Tales Of Diplomacy I

Into The Fox Eyes

Yuri squeezed her hand gently, staying beside Minjoo. Wonyoung had patted her back as Yujin and Hitomi just offered her kind, slightly pitiful, smiles before leaving her room. Minjoo wasn’t called to her dad’s office like Chaewon did, but of course she had done her best to sneak in – what was proven useless, as the king ended up inviting her to the meeting as well.

The meeting was far from a pleasant one, and for the last hour Minjoo stayed silent as her friends worriedly watched over her. She didn’t want to make them worried, but it wasn’t easy to get out of her own head after she heard such ominous news.

Even thinking about it left a bitter taste on .

 

Thanks to her good hearing, she was able to make out some of the things that were said by her father and the young general – and none of it was pleasant. Although, just by noticing the dark expressions on Chaewon’s face, it would’ve been enough to tell her something bad was happening, her dad also had deep lines in his forehead denouncing the gravity of the situation.

The general had bowed politely to her, taking a respectful position a few feet away as Minjoo sat beside her dad like she had done in their very first meeting – the feeling right now was really different. Back then she felt confused and a little angry, now she felt rage boiling inside her, just like resentment filled her body. She had to keep her eyes low and take a few deep breaths, trying to keep the hot rage from exploding inside of her.

“I already know. That brat from the Lee family wants me.” She spoke before her dad could say anything, receiving a deep sigh in return. Minjoo could feel Chaewon’s sharp eyes on her, but the bodyguard didn’t utter a word.

“The Lee family wishes to unite our houses, a union that could be important to keep our country safe and guarantee our prosperity. They request for your presence so you could get to know their son and their home better before making a decision.” Her father explained, his deep voice with a hint of the same resentment Minjoo felt. They both knew weddings were necessary to keep alliances and help the country – but their kingdom wasn’t like any other. Ultimately, the choice should belong to the princess. “I made you a promise and I shall keep it. You are entitled to choose your partner in life. However, we can’t decline their invitation without the risk of facing consequences.” He pressed his lips into a tight line, the lines in his face growing deeper. He was worried and angry, like a good father would be and seeing him like this made Minjoo feel even more angrier at the Lee family. “I’m not asking you to marry him, just to act like a diplomat during this trip.”

Pressing her hands close together, she nodded slowly, absorbing the idea. No, she didn’t want to go to a foreign land and be at the mercy of the guy whom she had rejected ever since they were kids. No matter how much she thought about it, the idea of visiting that place seemed like a trap.

Still, how could she say no? There was a lot on the line and as a princess she couldn’t put her wellbeing above her people.

“Where exactly should I meet them?” She asked carefully, trying to think of a way out.

The king nodded, aware of what it meant. “They have a house near the east border. I will mobilize as many soldiers as necessary to make sure you are safe on the way there.”

Minjoo wasn’t worried about the way there, she was worried about what she could find once she arrived. The east territory – the one that only had the ocean as a border and vast forests. Minjoo had always wished to visit it there, but it didn’t seem like an enjoyable trip now. Whatever the Lee’s were planning, it wasn’t good.

Lifting her gaze, she met her dad’s worried look and the general’s chestnut eyes – different from the usual, Chaewon didn’t break visual contact, only giving her an almost imperceptible nod, silently supporting her.

Taking in a deep breath, Minjoo nodded in agreement. “I guess I will be visiting the Lee’s then.”

 

“Minjoo? It’s getting late so I will leave you alone for the night. Do you need help changing?” Yuri asked, taking the princess out of her thoughts. The slightly younger girl had been with her for such a long time that formalities were no longer needed, and Yuri knew her better than anyone.

Giving her a small smile, she shook her head slightly. “Thank you for staying with me, Yul. I will tell you about it tomorrow, I just need some time now.” Squeezing her hand back, she let go of it allowing Jo to stand up to leave. “Can you make me a favor before you go?”

Yuri gave her a small smile. “Helping you is my job, so how could I say no?” Her playful tone made Minjoo feel a little better, reminding her that some things were still the same. “What is it?”

“Can you call Chaewon here? I need to see her for a bit.” Minjoo asked, receiving an eyebrow raise in return, before the other girl nodded in agreement.

“Your general has been waiting outside the door the whole night.” Yuri patted her head lightly before leaving the room.

The princess blinked in surprise – and relief –, glancing at the doors that were kept shut ever since she came back. She knew Chaewon often checked on her, but the general also had other duties to tend to, and today in particular, the older Kim would have a long night. Minjoo had missed hearing her voice early, as if Chaewon could somehow intervene – maybe casually kick that idiot Lee to the corner; but of course, the soldier couldn’t interfere, and the only support she could provide Minjoo was her reliable presence.

Now, Minjoo needed more than that.

As promised, Yuri sent Chaewon in, the general asking for permission before entering the room. Minjoo gave her a short nod, gesturing for Chaewon to sit in front of her before the general insisted on some silly formality that no longer fit them.

Chaewon hesitated for a moment before sitting down, giving her a polite bow. “My princess.”

“My general.” Minjoo returned the gesture with a small smile. She wished they were back at the lake now, living the sweet moment that didn’t last long enough before reality ruined it. Perhaps it would be up to her to make it happen again. “You are coming with me and we’ll stay together at all times. That’s my only condition.” She informed adamantly, she had thought a lot about what she would face on this trip and she was only sure of one thing – as long as Chaewon was there, she would be safe. “I mean, one of my only conditions.”

“I promise. I will keep you safe, my lady.” Of course, the reply came quickly, the chestnut of Chaewon’s eyes growing silver, showing nothing but sincerity in them. Whether it was for honor, duty or even some sense of care, the general wouldn’t break her promise. “What is the first condition?”

Min had to contain a relieved sigh – it was silly, she knew Chaewon would accompany her anywhere, after all it was her job; still, there was a sense of safety from having the older girl’s word. Maybe she became a bit too dependent on her bodyguard without even realizing it. “The second one,” She corrected, before indicating her sword that was placed back on the box and left beside her. “I’m taking my sword and you won’t try to stop me if I decide that I should use it.”

Chaewon nodded. “I agree.”

“No discussion?” It was odd to have the general agreeing with her just like that, she expected Chaewon to protest or have her own conditions, like a nagging parent.

The older Kim’s lips curved slightly, in a smile that was hard to decipher – it was almost proud, as if she had heard just what she expected from her. “I trust your good judgment as my princess and as my student.”

“You trust me?” As someone so used to being treated like a playful child, not only by her dad but also by the many guards that took care of her for all these years, it was a weird feeling to hear that someone trusted her decisions. However, it also put a weight on her shoulders, knowing such trust was born due to the bad circumstances – she wished Chaewon had told her these words before.

Chaewon’s smile was still there as she nodded once more – you can’t expect trust if you don’t return it, and Minjoo surely had proven she deserved her trust today. The general couldn’t possibly know what expected them on this trip, but she would try her best to not break the trust they had built – trust was the one thing that could make all the difference in the most important moments. “I do not have any conditions, my lady. I will trust your decisions, just like I ask you to trust mine.”

The princess returned her smile with a hopeful one.

She was about to go on the first real adventure of her life – one that she didn’t choose, but had no other choice than face with bravery. “It will be a long trip, won’t it?” Resting a hand over her chest, she felt the warmth in it burn quietly, a small spark of courage that was lit up there. She always tried her best to be brave, it wasn’t the time to change. Braving up, she grinned at Chaewon. “At least I will be able to see the ocean. What do you think of sneaking out of the house so we can watch it under the moonlight?”

Her only response was a weak chuckle coming from the other woman, one that was both, surprised and a little worried – she trusted Minjoo as a princess, but Minjoo was still Minjoo after all. “We will see about that.”

 


 

They didn’t have much time to waste and by dawn a group, handpicked by general, was ready to leave the palace, as quietly as possible, under the first rays of sun.

“Can I really?” Minjoo asked with a hint of excitement, her hands coming together as she tried to contain her childish reactions, albeit she could hear Yuri snickering behind her back – she didn’t mind her friend, after all, she should take the little moments of happiness she could find in this dreadful trip.

The general also seemed to find her reaction amusing, but Chaewon’s expression was still calm and impassible, only her eyes glinting as she nodded. “It would be safer to travel as a group of soldiers rather than a royal cortege. Of course, you may find the hammock more comfortable, and if it’s the case, we can change the plans.” As expected from her, Chaewon had organized every step of the way – from choosing their team, to thinking about everything that could go wrong and how to avoid it; or at least try to.

“Of course, I want!” Riding her own horse and being free from all the obnoxious hot clothes she was obligated to wear every day seemed like heaven. Being locked inside the hammock wouldn’t allow her to enjoy the view and she truly wanted to take in everything she could, even if it was not for the best reason, it would still be her first time leaving the royal city behind. “Don’t worry, lady Kim, I can handle a little bit of discomfort. I’m a princess, not a doll.” Minjoo reassured with a wide smile, before gently pushing Chaewon outside the room so she could change into proper clothes for riding.

Shaking her head slightly, the older Kim just smiled to herself as she rested against the wall outside the room and waited for Minjoo. Travelling with the princess wouldn’t be easy, but she still wanted to give her the best experience – although keeping her safe was the priority. “My princess, please don’t forget to pack extra clothes. It will be cold, we shouldn’t risk your health.” She added with a hint of teasing, knowing fully well the answer she would get.

She didn’t need to see, she could hear Minjoo complaining about being treated like a child even from outside – away from anyone’s looks, Chaewon let out a soft chuckle. Yes, her princess was surely precious.

 


 

The king sent them off that morning, giving Chaewon a short nod and Minjoo a tight hug before insisting on giving her an extra cloak just in case. “Please have a safe trip. Send me a messenger if you need anything.”

The princess gave him another hug, before she took her place on top of the yellow-ish horse she had ridden other times through the plains of the castle’s grounds, while Chaewon was beside her in one of the battle horses that looked much less friendly.

Once everything was set and the king was already out of sight, they prepared to leave through the gates of the palace.

Surrounding them, the soldiers were on their own horses, carrying weapons and food, as well as things to make sure they could settle camp later. “So, shall we go? Watch your posture, ma’am, you have to be careful when riding.” Yena, who was leading the group today, said with a playful wink as she pointed to Chaewon – she was wearing Chaewon’s cape with the initials of the general on them, since the woman was supposed to be acting as General Kim for this trip. Minjoo wasn’t sure this all was necessary, but she was surely enjoying watching everyone playing around and teasing her bodyguard, who was now taking on Yuri’s role as a ‘common maid accompanying the princess’.

Hyewon, who was at the back of the cortege snickered. “I don’t know, General Kim. This one looks a bit fragile, she might need that hammock.” The lieutenant teased, pocking Chaewon’s back with a stick – Chaewon gave it a slap and Minjoo laughed alongside the youngsters, Yujin and Hitomi. Most of the guards accompanying her were people she was familiar with and felt comfortable being around, more than her protectors, they would be her friends.

Chaewon only rolled her eyes at her friends’ antics, giving them a tight-lipped smile. “General Kim, Lieutenant Kang, can you start moving already or you guys need help with finding the way?” She gave them a stern look, signalizing that they should focus on work and stop playing around now. “Now march.”

“Alright, alright…Everyone, stay in place no matter what and make sure to have the princess covered. Don’t worry, Your Highness, you will be safe with us. March!” Yena gave Minjoo one of the grins that was so typical of her – she indeed looked like Chaewon, but she didn’t think she had ever seen the general show such expression before; she should try getting her to smile like that sometime, she thought it would look nice on her.

With a smile, she nodded and lightly touched her horse’s flank with her heels, prompting it to move. “Let’s go!”

 


 

The first day of the journey went as Chaewon expected – calm and nice, without any mishaps as they were still relatively close to the princess’ home and under the disguise of a group of soldiers, no special attention was attracted to them. The trip should take about two days and a half at a comfortable pace – the final day of the trip was the one that truly worried her, they could protect Minjoo from cheap robbers and forest animals, but once they reached the house, they would have to play the dirty games only rich people seem to know the rules of.

But for now, she wouldn’t worry about it, but instead keep an eye on Minjoo as the princess enjoyed the sudden freedom she had – and Minjoo surely was enjoying it.

Min enjoyed even the smallest of the things, like the friendly bickering of the soldiers and the nice chit-chatting with her younger friends. She also liked the food they had at a small restaurant run by an old woman and her daughters – Minjoo never had the chance of simply sitting down to eat among the common folks, so it was nice to simply mingle with her people while tasting the nice, even if simple, food. But the thing she liked the most, for sure, was going through the cities and hear the chatting and laughter, watch the small differences in each place that made their unique, from the style of the houses to the street food and even the way people dressed…It was her own country, but it was like a new world to her.

Surprisingly, the general – the real one, Yena was just bubbly and too friendly to even try nagging her – didn’t try to stop her when she would spontaneously go and try to check things for herself, even if it meant the group had to stop for a little while. Chaewon was actually supporting of her little explorations, she would just follow her and tell the others to take a little break – Minjoo wasn’t sure if it was because the general was trying to maintain her role as a maid, or if she was just feeling bad for her and therefore decided to not be as strict; either way, Minjoo wouldn’t complain.

By the end of the day, they had entered the forest that seemed all too familiar to Minjoo even though she could tell the trees were different. The trees were taller there, the strong smell of earth and something else she couldn’t tell yet. It was colder and Minjoo could spot more and more animals – so many birds, rabbits and even deer, all peeking from behind the trees, curious to see who dared to visit their land.

Minjoo felt her body lighter and warm even though the night was approaching, being close to nature was truly a healing thing for her – it made her forget about the pain in her back and behind for riding the horse the whole day.

She figured it wouldn’t be so bad sleeping on the floor if they were in such a place. Smiling to herself, she tilted her head to appreciate the crescent moon and her eyes with golden dots reflected the almighty satellite that dimly illuminated their path so far.

Yujin’s clear voice made her turn back attention to the soldiers. The young woman was pointing towards a small path that led to an old house that seemed abandoned. Ahn led the group, including a confused Minjoo to the place. “It is here. It’s nothing big, but it should be more comfortable for Your Highness than sleeping outside.” She gifted Minjoo with a dimpled smile that showed how proud she felt for being able to help.

“Yujinnie grandparents used to live here when they were young. She remembered it because she has a great memory, like a dog!” Yena complemented with a proud smile to her student – Minjoo wasn’t sure if being called a dog was very flattering for most people, but in Yujin’s case it seemed to fit her just right.

“Oh, I see. I thought we would set camp in the woods, but it should be a lot more comfortable.” Nodding her head with an approval smile, she made sure to reassure the young soldier. “Thank you, Yujin. It is really kind of you.”

Without waiting for help, the princess climbed down the horse and stretched her long limbs, ready to explore the place.

Chaewon watched her princess, following behind closely. “Wait a minute, Hyewon will check the place before we can enter. It seems in good condition, but we never know.” She doubted they would find anyone there, but it was better to be safe than sorry – that was her job. Minjoo didn’t seem to mind waiting, busy taking care of her horse and making sure it wouldn’t just run away during the night – of course, the princess loved animals.

Once Hyewon was back, and they were sure that the place was safe, the group was divided to get some tasks done. The horses were fed and the house thoughtfully inspected for any venomous insects. A group even checked for signals of any unpleasant neighbors. Quickly, a fire was lit and in less than an hour after, everyone was around it, enjoying the food and listening to Yena’s – slightly inaccurate, yet entertaining – stories. Chaewon also divided the group to sleep, in a way they could be at all possible entrances while also keeping an eye at the outside and taking some rest – the usual soldier stuff, taking turns sleeping.

The general used this time to organize her friends and make sure everyone was doing well, before establishing the patrol system for the night. She had no reason to expect any threats yet, so they would spend as long as necessary to make sure everyone had enough rest – people and horses – and eaten well, before moving to the less welcoming land of the East.

The main room at the house, that was far from being a place proper for a princess, was cleaned to the best of their capability before comfortable blankets were used to create beds on the floor – Minjoo insisted on helping out with stuff and Chaewon knew it was useless to argue. Chae was actually a bit surprised to see how well Minjoo could do without having her maid around – Yuri stayed back home since Chaewon would be playing her role to the public –, refusing any help and just kicking her out so she could change her clothes.

Once it was all set up, she knocked on the princess’ door before entering. “My princess, everyone is ready to sleep now. I will be your personal guard, so you can ask me if you need anything else for the night.” Bowing her head politely, she lifted her gaze to find a very sleepy girl, that looked a lot like a baby fox, sitting on top of many blankets, her chocolate brown eyes were freckled with more gold than usual, the whiskers-like dimples showing as she smiled before nodding.

Chae bowed another time, before turning on her heels to leave, but the princess’ surprised voice made her stop before she could reach the door.

“Where are you going?” Minjoo’s eyes were both questioning and a little accusatory, as she stared at the bodyguard, waiting for an answer.

Turning back to properly face the younger Kim, the general explained: “I will stay outside to guard the room, of course.” She may be acting as a maid, but she was still in charge of protecting the princess and it meant she couldn’t slack off, someone would take over later so she could get some sleep, but as the royal guard, she shouldn’t rely too much on others.

A stubborn line was formed on Minjoo’s forehead, eyes sharp as she spoke. “You promised to stay with me, remember?” Her voice was almost nagging now, like a mother – or worse, a wife – displeased with her behavior. Chaewon blinked, she wasn’t used to being on this side of the situation. “Don’t I need protection, Chaewon?”

The brown-haired woman opened to argue, after all she was trying to keep the princess safe – but she just needed to look at Minjoo to know the girl wouldn’t accept anything but her way. Minjoo surely had a weird way of exercising her royal powers. “Yes, my princess.” Containing a sigh, Chaewon only nodded shortly and walked back in, awkwardly standing by Minjoo’s side. She reminded herself that it was an official mission and keeping Minjoo safe was her priority, no time for silly thoughts or unnecessary embarrassment.

The so-called embarrassment came back in full form soon enough.

If Chaewon didn’t know how to act, Minjoo was a lot simpler minded. For the younger brunette, nothing more natural than having the person she trusted the most always around – besides, if Chaewon was now posing as her maid, it only made sense for her to sleep in the same room. Perhaps she was missing Yuri’s company, or a little scared of being alone, or even afraid that the nerves might come back and not allow her to sleep peacefully…Or maybe she just liked being around the general.

Laying down, she covered herself and gave the general an expectant look, gesturing for her to do the same on the improvised bed beside her. Chaewon only faced her with an expression that was almost comical and seeing the always so confident general flustered made Minjoo chuckle softly – it was funny, but heartwarming at the same time. If she couldn’t think about her previous bodyguards as nothing but annoying, she had many words to describe Chaewon – right now ‘cute’ was the most fitting.

Patting the spot by her side, she only stopped once the other woman finally sat down. It didn’t look very comfortable, but she decided to consider it a win – for now. Getting herself comfortable under the covers, she moved a little closer to Chaewon.

“Thanks for staying.” Lightly, her fingers grabbed onto the general’s left forearm, making sure she wouldn’t just leave as soon as Minjoo fell asleep. The princess was gladly surprised when Chaewon didn’t try to move away, the skin underneath her fingers soft and warm at the touch – it brought the same feeling from that time at the lake, but this time Minjoo didn’t let go.

Instead, she closed her eyes, bringing Chaewon’s arm close so she could hug it to sleep, resting against the soft material of her dark-blue clothes and the warmth that her body irradiated.

The older Kim moved slightly, not enough to break contact, just enough to rest her back against the wall and get into a more comfortable position. She breathed in and out slowly, feeling the tips of her ears burning in a dangerous way, her pupils dilating as her eyes insisted on searching for the sleepy figure of her princess – Minjoo looked ethereal in her simple sleeping clothes that weren’t so different from the daily ones, dark hair against the pillow and pale skin glowing even in the dim light of the room, a soft smile on her face…She looked relaxed and satisfied, she looked happy beside her.

For some reason it was enough to make Chaewon’s heart grow a little inside her chest, a warm and unknown feeling spreading through her body and making her head lighter.

“I will always be here.” She said in what was almost a whisper, her right hand instinctively reaching to lightly pat Minjoo’s, fingers barely touching her skin – she was scared and she didn’t know exactly why, but she also found it hard to resist and somehow her hand eventually rested on top of the princess’. If before her chest felt warm, now it was almost too full of a breeze coming from within, a wind that could carry away her heart so easily, yet seemed to only carry away her fears.

“I know, but it still feels nice to have you close.” Minjoo gave her a smile that was almost a grin, her eyes still closed as she nuzzled into her arm as if it was her own home – it felt like it. “Goodnight, my general.”

Chaewon averted her gaze, gulping down as she tried to swallow whatever feeling it was, keeping it at the bay. She only managed to answer after a moment, and the words never sounded any more intimate. “Goodnight, my princess.”

 

 



A/N: I know we are going through a hard time, again, but let's not give up yet and keep fighting. This might be my last fic, but I will do my best to finish it. Stay safe and see you soon.