Tales Of Our Past

Into The Fox Eyes

A/N: As usual, flashbacks in italic.


 

Crossing her arms over her chest, Chaewon’s chestnut eyes narrowed as the sunlight hit them, gaze focused on the center of the small patio where her student was working hard right now – not alone, but accompanied by one of Chaewon’s young pupil’s, the tall girl who was so quick at learning, a perfect match for the impulsive princess.

The general had had a long conversation with the king about the princess’ wishes and it took Chaewon a lot of charisma to show him that his daughter would be completely safe since she would be the one guiding Minjoo all the way – she also told him about how it could be useful in a dire situation.

 

“But Minjoo...Are you sure it will be safe for her?”” The man had said, his dark eyes filled with a protective hint that was characteristic of a father.

Chaewon nodded somnolently. “The princess has a strong character and a good heart, those are the best qualities a swordswoman can have.” She assured honestly, recalling Minjoo’s actions towards the kids and the way she tried so hard every time they practiced together. “Please allow me to have the honor of teaching our Royal Grace.”

The king had sighed, before nodding. “I trust her in your hands, general. Once more.”

Bowing respectfully, Chaewon gave him a stiff smile. “I promise to keep her safe, my king. Always.”

 

She didn’t regret her decision, for the past few days Minjoo was progressing much quicker than anyone she had ever seen before – what didn’t surprise her much, considering the princess was one of a kind and carried more tenacity than most men ever had. The princess was better suited for the job than most. Thanks to her focus on training, and now being able to do so in the light of the day instead of having to sneak in during the nights, the princess spent the whole week in the grounds of the palace – for which Chaewon was glad.

The general hadn’t found anything suspicious, no one that could pose a threat or any clues that could lead her to anything – she even sent out a few men to check the grounds, watching out for anything weird and making sure the locals hadn’t seen any strangers in the city. At this point, she was starting to think she was seeing too much in what was just a minor incident – still she couldn’t shake off the feeling of suspicion.

Thankfully, the princess didn’t seem to share her worries.

Minjoo was ecstatic when her dad informed her that she would be allowed to practice with the sword – as long as Chaewon was the one teaching her and she made sure to be careful – Min almost accidentally killed the king with how tight the hug she gave him was. She thanked the man many times before running out of her room in search of Chaewon – and she almost presented her with the same bear hug, weren’t for the captain of the guard that greeted her with a smile and made her remember she was still a princess.

It’s been days, and honestly, Chaewon wasn’t going easier on her with all the exercises and corrections. It was like having the king’s official permission made the general twice as bossy, her eyes sharp to catch any mistakes, making Minjoo go over and over the same moves so many times – sometimes it was a bit frustrating, but she kept shut because she didn’t want to risk having her dad changing his mind.

It wasn’t like everything was bad though – she could, for the first time, feel proud of herself as her skills were starting to get better and she could actually put them to use. Training during the day meant she could have some of the younger soldiers joining her once in a while and it was nice, not only she could practice with them, but also talk and make new friends – all three of them, because Chaewon was incredibly picky when selecting who she would allow near the princess. So far, she had Yujin, Hitomi and Wonyoung – her partner for the day; Yuri was also there, but just to cheer her up as she claimed to be too lazy to even try holding a sword.

It was feeling like she was part of the guards, training and creating a bond with people close her age – however, she missed the nights at the forest; being in the forest always made her feel better, she loved the green and blue hues of it, the quietness and the way it seemed to surround her with a gentle aura. She also missed practicing with Chaewon alone, the small smiles and comments, moreover, the long conversations after it…She wondered if they would still be able to have moments like those now, or if Chaewon would treat her just like any other soldier.

“Thanks, Wonyo! It was very fun.” She thanked the younger girl she was growing fond of, the brunette woman was intimidating at first with her tall stature and elegant face, but it only took a few minutes of conversation to Minjoo to learn Jang Wonyoung was still a baby at heart – and an adorable one. Just like the other two soldiers, she was talented, but in her own way – not quick and bold like Yujin, or quiet and swift like Hitomi; Wonyo was calm and relied a lot on strategy, a little bit like Chaewon.

“It was my pleasure, Your Highness. Yujin is coming tomorrow as well, so it will be even more fun!” Jang said with her usual smile whenever she talked about her best friend – Minjoo’s attentive nature could tell there was something more there, but they weren’t close enough yet for her to tease the younger girl; So, she just nodded and waved Wonyoung goodbye.

Taking the small towel Yuri had left for her, she put the sword she had been using aside and sat down comfortable at the shadow of the high-ceilings of the palace’s porch. It had been a good practice, but her hand was hurting a little due to the excessive strength applied to grip the sword’s guard for so long – perhaps she should ask her dad to get a sword of her own.

Her ears perked as she heard the footsteps approaching, but she didn’t move, knowing who it was by the familiar faint sound of cat-like steps. However, the package carefully placed on the wooden floor beside her, took her by surprise.

“What is that?” She asked, her curiosity demanding her to check out what was hidden underneath the elegant wooden box. Yet, the person who brought it, kept a hand on top of the box as if she could tell Minjoo’s intentions – and she could, that sly General Kim.

With a smile that was almost too small to be called one, the soldier handed Minjoo the box. “I think you are ready to carry your own sword now. It should make it easier for you to progress.” With this simple statement, she encouraged the younger Kim to open the box to reveal the finely made sword that was created especially for the princess. The silver blade was skillfully crafted, the guard long and firm, covered by black threads of velvet, small white and grey gems at the base of it. The king had given her the meanings to order the perfect sword for the princess and Chaewon was convinced it was the right one. “Careful, it’s very sharp.”

Minjoo let out a surprised exclamation, her eyes growing wide as she stared at the beautiful sword and her hands tentatively picked it up. “It is…it is perfect!” She was dead tired after long hours of practicing, but seeing the sword made her feel the urge of using it right away – Chaewon’s hand stopped her, gently tapping on the sword’s guard as to make Minjoo return it to the box.

Next week. You need a few days off.” The piercing chestnut gaze on Minjoo’s hands demanding her to drop the sword. Of course, nothing ever went past Chaewon’s eyes, what used to be something that annoyed Minjoo a lot but today it didn’t feel that bad. Maybe having someone looking after her wasn’t that bad – if this someone was Chaewon.

The thought was so weird that it made her shake her head slightly, putting down the sword and closing the box again. Feeling an unusual warmth filling up her body, she was quick to throw any weird thoughts to the back of her mind, focusing on poking the smaller package that accompanied the sword. “Dad sent me some clothes as well?” She asked, trying to diverge the topic.

“No.” The brown-haired woman replied, allowing the younger girl to unwrap the fabric covering it and reveal the black clothes, gold threads marking it as the only details – it was a uniform similar to the one Chaewon used for special occasions, comfortable enough to fight, but still elegant. It would be perfect for Minjoo who often struggled dealing with her expensive hanboks. “It is a gift. I think you could use it to practice. It’s not much and I will understand if Your Highness prefers another-”

“I want these ones.” Shaking her head, the princess hugged the clothes to her chest. She was trapped inside stuffy hanboks her whole life, having the chance of wearing clothes that would give her more freedom sounded like a true blessing. “They are great. Thank you, Chaewon.” If they were just like the ones she had seen Chaewon wearing in the very first time they ever met, she was sure they would be just perfect – albeit back then, she had been too annoyed to pay Chaewon, or her clothes, proper attention, now the memory was pretty clear in her mind.

 

Minjoo’s chocolate eyes dotted with hints of gold were dark as she watched the great hall where her father was sitting on a high chair, his red clothes and high hat making it clear his position. Most kings would keep a large group of nobles to assist them, but her father only had a few advisers and ultimately, he was always the one in charge of the important stuff – a ruler should watch out for his people, not just rely on others; that’s what he always told her.

The young girl liked to watch the king in action, albeit he limited the events she was allowed to take part in – what was rather annoying –, Min had her own ways of sneaking in and her dad couldn’t simply kick her out with making a scene; she might not be the queen yet, but she surely knew how to make her diplomatic moves, even if they were just to be able to listen in on the sessions.

Today, however, she didn’t have to sneak in, but instead her dad had ordered her to be present. It made her a little uneasy as she sat at a seat beside the man, finding his little smile a little disturbing – Minjoo had taken after her dad when it came down to mischief and she was sure that the old man had some plan; she just wasn’t sure she would enjoy it. “Dad, can’t you just tell me?”

Her question was never answered though.

“Your Highness, Captain Kim is here.” One of the king’s servants informed, and to Minjoo’s surprise, her father’s smile grew larger as he nodded.

Just what was happening? Minjoo felt a shiver run through her body as her ears picked the sound of heavy boots hitting the floor, firm and with light steps – a soldier for sure. But why would her dad want to have her here to see a soldier? Unless…Gulping down, she felt her eyes starting to burn turning the chocolate into gold, her body warming up. No way she would marry some random guy, she didn’t even reach her 20’s yet.

She was ready to stand up to protest, when the steps finally stopped and she could hear the sound of the old man’s announcement. “Captain Kim Chaewon from the Second Royal Regiment of the North.”

Minjoo expected one of the tall, truculent, men she was used to see guarding the borders. The men that always bragged about fake acts of bravery and smelt a bit too much like soju and sweat – Minjoo’s sensitive nose couldn’t stand them. It wasn’t an issue now though, after all, Captain Kim was the farthest thing from a smelly man.

The young captain dressed in elegant combat clothes embroiled in silver, bowed deeply as she entered the room – long brown hair fixed in a bun designed to be practical rather than stylish; as she stood straight again to cover the small distance left, her bangs covered her eyes partially, albeit the piercing chestnut gaze was impossible to miss, eyes bright and feline denoting the warrior soul inside the delicate silhouette of the woman. Even before she came closer, Minjoo could already see each feature of her face, and every single one of them was gentle and well defined, matching the smooth sun-kissed skin free of any scars with the exception of a small one over her up lips, so small that it was almost invisible, yer MInjoo noticed the mark of a cat’s scratch.

The princess was rather confused and a bit flustered. Glancing at her father, she waited for the man to speak and explain what was happening.

“My King, Your Royal Highness.” The captain bowed again, her gaze never meeting Minjoo’s, as she greeted them, before resting a knee on the floor and assuming a respectful posture in front of the ruler – just like her looks, her voice was melodic and nice, nothing like the one from someone who should be screaming at other soldiers all day. “I reckon Your Majesty requested for my presence.”

The king looked from the captain to his daughter, amusement in his eyes.

“I heard a lot about your services for our country, Captain Kim. We wouldn’t be able to have such a smooth win over the Beojji at the south without your assistance. I was rather impressed to hear about your strategic abilities.” Byung Hoon, Minjoo’s father, said with a proud smile on his face. Of course, their kingdom wasn’t a violent one, but they took pride in protecting their country. “More than one person recommended you for a promotion and I agree that such a talented young woman shouldn’t be stuck as a captain.”

Chaewon’s eyes grew a little wider, but she kept her composure, not moving from the spot as she only nodded. Despite her natural cold façade, she was still young and it was her first time meeting the king, especially after such an important battle – General Eunbi had sent her there straight from the battlefield. “It would be an honor, my King.”

“However, I don’t think you are suited to be a major now. A colonel doesn’t sound appropriate either.” The king pondered, his elegant fingers tapping on his chin as he thought – there was still a smile on his youthful face, one that made Chaewon more nervous than at ease. She tried to think about any other rankings, but everything seemed to escape her mind as she had not only the king judging her, but also the fierce fox-like eyes of the princess on her. “You heard about my dearest daughter, I’m sure. Our future queen.” He gestured the young woman beside him and Chaewon risked glancing at her only to get her breath stuck at the throat.

Eunbi had told her a lot about the princess, moreover, about how important she was for their country and how Chaewon’s future task would involve looking after her. Still, it didn’t prepare her to face this moment – the princess was only a few years younger than her, her face prettier than any painting she had ever seen; big dark eyes with glimpses of gold, pale skin and black hair framing the perfect features. “She is a treasure, Chaewon, and you shall protect her with your life.” Eunbi’s words echoed her mind, as she forced herself to avoid the dark gaze. Surely, a very special treasure.

“Yes, Your Majesty. Long live to the house of Kim and your heritage.” She said robotically, feeling the nervousness boiling inside of her.

The king seemed pleased with her reply, deciding to proceed. “I guess you won’t oppose being in charge of protecting this house and heritage, then, right, Kim Chaewon?” The question was said with a light tone, but his eyes were serious as he waited for Chaewon to agree before continuing. “I offer you to be the one to take care of my daughter’s safety. From now on, you shall be General Kim and protect her at all times, no matter what. Do you promise?”

