Bittersweet Farewells

Bittersweet Farewells
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I don't understand why you even have to take this seminar. We are seniors for gods sake? Do you have spare time for this ?" Heechul whined, his face a full display of his displeasure and lack of sleep. Senior year thesis was already keeping them both up for 4 days, the only reason he hadn't flipped the whole exhibition table they were seated at was the food that adorned it. "It's extra credit. Now stop talking and conserve your energy." Jungsoo mumbled, his face just as haggard, picking up the dumplings on the table kept for refreshments, and unconsciously feeding heechul with his chopsticks. "Jungsoo ya, I'm still hungry." He turned his eyes from where he'd been spacing out just to see jungsoo lying on the table, looking like he might pass out. But his eyes were open, head turned towards him, gazing at him softly. He almost looked like he didn't even want to blink, capturing heechuls eyes and drawing him in.

 

Heechuls heart sped up, it was taking his whole to not embrace the other and smell in the his scent. his face and scold him to not look at him like that. Like he always had. Sighing tiredly, he broke eye contact and turned to his bag. "I have an energy bar somewhere. Since your stomachs bad, try to eat this a little." He tore the wrapper neatly and pressed the bar to the others dry lips. Jungsoo opened his lips and bit the soft bar but before Heechul could withdraw his hand, he caught his wrist and slid his finger to hold his hand in place, imitating them holding hands. Then Jungsoo, under the pretext of taking a bite from the bar, scooted forward and bit Heechuls hand mischievously. He withdrew his hand immediately and hit the others head with the bar. All jungsoo did was giggle and turned his head away. Before he could react anyway, a voice came from the other side of heechuls. "You two really stop acting like only you two exist in this room. Act normal for God's sake." It was the right decision to make ryeowook sit beside them. Hes the only one who had the guts and the power to bring them out of their bubble.

They were currently seated in the visible part of the table and everyone could see this odd couple feed food and water, smile, whisper and look at each other like there isn't a whole seminar happening around them. But the whole college, including the professors, could never bring themselves to openly show them how odd a vibe their normal mutual actions gave them, out of pure fear and/or respect. Merit students like them were rare to come across so no one bothered them. But they really took it too far in public sometimes, which makes the whole campus happy for the existence of ryeowook and sungmin. Sungmin, who was seated on the other side of jungsoo, said "I am actually engaged and you guys are too much even for me." He shook his head and looked back at the presentation. He probably missed the soft "I envy you." that jungsoo said under his breath, but not Heechul.

The frown on his face deepened as his mind wandered to all dark places like it has been for the past few months. College life was ending and ambitious people as they were they all had their plans, but it did not include each. In retrospect, their kind of romance it was all very stupid and impulsive, but he couldn't bring himself to regret. It stabbed his heart that he had a person for 7 years of life and still somehow couldn't have his fill of him. But it was probably right to end it here. Afterall, neither of them had the confidence of holding on anymore.

Not when jungsoos parents refuse to talk to him till he returned "normal"; not when this world was the way it was. Especially not when the other party has not spoken a word of it, choosing to act like nothing's happened. Hell if Heechul's ego made him go talk about their soon ending college life and romance.

 

 

The seminar was finally over by late noon. Heechul treaded slowly, uncharacteristic for him because he loved to keep himself busy and was always in a hurry to be places and see people. But today, just one matter ate him up completely. Going to the secluded part of their dorm parking, he stood still before a dusty cover over a bike. As he pulled the cover away and gazed at his beloved beautiful bike, his heart felt even heavier. He still remembered it clear as a day how much he had struggled to get this bike from his dad, maintaining good grades for 2 whole years. But it wasn't even half as cool as he expected it to be, shortly meeting with an accident after. The fuss over his hospital stay, his leg and the semester he would have definitely had to skip if it wasn't for that one guy who wouldn't leave him the alone.

He gets it. Saying goodbye can be one of the most difficult things to do. It's not like he was very thrilled about it. But this feeling of his people slipping away was even worse.

As he rode through the campus on his bike one last time, he took in all the trees, streets and the vast grounds. His best years were spent here, everyone who passed by greeted him, knew him. The more of the faculty buildings he saw the more melancholy he got. It's not like they would break contact after college, but it wouldn't be the same. That's for sure. As he rode, lost in thoughts, he spotted their usual gang up ahead. Immediately spotting him, they called him over excitedly.

"Hyung let's go to our usual club tonight!! We were just talking about how its the basically the place we all met for the 1st time and got close!" Donghae shouted as Heechul halted his bike. "OH! Hyung this bike! Hadn't you sold it?" He remembered he had lied about selling it once after he gave tiffany a ride and jungsoo wouldn't stop being petty over it. Ah how long ago even was that?! "Um…. I hadn't sold it. I just let someone borrow it. Anyway, I'm down to party. What time?" Changing the subject he thought he escaped it when he heard a voice behind him. Turning around he saw jungsoo coming towards them. The flowering trees colorfully lined the background as he walked graciously towards them, wearing a red bomber jacket. It was Heechul's.

"Guys, I think I'll be able to come but only after 10. Even then I won't be able to stay for long. Shouldn't have kept so many things for last minute." He mumbled, the frown between his brows having become permanent these last few weeks. Looking up at Heechul he smiled, "Hey heenim. Didn't you go home yet?" Heechul was suddenly nervous about the bike. He really hadn't cared when he brought it out again but now that the other stood there, his legendary tantrums and his fussing was all he could remember. "Oh your bike…. I never got to ride it." that took him by surprise. Not only was it unexpected but he realized that he indeed hadn't rode the bike. He had wanted to run his stupid ex schoolmate and now batchmate over for 1st 2 years and after the accident they finally became close but the bike was never trusted. Jungsoo had a weird sort of fear of riding pillion for anyone. "Want me to give you a ride to your dorms?" Heechul asked hopefully. In the last years, he had tried tirelessly to get jungsoo to go to parties, drink and just get out of his own world. He loved how obediently he followed him whenever and wherever, trusting him blindly and just loved to show jungsoo the world through his eyes. It's one of their most treasured side of each other. Jungsoo was so easy to read, it amazed him how people thought he was complex. The other looked at him with his dimples. Jungsoo could be dog tired but there was this smile he reserved for Heechul. It made the flowering trees bloom a little more every time.

"Nope. Take me all the way to my house?" He was taken aback. He had come out to his family about liking a man just a few months ago, more out of his anger on his parents than anything else, which had caused the two to also have a huge fight. To say the least, he would be the least welcome. But obviously he couldn't refuse him, not right now. So for the first time after 7 years of knowing each other, he took him on his bike.

"I see you wear a helmet now." "Geez I just don't want you to nag again." He heard a chuckle behind before two hands removed the helmet that was shoved carelessly over his head. "Wha- what you doing-??" Heechul exclaimed. But he got no response, fingers brushing through his silky ear length dark blonde hair. His heart felt like it was flying, the elation making him speed up. The hands combed through his hair a few more times before going down around his waist and tightening securely. Jungsoo rested his chin on his shoulder, talking smoothly in his ear.

"You remember soyeon? That girl in our neighborhood who was your first girlfriend here? I once saw you guys on this bike and the beautiful smile on your face when she your hair, and I know how sensitive you are about your hair. That's the second I knew how much I wanted to see you smile like that. It's the second I knew something was wrong with me. The thought disgusted me so much I refused to allow myself to sit behind you. I was so stupid. I'm sorry….." Heechul guessed with his heart clenching like this, he lost the opportunity to say how much more he loved when it was him running his hand through his hair. 

 

For the rest of the ride, Jungsoo remained silent, face buried in his shoulder and the grip around his waist not loosening for a second. Which worked out for Heechul because he was riding fast to hide his tears. Jungsoo, you really have a way to be cruel to yourself. Apologize to yourself, you idiot. 

 


 

The party was full fledged with all outgoing seniors enjoying like it was their last night. The energy was crazy, pulsating music, unlimited drinks and warm friendship everywhere you could see. All of their extended group was seated at the usual crowded corner. Pleasantly buzzing with alcohol, Jungsoo laughed and annoyed everyone at the table.

Goodbyes can wait, now he just wanted to spoil everyone in his sight before he leaves this place. Hyukjae was the saddest one when they all came in first, his eyes all moist and face small. He was afterall jungsoos first roommate. He had even been helping him pack everything up. But as they got more drunk, hyukjae proved to be the mood lifter and now donghae and a very drunk Siwon were recalling all their memories in this dingy bar. Siwons first birthday party where Zhoumi had thrown up on him, Gengs break up stories, hyukjae's epic hookup fail and so many more.

Heechul joined them a little later with sungmin just as everyone was exclaiming about how Heechul and Jungmo had performed here for a solid month. "Hyung!! Is there even anything you did not try these 4 years? You must have like, no regrets!! No wonder you are my favourite." Kibum, who was the closest one to him and very drunk, exclaimed and jumped up to hug him. He was taken back at the topics and warm gazes. "You guys and I remember that stint very differently." He sat down, animatedly explaining how he had to do it for free after drunk roasting every goddam singer who performed there who then refused to perform there. Drunk Heechul was a whole ride. But he was glad because that's how he met jungmo from Music Department and forced him into a duet, making one of his most trusted friend. "Trust me, I regret a ton of that." He said as he swept his eyes around at his people.

 

Yes, they were his people now. Making them laugh, familiar warm eyes shining with love and respect for their crazy hyung. Jungsoo could spot that look so easily, pretty sure it was the same as his eyes. So, when their eyes meet, they naturally held each other, like they always had. Sometimes it feels almost stupid that they didnt know it was love they felt. Jungsoo smiled his dimple, "We need more drinks." He said distracting everyone. "Oh! The hyungs are buying obviously go get us a round!" Kyuhyun shouted cheekily and he pretended to hit his head as he got up and went to the bar. Heechul was already there and ordered, so he stood next to him.

"You don't look like you actually regretted it all that much." He leaned against the dirty counter, referring the story he told them. "Hmm. I have other things I regret. Like not making a move on the day you leant exactly like this and offered to buy me a drink? Was it 4 years ago now?" Jungsoos eyes widened. Embarrassment crept in form of a blush, "…. Wasn't that like in 1st year??!" Heechul could laugh forever at the mere memory. "Yeah you dork!! You bought me a drink and then I turned around to see the cutie who bought me a drink and you were disgusted I was a boy not a chic with long hair!!" 

"Oh God please stop heenim!!" Jungsoo buried his face in his hands as the two laughed. "It was my favorite drink too."

" I know. That's why I had ordered it." That didn't sound right. "Don't bluff. You didn't even know it was me." Jungsoo looked up at him with a look in his eyes that makes his spine tingle. "You really think I'm stupid enough to actually be offended at you for not being a girl? I thought you figured out later that I was throwing you off to get your attention?" Jungsoo said, genuinely surprised. "What??! So you flirted with me by provoking me?" "Yeah! I know you since school heenim. I know your favorite drink and I know the only way you were going to remember a man when you surrounded by 10 women is if they provoke you." 

Heechul folded his arms and glared at the other. "That's ed up dude." "I know. That's why it didn't work right? You hated me for the next 2 years." He still couldn't bring himself to be angry about it though. When he looked at jungsoo, all he could do was think of the way his favorite drink always reminded him of the weirdo who he fought with. Maybe it didn't completely not work. He felt so much excitement rush into his blood everytime he thought of he was silently but intensely pursued by this man. "Let me ask you just one thing. Was it you who made the mandatory hair length rule disappear? Because you threw a fit about my hair too…" Jungsoo scratched his head, "Look that was not intentional. I just happened to have the power and access so…" Heechul scoffed, of course he didn't feel like he ever got enough of this man. No wonder he never thought he never got enough of him even if they couldn't stand each other so many times.

 

Just as he was thinking about to deal with this news, the entire club bursted into a loud cheer. They both looked at the commotion near their table and their eyes landed on sungmin and his fiance in tight embrace. Siwon came running towards them, the giant frame of a business major, shouting "Hyung!! Our sungmin ah is getting married next week! We are all invited!!" They looked at each other. That was unexpected. Even though they were engaged, their parents were pretty much against it, saying they were too young. But when they looked at how deeply in love the two were, sungmin whirling sa eun around and her laughing crazily, it seemed simple. When you are this happy, there are no second thoughts.

Heechul looked at the man next to him, wondering how it would feel to be so surely and unapologetically in love that you don't have a second of doubt. Jungsoo turned to him at that second and looked at him like he had heard the question in his mind, his lips on his own the next second. The whole bar was packed and celebrating and loud, no one paying attention to the two kissing like it was the only source of oxygen. Heechul was the one to break it, out of air and his depth. Jungsoos kisses had always sent him reeling and he gets more excited when they do it public as rarely as that was. This was the main problem- nothing about them was exclusive. It felt like just yesterday they had fought over why Heechul was sitting in the teachers seat and making doodles of him as a class monitor, hating the fact that they ended up in the same college. And suddenly one day he woke up and decided jungsoo HAD to be the best kisser because no one who looks at his girlfriend like that was a bad kisser. Hostility melted to familiarity, arguments led to understanding and frustration was just their . They had changed their relationship status so many ti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter