Final

Notes

Since she was a kid, note-taking has always been Irene’s way of remembering certain things.

 

Whether its a random knowledge fact, a new toy or detergent worth buying, and even recipes that she wants to try, she’ll jot it down in her mini purple notepad for safekeeping.

 

And every night before going to sleep, Irene would write on her purple journal with the help of the things she has noted throughout the day.

 

Despite some people saying that taking notes in this new digital era is quite silly, Irene found it helpful for her memory. There’s also a nostalgic feeling in writing on a piece of paper that calms her mood instantly.

 

This tradition of hers continued until she entered university, and her mini notepad from childhood has turned into this thick A4 purple journal, full of her academic notes as well as casual musings.

 

All of these changed, however, when Wendy Son came into the picture. 

 

You see, Irene doesn’t usually give a damn about other people. She was happy in her own little bubble, with only a few close friends keeping her afloat and alive amidst all the pressures of being an exemplary scholar.

 

But when Wendy first entered their literature class, the new transfer student from Canada unknowingly wormed her way into Irene’s life and mostly her thoughts.

 

Her daily note-taking routine from before began to focus on Wendy alone.

 

Sometimes, her notes about the younger student were just simple.

 

 

I like her look today. 

 

Wow, her voice is so deep.

 

She has a good point regarding the protagonist’s character.

 

Her laugh is so contagious.

 

What a dork.

 

 

In other days, Irene just can’t stop spazzing about Wendy which is shown in her aggressive scribbles.

 

 

I love her new hair! Her forehead along with her cute ears with the little piercings can be seen more in that style.

 

She read out her poem assignment and it was in full English. I need to learn more English so that I can understand her better next time.

 

I can’t believe I forgot to bring my Post-It page markers. She must have noticed my distress so she gave me her own set. It was decorated with cartoon chipmunks which resembles her so much. I am so lucky today!

 

I should be happy that I am grouped with her but we’re also with these flirty cheerleaders. I just want to scream and remind them that we are having a book review discussion. And they are not supposed to flirt with the transferee!

 

What an annoying chipmunk! She thinks she can just get away with it by showing me her heart-stopping dimple? Despite her being the main reason why I spilled Coke all over my favourite white polo? 

.

.

.

.

.

Yes, she can. Ugh, I hate my clumsy .

 

 

After she jotted that last thought, Irene closed her notebook and sighed loudly. 

 

It was already the last day of their semester, and the class was currently celebrating it with their literature professor. They decided to organise a simple farewell party in their classroom, and bought several food trays and non-alcoholic beverages for sharing.

 

To make it even funnier, they decided to wear costumes as their favourite literary characters.

 

Since she really doesn’t like dressing up, Irene decided to go with her typical white buttoned polo partnered with a modest, black skirt. She just borrowed her older sister Taeyeon’s Harry Potter robes, scarf and socks so as to complete the typical look of a Hogwarts student.

 

But fate has its way of messing with her when a proud Wendy in a ridiculous chipmunk onesie entered their classroom, causing her to laugh and clap hard at the funny yet adorable sight.

 

However, Irene didn’t notice that her abrupt movements had caused her Coke in can to tilt towards her and spill all over her front.

 

Irene shrieked hard in surprise which caught the attention of the class, especially Wendy who immediately ran to her with a huge packet of wet tissues in her hands.

 

She was flustered being the recipient of her crush’s caring actions and the entire ordeal went by as a blur to Irene. She just knew that Wendy had helped her clean the spill, assisted her until the restrooms and had even lent her own blue polo which she was wearing now.

 

She couldn’t even utter a simple ‘Yes’ or ‘Thanks’ throughout the encounter, she was just nodding whenever Wendy was asking her if she’s okay.

 

Irene couldn’t wait to go home and just write on her journal in agony, and perhaps scream into her pillow before going to sleep. What a way to embarrass herself and act like an ungrateful person in front of her crush when it’s the last day of their classes together. 

 

After all, she and Wendy were taking different majors (Irene in broadcasting while Wendy is in mathematics) so its sad that this could’ve been her chance to talk more to her crush. 

 

But at least the gods above pitied her. She successfully got the younger’s number without any sweat as Wendy had asked to exchange contact details so that she can return the polo after washing it.

 

The question is, can she even have the courage to text Wendy when she just wants to hide from her forever and remain single?

 

Yes, she’s kinda overreacting at that last part but that’s just how Irene is.

 

Once their professor had left after saying his speech, Irene didn’t waste any second and grabbed all the things placed on her desk before running out.

 

She didn’t see how Wendy was about to reach out to her in panic as she bolted herself out of the room like Flash.

 

When she was already in a safe distance away from the campus, Irene let out a tired sigh and began walking towards the bus stop.

 

Sitting down at the waiting shed, Irene decided to open the thick notebook cradled in her arms.

 

At first, she didn’t notice that instead of her purple one, she was holding an A4 blue graphing notebook.

 

So it came as a surprise to her when she saw Wendy’s neat handwriting.

 

But aside from the graphs and various shapes with calculations, there were a number of scribbles with her name being mentioned.

 

 

She’s the prettiest woman I have ever seen.

 

Irene is really fit as an announcer. Her tone is just excellent.

 

Her mind amazes me.

 

Happiness suits her. I want to make her smile too.

 

I made her laugh today. Good job Wendy!

 

 

As Irene read through each page, her heart swelled with so much emotions for her younger crush.

 

 

I hope Irene likes my shorter hair. Her friends, Joy and Yeri, said it will work like magic. Seulgi also bought me bubble tea for good luck. I appreciate her friends so much.

 

I kind of hinted my admiration for her in that English poem assignment. Did she figure it out yet? I should try learning Hangul more though to write better poems for Irene in the future.

 

I gave my favorite chipmunk page markers to Irene since she forgot hers. It was a Disney limited edition set, but seeing her smile was worth it.

 

Lucky that I’m in a group with Irene for the book review. But why does she look angry today? Only Sana, Jennie, Rosé, and Sejeong are talking to me. I hope she’s okay.

 

I will wear my chipmunk onesie today and hopefully I can ask for her number. It’s our last day of classes so Wendy hwaiting!

 

 

Upon reading the last note, Irene immediately closed the notebook and was about to dash back into the campus to meet its rightful owner. 

 

When she stood and looked up, she was met with the sight of Wendy running towards her, still wearing her chipmunk onesie and with a familiar purple notebook in her arm.

 

She stopped a few steps away from where she’s standing while catching her breath.

 

There was a glow in Wendy’s eyes as she regained her composure. 

 

“I want to know all about you, Irene. And I also want you to know everything about me. More than the notes we have both written in the past few months.”

 

Irene responded with a bashful smile of her own.

 

“Me too, Wendy. Let’s know all about each other. Together.”

 

A beaming Wendy then moved towards her before engulfing her into a warm and gentle hug.

 

Irene giggled softly against the younger’s shoulder as the realisation sets in.

 

Taking notes isn't so silly after all. Especially when you’re in love.