The princess’ breath hitched as she realized what was her dad’s plan – not a husband, but a very powerful baby-sitter. Rolling her eyes, she crossed her arms in front of her, feeling the warmth inside her body die down as petty anger took over instead.

Meanwhile, the young general couldn’t do anything but bring her fist to cover her heart as she bowed her head – being a bodyguard was never a dream of hers, but it wasn’t like she could ever refuse the king’s orders. “I promise to be the one to watch over and protect, to be there and safeguard the princess’ wellbeing at all times. I shall not fail you, my King.”

And just like that, Minjoo’s days became a new, and not very fun, routine of trying to escape the most insistent royal guard to have ever crossed her path.

 

It was almost ironic that now she spent time with Chaewon voluntarily – but she was starting to like this change.

“You can’t take it back now, lady Kim. I agree with a break for today, but I would like to try those out tomorrow.” Making sure to keep her gifts close, she gave the general a smirk. Maybe she could even convince Chaewon to let them practice in the forest again, after all, the general was still in charge of keeping her safe and accompanying her was better than having her sneaking out.

Minjoo was usually pretty good at noticing anyone coming near, her acute hearing made it hard to miss the footsteps, but this time she must have been too distracted with the memories and her bickering with Chaewon to notice a new presence until she heard a voice coming from the doorway – being near Chaewon always seem to make her extra distracted.

“It seems like you are enjoying this swordsmanship thing a little too much. Maybe I should marry you off before you decide to join the army. Should I ask the leader of the Lee family to visit us again?” Her dad said with the usual mischief to his voice, the curious eyes watching the young duo as Chaewon quickly stood up to greet him properly and Minjoo made a face, annoyed at his words.

Minjoo huffed in annoyance, her dad knew well how she felt about getting married to the presumptions small-eyed dwarf man from the other kingdom – he would come to visit every year since they were children and she still hated him guts. “I would rather stay with my general, thank you very much.” She said without missing a beat, a smug look on her face – she clearly missed the way Chaewon flinched in surprise, and borderline horror, at her words.

Trying to not panic, the general straightened her back, bowing her head to the king in respect before explaining – in an attempt to clear her name before she got ousted from the military and exiled from the kingdom entirely. "I can assure you, Your Majesty, I am in no way involved in any illicit relationships with your daughter.” Even the words sounded ridiculous to her ears, those ears that were growing red after hearing Minjoo’s nonsense statement. The king wasn’t a bad man, but she doubted he would be happy at the idea of having a soldier taking liberties with the princess. “We both know the princess has not yet reached the age of maturity to even be considered for marriage, moreover to marry someone who doesn’t come from a proper background."

Her words were solely to placate the king, albeit they carried a lot of truth – Minjoo still was like a child at times, and for Chaewon, she would never be more than the princess she had to watch over; she knew her place and to not overstep the boundaries.

The princess, however, didn’t seem to agree with her words; actually, Min was feeling slightly insulted. The general just called her a kid, when she was already twenty years old. "Are you saying I'm still a child, Chaewon?" She didn’t even bother with honorifics – what was actually a bit childish in itself.

“I…” Grimacing, Chaewon shook her head slightly as she completed. “Maybe not a child, just a…young lady?” She tried, a stiff smile on her face as she tried to find a middle ground but only got an annoyed huff in response.

Giving her a glare, the princess poked her arm with a finger. “We are almost the same age, so you are as much of a young lady as I am!”

The duo was so immersed in their bickering, that once more, they seemed to forget about their surroundings and the king was left observing the girls arguing – Chaewon trying to emphasize her maturity while Minjoo dismissed it, using her one centimeter of extra height to get back at her.

Byun Hoon observed the exchange with amusement, noticing how the duo had finally grown close now – Minjoo had spent her whole life running away from her guards, it was his first time seeing her actually create a bond with one; and it was with one of his generals out of all. A smirk appeared on his face, as he narrowed his eyes in a similar way to the one his daughter always does.

Yes, maybe his daughter was still young, but she wasn’t a kid anymore. It was indeed a little too soon for arranging a marriage, yet it didn’t change the fact that these two looked quite good together.

He wondered if any of them could realize it and what they would do once it happened.