03-||BDTH||

02-Back Door To Hell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A few weeks had passed. All filled with condolences of my best friend who had passed away. Quite frankly they sounded half-hearted and meaningless. They were all absolutely oblivious of the cruel fact that she had betrayed us. How ironic. ‘Congratulations on becoming a hero’. It's funny how I don't feel like one. And of course, more pressure. My boss is constantly pushing me for progress on the case of the missing women ever since two more women recently went missing.

I flicker through the case files once again in hope to find anything useful. My eyes glide over a certain name yet I can't help but rack my brain over it again and again.

 

Kwon Nari.

 

She was a girl I once knew. She's not the only one. There are about two to three more missing women whom I had met in my life. We went to the same secondary school. But I don't think that's something we can go off from though.

It's highly possible that it's just a coincidence of a handful of them studying at the same school. As far as we could tell, they all pretty much lost contact with each other once they moved on.

Over a span of three months. A total of eight women have disappeared. Their last known locations were either cafes, hotels or their homes.

We traced back to the previous locations of the past two weeks, in order to learn exactly what the women had done and whom they had come in contact with during that time.

Some had spent the day at work, others - home or at the shopping centre. At some point during the course of the two weeks, all the victims had visited a nail salon. However, that may be ruled out as a coincidence as they visited it days before their disappearance. Also, it’s quite a renowned salon that most women of this town stop by. Same can be said for the regular visits to the shopping centres and public library.

 

The doorbells ring, snapping me out of my thoughts. “What are you doing here?” I can't help but ask. A familiar someone barges her away through my front door. “Hey! I'm talking to you. How did you find out where I live?!” Areum, my younger sister, turns the corner into the kitchen yanking open a draw.

“Do you have any jam? Preferably, blueberry jam,” she quips. Areum peels off her mustard coat letting it fall to the ground. “It's so warm in here you should open a window,” she complains. She balances on her tiptoes as she peers through the shelves. “And I asked Yuri where you live.”

“Aren't you supposed to be in school?” I stroll over, placing her coat over my arm. No wonder she’s complaining about the heat. I mean have you seen the size of her jacket? not to mention it's covered with fur on the inside. “The jam is over here. It's raspberry. Deal with it.'' I motion to the jar sitting comfortably beside the toaster. “And look at me when I’m talking to you.” I scold as she waddles over to grab a plate and a slice of bread.

“Schools closed for today. ‘Teacher Training’, they said.” she answers, applying an even amount of jam over the bread. Areum lifts her head suddenly, as if she's remembered something. “Oh, where's Jeongin gone?”

“Who?”

“Keep up May.” She groans. May. it's been a while since I've heard that name. A name, my beloved younger sister came up with while we were kids. It was a well-known fact that no one apart from my parents were allowed to call me by my birth name. As a result, Areum came up with May. M for Mirae. (Our mothers name) A for Areum and Y for Yuri.

 

“Wasn't there a boy behind me when I came in?” she pulls herself up onto the kitchen counter. I shake my head perplexed. She simply shrugs her shoulders, taking a bite into her sandwich. “Listen sis,” she jumps off the counter, making her way over to me. “I was thinking,” I eye her cautiously as she stands beside me. “Let's go out. Just you and me-”

“No”

“Aw! Why not?!” she huffs. “You never spend any time with me. And you wonder why i like Yuri over you!”

“And is that supposed to be my fault!? You act like a baby all the time.”

“The audacity!” she seethes, throwing her hands in the air. “I do not. You know very well that it's all the pills’ fault not me.

“I need to work.”

“All you need to do is work. You never have any time for me. You’re all ‘business and study’,” she huffs, shoving the rest of her sandwich in . “Let's make a bet,” she suggests after her mini tantrum. I walk over to grab a half cold cup of coffee.

Taking a sip, I place my cup back down in disgust. Yup, that's definitely cold. I'll just make it again.

Areum follows me as she explains her ‘bet’. “You hang out with me today and if I ‘act like a baby’ then you never have to bother with me ever again. But if I don't... I will come for sleepovers every weekend.”

“Bit excessive, no?” I stir the brown mixture in my mug. “Fine. If it means I don't have to put up with you then let's give it a shot,” I say, a little too hopeful. She sneers sticking her tongue out.

“But--” she stops me. “I get to pick what we do.” a hint of mischief flickering in her eyes.

 

####

 

“Hurry along, May,” Areum chimes, leaving me to follow along, arms hoarded with countless shopping bags. With no need to consume her medication, she takes up the role of royalty, her snarky tone polished with elegance. Even the way she walks holds a hint of gracefulness.

“Let's stop for a second!” I groan, dragging my feet across the ruff gravel.

The number of shops I've entered empty-handed and exited, milked of my money (of course, none of which was spent on me) is horrendous. It's terrifying seeing my baby sister act all grown up and spoilt. I can almost empathize with whoever makes the mistake of marrying her.

“Fine, we shall rest momentarily in that cafe.” I hear the light giggling of her enjoying her little role play session.

I huff dropping the bags onto the seat, Areum sliding into the opposite side of the booth. The cafe bell singles the entry of a new customer. “Stay right here and protect the bags with your life,” I order, Areum frivolously nods her head. “I spent almost all my monthly salary on that.”

 

Making my way to the counter, I order a coffee for myself and a hot chocolate for my sister. The barista hands over the mugs. With a simple ‘thank you’, I turn to the table only to see the exact thing I tried to prevent happening.

“AREUM!” I yell. The girl's eyes instantly snapping away from her phone. On command, her body jolts and with a screech, she throws her entire body weight onto the suspicious male, whose hand just ‘happens’ to have found its way inside my handbag.

Taken aback by her sudden action, I take in the scene: my sister attacks the male with a spoon while the latter tries to crawl away, my bag clenched in his hand. The customers and workers in a state of shock watching the scene unfold with confusion. He breaks free, tossing my sister to a side. Her scream is what pulls me back to reality.

 

Dropping the mugs onto the table, unbeknownst of whether the contents are now displayed on the surface or not, I bolt out of the cafe. Unaware of the stinging pain on the back of my hands, I wipe away the wet liquid as I run. The thief pushes those in his way, sprinting down the street. Turning on my heel, I chase after him.

“STOP, THIEF!” Yelling, I alert the passers-by, hoping someone attempts to stop him.

From somewhere behind me I hear a “Get him!!” -- Areum screaming from the top of her lungs.

 

“OI! STOP!” Shouting whilst running only makes my body ache more. The robber turns his head, getting a good glance at the growing distance between us. His hands extend knocking a stand of flowerpots. The clash of solid mud against the asphalt. Soil flies through the air. Squeezing my eyes shut, I brace for the incoming assault of soil particles.

 

Jumping over the collapsed table, I grimace of having to run twice as fast. “STOP, ALREADY!” Willing myself to move faster, I gradually get closer. Wheelie bin after wheelie bin, the robber knocks them over constantly turning his head back. “HEY, YOU! STOP HIM!!” I point to a male further ahead exiting a shop. He whips his head in both directions alarmed.

The man clicks into action chasing after the thief. Thank goodness.

In a few strides, the male grips the thief by the hood, halting him. With that, he trips with a grunt and tumbles onto the pavement. “F-finally” gasping for air I lean down pinning his arm behind his back. His cap is knocked off his head, revealing his appearance. I notice the deep red scar running along the side of his face.

 

Pulling out my badge, I flash it in front of his face. “You’re… you're under arrest-” taking a moment, I catch my breath. “For attempted robbery.” Please say I brought my handcuffs with me. Hesitantly I reach for my back pocket internally praying. “For the love of-” I hiss feeling the empty space.

"Are you looking for this?” the male who I had completely forgotten about, hands me my set of handcuffs. “Thanks.” cuffing the thief, the male helps me haul him up. “Oh and thank you for helping me.” I give a smile. He nods his head dusting out his hoodie and jeans. Now that I’ve got the chance, I run my eyes over him. Around twenty odd years, neat dark hair and pretty tall.

“Is this yours?” He hands me my bag with a grin. I'd forgotten about that too. I feel silly needing to say ‘thanks’ a third time. Gingerly, I reach out and take my bag back. “So, you're with the police force?” he motions to my badge.

“Huh, yeah.” a nervous laugh leaves my lips. What the heck is wrong with me?!

 

“HEY, SIS!” Areum hollers panting, with two more people following behind her. Both of them holding tens of shopping bags. “Did you get him? Oh, you did. Cool!”

“Excuse me. WHAT is going on here?!” a familiar deep almost sassy like voice calls from behind my sister. Felix drops the bags gathered in his arms. The other person, much younger, around Areums age, timidly pokes his head out from behind her.

 

“HE TRIED TO ROB YOU?!” Felix thunders. He attempts to push past me and grab the thief. “And who are you?” he finally acknowledges the male whose name I still don't know. “Wait a minute.” he narrows his eyes, his demeanour slowly changing, a dark aura possessing him. He takes a step forward in front of me. Areum releases a slight gasp at the growing tense air.

 

“What are you doing here?” he hisses. The latter’s face morphs into a smirk.

“You know each

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter