Tales Of A Escape

Into The Fox Eyes

The night passed by quickly, as they struggled to walk as far as they could, trusting the rain to hide their tracks and Minjoo’s abilities to confuse anyone who tried to follow them. Minjoo’s true self – the nine-tailed golden fox spirit had eventually disappeared as her energy was depleted, albeit the consequences of her actions remained. After so many years, to exercise her powers was nice, yet the princess was too tense to properly enjoy this freedom. Carrying the blood of a nature spirit made her special, the very own symbol of good luck that represented that kingdom – however, it also made her a target and it was the reason why she had to hide this part of herself, not only to protect herself but for the country.

Chaewon never asked anything regarding what happened, a knowing gaze in her eyes as if she had known all along – and she did, Minjoo was sure the king had chosen Chaewon for very good reasons. “We need to hide now, our soldiers will keep them busy for a while.” Chaewon had tried to say in her usual commanding tone. “They will be fine since they are not the target, so the mercenaries will disperse soon to look for us.” The general, however, had struggles of her own – struggles that Minjoo couldn’t ignore.

Chae’s face was pale and her expression tortured, one hand covering the wound on her right shoulder and her steps slow – she still gave Minjoo a smile and insisted on keeping walking with her bag over her shoulders, but the younger Kim knew they couldn’t go far with Chaewon in such a condition.

They found a cave on high ground not too far from a clear stream of water, it was hidden by the vast vegetation and only Minjoo’s fox eyes could spot it from afar. It wouldn’t be the most comfortable place to sleep in, yet it was better than staying outside.

There wasn’t a way to make sure no one was still following them, but Minjoo had done everything in her power to camouflage them – having the blood of a nature spirit was pretty useful when they were inside the forest’s heart. Chaewon wasn’t well enough to offer her any help, but her light steps were good to avoid leaving any trace of them behind.

The general was good at keeping her composure, yet not good enough to hide what was happening to her.

Bids of sweat slowly roll down the older Kim’s forehead, her sun-kissed skin growing pale and her brown hair sticking to the skull due to the sweat. She kept a hand holding onto her wounded shoulder, her posture stiff as she made her way inside the cave with her grey gaze inspecting it for any danger – General Kim was still a protector, no matter how hurt she was. But right now, Minjoo should be the one taking care of the older woman. Both women were too tired to even properly talk, instead Chaewon sat down on the floor and rested against the wall, while Minjoo made sure to use her influence to make sure the vegetation would grow high enough to keep the entrance hidden.

Gathering a few sticks and leaves, Minjoo gently blew on it, the hot air of her lungs sparkling gold as it helped to light up the small fire. She smiled to herself, thinking about how she used to perform such small tricks routinely when she was a kid, but it was the first time she had tried something like this in so many years. She couldn’t deny the blood she carried – nor the risks it put her into.

Minjoo wondered if the men back there knew her origins all along. It wouldn’t be the first time it would happen to people like her.

“Your abilities are amazing.” Chaewon’s tired voice interrupted her, the soldier was still resting against the rocky walls, her pale skin turning red as the fire illuminated it. She didn’t look like General Kim right now, but like a fragile friend. “I’m sorry for making you take care of us.” She bowed her head apologetically and Minjoo knew she was being completely honest.

Shaking her head with vehemence, the princess came closer to the soldier. “You are hurt because you’ve protected me, how can you apologize for that?” Giving Chaewon a sad smile, she thought about what they had left behind, the fight and blood everywhere – back then she had acted on impulse, following Chaewon blindly as they tried to survive. Even the thought of what could’ve happened if she was alone and unaware…Without Chaewon, she would be dead now. Shaking her head once again, she tried to focus on replying. “But thank you, it’s been a long time since I could be myself.”

The general’s eyes were solemn, the pain that painted them with an opaque grey hue couldn’t hide the strong warrior underneath it. “I’m your protector, it’s my duty and honor. Always.

“Exactly, and I’m your princess.” She emphasized her words, her golden eyes shining as she made her own honesty clear. She may not be a warrior, but she also had a duty with her people and nation, and with Chaewon she had something more – friendship, loyalty, a special bond like no other. It wasn’t a one-sided relationship, they would make it out together. “It’s only fair I look after you as well.”

Chaewon didn’t reply, only nodding and lowering her gaze as she tried to not let the emotion take over her. Maybe it was the effect of whatever poison they injected inside of her body, or simply the heavy mental weight that all battles leave behind, or simply the fact that Minjoo always had such a strong power over her – for whatever reason, she felt like her heart was as exposed as her face now, and this heart was full of gratefulness and admiration for her princess.

“Can I?” Minjoo asked as she took a seat beside her, light fingers gently touching Chaewon’s shoulders. The general tried to move away, her skin shivering with pain. She was trying her best to avoid any unnecessary demonstrations of discomfort, but as time passed, the painful burning feeling on her shoulder and arm grew stronger and of course the princess could notice it.

Chaewon tried to take off her shoulders the bag with supplies she had prepared and bravely carried so far, but even such a small gesture was enough to make her hesitate due to the pain.

The princess acted before she could, taking away the bag with gentle yet efficient motions. “You don’t have to…Thank you.” It was impossible to not sigh in relief as at least she didn’t have anything pressing her shoulder now.

“I need to check your wound.” Minjoo was once again correct, Chaewon couldn’t look at it herself and she was starting to grow worried – she sustained many battle wounds before, big and small, and lived through it. However, she wasn’t sure her healing abilities could handle this. The place where she was hit by the poisoned star was irradiating pain through her arm and back, as if a hole was growing inside her muscles and devouring her meat – she hoped it wasn’t the case.

Therefore, she only nodded in silence.

Under any other circumstances it would have been embarrassing for Minjoo and dreadful for Chaewon, but in this moment, such futile feelings were placed aside as the princess carefully helped the general out of her robe, the fabric sliding down Chaewon shoulders to expose the bare skin of her back.

“Oh…” Minjoo had to contain an exclamation of horror, her fingers tentatively touching the skin tinted red as inflammation spread further and further. Long, thick dark veins coming out of the small wound, dried blood looking a sickly shade of brown as it formed a thin clot to stop the bleeding. The princess wasn’t very familiar with medicine, but she knew for sure it didn’t look like a normal wound, especially considering how quickly it was evolving – she could barely see the veins that were starting to invade the lower parts of Chaewon’s back, spreading like wildfire. “It looks…”

Minjoo’s heart sunk inside her chest, imagining how great the pain must be and how hard Chaewon had been trying to hide it.

“Poisoned.” Chaewon completed the sentence for her, she could feel her shoulder arching due as if it was burning. That blade had been aimed not only at her, but also at the princess, just like that rock months ago, confirming once more that Lee's plan was never to force a marriage. She wondered how much time they had before someone came after them again. “I heal fast, but they used something strong so I may need some time.” Time they didn’t have – time she wasn’t even sure would be the only thing she needed to escape death this time. Taking a deep breath, she tried to create a plan. “I’m somewhat familiar with this land, later I shall make you a map and bring you to a safe-”

“You are sick, don’t go back to being General Kim now.” Minjoo cut her off, eyes sharp and determined as she stood up. She wasn’t a damsel in distress – at least not only that, she was also strong in her own ways and she wouldn’t let Chaewon forget about it. “Just wait here.”

The young warrior watched as the other woman simply disappeared behind the vegetation that protected the cave’s entrance – Chaewon was overwhelmed by the feelings of worry, protectiveness and the sense of duty. Gritting her teeth, she tried to stand up by pressing a knee against the floor and reaching out for her sword for support – shockingly, she noticed it was no longer there.

Minjoo hadn’t picked a good time to show her rebellious side.

“Damn it!” She quietly cursed, the sweat dripping from her overheated skin. Sick or not, she wouldn’t allow anyone to lay a hand on her princess – but for this she needed to find her first.

“I told you to wait for me.” Minjoo’s angelic voice cut off her thoughts, the princess quick steps coming closer before Chaewon could properly stand on her own – the younger Kim made sure to gently push her back down, what wasn’t hard considering how much Chaewon’s legs were shaking due to poison in her system.

It wasn’t time for strong and stubborn General Kim who led troops at the battle field, it was time for the kind and gentle Kim Chaewon to take some rest – and even she knew that. Sighing, she lifted her gaze to Minjoo. “Please don’t leave like that again.”

With a small smile, the raven-haired brunette sat beside the older woman once more, putting aside the sword she had borrowed – she could’ve taken hers, but she didn’t want Chaewon to follow and she didn’t go far away. “I don’t plan on leaving my general behind.” Still with a smile on her, she softly crushed the green plants she had brought, in between her hands – a mix of herbs she had collected outside, courtesy of the ever so loving nature that never let her down. “But I can’t go on if you die, so stay still and let me take care of you.”

Protesting would be useless, and truth be told, Chaewon was in no condition to decline the offer. Nodding slowly, she allowed Minjoo’s elegant hands to once more push down her robe to reveal the wound, her eyes almost closing as she tried to focus on the gentle fingers so light on her skin instead of the throbbing pain coming from the wound.

The princess was careful, keeping her hands as light as she could as she slowly applied the herbs onto the wound and silently prayed for them to work – she could see the way Chaewon shivered in pain, albeit the other woman didn’t emit a single sound. Ever so slightly, she let the tip of her fingers run through her skin, inspecting the black veins and gently trying to brush them away, whispering sweet words. “You will be fine soon, Chae.” The nickname was too intimate and the normal General Kim would probably refuse to accept it, but all formality had been thrown aside at the moment.

Min could notice the other woman relax, her posture less tense. A relieved sigh left the soldier’s lips as the effects of the anesthetic plants started to take place, placating a little bit of the painful burning.

“You...How?” Chaewon said in a low voice, looking over her shoulder to meet the stars in Minjoo’s eyes. Usually she would avert her eyes, but today she allowed herself to drown in the chocolate pools dotted with gold, finding relent in the princess’ presence.

“I am a fox, remember?” Leaning in to blow softly the wound, the air sparkling in gold as she put all her faith onto it, praying that she could somehow help Chaewon to heal faster. She didn’t have the power of healing, it was beyond her known abilities, but hopefully it would be able to stop the spreading of the poison and make the pain more bearable as Chaewon’s body started to heal. “I can’t cure you, but I can help you feel better.”

A different kind of heat covered Chaewon’s skin, not the furious rage of the fever, but the nice and gentle warmth coming from Minjoo’s care, pushing away the pain and making Chaewon finally able to breathe easy again. She could thank her, but the words seemed meaningless as the younger woman smiled at her and made Chae’s heart equally warm. Returning her smile with one of her own – tired and fragile, but genuine.

Using her left hand, she pulled back the robe to cover herself, going back to her initial position. She didn’t know how strong Minjoo’s magic was, but she needed to use this opportunity to rest as much as she could and heal, or else she wouldn’t ever be able to return the princess’ kindness.

Such kindness wasn’t over though.

Like the nights back when they were travelling to meet the Lee’s, Minjoo once more clung to Chaewon’s arm – the left one, of course, she wouldn’t like to hurt her – bringing her closer so they could stick together. It was so close that Chaewon could feel Minjoo’s natural warmth coming to her in comforting waves, just like the clean scent that was so unique to Minjoo. “Don’t oppose, I can’t make a bigger fire because it might get us killed, but you need to warm up.” The princess said, although her words weren’t really necessary.

If keeping her distance was once something she had to remind herself of, today Chaewon purposely forgot about it. She needed Minjoo just like the princess needed her and she wouldn’t deny it to herself any longer. “I promised I would stick with you no matter what.” Therefore, she only nodded slowly, resting her head on Minjoo’s shoulder as tiredness took over her.

Tomorrow – what was already today, probably, by now – would be a new day and Chaewon could only hope they would be safe there for a while, once she was better she could go back to ignoring her feelings and holding onto her duties, but even if only for a few more hours she would ignore everything but Minjoo’s presence.

They belonged to different worlds, yet, it felt like those worlds seemed to be destined to clash – and maybe it wasn’t a bad thing.