Special Chapter (They Meet Again)

Highlight [SsamYen]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yena was sitting on the table in her father’s office, busy arranging files concerning the book of accounts of their business.

 

Ladies during that time were only given basic education due to the patriarchal roots of the society, but being the sole heir to the dukedom of Cambridge, her father allowed her to study in the university, specifically taking up a business course, so that she’ll be able to succeed on managing and operating their family business.

 

She was seriously focusing on her assigned job for the first 30 minutes. It was pretty easy for her to comprehend jargons such as bookkeeping, journal entries and all those s regarding accounting so performing this task is just a piece of cake to her. Afterall, she’s been topping her class in school, even surpassing boys her age who claims to be better than her [yeah, boys and their never-ending ego], only to be crushed and pulverized during written and practical exams. Well, that’s Yena for you.

 

So going back, her whole focus was on the job that she was supposed to accomplished when her eyes had caught sight of a newspaper featuring a certain someone in it—someone she wishes to meet again.

 

Duchess Kim Chaewon.

 

Her mind now wandered to that night of their first meeting.

 

……….

 

“I like brave people. On the night of your engagement party, your courage caught my attention,” inching closer, Chaewon held Yena’s chin, while she continued, “And not to mention, you’re cute too.”

 

Yena blushed profusely.

 

She just stared into the Duchess’ eyes, getting lost in it, a single word not escaping her lips.

 

Chaewon grinned, amused by the reaction she had managed to elicit from the older.

 

They were just like that for a few minutes, and Chaewon was planning to flick the forehead of the older (and maybe kiss it afterwards) to wake her up from her trance, when suddenly, a figure had approach their direction.

 

“Yena! There you are!”

 

It was Princess Yuri. Clad in her white, elegant dress, the Princess bowed down as a sign of courtesy. Chaewon bowed down too, for this lady is someone of a much higher ranking than her, so she couldn’t really show how annoyed she was by the younger’s sudden appearance, interrupting the moment that she’s having with Yena.

 

“Good evening, Duchess Chaewon. I’ll be excusing myself and this lady. Please, continue enjoying this fine evening.” Princess Yuri smiled as she pulled Yena with her, the latter’s still confused as she still cannot absorb what had happened.

 

The host of the social gathering was none other than the Queen herself, so of course Yuri would be there.

 

After bringing her into a quiet room, Yena, who’s now wide awake from her bubble, had asked,

 

“Yuri! It’s been so long! Why had you taken me here?” Yena hugged Yuri.

 

However, the younger doesn’t look that fine. She looks nervous; discomfort was painted all over her face.

 

“Actually Yena-unnie, I wanna confess…” With her index fingers together and her gaze fixated on the floor, Yuri softly said.

 

“YOU WHAT?”

 

………

 

“Yena-ya! Yena-ya! I told you to call your cousin Hyewon! You’ve been idling there for God knows how long!” Her father had managed to snap her back to reality.

 

“What for, father? Why would you need Hyewon?” Yena curiously asked, but she was now preparing to leave to fetch Hyewon in their household.

 

“I’ll be needing someone to finalize the negotiations for our business. Aren’t you listening? I said we’ll be having a joint venture with the Rutland, right? About the production of instant coffee?”

 

Yena’s family, the Chois, were known to have the control over the supply of sugarcane in their land. Which is why, in order to expand their business, her father had thought of partnering with Duchess Chaewon since basically, no one in their land had thought of producing instant coffee yet.

 

“R-Rutland, you say?” Yena asked excitedly.

 

“Uhm? Yeah?” Her father replied, confused by her sudden enthusiasm.

 

“Then I’ll be going there myself! No need to call Hyewon!” She raised her hand like a very thrilled kid. Very Yena.

 

“Are you sure about that? I thought you hate interacting with the nobility?” Her father raised his right eyebrow, suspicious of the unusualness of her actions.

 

“Uhm… I guess it’s time to immerse myself in our business? To you know, be present in the fieldwork and negotiations or something?” Yena replied, scratching her nape, getting nervous from her father’s judgmental stares.

