Chapter 1

Let Me(Him) See The Colors

"-cheol. Seungcheol wake up. "
Seungcheol groaned, turning around to escape from the gentle touch disrupting his sleep. 

"We're going to be late. " the voice warned, shaking him a little harder and he groaned again before grudgingly opening his eyes, waking up to see a colorless ray beaming through the window. 

"I'll wait downstairs. Hurry up. " 

Seungcheol didn't bother turning around to face the source of the voice as he sighed, nodding as he stretched and looking up only when he heard the door close. 

He stared for a moment before getting off the bed and dragging himself towards the bathroom. He woke up to a world of greys again today, just like how he had for most of his life as a mono until a few years ago when he finally met his probe, or his soulmate, as some prefer to say. 

In this world, in addition to the usual way of using things like gender and uality to segregate people, people were also differentiated by whether they're a mono or a probe. Being a mono means they're unable to see colors; viewing the world in shades of grey unless they're lucky enough to meet their probe who would enable them to see colors. A probe on the other hand, were born to a colorful world, blessed to view the world in its full glory. 

Seungcheol chuckled bitterly as he's reminded of that. Life is unfair after all. Yet people thought he's lucky to be able to not only meet his probe, but also stay with him. Unfortunately, Seungcheol doesn't feel lucky. Not at all. 


All dressed and ready to go, Seungcheol headed to the kitchen for breakfast and as expected, as soon as he laid eyes on the boy sitting at the kitchen island; the owner of the voice that woke him up earlier, colors started to flood into his vision and the first thing he registered was the bright color of the sweater the boy was wearing.

"It's red. Your sweater. " Seungcheol commented absently as he pulled a chair and sat down,  grabbing a toast for himself. 

The boy finally looked up at him. "Is it? " he asked and Seungcheol then registered the light blue color of his hair;the color of the sky, as he used to describe it to him. 

Seungcheol hummed and they talked no more after that, eating in silence. 

Why did Seungcheol felt the need to  tell a probe, his probe, of the color he's seeing, people may wonder. Well it's because his probe is a mono too. His probe can't see colors, but he can enable Seungcheol to see them. And as much as he wished for it, Seungcheol isn't his probe's probe. Seungcheol isn't the soulmate of his soulmate. 

The world is unfair after all.