she performed and… Do you ladies want to see?”

 

 

 

She starts playing a video on her phone of Bae Yerim prancing on stage in a tree costume, jumping excitedly as people clap, nearly knocking over her classmates. It’s the most endearing thing and they all agree with a series of awws and ahs.

 

 

 

“I miss her. When will you bring her over?” Wendy whispers to Irene when Wheein, Seulgi and Joy take turns to imitate Yerim’s performance laughing loudly.

 

 

 

“You spoil her with too many rainbow cakes!” Irene complains loudly, but she is doing that face which gives away that she is joking. She laughs further when Wendy pouts. To placate Wendy she scoots closer and places a hand on Wendy’s arm. Wendy notices how handsy Irene becomes when she is like this, slightly inebriated. She leans into Wendy with every movement, when she laughs, when she jokes. It both delights and drives her mad.

 

 

 

“I spoil you with coffee and pastries everyday,” Wendy teases making Irene blush. Irene turns to her, glancing at her shoulder as if longing to lay her head there. Wendy assumes that the alcohol has taken over and her head is heavy with it. Her shoulder must seem inviting. However, Irene just looks away.

 

 

 

“This is nice,” Irene sighs loudly, closing her sheavy lids for a second as if taking in the atmosphere. “You treat your staff like family.” she remark.

 

 

 

“They are my family.” Wendy says, matter-of-factly, but the bite in it must have showed because it seemed to shock Irene.

 

 

 

“Joy was right about what she said.” Wendy said, eager to unknot the tension she unintentionally caused. “I don’t have many friends but I do have this cafe and all of the people who work here are family to me.”

 

 

 

Irene is silent for a moment, playing with the hair behind her ear. “What about your parents?”

 

 

 

Wendy hums, contemplating an answer. “It’s complicated.”

 

 

 

“Which part is complicated?” Irene asked. “The successful cafe owner part?” She sounds as if she is upset that Wendy’s parents would be anything less than proud of her. Wendy could feel her cheeks heat.

 

 

 

“Nah. We have a good relationship. Like i visit and stuff. But it’s still quite complicated. The cafe part is ok.” Wendy rambled. “It’s the gay part.”

 

 

 

Irene makes a choking noise from where she was trying to drink, coughing loudly from the revelation. “Are you ok?” Wendy asked, quickly slapping Irene’s back.

 

 

 

When Irene resurfaces, her eyes are red. She groans in pain to which Wendy’s turns the smacking into of comfort.

 

 

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. It took my by surprise.” She wheezes.

 

 

 

“My coming out?” Wendy asked to which Irene nodded. “Does it bother you?”

 

 

 

“Oh, dear, no. I just never expected that we had that in common.” Irene intoned, taking Wendy’s breathe away. “Being gay.”

 

 

 

It’s then that Wendy realizes how close they have become. Irene leaning towards her as she spoke in low tones, Wendy rubbing circles on her back with the palm of her hand. Her eyes are drawn the Irene’s plump lips wondering at the back of her mind what it would be like to have those lips on her own. She watches Irene watching her own lips, her heart surging at the realization that maybe, just maybe , she might want this too.

 

 

 

“Hey lovebirds! Stop flirting and judge which of us does the best Bae Yerim impression!” Wheein shouts, making them jump apart.

 

 

 

“Yah! We weren’t- aren’t…” Irene protests but her ears are practically boiling by the colour of it. The three fiends cackle.

 

 

 

Wendy is embarrassed by them - their teasing and inappropriate behavior - flusshed to her chest with the feeling and yet she still feels happiness spread over her chest like a warm blanket.

 

 

 

She sits among her friends; her family in her cafe. Full with food, laughter and contentment.

 

 

___________

 

 

 

Time passes quickly, days into weeks and suddenly it had been three months since the barbeque. It’s a Friday. She doesn’t expect Irene to come in because on Fridays she eats out with her colleagues and goes straight home. So instead of helplessly wishing Irene was at her table by the window, Wendy works the tables, making sure everything was set for the definite Friday crowd. Seulgi and Moonbyul man the counter while Joy was covering the outside tables.

 

 

 

Wendy was busy talking to one of their usual Friday customers when Seulgi, who shouldn’t leave the counter when 80% of the tables were full, came running for her.

 

 

 

“Wendy, Solar is looking for you.” she said, looking alarmed. “Don’t worry, I’ll cover for you.”

 

 

 

Wendy wants to fight her for a moment but decides that if Solar called her at her time it must be an emergency. She nods in goodbye to the customers she recognizes in the well lit cafe, glancing at Joy who was taking orders from the outdoor seating on the patio by the fairy lit garden before making her way to the counters. Once here, she throws a questioning look at Moonbyul who just shrugged before returning to make their signature cold brew coffee.

 

 

 

Pushing the door marked with an ‘Authorized Personnel Only’ revealed the kitchens where Wheein was plating Solar’s famous 7-star rice bowl.

 

 

 

“Ah, Wendy, Solar’s in the back.” she says without looking up, her tongue sticking out with concentration. Wendy nods, belatedly realizing Wheein probably wouldn’t be able to see.

 

 

 

“Where are you, Solar?” she calls out heading to the back of the cafe to find Solar leaning on the back door, idly peeling apples. Even since the barbeque, here was a calm air about Solar, a soft glow about her that Wendy has never seen before. In the cheesy part of her brain, she blames it on Solar being happy with Moonbyul

 

 

 

“Why are you back here peeling apples and not out here making pasta or frying chips?” Wendy asks. Solar wasn’t looking at her and it was making her uneasy. If Solar were to quit on her at her very moment, she would be doomed but she couldn’t hold her back. She just couldn’t. Solar had too much talent to be sheld in her small small cafe. She deserved to grow. She couldn’t do that to her best friend; her sister.

 

 

 

“I think you need to step outside.” Solar said, stepping aside. “You work way too much and I think it's about time you do something for yourself.”

 

 

 

“What do you mean? I can’t do that. It’s Friday. Don’t you see how many people are outside?”

 

 

 

“Take a breather.” Solar insists, not looking away. “Or a hundred. If you’re not back by closing, I'll close the shop. You can trust me. You know you can.”

 

 

 

And she can trust Solar; with her life. And yet, she doesn’t understand what is going on but as soon as Solar leaves her in the back room, with a sheap of apple peelings, she decides a breaher won’t hurt. She doesn’t shesitate any longer as she opens the door and steps out.

 

 

 

She turns to her right, hoping the view of the Bae opposite the cafe would provide her the ‘breather’ Solar insisted she had. It was then that she noticed a familiar figure pacing on the opposite street. Wendy didn’t have to walk closer to see who it was, she could recognize the flip in stomach anywhere. Without thinking about how Solar had probably meant for her to find her, she approaches the figure.

 

 

 

“I just… I just thought… I just want to…” Wendy hears Irene mumble as she nears her pacing form. She looks nervous as she mumbled to herself, swinging what seems to be a small bouquet of flowers.

 

 

 

“Irene?” Wendy calls, causing Irene to jump, uselessly hiding the bouquet Wendy had already seen.

 

 

 

“Wendy?” Irene says a little dumbly. A warm feeling fills Wendy heart looking at her innocent expression of shock. “What are you doing here?”

 

 

 

“I have been kicked out of the cafe by Solar. Apparently, I need a ‘breather’,” Wendy says, trying to ignore how fidgety Irene looks. “Is something wrong?”

 

 

 

Irene eyes are wide open, something not far from fear overtakes her eyes before it transforms into a determined look. That was just it about Irene, isn’t it? Her eyes tell a million stories and she was earnest and sincere and something about that just attracts Wendy to her like Icarus and the sun; unafraid of getting burnt despite the knowledge that it could (most probably would) happen.

