01-||BDTH||

02-Back Door To Hell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Why are you following me again?” I asked, releasing an exasperated sigh. Without waiting for him, I unlock the door to my house and slam it shut. “That's not nice.” His raspy voice whispers as he appears right in front of me. I stumble back momentarily startled as he chuckles.

You'd think I'd be used to this by now but no -- everyday for 3 years, the same person continues to haunt me. At first, he became my imaginary friend as a young child, so young that I didn't even recognise or remember him. And years later, he resurfaced as my personal stalker. He makes it his daily goal to annoy me. What else can he do? It's not like we chose to be stuck together for eternity. I just happen to have rotten luck.

Ignoring his solid figure, I head to the bathroom to cool down. I splash some cold water onto my face, instantly reducing the heat. “Rough day today?” I glance at my reflection in the mirror but instead of being greeted by my face, it's replaced by someone else’s. Felix stares back. His ruffled up yet perfect tufts of bleached blonde hair, travel down till his eyebrows, which he raises, amused. And his plump lips curl into his signature smirk as his earring on his left earlobe dangles down.

“Leave me alone, Felix!” I groan, flicking water on the mirror. The image vanishes replacing it with my own. I sluggishly make my way to the dining table where my bag rests.

“Whoa, you said my name. You really must be pissed!” He sounds astonished. It's not in here!!! Tipping the bag upside down, the contents spill out but I can't seem to find my phone. “It's on the sofa.” His deep voice echoes around the house.

I march across the room. My sparkly grey phone cover is indeed there. “Aw, not gonna say thank you?” He sarcastically complains.

“Shut up.'' I mumble before disappearing into my bedroom, harshly closing it with a bang.

“What's wrong, Princess?” His figure pops up leaning against my work desk.

“Don't call me that! It makes me cringe.” I warn sitting crossed legged on my bed. I begin to scroll through my phone. “Lets see what I can find to make my day practically hell.” I'm currently working on a case about a group of women that have recently gone missing. Despite the lack of evidence and information, my boss keeps pushing for progress. As expected, there's a ton of messages from him complaining. But I'm looking for something else.

“I don't know whether to take that as a compliment or be deeply offended.” He falls onto my bed on his back as his tongue pokes the inside of his cheek. “Be quiet, Demon,” I order.

“I'm bored.” He stretches his arms purposely so that they block my view of my phone. Pushing his arms away he rolls onto his stomach. “I'm not just a regular demon. How many times must I remind you? I am the son of the King of the Underworld. I am a prince, a successor, an heir etcetera etcetera.”

“What do you want me to call you today?” Felix questions out of boredom, fiddling with the covers. It’s been a long time since I’ve used my birth name. Even though I've known him half my life, ignoring his existence, my real name is something I can't and won’t share. “Moody? Meanie? Rude one?” he smirks as I sneer at him.

“Funny,'' I sarcastically murmur as I narrow my eyes at a specific email.

“What are we going to eat today? I'm hungry.” He whines in a kinda cute way… STOP. There is no way you're going to let yourself fall for him. The whole bloody reason you moved away from your family was to leave behind your life. Falling for him wont change a thing.

“What do you want to eat?” I ask, turning away. Felix makes a long humming sound in consideration with his hand under his chin.

“Pizza,” he decides.

“Fine.”

“Found it.” I say. Felix peeks at the screen. Cautiously I open the email and click on the link provided. My heart speeds up in anticipation.

“Is it the CCTV footage?” He asks, I reply with a nod.

The video plays. It's a dark alleyway. The footage is from a camera of a shoe shop. Two figures emerge, both with hoods on concealing their identities. Judging by their physique, they are both males. The taller one pulls out a bag from the inside of his jacket. He tentatively extends his arm towards the second male. Who in turn pulls out an envelope. Clearly dealing with something illegal, most likely drugs.

As they begin to exchange their packages the second male whips out a little thing obviously resembling a knife. Instantly he plunges it towards the first male stabbing his torso. Grabbing the bag he intends to make a get away but the injured male holds onto him. Without a second thought he brutally kicks him in the face before disappearing into the alley. The first male is left on the ground and eventually dies of excessive bleeding.

Felix watches with uninterested eyes. Shooing him away, I pull out my laptop and download the video file. “Did you see it?'' I ask him. His silence gives me his answer. “Look again.'' I turn the screen so it faces him.

“Nope. What's there to see? The dude stabbed the other dude and ran away.” Giving him an eye roll I replay the video this time in slow motion. The second the man whips out his knife I pause the video and enlarge the image. “Look now.” he squints his eyes in concentration but shakes his head when he doesn't spot anything.

“Look closer.” pulling the laptop back to me I begin to explain. “When the man pulls out his knife, the light from the streetlamp hits it allowing us to see a very faint logo. It's so faint it's almost as if it's not there.” I fiddle with it, adjusting the image. “See?” I point to an engraved mark of a bird, presumably an eagle inside a circle. Which is exactly what I've been looking for!

Felix moves back with an “ahhhh” as realisation hits him. “You and your detective skills,” he grins proudly. “Think you'll finally get a promotion?” He mimics my position, sitting opposite me.

“Doubt it.” I state sullenly.

“Even though you landed upon the crime scene first, found the evidence: CCTV footage, and you’ve just figured out who was behind the attack. You've practically solved the case yourself” He states in disbelief waving his hand. “They won't listen to a ‘rookie’ like me. To them i'm just an inexperienced wannabe.” Commenting in disgust, I open my wardrobe and begin to fish for something.

“But you're gonna go and try anyway.” Felix comments proudly making himself comfortable by lying down on my bed.

“I'm taking a quick shower. Don't you dare move from this room!” I yell making my way to the bathroom.

“There's no point in locking the door when I can just teleport in there. You know that!” He shouts exactly as I begin to lock the bathroom door. But I lock it regardless. His teasing is too annoying. “Why say it if you're never gonna do it anyways?!” I angrily mumble.

 

####

 

Drying my hair with the dryer, I observe Felix is nowhere to be seen. Eh, it's normal. He's always coming and going as he pleases. “HOLY- '' I yell, my hand rising over my heart from shock. the hairdryer falling from my hand only for the male to stop it mid-air -- with whatever powers he possesses -- before it hits the floor. “Where the hell did you come from?'' I snap, taking it from him and place it on the bed momentarily.

“Came back from the Underworld,” Felix says nonchalantly, shrugging his shoulders. He takes it upon himself to settle on my bed. I take note of the faint bruise on his cheek “Oh, by the way, your sister, Yuri, was it, phoned. She said she's coming over soon.”

“Did you answer her call?!” practically leaping towards my phone I see three missed calls from her and a couple of text messages. “No, no why is she coming here?!'' I panic running a hand through my partially dry hair. “She can't come here. SHE CAN'T SEE YOU!” Waving my hands about, I rush around the room picking up pieces of clothing and shoving them in the closet. “You! You need to disappear.”

“Rude

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter