Extra

Juliet Roses for B
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2016

 

“Byun Baek! What are you doing?” Jongdae lurches forward to hug Baekhyun from the back, purposely swinging him back and forth to annoy the other male.

 

Baekhyun who is sitting on the far end of the sofa shrugs him off with a whine. “Ugh, get off Kim Jongdae, you weigh like a dinosaur!”

 

They’re currently at the office of one of the Byun’s eateries in Garosu-gil which had just opened ten days ago. Unsurprisingly, the restaurant is fully booked every day as word has gotten out that the famous Korean-Italian fusion restaurant in Gyeonggi-do has finally opened a branch in Gangnam. 

 

The response to their restaurant is overwhelming to the Byun’s every single day. Though it has been roughly two weeks since their opening, the restaurant is always filled with new and returning customers.

 

Jongdae ignores the brunette’s threatening glare and continues to sprawl himself onto the male. 

 

Baekhyun, with newfound super-strength, pushes the male away (albeit still gently) and flicks the other’s forehead, emitting a long whine from the Chesire male.

 

“Baek, what if I don’t get accepted into Yonsei? I’m gonna be miserable for the rest of my university life because you’re not there with me,” Jongdae cries as he rubs onto the red blossoming on his forehead. 

 

If there’s something that Baekhyun does not physically at, it’s with any use of his fingers to either play the piano like a prodigy or flick Jongdae’s forehead every other day— which hurts like a , if Jongdae can testify.

 

“Stop being dramatic, Dae. You’re talking as if I’ll for sure get into Yonsei, we don’t know yet, you doofus,” Baekhyun says before he continues. “What if I don't get accepted?” he sighs worriedly.

 

“Oh shut up, will you? If there’s someone who I know ate up that CSAT test, it'd be none other than you , Byun Baek,” Jongdae reassures and playfully kicks the other’s shin. “You eat and drink the textbook on a daily basis, Baek. No offence but you don’t even know how to use the noraebang machine and that is saying something.”

 

Baekhyun groans and closes his eyes at his friend’s words. 

 

“I’m trying to get into the top universities in Korea, Dae. It’s SKY for god’s sake— I have no time to figure out how the karaoke machine works,” he replies exasperatingly.

 

“Yeah yeah as if you don’t get Top 1 in every single exam we had, Byun Baek. Let loose a little— even your mom is telling me to take you out and have fun a week before CSAT. No sane mother would tell their child to go and have fun when CSAT is near, Baek,” Jongdae affirms and lies down on the sofa, intentionally putting his thighs on the brunette’s legs to annoy him. 

 

He cackles when Baekhyun grumbles in irritation. The latter doesn’t move the heavy legs binding him but instead crosses his arms with a frown.

 

Now that Jongdae has told him right to his face, it’s crystal clear that he did nothing but study during his high school years. 

 

How boring…

 

“Do you really think I’ll be able to get into Yonsei, Dae?” he asks in a small voice, insecurity evident in his tone. 

 

Jongdae gets up from the sofa and sighs before pulling the brunette to face him. He looks into Baekhyun’s eyes and sees the fear in his orbs, so timid, so afraid. 

 

Jongdae gathers the latter into his arms and pats his back reassuringly. “I know you will, Baek. If you don't, I will personally go and talk to the admission department— heck, I'll even burn down the building for you— I don’t care huh, don’t mess with us or they finna catch these hands.”

 

Baekhyun snickers and pushes the male away roughly. Cue Jongdae to always say the stupidest thing to make him feel better. That’s why he stuck with the loud male throughout high school. 

 

“You’re dumb, Kim Jongdae,” he chortles. 

 

Jongdae brings his hands to his chest in fake offence and says in the most offended tone. “I am trying to make you feel better and this is how I get repaid? I will revoke our friendship card, Byun Baekhyun.”

 

Baekhyun bends down to hold onto his stomach in laughter and kicks the other male playfully.

 

“Stop saying nonsense, Jongdae-ah— my stomach hurts.”

 

The Cheshire male only smiles softly at Baekhyun’s fit of laughter. He honestly wants the best for Baekhyun— they’ve been friends for as long as he could remember and the latter is the most hardworking person he’s ever met in his whole 19-years of life. 

 

Jongdae wipes the smile off his face and replaces it with a pout. “Really though, Baek, what if I don't get into Yonsei? My girlfriend will surely get into Ewha Women’s University and I want to be as close to her as possible.”

 

Baekhyuns shakes his head and lets out another laugh. “Whipped.”

 

“Baek, don't laugh at my misery!”

 

Baekhyun sighs and then chides. “Dae, if there’s someone who can rival me in high school, it is you, Mr Top 2 .”

 

Jongdae scratches his head innocently, his eyes shining brightly as he finally registers Baekhyun’s words.

 

“Oh right , I’m smart too! Haha you’re smart and I’m smart and we’re two smart best friends!” Jongdae claps in glee.

 

“You’re dumb, Kim Jongdae,” Baekhyun repeats with a groan.

 

“To Yonsei!”









 

Chanyeol puts on his black fabric mask into the back pocket of his jeans and adjusts his hair in the full-size mirror by his penthouse door. He pushes a few strands away from his face and nods after liking how it looks. 

 

Once he deems himself presentable enough, he goes into the shoe closet by the door and picks a formal dress shoe to go with the semi-casual attire he dons— clad in a khaki long coat with a black turtleneck and jeans. 

 

The front door beeps as it closes with a shallow thud and Chanyeol strides towards the elevator across the hall.

 

As he waits for the elevator, the taller male glances towards his sides, noting the other door across from his own— his only neighbour on the floor.

 

The penthouse he lives in is located in the richest neighbourhood in Seoul, where A-list celebrities to politicians live in guarantee for the security and privacy. Haera palace, it is called.

 

Each floor has a direct private elevator access to the underground parking and Chanyeol couldn’t be more grateful for that. 

 

Especially as a celebrity who has reporters tailing after every step of his to document his slips and falls. 

 

Spending almost 6 years in the entertainment industry has taught Chanyeol that not everything is sunshine and rainbows— it is cruel and vicious behind the scene. He had witnessed first-hand how his mutual friends had fallen from stardom for petty little reasons.

 

The industry is cruel and unforgiving.

 

Thus, Chanyeol tries to keep himself out of trouble— which proves itself to be futile because people talk when they want . They don’t listen when they have fixated on what they want to believe.

 

He does nothing but still ends up in the news headlines for his newest notorious adventure— as to what the gossip portal would describe every time they find something remotely scandalous about him.

 

Chanyeol could only laugh when they revealed all the ‘proofs’ and ‘evidence’ of his random escapades with his new ‘lover’. 

 

These gossip sites should at least find someone who looks similar to him instead of capturing random people and claim them as him— even a random person could tell with their eyes closed that is not him in the pictures.

 

What a bunch of fools they are because Chanyeol hasn’t been in a relationship since he broke up with his boyfriend in high school . 

 

Suddenly his ringtone fills the hall and Chanyeol enters the elevator. He swipes to answer the call from Mrs Park.

 

“Yes, mom? Yeah, I’m on the way— it’s the new restaurant right at the intersection, right? Okay, I’ll see you soon mom, bye.”

 

Chanyeol brings his coat closer to him as he steps out of the elevator and heads towards his car. 

 

Winter has arrived and it is time for the icy cold winter wind to strike him in the face every time he goes out. Chanyeol cannot stand the cold— he is never good with the freezing weather.

 

It’s always the biggest challenge if he has to film outdoors during the winter.

 

He hums a tune to Uptown Funk on his way to the restaurant, comforted by the warmth of his car. He passes by the gigantic billboard displaying his face and Chanyeol smirks. 

 

He is no narcissist but he looked particularly good that day during the Prada photoshoot, if he can humbly say.

 

He parks the car close to the restaurant and locks the door. Inside the restaurant, Chanyeol greets the waitress. “I have a reservation under Park Sungjin.”

 

“This way, sir,” the waitress directs him to the secluded part of the restaurant where only a few tables are present. He bows and thanks her before approaching his parents. 

 

Mrs Park has a wide smile on her face as she finally spots her second child. 

 

“Chanyeollie!” she greets excitedly.

 

“Mom,” Chanyeol bends down to place a kiss on her cheeks before turning to his father.

 

“Dad,” he bows his head slightly to the older male with a smile.

 

“Have a seat, Chanyeol,” Mr Park motions to the chair for him to sit. “How have you been, son?”

 

“I’ve been busy with filming and stuff. I have a break for a month before I’ll start my schedule again,” Chanyeol replies and lays the napkin onto his lap. 

 

“Make sure to not overwork yourself, dear. It looks like you’ve lost weight,” Mrs Park says disapprovingly after scrutinising her only child. “Look at how sunken your cheeks are, goodness!” 

 

Chanyeol smiles at her worried frown. His mother had always been observant, never failing to notice the slight gain or loss of weight he had. 

 

He gathers her fingers onto his hold and rubs her thumb softly to calm her down. “I’m fine, mom— I had to lose weight for the movie, I promise I’m eating fine, don’t worry, okay hm?”

 

The trick seems to work and Mrs Park is no longer worried about the weight loss, instead starts fussing over his new haircut. 

 

“You look good, my dear son! So handsome, look at you!” she cooes. 

 

“He got that from me, love,” Mr Park interrupts. “He looks exactly like I do when I was his age, that’s the face you fell in love with, right, Youngmi?” 

 

Mrs Park playfully slaps her husband’s shoulder. “Stop it you! We’re not young anymore for you to keep flirting with me,” the woman says with reddened cheeks.

 

The edge of Chanyeol’s lips twitches as he watches his parents. They’ve always been affectionate with each other. 

 

True love does exist, he supposes. His parents are the prime example of that.

 

Growing up, he had always wanted to become like his parents. He wants to fall in love and spend the rest of his life with his lover by his side. 

 

But unfortunately, he has been single for almost a decade, far away from his image of a ‘playboy’ that the public had given him. 

 

Just before his parents could start another banter, the door leading to the second floor opens to reveal a male, panting to catch his breath before sprinting towards the open dry kitchen before engulfing a woman in her late 40s into a bone-crushing hug.

 

“Mom, I got in! I got into Yonsei!” the male beams excitedly, a smile so blinding plastered on his face that could put the stars to shame. 

 

The woman gasps before smothering her son with kisses. “I’m so proud of you, honey!”

 

Seeming to finally realise the situation that they are in, the mother and son pair loosens their hug. The male scurries away from the prying eyes and bends down his head to hide the crimson blossoming on his cheeks. 

 

While the mother flashes an apologetic smile towards the patrons with a bow for the random outburst. Still, the smile never leaves her face as she is clouded with pride and joy.

 

Chanyeol figures she must be the owner of the restaurant when she whispers towards one of the waiters in a uniform before they all line up to the displayed wine cellar situated right in the middle of the restaurant. 

 

Then, the waiters start pouring wine onto every glass on the table, moving from one table to another.

 

In her high heels and with elegance, the owner stands in the middle of the restaurant with a glass of wine in her hand, her husband and son by her side.

 

“Good evening everyone, I am the owner of Urban Soul, Yoonhee and tonight we would like to share some complimentary wine, don’t worry, refills are on the house too!” 

 

The crowd cheers and claps.

 

“However, may I have everyone join my husband and I in a toast to celebrate a piece of wonderful news?“ Yoonhee continues and points to her son. “Because our son has been accepted into SKY…” 

 

Gasps fill the restaurant. Everyone across the country is aware of how painstakingly difficult it is to enter the top three prestigious universities in the country.

 

The son can only bashfully smile as he feels more than forty pairs of eyes watching him.

 

“To Byun Baekhyun and his new journey at Yonsei University! Cheers!”

 

The restaurant booms with claps and clinking of glasses, along with patrons congratulating the said Byun Baekhyun.

 

Chanyeol at the side can only watch as the Byun Baekhyun, notability a head smaller than him even though he is standing a few feet away from his table, bows down with a tinge of pink on his cheeks as he plays with the hems of his sleeves, thanking a middle-aged couple profusely for congratulating him on their way out of the restaurant.

 

For some reason Chanyeol wants to keep looking— he cannot take his eyes off him.

 

“—anyeol? Chanyeollie?” Mrs Park waves her hands in front of her son who looks lost in thought.

 

Chanyeol snaps and blinks a few times. “Huh?”

 

“Are you okay, sweetheart? Do you want to go home and rest instead? We can take away your order, Yeollie,” Mrs Park offers. 

 

Chanyeol shakes his head. “No, it’s okay, mom— I was just... thinking .”

 

“Tch, don’t scare us like that, sweetheart,” Mrs Park huffs. 

 

All the while they have dinner, Chanyeol cannot stop thinking of the pink pouty lips and puppy-like male. 

 

What is happening to him? 

 

What is this feeling?

 

Once done with their dinner, the Park’s family driver stops the car at the side of the road right in front of the restaurant. 

 

Chanyeol finally puts on his mask in case people would recognise him in the streets when he sends his parents off. He hugs them both and with a promise to visit their home soon, they bid goodbye and drive off. 

 

Chanyeol turns on his heels and decides to enter the convenience store two shops down the eatery to get some snacks. 

 

His manager hyung is not there to nag his ears off for ignoring his diet— Chanyeol has been on a special protein-based diet for months because of the movie. Let him enjoy some snacks on his break too. Plus, it’s not like he has anything else to do during his break and will probably end up going to the gym to kill time.

 

So, Chanyeol opts to enjoy some instant processed food on his break, his manager had also promised to not bother him for a few weeks. No one cares what he will be eating now. 

 

To his surprise, Chanyeol finds none other than Byun Baekhyun perched up on the stool at the corner of the store and he gapes.

 

Because Baekhyun is eating an ice bar in this weather.

 

The rational part of his brain is telling him to exit the store as soon as he gets hold of a few packets of instant noodles and preheat meals, but all his conscience is thrown out of the window when he finds himself approaching the said male who is humming to an unknown tune while swinging his foot back and forth.

 

Chanyeol stands there, looking awkwardly stupid with two bags full of instant food in each of his hands. 

 

The other male seems to notice the addition of company he has and he whips his head to look at Chanyeol with a tilt of his head. 

 

When their eyes meet, Chanyeol feels himself melt , literally and figuratively. He feels his knees buckle under the innocent gaze.

 

The twinkle in the brunette’s eyes shot him right in the heart— capturing him, rendering him incapable of thinking rationally.

 

He feels his palm sweating and he blinks rapidly. He must’ve look dumb that Baekhyun ends up chuckling at him.

 

“Are you okay, mister?” Baekhyun asks in a small voice.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Aren’t those bags heavy? Would you like to take a seat beside me?”

 

Chanyeol snaps his head to look at the unoccupied stool beside the smaller male and nods. “Uh— yes, yes let me take a seat.”

 

He sees Baekhyun send him an amused smile, though the brunette doesn’t say anything else afterwards and turns to face the window again.

 

Chanyeol scolds himself for acting so dumb on their first official encounter. He just had to go and make a fool out of himself in front of his newfound crush. 

 

Chanyeol inhales loudly before he speaks up. “Congratulations by the way.”

 

Baekhyun turns to look at him with a puzzled look. “Huh?”

 

“I was there at the restaurant…”

 

“Oh…” Due to the close proximity, Chanyeol could physically see the red tints blossoming onto the smaller’s cheeks. “T-thank you… I didn’t notice you there.”

 

Chanyeol sends him a boyish smile. The male, obviously younger than him, is such a shy little thing. 

 

“That’s fine— there were a lot of customers. I was there with my parents,” Chanyeol adds.

 

Baekhyun nods a few times. “Ah, I see…”

 

“What courses will you take at Yonsei?” Chanyeol questions unconsciously. 

 

Only when Baekhyun looks at him like a deer caught in the headlights is then Chanyeol realises that they are nothing more than a mere stranger. He shouldn’t be asking such questions.

 

Flabbergasted, Chanyeol waves his hand dismissively. “Ah, you don’t have to answer me. Sorry if I made you uncomfortable, Baekhyun.”

 

“No— no, it’s alright. I’m just… caught off guard,” Baekhyun grins sheepishly. “B-but you know my name…?”

 

“I heard it at the restaurant— when your parents were doing the toast.”

 

“Ah… silly me,” Baekhyun scratches his nape. “I’m not sure yet about what I’ll be majoring in— but hm, it will probably be something in the Art and Design faculty.”

 

“Wow, so you draw?” 

 

Baekhyun nods. “A little.”

 

“You must be amazing at drawing! I would love to see your artwork one day!”

 

Baekhyun shakes his head at the compliment. Feeling shy, he twiddles with his fingers before locking his eyes with the stranger beside him. Those brown orbs look strangely familiar, Baekhyun thinks.

 

Where has he seen them before?

 

“Enough about me, what about you then? Why do you have two bags of instant food? It’s unhealthy, you know…” Baekhyun changes the subject and points to the plastic bags by his feet. He peeks into the bags to see its contents and eyes the taller male disapprovingly.

 

“I’m on a break.”

 

Before Baekhyun can question, the stranger pulls down his mask. Baekhyun nearly tumbles out of his chair, his face drains of colours as he gapes upon noticing who is beside him. 

 

He turns to face the window to look at the billboard across the street and turns back to look at the stranger back and forth.

 

“W-wait y-you’re... Park Chanyeol ?” he whispers the last part. 

 

“None other than that,” Chanyeol muses with a twitch on his lips, clearly enjoying the breakdown the smaller is having.

 

“O-oh my g-god,” Baekhyun splutters. “I can’t believe I’m actually talking to you!”









 

Ever since then, for nearly the whole month of his break, Chanyeol never fails to stop by the Byun’s restaurant once or twice a week.

 

At first, Baekhyun, like any other human being, was a bit sceptical with celebrities— especially an A-list celebrity like Chanyeol. He has heard of the rumours and gossip surrounding Chanyeol. 

 

But Chanyeol had proven that he was genuinely looking forward to forming a friendship with the youngest Byun— never crossing the line and always apologising if their skin had as much grazed each other. 

 

Baekhyun had thrown his suspicions out, he can see for himself that Chanyeol is not like what the news outlets had described him to be— but the problem is that he knows it’s not all about their friendship. 

 

He isn’t that dense to not notice that the celebrity has underlying feelings for him. 

 

Hell, even Mr and Mrs Byun notices the way the celebrity’s eyes twinkles in delight whenever he stops by and is informed that the youngest Byun is in the office upstairs.

 

But, Baekhyun… is conflicted with his own feelings.

 

The day that Baekhyun fears finally comes when Chanyeol had asked him to join for a drive to the Han River after dinner at Urban Soul.

 

Comfortable silence fills the car.

 

Chanyeol cannot help stealing glances at Baekhyun who is softly humming under his breath, seemingly oblivious to the tension in the taller’s shoulder and the way he gulps a few times to ease his nerves.

 

The veins in his arms are even protruding more than usual from the tight grip he has on the steering wheel.

 

They decide to park and stay in the car as the weather has turned colder, the first snow falling just two days prior to their drive, blanketing Seoul in white. 

 

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol calls.

 

The smaller male turns to look at the celebrity with an unconscious pout. “Hm?”

 

“I have to tell you something…” Chanyeol exhales, shifting in his seat as he turns to face the brunette. “I like you, Baekhyun.”

 

“Wha—”

 

“I’ve liked you since the day we met— when you ran into your mother’s arms, when you blushed when the patrons congratulated you. I like you when you ate the red bean ice bar in the middle of winter. I like you when you smile every time I compliment your drawings. I like you when you argue with me that the seafood flavoured ramyun tastes better than the original— I… I think I might even be in love with you,” Chanyeol breathes in one go. 

 

“Chany—”

 

“Was it love at first sight? It might as well be. The moment I laid my eyes on you, the moment I saw you smile, I just knew… I want you. We’ve only known each other for a little under a month but I love you so much, Byun Baekhyun. It’s so hard to not love when you’re… you . You make me so happy, Baek,” Chanyeol ends with a soft huff, closing his eyes as he fears the brunette’s reaction.

 

When the pregnant silence fills the car once again for another minute or so, Chanyeol peeks with one eye to see Baekhyun with unshed tears glimmering in his eyes.

 

What has he done? “, Baekhy—”  

 

“Will you let me speak now?” the brunette cuts him off.

 

“...yes.”

 

Baekhyun wipes the unshed tears from his eyes and inhales deeply, calming himself from the overwhelming emotion. “I like you too, Chanyeol.”

 

Chanyeol nearly lurches forward to gather the smaller into his arms when Baekhyun continues, halting his movement.

 

“— b-but I’m afraid… I’m afraid of the public finding out…” Baekhyun whispers. Even as a non-celebrity, he is well aware of how unforgiving some ‘fans’ are. “What will happen to your career, Chanyeol?”

 

“Nothing, Baek. Nothing will happen because I’m a perfectly capable 24-year-old who can live my life as I want— my fan's opinion doesn’t matter, my true fans should be happy with whoever I decide to date, Baek,” Chanyeol exasperates and extends his hands out to grab Baekhyun’s fingers into his hold. “I cannot promise that problems won’t arise— I’m a celebrity who has a bunch of crazy reporters after every step I take. It won’t be easy but if you’re willing to try, I promise to put your safety above everything.”

 

Chanyeol tilts the smaller’s chin up, softly smiling as he gently wipes the droplets of tears that have finally fallen to wet Baekhyun’s cheeks.

 

“Will you be my boyfriend, Byun Baekhyun?”

 

“ Yes — yes, I will.”

 

“Can I kiss you?”

 

At Baekhyun’s shy nod, Chanyeol closes the distance between them and finally captures the pink rosy lips between his own. 

 

Baekhyun tugs Chanyeol’s coat, gripping it for life as the taller deepens the kiss. He feels lightheaded— as if he is floating somewhere in a faraway land and he whines when Chanyeol pulls away, a little breathless before he loops his arms around the taller’s neck, sealing their lips once again.

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter