Secret Valentine

Secret Valentine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

February 14 is coming up - that time of the year again when students of Sowon Middle School are encouraged to participate in the Secret Valentine event.

 

One week before the event, Ms. Park reminded class 3-2 of the rules. She opened the projector and flashed the event poster for the class to see.

 

Secret Valentine Event

The rules are simple! Prepare a gift for your Valentine and leave it in their locker anonymously. Gifts should be placed before February 14.

At the end of the day, every participant is encouraged to reveal themselves as their Secret Valentine!

Anyone can participate!

SMS Student Committee

 

"Just like before, you’ll be preparing a gift for your valentine - a classmate or schoolmate of your choice.” Ms. Park explains.

 

"I hope everyone participates as this is your last year in middle school."
 

As soon as Ms. Park exits the room, chatter erupted left and right about who they think will receive the most gifts, drawing in some giddy remarks.

 

“I’m pretty sure Jimin’s gonna get a gift from Mark,” Haechan says as he faces the row back. He then looked to his right and pokes his seatmate.

 

“Shh, be quiet! She can hear you!” Mark tells off Haechan earning a shush from the girl behind them.

 

Minjeong gestured a hand on to signal both of them to quiet down. She glanced at the left side of the room where Jimin is sitting to see if she heard them. 

 

The girl was busy chatting with her seatmate Aeri, who seemed to be peeking back at them and giggling. Knowing Jimin’s sensitive ears, Minjeong’s pretty sure they were heard. 

 

“How about you Minjeong? Who will be your valentine?” Haechan asks.

 

“I don’t have any.” 

 

“Come on, I’m pretty sure you have at least someone you like in our class, don’t you?”

 

Minjeong’s glare was enough to stop Haechan from teasing further

 

///

 

Valentine’s day had finally arrived. Excitement filled the hallways as the students rushed to their lockers.

 

Each student of class 3-2 got a bag of chocolates with a note that read: 

 

Happy Valentine’s Day! 

From Ms. Park

 

Most of them received at least one gift each, though a few didn't get any.

 

As expected, Jimin received several gifts: two stems of roses who looked to be from different classmates, a variety of chocolates, a few notes and letters, and two gift boxes wrapped in different colors. 

 

The first one was a medium-sized box wrapped in red with white hearts all over. The other one was a smaller box covered in a rather plain-looking navy blue wrapper. 

 

Jimin opened the first gift and was delighted to see a purple Care Bear stuffed toy inside. It is a known fact that Jimin likes Care Bears, from the few times she wore a hoodie sporting the characters. 
 

She held up the toy and placed it on her lap. She then held the smaller box and noticed that the content seemed to be loose and rolling. 

 

Unwrapping the box revealed a small cylindrical object inside - a pink lipstick. She was quite puzzled at the sight of it thinking of how her mom tells her she's too young for makeup. Still, she decided to try it on with enough knowledge of how to use it.

 

"How is it?" Jimin turns to her seatmate and shows her colored lips. A light pink shade, adding just the right pop of color on her face.

 

"Good! The color suits you!" Aeri thumbed up in approval.

 

"Really? I'm not used to wearing makeup.."

 

"Maybe it's time you get used to it. Wanna come over later? Let's try my mom's makeup!"

 

"Hmm, maybe tomorrow. I have to go somewhere later."

 

On the other side of the room, Minjeong turned her head and shifted her focus in front of her.

 

Above her table are the gifts she got this year - a stem of baby's breath wrapped in brown paper, a letter, and a thin gift box tied with a ribbon.

 

She was surprised to see she got a few herself. She did receive some gifts in the previous years, sometimes a letter or two, and a few chocolates.

 

Starting with the letter, she pulled out the yellow paper inside, revealing a rather simple note.

 

To Kim Minjeong,

Happy Valentine's Day.

 

That's it? She wasn't expecting much but that was a bit too simple. Must be from one of her juniors. She is known to be friendly after all. 

 

Next was the thin box. With a bit more anticipation,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter