Ikaw at ako. (Fin)

Ikaw ang paborito kong cliché. Wag ka na pumalag.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 There's something about the way Seulgi asks her "Kumusta?" 

It doesn't come off as a mere perfunctory remark, or a question asked out of sheer politeness or banal courtesy. 

When the older girl asks her that, Yeri would feel Seulgi's sincerity to know how she's really doing.

And so at 15 years old, Yeri would find herself looking forward to every time her older sister, Joohyun, would bring Seulgi and their other friend, Wendy to their home. 

Wendy will greet her with a "Wassup Yeri!" but Seulgi will smile at her and ask "Kumusta?" 

They will then go to the kitchen and whip up some good, old, reliable Lucky Me pancit canton and talk about what's new in their lives for a good hour or so, or at least until Joohyun whisks Seulgi away from her because they have to start working on a school project or just 'cause. 

Seulgi knew what Yeri's wants and dreams are more than her ate Joohyun - or any person for that matter - does. 

She knows how much she's into gaming, writing her own songs, singing, drawing, dancing. Seulgi also knows how much she feels so insecure about showing these to the rest of the world, afraid to be compared to a sister who's perfect and loved by all. 

"Default naman talaga ng tao ang magkumpara," Seulgi told her. "Pinanganak tayong nasa DNA ang pagiging judgmental, hindi ko rin alam kung bakit. Pero don't let that stop you from doing what you want, what you love." 

Yeri will then take an extra step towards doing just exactly that, knowing that Seulgi's cheering her on, figuratively holding her hand. 

So when Seulgi asked her again one chilly Friday night, "Kumusta?" she shyly answered, "Nag-sign-up ako for a songwriter's night." 

Seulgi almost crushed her small frame with a bear-like hug. "Sobrang proud ko 'sa yo Yeri!" 

The event will be held in Makati though and they live in Cavite - not in Imus or Bacoor, which is a bus away from Manila, but in faraway Naic. 

At 18, Joohyun, Wendy and Seulgi haven't really gone much to Manila yet because not only do they live in Cavite, but because come college, they also all enrolled at UPLB.

Manila, with all its chaos and charm, remained to be an unexplored terrain. 

Joohyun was not so sure about letting Yeri go to the songwriter's night. She's concerned about her safety and in her eyes, she will always remain her baby sister.

"Next time na lang kaya, Yeri, 'pag meron na ganun na similar sa atin, sa Cavite o kahit sa Elbi. Hatid-sundo ka talaga namin." 

"Puwede ko sigurong hingan ng pabor si Joy, yung iniirog ko, pero walang kasiguraduhan nga lang kung kakayanin niya mag-drive ng ganun kalayo," Wendy said. 

"I mean, hot siya 'pag nagda-drive siya, pero Elbi-Pagsanjan pa lang yung pinakamalayong napuntahan kasi niya with her tsikot." 

Yeri knew their comments were coming from a good place, but not being able to go is killing her. 

And Seulgi - Seulgi knows that. 

"A, may pupuntahan rin naman akong filmfest sa Manila, samahan ko na lang si Yeri," she offered. 

"Paano, anong sasakyan ninyo? Paano 'pag nagkaligaw-ligaw kayo e pareho pa naman kayong bano," Joohyun chastised. 

"I'll find a way," Seulgi promised. 

And so she did. She was able to find a carpool group for commuters from Elbi to Makati a week before the event. Not only that, Seulgi was also able to ask an alumna and an orgmate from Elbi if they can stay at her condo after Yeri's gig. 

Yeri was overjoyed. "Ate Seulgi! Sobrang salamat!" 

"Sus, maliit na bagay," Seulgi will say.

Yeri slept over at her sister's apartment at Elbi the night before, and from there, she and Seulgi will be set to take the carpool. 

The next day, while stuck in traffic, Seulgi asked Yeri - "what's the song about?" 

"Ah, naku, medyo trite nga Ate Seulgi e. About pag-ibig and all its eme." 

"Hala, in love ka ba? Na-inlababo ka na? Alam ba ni Ate Joohyun mo 'yan?" Seulgi asked, curious and surprised. 

"Luh, hindi pa. Nakalandi na oo, pero love - parang hindi pa. I mean, how would you know? Ikaw ba?" 

Seulgi's eyebrows furrowed. "Parang hindi pa rin." 

"Ate Seulgi. Straight ka ba?" 

Seulgi laughed. "Haha. Kailan ka pa tinubuan ng gaydar?" 

"Hangga't maari, ayokong lagyan ng label kung ano ako e. Basta you fall in love with the person, regardless of what their ual orientation is, yun ang paniwala ko." 

Yeri hummed. "E ano kayo ni Ate Joohyun?" 

At a young age, Yeri can be quite perceptive. Her sister's longing looks towards Seulgi do not escape her, nor do Seulgi's sweet and caring gestures towards her older sister. 

"Magkaibigan. Sinubukang alamin kung nagka-ibigan. Pero na-realize na hindi naman," Seulgi answered truthfully. 

"Gusto mo nomi tayo mamaya about diyan?" Yeri inquired. 

"Haha, hindi ka pa puwede mag-nomi! And wala namang dapat pag-inuman. Si ate Joohyun mo kasi - she's the type of girl everyone will go for, 'di ba? Pretty, maaruga in her own way, kahit grabe toyo minsan. So yeah, at one point, I got attracted to her. Pati nga yata si Wendy, before she met Joy and fell madly in love. You'd shake your head at the crazy fans of these pairings at campus - may Seulrene v. Wenrene camps dun, pramis," Seulgi laughed. 

"What happened, why didn't you explore it further?" 

"We talked about it - your ate, Wendy and I. Where do we see the three of us in long run ba, what role do we want to play in each other's lives? Ang bilis ng sagot namin ni Wendy: basta kami, dama namin, we're each other's soulmates.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter