Mother of the year

MOTHER OF THE YEAR

Heechul is depressed. He is lying in his and Leeteuk’s bed, stares on the creamy yellow ceiling and listens to his sons getting ready to leave. He misses the times when his sons came and cuddled with him in the morning. Now they don’t even need him to cook breakfast.

 

Heechul and Leeteuk adopted three sons. First one was Siwon, he was 12 when they adopted him and now he is 22. Second one was Kyuhyun, he was 10 when they adopted him and now he is 18. And the last one was Ryeowook, he was 8 when they adopted him and now he is 16. Heechul and Leeteuk love them, they dedicated their lives to their sons and now Heechul feels empty and sad.

 

They adopted older kids because everyone adopts babies and older children stay in orphanages. They didn’t mind it, but now Heechul regrets it because his sons grew up too fast. They have never really needed him - they were independent when the men adopted them. Heechul is battling with his feelings for a few days, but then he has had enough of everything.

 

“I want a baby.”

 

He blurts out when they are lying in their bed. Leeteuk is half asleep, but this news woke him up.

 

“You want what?! We have tree kids!”

 

Heechul huffed and turned around so his back faces Leeteuk.

 

“I don’t need your permission.”

 

Leeteuk tries to find something to say but he is speechless.

 

He hoped that Heechul will forget about it, but the next morning he announced his plans to their sons. They are also against adopting a baby, but their arguments only angered Heechul.

 

“I am not your slave! Do you realize why you want me? So I could cook, clean and drive you wherever you need!”

 

Heechul angrily got up and pointed at his husband.

 

“You! Come with me or ...”

 

Heechul doesn’t need to finish his threat, Leeteuk knows he lost and follows him. They drive to the same orphanage from where they got their sons and walk inside. The building is full of kids, but this time they head to the section with babies. There are many cribs with cute babies, but Heechul is waiting for the special feeling which will tell him which baby is the right one. They can hear very loud and  persistent crying, but cant see the source. After a moment a tired caregiver enters the room and looks at her colleague.

 

“Take him for a moment. Please.”

 

She hands the crying baby to another caregiver who starts to walk and sway the baby in her arms. However nothing works. The baby just cries and cries as if everything hurts.

 

“What is wrong with him?”

 

Heechul comes closer and sees only black hair peeking out from a baby blue blanket which is wrapped around the baby.

 

“His mom is homeless, cops found him on the street with her sleeping next to him. He caught a cold but other than that he is completely fine. We have no idea why he cries so much.”

 

She fixes the blanket and sighs.

 

“Yesung, what are we going to do with you? You don’t eat, don’t sleep. What is wrong?”

 

Heechul watches the bundle and really wants to hold the baby.

 

“Can I hold him?”

 

She shrugs and gently moves him in Heechul’s waiting arms. The man fell in love in the moment his eyes landed on the baby.

 

“This is him. This is my son.”

 

Leeteuk sighs and comes closer to meet his new son. The baby is red in his face from crying so hard for such a long time, but he is still pretty.

 

“Look at him, Leeteuk.”

 

Heechul is melting, the baby is so cute.

 

“How old is he?”

 

The caregiver said that Yesung is 10 months old and Heechul smiles at the little boy.

 

“Do you want to come home with me?”

 

The next things happen fast. The adoption process, buying crib, clothes and other supplies for the baby. And suddenly the day they can take Yesung home is here. Heechul dressed him in a pink baby-grow with butterflies, put a hat on his head and keeps smiling because he has a baby! Their way home is silent, Yesung fell asleep in his car seat while on a pacifier and the baby doesn’t know that three big brothers are waiting for him at home.

 

The boys are grumpy, they don’t want a baby in the house but Leeteuk said there is nothing they can do to change Heechul’s decision. Leeteuk knows that they weren’t fair to Heechul who does everything for them. Heechul takes care of them, their house and his sons don’t even want to go out with him. They have their friends and don’t care that their mom wants to go to a cinema with them. And Leeteuk is exhausted after coming home from work, he has no energy to go out with his husband.

 

Heechul and Leeteuk arrived and Heechul picks the baby up. Yesung looks like a small angel when he is asleep and Heechul was glad to hear that he doesn’t cry so much as before. The couple walked in the house and the three boys held their breath while their parents enter the living room.

 

“This is Yesung, your new brother.”

 

Heechul is smiling and cooing at the baby who is waking up now and Leeteuk sends his sons a look which means they need to be nice and meet the baby. Siwon wants to leave, his friends are waiting for him so he got up as the first one and comes closer to his mom. He looks at the baby who is on a pacifier and watches him with huge brown eyes. Siwon internally scoffed and sighs.

 

“Hi, can I go now?”

 

Siwon walks out of the living room before Leeteuk can slap the back of his head and quickly motioned Ryeowook to come closer. Ryeowook isn’t very sure, he slowly looks at the baby and finds out that he is quite cute. However he can’t admit it because his brothers hate the new addition in the house. Kyuhyun is unamused while watching the baby who is trying to fit his small fist in his mouth but Heechul doesn’t care. His grumpy sons can think whatever they want because he loves Yesung. He loves the tiny feet, the little chubby hands. He can’t stop holding Yesung and smiles at the boy.

 

“Do you want to see your room?”

 

The truth is that there is a nursery waiting for Yesung, but Heechul fought against it and moved the crib in the main bedroom. Yesung is going to sleep in the bedroom with his parents for the next few weeks - or months. Heechul was sad after hearing that Yesung was homeless so now he bought clothes and toys, everything just for him. Yesung has so many clothes that he won’t be able to wear them all before growing out of them. Heechul grabs a stuffed grey rabbit and hands the toy to his son who grips it and Heechul carried him in the main bedroom.

 

It is a big room with huge windows and spacy bed. Next to the bed, on Heechul’s side, is standing a white crib with pastel yellow bedding. Heechul slowly put the baby down and Yesung on his pacifier while looking around his new crib before he looks up and smiles at his mommy. Heechul knows that babies need lots of rest and it is hard to leave his son alone. At least he can go and cook dinner, but he isn’t sure if his grumpy sons will come. In the end Kyuhyun and Ryeowook came, but Siwon stayed with one of his friends.

 

The dinner is silent. Kyuhyun and Ryeowook don’t want to speak so their dad’s attempts to start a conversation are futile. On the other hand Heechul is busy feeding his little baby. Yesung doesn’t complain when he eats corn porridge his mommy cooked just for him. After dinner Heechul runs him a bath and baths the sleepy boy who is cutely yawning and showing his pink gums and tiny tongue. Leeteuk wants to watch the TV with his older sons, but they lie and say they are tired and disappear in their rooms. Leeteuk sighs and goes in the bedroom where is Heechul tucking the baby in the crib and then goes to take a shower. Leeteuk collapsed on the bed and listens to the soft gurgles coming from the baby. Suddenly something light hit the floor and Yesung starts to whine. His mommy can’t hear him because of the running water and Leeteuk slowly sat up. A yellow pacifier is lying on the floor and Yesung is close to crying.

 

“Okay. Hold on.”

 

Leeteuk goes to wash the pacifier and then pushes the teat between Yesung’s small lips. The baby is instantly happy and smiles while on the pacifier. Leeteuk lay down again and smiles a bit. He wont lie, it is a nice feeling when your child needs you. Three of his sons are too old to ask for the help of their embarrassing dad and only little Yesung really needs them. Leeteuk is watching the baby falling asleep and keeps sighing while imagining their life with a baby.

 

The parents are surprised that Yesung is sleeping so well, he slept for 8 hours without a break. In the morning Heechul picks him up and goes downstairs to cook breakfast for his family. It is Saturday so Siwon, Kyuhyun and Ryeowook are still asleep, only Yesung is babbling something while sitting in his highchair. Leeteuk also enters the kitchen and smiles at Yesung. It is nice to see the smiling baby, his older sons are usually grumpy every morning. In a while they are eating and then Siwon stumbles in the kitchen with half closed eyes.

 

“I am hungry.”

 

Leeteuk put two cubes of sugar in his black coffee and turns to his son.

 

“Hi Hungry, I am dad.”

 

Yesung giggles in his highchair while Siwon groans.

 

“Look at him! He thinks I am funny.”

 

Siwon rolled his eyes and sat down before scoffing.

 

“Yes, because he has same brain capacity as a worm.”

 

Yesung is staring at his big brother and then makes grabby hands toward his mommy. Heechul immediately picks him up and kisses his cheeks. The house is full of toys just for him and Yesung starts to explore his playpen. His big brothers go out, but Yesung needs just one person - his mommy. Heechul feels so happy, his life is suddenly so cheerful. Leeteuk also likes the small baby, but he still isn’t sure if they can handle a fourth child. Siwon comes back after lunch and he isn’t alone, he brought his girlfriend Chungha. The house is empty, his mom and dad are out in a park with the baby and Ryeowook with Kyuhyun are God knows where. They go in his bedroom and start kissing on his bed, but after a while they can hear the front door being opened. Siwon recognized his mom’s voice and hurries to close the door. Before he can fully close the door Chungha heard a baby whining and she asked Siwon what was it.

 

“Eww they adopted a dumb baby.”

 

He wants to go back to kissing, but Chungha jumps up and runs downstairs to immediately see the baby. Yesung is waking up from his nap and whines while rubbing his eyes.

 

“Ohhh so cute!”

 

Heechul smiles at her and let the girl to pick up his baby boy. Yesung cries a bit before she starts to rock him in her arms. Siwon angrily mumbles something because of the dumb baby who stole his parents and now even his girlfriend! Chungha is playing with the baby for a long time before having to leave. The family dinner is calm, only Siwon is frowning. After dinner Leeteuk tucks the baby in his crib and soon everyone is fast asleep. Ryeowook woke up a few hours later because he hears the baby crying. He sighs and looks around his dark room. Now when he is awake he feels how thirsty he is. Ryeowook got up and walks in the kitchen to get a glass of cold water. Heechul is sitting on the couch in the living room and feeds sleepy Yesung. Ryeowook sat down next to him and watches the baby.

 

“Wookie, you should be sleeping.”

 

Heechul watches his son who only shrugs. Ryeowook feels a bit worried, the baby is much more adorable and he could easily steal his mom’s attention. Ryeowook loves his mom even if he doesn’t go out with him.

 

“Wookie, you know I love you no matter what, but try to understand one thing. Everyone needs to find a purpose in their life and mine is to take care of someone.”

 

Ryeowook put his head on Heechul’s shoulder and sighs. He knows he is selfish but Heechul is HIS mom!

 

“Yesungie didn’t have a happy life before us, his mom was homeless. We can give him a second chance!”

 

Ryeowook hides his face in the crook of his mom’s neck and enjoys the scent which reminds him a safe home. Heechul smiles and Ryeowook’s hair.

 

“My heart is big enough for all of my boys.”

 

Heechul looks down and sees that Yesung fell asleep while holding the empty bottle and Heechul kisses Ryeowook’s cheek.

 

“I will be your mom forever.”

 

The End