 

“Is it really because of that? No hidden motives?” Her father scrutinized her even more using his eagle eyes before continuing, “Not because you find the Duchess of Rutland pretty?”

 

“N-no! Of course, it’s not about that!” Yena replied defensively.

 

“You can’t lie to me, child. But alright, whatever floats your boat. Just make sure not to embarrass our name.” With a final look on her, her father had gone back into inspecting the contract that Yena would bring in Rutland.

 

“Father!” She whined, both embarrassed and annoyed. She had just received a chuckle from the Duke.

 

…………..

 

Upon alighting the horse carriage that she rode towards the Duchess’ manor, Yena saw how huge the place was, even a bit bigger than theirs.

 

‘Woah. She managed to accomplish all these things at a very young age, she’s even younger than me for that matter. She’s indeed an admirable person.’

 

She was welcomed by a familiar face, it was the Duchess’ best friend slash her right hand, Ahn Yujin. The tall lady wasn’t really expecting her presence, so she was wearing a stunned, yet amused face.

 

“Lady Yena of Cambridge, right? We thought your household would be sending Lady Hyewon? But please follow me this way.

 

I’m sure the Duchess will definitely like this.” 

 

“I beg your pardon? I didn’t quite hear your last sentence.” Yena asked.

 

Yujin smiled in reply. “It was nothing.” Yujin walked in front of her to guide her into the office of the Duchess.

 

Yena observed the place. She had imagined how hard it must be for the Duchess to have such a huge burden on her shoulders for a very young age. I mean, she had seen how her father had struggled in running their dukedom even with his age and his experience, what more for a young lady like Duchess Chaewon, right?

 

They stopped in front of a huge wooden door. Yujin then knocked three times, signaling their arrival.

 

“Duchess, we’re already here~” The brightness in Yujin’s voice kinda baffled both Yena and Chaewon who was interrupted talking to a lady inside.

 

“You may come in, Yujin.”

 

When Yujin had opened the door, what welcomed the both of them is a spacious room with a lot of books, almost similar to the office of Yena’s father, except that it has some touch of femininity which was evident by the use of velvety cloth in the couch, as well as a bunch of fresh flower in the Duchess table and on the table where guests are being received.

 

Yena could hear how the Duchess had laughed with the lady she is talking to. It was a woman with a black hair, standing next to the Duchess who was sitting on her chair in the middle of the room.

 

Her laughter, cliché may it sound, was music to Yena’s ears. She didn’t know that such a coldly elegant face would be able to produce such an adorable laugh, even more adorable than Yuri’s!

 

However, she didn’t know why, but her heart ache for a bit, seeing how the other lady had managed to bring out such an adorable side of the Duchess.

 

‘Are they…’

 

Yujin faked a cough to gain the attention of the Duchess. Upon gazing on Yena, Chaewon’s eyes widened for just a split second, clearly unaware that it would be Yena whom the Duke would send, but then she maintained her stoic face afterwards. She turned her gaze on Yujin who she believes is wearing a teasing grin directed towards her.

 

Yena’s eyes laid on Chaewon and the lady beside her, observing every bit of their action, wearing a frown (Yena isn’t aware she’s already frowning, by the way).

 

Chaewon was quick to catch up on things, though. She grabbed the lady’s hand as she pulled her close, whispering something in her ears. The lady just chuckled and excused herself.

 

Still trying hard not to be irritated by what she saw (Yena be like, “Really??? Right in front of my salad???”) she then bowed as she greeted the Duchess.

 

“Good morning, your grace, Duchess Chaewon. I was sent here by my father—”

 

“I thought they would send Lady Hyewon, though?”

 

The Duchess’ sudden interruption caught Yena off guard, she couldn’t give her reply immediately.

 

Yujin could feel the tension in the air. She eyed Chaewon who was now wearing a cold as ice face, one that shows how merciless she is as a businesswoman.

 

Yujin then mouthed, ‘Ya! Kim Chaewon! Are you still affected with what happened last time?’

 

Chaewon saw this and she just looked away, showing a bit of hurt in her eyes. She then said,

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter