Tales Of A General

Into The Fox Eyes

The days after meeting the almighty General Kim in the forest gave Minjoo a new view of things – Kim Chaewon and who she truly was, and what it meant to be her student instead of only her personal task. Min was feeling a new excitement she rarely ever experienced, one born from the hope of finally having the freedom to do something she always wanted to do.

It wasn’t much, but it was a start.

She would meet Chaewon every evening and the woman would give her simple instructions, showing her how to execute every move and then allowing her to perfect the technique – it was slightly boring, but the princess was determined. Besides, oddly enough, her favorite moments happened after class was over. They would sit to rest, Chaewon keeping a respectful distance as she would go over their training and then gift Minjoo with something she didn’t expect from the moody soldier: genuine compliments.

“You have light feet and you seem to move well, once you have enough practice you will be able to do it perfectly.” Or even “You are progressing so well, it’s impressive.”

Of course, those comments weren’t much, but for some reason it felt nice to have her efforts recognized instead of downplayed – maybe the memories of her dad censoring her past tries at it were still haunting her.

The compliments were not the only thing she liked about those moments though.

She would ask Chaewon about the life outside the palace, her trips and the wonders hidden beyond the city limits and Chaewon would tell her more about it – carefully she would drawn the picture inside Minjoo’s head with the descriptions narrated by such a melodic voice that the younger was learning to enjoy. Those stories told by Chaewon were enough to make her dream of the world out there, enough for her to want to practice harder and maybe, just maybe, she could someday leave the palace and see those things for herself like the general did.

That’s why when she woke up early one day, excited about the idea of seeing her bodyguard – even if they couldn’t practice in the light of the day, she was starting to get comfortable around the other woman – only to see someone else. She felt her face contracting in disappointment.

"Good morning, Princess Kim. I am Lieutenant Jung Dahyun and I'll be your guard for today." It was a younger, much animated voice of someone unfamiliar.

“What happened to the General?” Minjoo asked the lieutenant in confusion, trying to not make her disappointment visible.

"The king granted her permission to have a day off duty, so she assigned me to replace her for the time being.” The other woman informed with an easy smile, she seemed pretty content with her new job for the day – following a princess around must be much more fun than guarding the gates. “I may not be the general, and I may still be lacking in a lot of areas she excels in, but I'll do my best protecting Your Highness."

After hearing the young officer's introduction, Minjoo slowly nodded in agreement and thanked her for her sense of duty. However, she couldn't help but feel the inkling of disappointment in her heart when she knew she wasn't going to see Chaewon for a while.

So, when they were on one of Minjoo’s daily walks around the streets of the kingdom – just a small entourage with her including her security detail – , she wasn't expecting to see a familiar face, much less the person she wanted to see the most. She almost couldn't recognize her when they crossed paths at the market.

Minjoo was in the middle of buying yeot when someone came to her side to buy at the same stall as hers. "I'll have five pieces, please."

As soon as Minjoo heard the familiar voice, her head whipped to the side to see who it was.

It was Chaewon.

But not in her usual intimidating military robes that she carries with an air of confidence. The general was in a hanbok, and almost as if a member of the women in the royal family, Kim Chaewon had grace and elegance around her that came with her delicate clothes. It was almost unbecoming of her, and Minjoo had to do a double-take just to confirm whatever her eyes were seeing. But one thing was constant in her mind.

Chaewon was beautiful.

Feeling the dark chocolate eyes on her, the older Kim moved back slightly, regaining her pose as she accepted the bag from the vendor and paid them. The princess' gaze was surprised, but Chaewon didn’t find her reaction odd – she was used to receiving such reaction, after all she rarely ever was seen out of her working clothes.

For Chae working as a soldier had been her dream since she was a child, learning with her father how to move and hold a sword, to overcome her weakness and put up a strong front. Chaewon didn’t regret her choices, she was proud of the title she upholds now – it didn’t mean she didn’t need a break sometimes. As the general she carried a burden much heavier than the metal pieces of her armor, so heavy that it sometimes suffocated her – hence why she enjoyed her days off the most.

Wearing the beautiful hanbok her grandmother had gifted her over a year ago, she allowed herself to push aside her worries and obligations, and focus only on the small joys of being a common citizen. She had smiled and greeted the people as she walked through the narrow streets, her trained eyes taking in every detail, noticing every small change and all the new faces – maybe her mind wasn’t completely disconnected from work just yet.

She wanted to buy gifts for her family members and maybe something for the most loyal colleagues – definitely not to Hyewon, she still couldn’t forgive her for telling the other soldiers to get her a male gisaeng as a joke...But well, this is what you would expect from her friend. Maybe she still would get her some sweets.

Narrowing her eyes slightly, she had noticed a delicate figure, elegantly dressed in a white hanbok worth more than any material in that market, she was surrounded by her usual and Chaewon nodded slowly in silent approval. For once her men didn’t lose the princess.

Approaching the stall, she graced the older woman who runs the business with a polite smile before placing her order. Chaewon didn’t look, yet she could feel the princess’ stare on her.

Minjoo was quite an easy person to read, everything always so clear on her face, her eyes unable to conceal anything – it wasn’t the greatest quality for the future ruler of the nation, being so transparent could be a weakness, but it wasn’t her place to tell the princess it, only to make sure she would stay safe regardless.

“Your Highness.” Bowing her head slightly, Chaewon turned to face the look she already had predicted – it was almost ironic that someone could look so ethereal and funny at the same time, her princess was like a woman with a heart of a child. “I hope you’re enjoying your day. Make sure to let the guards know if you need anything.”

Minjoo frowned slightly, still a little taken aback by the other woman’s appearance. Chaewon was always there, she would see her from morning ‘till night, how come she had never noticed the general’s good looks before? Or was she just blinded by her annoyance for having someone following her around? Or the fact that Chaewon was a soldier and she never saw them as more than just a nuisance? Nodding slowly in reply to Chaewon’s words, she answered. “I am, General Kim. Seems like you’re too.”

Chaewon’s lips curved in the smallest smile – the one she would show her sometimes after practice, the rare moments she looked relaxed and maybe even happy. “You’re correct, my lady. Now, if you excuse me.” Bowing her head again, Chaewon turned around to go her own way, but a gentle grip on her sleeve didn’t allow her to.

“Where are you going?” Minjoo asked, her curious self unable to control her instincts.

Chaewon turned back to look at the princess, surprise painted on her face as her eyes lit up with a hint of confusion. "Just walk around the market and buy some ingredients for supper.”

Minjoo saw Chaewon’s sharp eyes shift to her hand that still grabbed onto the sleeve of her hanbok. Before the redness occupied her whole face, she immediately retracted her hand and brought it back to her side – grabbing onto other people's clothes was definitely not good manners and they weren’t in the quietness of the forest, but in the middle of the busy streets being watched by everyone.

"Well…" Minjoo started, composing herself. Trying to think about a proper reply, anything to take Chaewon’s gaze from her face. "I didn't know you could cook, General Kim."

"You don’t have to call me general when I’m not on duty, Your Highness.” Chaewon said politely, refusing to allow her work to invade her day off even further – the fact that Minjoo had never called her by the name also bothered her slightly, as if it made the gap between them even larger; of course, such thoughts were ridiculous and she was quick to shake them off, focusing on answering the younger woman’s question. “I am afraid I can’t cook at all. Grandma forbids me to even step inside the kitchen." She said with a shake of her head and a small smile, recalling the angry old woman. "Handling a sword and handling a kitchen knife are two very different things. Although I do enjoy going to the market to buy dinner myself."

“Oh, I see.” Minjoo said, nodding. An amused smile making its way to the princess’ face – it looks like even the most talented general in all of her father’s army still had her flaws. Seeing this flawed, more human side of Chaewon, somehow gave her enough bravery to risk asking, “Would you mind if I accompanied you?”

Chaewon was taken aback by the sudden request. Having the princess with her would mean she would have to be on her feet at all times, even if she wasn’t carrying her sword, it would be like she was working. “I will just buy some veggies and head back home, Your Highness.” She tried, getting ready to reject the request as kindly as she could – most would be afraid of denying anything to a royal, but Minjoo wasn’t like the crazy tyrants people painted the nobles as. Actually, she could see the young princess’ face falling in disappointment – and it was more powerful than any royal demand. “Of course, if you still want to, I will enjoy the company.” She added.

No wonder her friends always told her she had a soft heart for a warrior – Chaewon didn’t agree with them, but maybe Minjoo was an exception. Seeing the princess smile in relief and nod with pure joy, confirmed Chaewon’s suspicions.

“Yes, please.” The princess thanked, her eyes sparkling with excitement. It was just the market, but things always seemed somehow more interesting when she was with Chaewon – that and the fact that she could use it as an excuse to keep her security team a little behind and she could get some freedom. “Also, gen…Lady Chaewon, since I’m talking informally to you, I would like you to do the same.” She asked with confidence, wanting to leave behind the initial image she had from that woman and give place to a new one – maybe life wouldn’t be as boring if she had a friend instead of a bodyguard in Chaewon.

The older woman’s eyes grew wide, the tips of her ears growing red – luckily hidden by the brown hair –, flustered with such request. It was one thing for the princess to call her by the name, the other way around seemed almost absurd – she may be a general, but without her patent she was just an average person. Therefore, she only nodded slowly, instead of replying.

She had to remind herself always, keeping her distance wasn’t something she could forget about.

Minjoo didn’t seem to notice Chaewon’s pensive looks, as she walked a few feet in front of the general, her security guards keeping a proper distance. The princess was distracted, enjoying going from stall to stall, smiling at her people and even getting some free things on the way – she insisted on paying, as usual, she had been raised as a princess of her people and it meant being close and kind to them.

Chaewon still kept her word, stopping by once in a while to buy something and answering Minjoo’s questions patiently. “She is making boiled chicken and some side dishes. I’m just following the list she gave me.” She explained as she mentioned her grandmother.

“She must be a good cook. Do you visit there often? I thought you stayed at the palace.” Minjoo didn’t even try to hide her curiosity, realizing just now how little she knew about the woman that was like her shadow for months now.

The soldier didn’t seem to mind her questions – she didn’t, Chaewon didn’t like keeping secrets, with a few important exceptions. “I visit them once a week. But I always come back to the palace before the night.” She didn’t need to explain the reason why, as the said reason was staring back at her with big brown eyes with dots of gold and her lips forming a smile that showed the upper row of pearl white teeth – once more she looked like a kid.

Minjoo had many more questions, and Chaewon found herself talking about how it was to grow up as a swordsmen apprentice and the quietest member of a very loud family – Minjoo, at some point, came closer to her to listen to it, losing interest in the market and focusing only on Chaewon.

If Minjoo seemed so charmed by her simple stories, Chaewon had to keep her eyes on the streets and try to ignore the princess' proximity – she couldn’t be charmed by the eyes that seemed to mirror the night sky when it belonged to a universe different from hers.

Perhaps she was indeed a soft-hearted warrior.

Maybe it was a good thing Chaewon kept looking around, otherwise she might have missed the flying object that was heading towards Minjoo so fast now – the princess too distracted chatting with a vendor to notice it.

Moving without hesitation now, she pulled the princess closer to her and outside the middle of the road, she spun on top of her heels to make her back face the street and work as a shield for Minjoo. With her left hand involving Minjoo’s back, she reached for the hairpin – her hair falling over her shoulders like a cascade, as she took out the small dagger the hairpin hid.

“Formation, don’t let anyone near the princess!”

Minjoo clung to Chaewon, a silent scream of surprise as she looked over Chaewon’s shoulder, seeing the object passing by flying right where she was just a moment ago. Her heart was beating fast, her body running cold as the realization that someone might have tried to hurt her and she had been too distracted to predict it – except that the general was with her and more than ever, Chae made it clear why she was worthy of such title.

The other guards moved to form a protective circle around them, yet Minjoo barely noticed it as her eyes were fixated on her bodyguard’s face – different from the relaxed and calm woman from before, now Chaewon had a fierce look to her feline eyes, her expression stone cold as she searched for the source of danger. The way her arms were around Minjoo wasn’t romantic, but rather stiff and strong; yet, they were so close that Minjoo could see the tension on her jaw, the fast beats of her heart visible on her neck, reminding her that Chaewon was still very human and still she was willing to risk her life for her.

“Just kids, General. They don’t pose any threat.” Dahyun said after a while, once they could identify two young kids with guilty expressions and some sort of toy-weapon they probably used to pretend to hunt.

The princess could feel Chaewon’s relieved sigh, one moment before the woman let go of her with a blank expression. “My apologies, Your Highness.” She bowed stiffly, taking a place at a respectful distance.

Minjoo didn’t know why, but it didn’t feel right. Maybe the nerves were getting the best of her.

“Are you insane? You could have hurt the princess! Get to your knees and apologize!” One of the older guards ordered the kids, an angry expression on his face as he raised his hand to hit one of them – Chaewon held him back with a single motion.

“We do not beat children.” She reminded him with a cold glare. Tension was still evident on her face as her eyes darted around, an unsettling feeling not allowing her to be at ease just yet. “Kids, apologize to Your Royal Highness.”

The two girls were fast to get on their knees, small hands coming together as they tried begging for forgiveness and a flustered Minjoo tried to placate them.

“I-It’s fine. I am fine.” She said in a rush, moving towards them so she could help them to get back on their feet. They couldn’t be older than ten, innocent children who didn’t deserve such harsh treatment for a mistake. “You guys got me a scare there, you know? No need to apologize, just be more careful next time.” Patting their hair lightly, she smiled at them. “You can go now.”

The kids bowed many times, thanking her before they could run away – the crowd who had been watching all along let out a relieved sigh, thankful for the incident to have ended in such a pacific way. Their kingdom was really one of a kind, just like their princess.

Chaewon shared the same feeling, giving her princess a nod as a silent thank you.

Minjoo would be a good queen someday however, in order for it to happen she needed to stay safe and sound, and Chaewon still couldn’t shake off the feeling that there was something off there.

As she ordered the guards to accompany Minjoo home, forming a circle around her to keep her safe, she followed behind. The dagger still in hand as she took careful steps.

Chaewon didn’t forget to pick up the rock left on the ground, the one meant to hit Minjoo – she closed her jaw tightly as she noticed the white stone was smooth and almost perfect, very different from the common rocks that had landed several feet away.

If the kids didn’t throw the stone that almost hit the princess, who did?

 


 

Minjoo was still a little shaken by the events from earlier as the group made their way back to the palace – Dahyun and the other soldiers were on high alert, making the walk much less pleasant than the previous one. Minjoo wondered if it was really necessary, after all it was just a little incident, right? Still, it made her a little too aware of how vulnerable she could be when she was distracted. It was the first time she ever thought that her dad might be right about getting her a bodyguard.

The said bodyguard, however, was now back to her side. Chaewon had followed them closely at first, before moving to join Minjoo, this time holding onto a sword she got from another soldier – her eyes were still dark, chestnut going grey as seriousness made her face stiff. She would give Minjoo a reassuring smile once in a while, but it was far from the usual one and the princess felt a little disappointed to see how their little stroll had ended like this.

She didn’t want their future meetings to be like that too.

“Chaewon, can you not report about this incident to my father.” She asked, holding in a sigh as she could already guess the negative reaction her overprotective father would have to such an incident. Braving up, she once more held onto the sleeve of the general’s dress, coming closer so they could speak and no one would hear it. “I know he won’t let me go out anymore if he hears about it.”

It wasn’t a great idea, they both knew it.

Chaewon pondered for a moment, whether it’d be advisable to ignore protocol in exchange for the princess’ wish. A small incident wouldn’t be enough to send people to jail in a fair country like theirs and so far, Chae hadn’t found any proof to back up her worries of a real threat – plus, she knew how passionate Minjoo was about looking at the life beyond the castle walls and how much it meant to her. Therefore, she decided to agree, at least for now – the princess’ well being was her priority always. “Just make sure to stay closer to me next time, Your Highness.”

Letting out a relieved sigh, Min smiled at the older girl, squeezing her arm in a quick demonstration of affection. “Thank you, lady Kim!! I will make sure to stay close to you always!” Taking this chance, she held out her little finger for the general, waiting for the soldier to seal their promise. “Pinky swear, general?”

Chaewon couldn’t help but let out a chuckle, the tension leaving her body for a moment as she stared at the princess' elegant hand, the little hopeful smile on her face matching the childish gesture. “I reckon this kind of promise is more suitable to children, Your Highness.”

The said princess only pouted in reply, finger still out as she waited.

It was rare for Chaewon to laugh, but she had to fight the urge – it wasn’t like she wanted to make fun of the princess, Minjoo was just a little too adorable to match the perfect posture you would expect from a royalty member. Giving in, she gently enlaced Minjoo’s finger with hers, the cold of her skin meeting the much warmer and softer one.

Chae’s smile faded as she stepped back, breaking the contact quickly, while the smile on Minjoo’s face grew into a grin.

That day the general didn’t head back home, instead she camped outside the princess room and declined her request for a late-night practice. Later, in the early hours or the morning, the general would investigate things herself.

Chaewon hadn’t promised she wouldn’t talk to the king about other things though – and she did. Maybe training the princess was a task more important than she had thought.

 

 



 

A/N: Hello! Like I said, I have a lot written, so updates should be quick. This is pretty much the last chapter the girls wrote some lines with me, therefore from now on it will be a surprise for them as well lol

As usual, thanks for reading and please let me know your thoughts on the chapter, here or on twitter @uncreative (same cc, in case you are very shy-shy). The next chapter should come quickly since this one was small. See ya!