 

 

 

“I just… I wanted to… I mean… Oh my god, Irene, pull yourself togeher!” She lightly smacks her cheek, surprising Wendy from the abruptness but then she steadies her gaze on Wendy.

 

 

 

“These are for you!” She blurts, half-shouting, raising the bouquet Wendy had watched her swinging in her arms just a moment ago. Wendy looks down at it only realizing now that they were yellow sunflowers tucked neatly between an array of white daisies (?), sheld inside brown paper.

 

 

 

She takes the bouquet, heart beating so fast she was sure it was going to burst out of her chest.

 

 

 

“For me?” Wendy squeaks, hoping Irene doesn't catch just how much her simple gesture means to her.

 

 

 

“I thought it would go well with the interior of the cafe.” Irene is avoiding all eye contact, her hands ruffling the back of her head and it occurs to Wendy that she was shy. The thought in itself makes her heart leap but she refuses to allow for it to blind her. It might just be friendly. As she said, it was for the cafe not for her; not really .

 

 

 

“Thanks.” Wendy says, hugging it close to her body.

 

 

 

“I wanted to…” Irene begins but stops herself midway, taking a deep breath. “Would you like to get dinner?”

 

 

 

“Now? Just the two of us?” Wendy asks, daring herself to hope. What was Bae Irene doing giving her flowers and asking her out for dinner? Was Bae Irene doing what Wendy thought she was?

 

 

 

Irene chuckles her hand ruffling the hair on the back of her head, a clear sign she was embarrassed and uncomfortable. “I mean we can have it anytime you’re free. I’m sure Friday is a busy time for you. I’m sorry I should have thought about that.” she rambles, mumbling the words and it makes Wendy’s heart skip beats.

 

 

 

“No. Now is fine,” Wendy is sure the smile on her face gives off how much she likes her development but she doesn’t care. She feels giddy with it. Bae Irene, the beautiful, charming, amazing mother to Bae Yerim, had just asked her out to dinner and with flowers no less.

 

 

 

Irene looks surprised as if she wasn’t expecting Wendy to say yes.

 

 

 

“Were you not expecting me to agree?”

 

 

 

Irene barks a loud laugh, trying to reel it in by covering her wide beautiful smile (which Wendy thinks is a shame) but ultimately fails. She wants to hear more laughs like that coming from Irene and selfishly she wants to cause her laughter.

 

 

 

“You have no idea how long I’ve worked up the courage to ask you out.”

 

 

 

Wendy smiles so wide her cheeks hurt. Did she just hear Irene correctly?

 

 

 

“Was that why you kept roping me into spending time with you while I was working?” Wendy teases. Irene laughs louder, bending slightly as her body shakes with laughter. Wendy could see her ears turning red. Her guess must have been spot on.

 

 

 

Irene grins at her, small chuckles still escaping , “Let’s go, I’m hungry.”

 

 

 

-o0o-

 

 

 

The date is awkward at first. Irene obviously calculating her every move and Wendy being too shy to say anything at all, only hugging the bouquet closer to her body as they walk to a restaurant some distance away from where they were.

 

 

 

When they finally sit down in the small private booth of the american diner theme restaurant, the conversation flows easily. Wendy never took notice before of how prettily Irene smiles when she praises her, or how delighted she looks when Wendy laughs at her jokes. Maybe it had been happening all this while but Wendy had convinced herself that she was projecting.

 

 

 

They were sharing a dessert when Wendy couldn’t help but let her curiosity get the best of her.

 

 

 

“Since how long?”

 

 

 

Irene was busy trying to make sure she had a good ratio of ice cream to pancake to fruit before scooping it into . “Huh?”

 

 

 

“Since how long have you wanted to ask me out?”

 

 

 

Irene chokes on her ice cream, turning a beautiful pink. She coughs slightly, making a show of patting her chest before finally speaking.

 

 

 

“Do you really want to know?” she asks, voice low. Wendy nods in reply.

 

 

 

“Since the first day.” she confesses, “You’re very pretty. The coffee is good but I may have dragged unwilling colleagues to the cafe just to look at you.”

 

 

 

“Did you drag Yerim too?” Wendy jokes. Irene snickers.

 

 

 

“That little girl drags me to the cafe. She adores you. I swear all her sentences start with Wendy now.”

 

 

 

“Well, I adore her too.” Wendy says, a little to earnestly judging by the way Irene looks at her, contemplating.

 

 

 

“You do.” Irene says, as if the words leave without her knowledge. Wendy could see that she was deep in her own thoughts. Likely about Yerim, and about her, and about how they were going to work her out. Irene doesn’t talk about it but Wendy knows whatever happened to Yerim’s other parent, Irene definitely did not want it to repeat.

 

 

 

Before she could think of it, Wendy’s reaches for Irene’s empty hand on the table, squeezing it once. When Irene looks at her questioningly, she simply smiles.

 

 

 

“Don’t worry,” Wendy says, aware her voice is suddenly low, “We can take our time. However you want it.”

 

 

 

Irene looks at her, the worry not completely gone, but she squeezed Wendy’s hands back. And maybe for now that’s enough.

 

 

 

-o0o-

 

 

 

“Rose is doing Real Estate now,” Wendy’s Aunt Areum gloats about her daughter that never shows up to these kinds of family gaherings. “She tells me her boss is looking into getting her a promotion.”

 

 

 

Wendy’s mother catcshes her gaze, discreetly rolling her eyes. Wendy withholds a chuckle. Her mother places a dumpling in her plate, then promptly places one in her husband’s plate. Her mother grins at her.

 

 

 

“So Wendy, how is the cafe?” Uncle Park asks. 

 

 

 

“It’s going good.” Wendy nods. “We serve breakfasts now. You guys should come by sometime.”

 

Wendy smiles at the whole table. Aunt Areum, Uncle Park, their youngest daughter, Irene, Aunt Youra, her son, Yunho with his wife and small toddler, and her parents were all sat togeher in the chinese restaurant they usually frequent.

 

 

 

Here was no occasion other than it had been awhile since they got togeher. Wendy usually skips it but she felt lucky after having a week of dreamy bliss of Bae Irene laughing, Bae Irene smiling, Bae Irene blushing.

 

 

 

Now, though, she thinks she might regret her decision.

 

 

 

“You know I never understood why you felt the need to run the cafe. You graduated with a Law degree when your sister passed away,” Aunt Areum sounds a little scolding but Wendy concentrates on the sweet and sour pork in front of her. Unfortunately, she takes it as a sign to continue.

 

 

 

“You wasted three years on that cafe. Maybe it's time you become what you were meant to be. A lawyer.”

 

 

 

Wendy looks up just in time to see Uncle Park elbowing her wife, in an effort to make her stop her prattling. She only gives him a side eye.

 

 

 

“I mean, you’ve done well with it already. Sell it. Seunghee would never have dreamed to have a cafe as good as you have developed it.”

 

 

 

Wendy could feel her heart boil from her jabs. She had always fought with her sister, disagreeing with her life choices, nagging her about never marrying or settling down. She was content with the life she had built. The cafe she had worked so hard to rebuild after the passing of her sister and making it bigger and better.

 

 

 

Maybe at the start it had been to mourn the loss of Seunghee, but now it wasn’t that. She couldn’t imagine how boring her life would be if she was a lawyer. She enjoyed every second of ensuring her customers are satisfied, providing them solace whether that be in the form of their first coffee in the morning or a quiet place to read. Why couldn’t they understand that?

 

 

 

Wendy clenches her fist, ready to throw a fit but her mother holds her arm firmly keeping her in place.

 

 

 

“Areum, I’m sure you mean well but that was out of line and you know it.” she chastised.

 

 

 

“Besides, I’m rather proud of what she has achieved.” her mother chirps in, munching loudly on a piece of duck, sending a wink at Wendy. A surge of affection hits her. Here was a time when her parents had asked her the same questions, worried of their daughter wasting her life away. The fact that they stood togeher defending her shows how much they support her now despite those times.

 

 

 

The table fell silent, aside from the mumbling of Yunho’s toddler son, pretending to eat as everyone avoided looking at how red Aunt Areum has turned. When conversation resumed, they avoid asking questions about personal life, instead choosing to comment on the food.

 

 

 

Just as dessert comes though, Aunt Youra smiles at her and somehow she knew her peace was going to be disrupted.

 

 

 

“So have you met any nice girls at the cafe, Wendy?” Aunt Youra asks. “You know, Jennie keeps asking about you.”

 

 

 

Wendy rolls her eyes. She had come out to her family in one dramatic reveal of her career choice and partner choice. They should know better than to match her up with girls. She had raher outwardly denied them each time and yet. Here she was.

 

 

 

“I think,” she pushes herself up and out of her seat, causing the chair to drag loudly against the floor, “I’m going home. Thanks for lunch.”

 

 

 

She ignores the reactions her relatives have about her announcement, bending to place a kiss on her mother's cheek. She looks slightly sad but not so much so that sshe would force her to sit back down. Sher worried eyes making Wendy feel heavy but she could not stay a minute longer. Here was only so much she could do before she started throwing bowls of rice to unsuspecting relatives.

 

 

 

“I’ll come home next weekend,” she whispers, hoping it would placate her. She smiles then, obviously placated. She waves to her mother and leaves out the door as fast as she can.

 

 

 

-o0o-

for the mood pls play this

 

 

It’s a little rainy when she exits the restaurant. It’s a good thing she had the forethought of carrying an umbrella. A brisk walk back to the cafe from here would do her some good to shake away the anger roiling within her. If she sat still in a taxi, she would surely end up breaking something.

 

 

 

So she walks and walks from the busy streets of the main road to the more bare part of the town. Her cafe was in the business district where big companies built their office towers. On a sunday afternoon like her the walk to her cafe is relatively peaceful. Peaceful enough that by the time she reached the familiar alley leading to her cafe she is filled with ease.

 

 

 

The cafe is closed on Sundays but she fancies herself a walk in the small park opposite the street to calm herself furher. Maybe if she was relaxed enough after her walk, she could make herself a coffee and sit close to the window looking out into the backyard, staring into the rain. Maybe listen to some music or watch a movie. It was her cafe, she could do whatever she wanted.

 

 

 

All thoughts of peaceful alone time leaves her the moment she reaches the corner of her cafe. On the bench in front of the cafe, sat Irene, the white shirt she wore soaked, sticking to her skin, her blue denim jeans almost black from the wetness. She sits staring ahead as if in a daze that even as Wendy approacshes she does not take notice. Irene looks pale and Wendy is unsure if its due to the cold of being soaked for who knows how long or if its because whatever has happened has the very life out of her.

 

 

 

Wendy walks toward her, not really thinking about what she was doing. Something about Irene sitting on a street bench in the middle of the rain didn’t sit right with her. When she got close enough, she knew her instincts were right because Bae Irene isn’t just sitting on a street bench admiring the view of the Bae. She is sitting here, with tears falling down her eyes.

 

 

 

“Irene?”

 

 

 

The moment Irene hears her name, she jerks, turning to Wendy then hastily she tries to hide the stream of tears.

 

 

 

“Is everything alright?” Wendy tries again, coming closer her time. Letting her umbrella shield Irene from the rain. It’s not close enough though and Wendy could feel her back getting wet from where the umbrella could not cover the both of them.

 

 

 

Irene laughs, but its watery and all wrong. “It’s a little embarrassing. I probably shouldn’t be here. I forgot the cafe closes on Sundays.”

 

 

 

Irene stands from where she was seated, wiping her face, leaving her red rimmed eyes. It’s unfair but she still looks attractive like her. It feels intimate and fragile and Wendy wants to file her image of Irene under things she has seen and never wants to see again. She feels a strong urge to make sure Irene would never cry like her again but she calms herself and instead takes a step closer, making sure both of them were under the umbrella now.

 

 

 

“Don’t go.” Wendy placates. Irene looks at her with a sad smile.

 

 

 

She feels as if she was trying to approach a wild horse. One wrong move and her rare wild beauty would leave, never to be seen again. She waits a moment for Irene to stop looking like she was about to bolt before placing her hand on Irene’s arm.

 

 

 

“Let’s go inside and let you dry,” Wendy says, tugging slightly at her wet arm. Irene was freezing.

 

 

 

“I really shouldn’t be here,” Irene mumbles. She shakes Wendy off, taking a step away but Wendy follows her. When Irene realizes she is followed she stops, turning to look at Wendy questioningly.

 

 

 

“Would you like a shoulder or a distraction?” Wendy asks as nonchalantly as if asking what the current time was.

 

 

 

“Huh?” Irene sounded weary.

 

 

 

“My sister used to ask me the same question whenever I was upset. If I said a shoulder, she would listen and be my shoulder to cry on. If I said a distraction, she would provide a distraction so that I would forget about whatever was bothering me.”

 

 

 

Irene looked at her, seemingly undecided.

 

 

 

“Sometimes when I answer ‘distraction’, she would tickle me.”

 

 

 

“That’s horrible.” Irene scoffs, suddenly shielding herself as if worried Wendy would start tickling her.

 

 

 

“It works though.” Wendy said, chuckling thinking about those times she was tickled. “You got distracted.” She places her hand on Irene’s arm again, pulling her closer so they were both shielded under the umbrella.

 

 

 

“Come inside, please. You’re freezing.” Wendy pleads when the other doesn’t make any move to protest she tugs her so they could walk to the cafe.

 

 

 

“Is this the same sister you inherited the cafe from?” Irene asked, curious.

 

 

 

“Yep.” Wendy lets the ‘p’ pop, tugging Irene gently to the door.

 

 

 

“Seems like a great sister.” Irene remarked.

 

 

 

Upon reaching the front door Wendy goes through the complicated process of unlocking the door and deactivating the anti-theft system. When they finally stepped inside, safe from the rain, Wendy walks towards Irene who was standing at the doorstep, as if she needed to be guided in. Whatever it was that happened, wasn’t good. Irene has never seemed her off-kilter before.

 

 

 

“Do you want to come in so I can make you a hot chocolate?” Wendy asks. Instead of answering, Irene tugs her by the arm so that their bodies are only a feet apart.

 

 

 

“Thank you, Wendy.” Irene says, looking at her with an earnest expression that makes Wendy want to melt to the ground or catch those lips with a kiss. “You always seem to make things better.”

 

 

 

Warmth fills her heart from the simple words Irene says.

 

 

 

“Is it too late to ask for a shoulder?” Irene says after a moment of silence. Wendy shakes her head in reply.

 

 

 

It happens in slow motion. Irene scoots closer till their bodies are touch, her arms looping around Wendy’s back and her forehead leans onto her shoulder, hair brushing against her neck.

 

 

 

“This isn’t-” Wendy begins but Irene cuts her off.

 

 

 

“I know.” She inhales deeply, turning to press her face into the crook of Wendy’s shoulder, “I just…” Irene begins but is cut off by a sob. Immediately, Wendy wants to take all her words back.

 

 

 

“Hey, It’s ok. Don’t worry ok.” She turns slightly, careful not to shift Irene’s head, using her free arm to Irene’s back.

 

 

 

“I lost my job, Wendy. The company has gone bankrupt.” Irene shudders.

 

 

 

“Hey, it’s alright. You’ll find another job.”

 

 

 

Irene lifts her head but doesn’t pull away. Wendy is slightly aware that they are close but Irene has that expression on her face again. The one that Wendy doesn’t ever want to see again.

 

 

 

“I won’t be able to afford Yerim’s current school. She would be so heartbroken.” Wendy continues to rub soothing patterns onto Irene’s shoulder, unable to say anything in reply.

 

 

 

“She’d have to stay with my mother while I find anoher job and I won’t be able to see her.” Irene sobs. “She is going to hate me.”

 

 

 

“Yerim would never hate you. She loves you.” Wendy her hair. “I’m sure your mother would take care of her, she did raise you.”

 

 

 

“And look at me! Aren’t I a failure?” Irene snapped.

 

 

 

“Here is no need to be harsh.” Wendy deadpanned. She cups Irene’s face in her hands, looking straight at her. “You’ll get through her. You won’t be alone.”

 

 

 

I’ll be here… Wendy adds in the back of her mind but instead she pulls Irene closer as Irene sobs harder.

 

 

 

-o0o-

songs

 

 

Wendy Son was truly something else. Irene had thought that from the moment she had laid her eyes on her. She was good-looking that much was clear from the amount of young girl flocking her cafe for a chance to be served by the beautiful owner. For awhile, it had filled her with jealousy but it’s soothed by Wendy’s tender look when Irene enters the cafe after a long day of job-hunting or the firm grip of assurance Wendy places on her shoulder or clasp of hands.

 

 

 

Wendy has expanded her blanket of warmth to include Irene and Yerim; The same blanket she wraps around her cafe staff and her parents. Irene is both thankful and sorry.

 

 

 

Thankful that Wendy smiles when she enters the cafe as if just looking at Irene makes her significantly happier. Thankful that Wendy treats Yerim so well and dotes on her as if her own. Thankful that despite her work and the responsibility she shoulders, she makes time to ensure Irene is not freaking out over her messed up life.

 

 

 

But mostly she is sorry. Sorry that Wendy gives, gives and gives but expects nothing in return. Sorry that Wendy wears her heart on her sleeve, looking at her with that look that makes Irene melt into the cracks of the floor tiles. Irene is both unworthy and undeserving.

 

 

 

And yet.

 

 

 

“Wake up, sleeping beauty,” a raspy voice wakes her from her slumber. When she opens her eyes, Wendy is here, close, breath tickling her cheeks. Irene is aware of the slight ache in her neck from where she was leaning and the numbness from her arm in which she lay her head on. Glancing down she recognizes her laptop from where she was job hunting was pusshed aside to make space for Wendy hovering over her.

 

 

 

“Were you watching me sleep?” Irene groans, hiding her face in the bend of her arm, hoping no sleep lines have formed from her nap.

 

 

 

Wendy chuckles, a low rumble, her face retreating only to be replaced with a comforting hand on the back of Irene’s head. “Is that a problem?” she asked, not denying it.

 

 

 

Irene rises from where she was hiding, allowing the distance to thin furher.

 

 

 

“You like me.” Irene drawled, allowing a tone of challenge to escape her lips. Her eyes watching as Wendy swipes her tongue over her lower lip, thinking about the feeling to have that on her own. It’s been three weeks since their ‘date’ and they haven’t kissed. Maybe Irene was desperate. Maybe.

 

 

 

“I do.” Wendy smirks, always up for the challenge. “Like you, that is.”

 

 

 

“Then why won’t you kiss me?” Irene asks and immediately Wendy turns red. Irene avoids eye contact, suddenly feeling shy after such a bold question. Before she can take her words back though, Wendy leans in stealing a peck. Soft lips covering , filling her with warmth for just a moment before its pulled away, unconsciously, Irene chases it but Wendy is faster.

 

 

 

Wendy turns, ready to bolt. All Irene could see was the red tips of her ears. Before she flees though, Irene catcshes her arm.

 

 

 

“Not so fast!” she mumbles, trapping Wendy with her arms. She descends on Wendy, capturing those lips again. When their lips meet, Wendy melts in her arms and all oher thoughts leave her altogeher. The kiss is sweet and tender, so much so that Irene doesn’t want to break apart. But eventually they do, flushed from it.

 

 

 

“Don’t tease me,” Wendy growls low at her, still not pulling away despite the kiss ending. The closeness addictive. Irene closes her eyes, trying hard to restrain herself from leaning forward again.

 

 

 

“Get back to work, Irene.” she amends, softer, leaving a kiss on her cheek before pulling completely away. The warmth from her even as she retreats, leaves Irene dazed from both restrained desire and the contentment of finding where she belonged. In Wendy’s arms.

 

 

 

-o0o-

 

 

 

“She went straight to sleep.” Wendy announces as she makes a beeline straight to Irene’s side. Irene smiles at her, grateful that Wendy had tucked Yerim in becuase she was just too tired to move. She nudges Irene, who was lying sprawled on the sofa, immediately making space for her. “Out like a light.” she adds as she snuggles closer into Irene.

 

 

 

Irene groans when Wendy squeezes her but does nothing else to move Wendy’s weight off of her. Instead, she threads her fingers in Wendy’s hair, eyes focused on the TV. Irene could feel Wendy slowly descending into sleep in her arms, her head sagging slightly with sleep. Unconsciously, she smiles.

 

 

 

It feels like both an eternity and no time at all since the first time Irene had felt her at home with Wendy. An eternity because she cannot imagine a time when she had not known her beautiful woman that may or may not be drooling on her shirt but also no time at all because an eternity has passed and yet her memories of their first date, first kiss, that time Wendy had asked her to move in and that time Wendy had told her that she love Yerim more than life itself and if Irene lay a finger on her she would not hesitate.

 

 

 

Life isn’t perfect. She works on a very minimal wage, arranging books in the local library but the hours align perfectly with Yerim’s schedule and it keeps her close to the thing she loves; books. Wendy’s relatives still look at her as if she was an unnatural addition to their family but they dote on Yerim and Wendy’s parents adore her. Wendy still overworks herself taking care of the cafe but now Irene can always find ways to lure her home.

 

 

 

Life is no where near perfect but Irene raher likes the way it is now.

 

 

 

“Ugh, stop it. You’re being so loud!” Wendy groans, eyes still shut asleep, burrowing her face furher into Irene’s chest.

 

 

 

“I didn’t even say anything!” Irene protests.

 

 

 

“I can hear your thoughts and you’re practically screaming,” Wendy grumbles, finally opening her eyes to look at her lover. “You’re in a good mood. What happened?”

 

 

 

Irene smiles. It’s hard not to when her heart feels full with love from how well Wendy knew her and would pick up all the queues. She wants to ask Wendy how she knew but Irene knew the answer already. She had heard it countless times before.

 

 

 

Because I love you.

 

 

 

“I got a reply from one of the publisshers,” Irene tries not to beam. But it’s impossible.

 

 

 

“From the manuscripts you’ve been sending out?” Wendy shot up, fully awake from the news. “Someone is interested?”

 

 

 

Irene nods and Wendy squeals. “I’m so proud of you! I didn’t even do anything! I’m just - omg! Irene! I’m so happy for you!”

 

 

 

Irene laughs because she was happy too. It’s been a life long dream to see her writing in book and paper. This might just be it.

 

 

 

“Thank you.” Irene says, when Wendy settles in her again, smiling.

 

 

 

“What are you thanking me for? I didn’t do anything.” Wendy complains but her ear turn a familiar shade of embarrassed red.

 

 

 

“For just being here for me. You amazing human, you!” Irene squeezes Wendy in her arms until Wendy begs to be let go. They laugh as they wrestle, nearly toppling over the sofa from their tumble. When the laughter dies down, Irene stares at Wendy, foreheads plastered togeher.

 

 

 

“I love you, Wendy Son,” Irene wherpers, stealing a small kiss. “Thank you.”

 

 

 

“You’re crazy,” Wendy giggles which is the closest she would ever come to accept her gratitude.