Final

The Last Dance

 

 

“It’s almost time for the last dance! Hurry!”

 

Baekhyun watched as two excited girls ran past him and started heading towards one side of the huge ballroom, their heels clacking noisily against the beautiful marble floor. He had been feeling uneasy ever since the clock struck eleven, fully aware that their senior year winter formal would now be nearing its end. And boy, did it drive him crazy.

 

Taking it as his cue to leave, he stood up straight and half-ran-half-walked towards the exit doors, too eager to get away from people. Luck, however, was not on his side as he suddenly got intercepted by a giggling Soojin (a VERY pink Soojin, he dares say, not just because she’s blushing but because she’s literally wearing pink from head to toe) who wasted no time linking her arms with his. Baekhyun was terrified she’d drag him away with how tightly she was holding on to him.

 

“Let’s dance, Baekhyun-ah!” She cheerfully said while tugging on his sleeve. “Please?”

 

The only thing the poor guy could do was give an awkward, nervous laugh, before swiftly removing his limb from the girl’s vice-like grip. “Sorry, Soojin. But.. uhmm.. I uhhh,” he looked around as he rummaged for an excuse, as if expecting something or someone to magically appear and take him out of his misery. When no one did, he sighed and continued. “I’m actually just about to leave. My mom’s already outside to fetch me, and she’s not really the type who likes waiting. I’m so sorry, Soojin. Bye!”

 

Before someone else could stop him, he dashed away.

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun swears he doesn’t hate the winter formal. Truth be told, he had been quite looking forward to it just like his classmates were. The problem started one morning when their homeroom teacher, Mr. Lee, decided to tell them about the ‘Seven Mysterious Wonders’ of their school. The first one being:

 

Most couples who share the last dance during the senior winter formal end up together. Like, together-together. Married, crazily in love, happily-ever-after.

 

The other six wonders? Who knows? The teacher never got to say it after the girls in Baekhyun’s class got all giddy and started freaking out.

 

He didn’t believe a single word of it. Even Chanyeol, his best bud since their diaper days, did not believe it. And Baekhyun thought if he just kept to himself and stayed out of everybody’s way, nothing bad would happen. But two days before the winter formal, a horde of girls from their year had cornered him after gym class and asked if he would please, please, please dance the last dance with one of them. He waved it off like some silly joke and politely walked away, but when it had happened three more times in the same day, he had to recognize that they weren’t bluffing in the slightest.

 

To be fair, he knew he was easy on the eyes – what with his soft features and petite stature that makes people dote on him – but he had no idea he was this popular. These girls actually wanted to marry him. Too bad he’s already got his eyes on someone else. After declining every unwarranted invite he got, he decided the best solution would be to just not have the last dance with anyone.

 

 

 

 

“That freaking giant! Where is he when you need him? So much for being best friends,” Baekhyun grumbled once he was out of the huge ballroom. He had not stopped walking fast, realizing that the farther he stays away from the dance hall, the safer he is from having to face another invitation to waltz.

 

He was still griping to himself when he spotted someone leaning on one of the large Roman-style pillars of the hotel they were at, a champagne flute in his hand.

 

“I told you that outfit was bad news, Baek,” said the deep, velvety voice he was so familiar with. “You just made all the girls fall for you even more.”

 

As if on reflex, he inspected himself on a nearby mirror. He had went for a disheveled look tonight, his brown-blond hair fashionably messy and instead of a proper suit and tie, he had opted for a white long-sleeved button down with decorative chains hanging on them, the first few buttons undone. Not to mention his kohl-lined eyes, erasing every trace of the cute little baby duckling he really is during normal days.

 

Chanyeol was behind him in a few short strides, and Baekhyun took in the other’s appearance. In contrast to what he was wearing, his best friend was donning a crisp gray suit ensemble. He had ditched his usual loafers for a pair of sleek brown Italian leather shoes, and his usually unruly locks are now swept away from his forehead, slicked back and styled nicely. He looked like a million dollars, as if he’s headed to the set of The Bachelor instead of a high-school dance.

 

“Speak for yourself, Yeol. You almost gave the old principal a heart attack. She thought a celebrity came to attend the winter formal.”

 

Said man just laughed and grabbed his hand. “Forget about that. If we’re not going home yet, let’s check out the hotel’s rooftop garden. I heard it’s marvelous.”

 

 

The giant was not lying.

 

The garden took up the entire space of the hotel’s rooftop, with a pavilion on one side and a beautiful stone fountain set in the middle. Baekhyun happily inspected every plant and flower he could see, and then finally perched himself on the fountain edge once he got enough of it. Chanyeol sat beside him, and Baekhyun comfortably leaned his head on his shoulder. It all felt natural, like muscle memory.

 

“My feet hurt,” the smaller of the two hummed.

 

Wordlessly, Chanyeol fished something out of his suit pocket. When Baekhyun took a closer look, he realized what they were. Band-aids. The ones printed with floral patterns, his favorite.

 

He crouched down and easily took Baekhyun’s shoes off, and then proceeded to tend to the blisters that were hurting his best friend’s precious feet.

 

“I’m cold, too.”

 

Out of nowhere, Chanyeol took out a backpack (“Where the heck did that come from?” “I was carrying it with me all along! You just didn’t notice”) and produced a black Vetements hoodie. He handed it to Baekhyun, who had a wide grin on his face upon seeing the piece of clothing. He loved wearing Chanyeol’s hoodies. The other’s clothes drown him, and his hoodies reach down to his thighs and give him sweater paws, but they’re so comfortable and cozy. His mind flies back to his closet in his room, where a few of his giant best friend’s clothes lay.

 

“Don’t even think about stealing this one, puppy. You’ve already snatched some of my best ones,” Chanyeol warned when he saw Baekhyun’s expression.

 

Once the latter is all snug and warm, Chanyeol stood up and suddenly offered him his hand.

 

“I know your feet are blistered, but it would make me the happiest man in the universe if you would dance with me, Baek. Please?”

 

“I thought you said you didn’t believe in the school’s mysterious wonder?” Baekhyun teased, but reached out to take Chanyeol’s offer. They headed towards the pavilion, and once Baekhyun’s arms were around Chanyeol’s neck, and the latter’s hands are on his waist, they slowly started swaying from side to side.

 

“I still think Mr. Lee was spouting nonsense,” he admitted. “But, I’m not taking any chances. If that rumor turned out to be true, then I certainly have to make sure I’m your last dance.” Then he winked, making his dance partner smile and coo at the cuteness.

 

“Last dance or not, there’s one thing I’m sure of, Yeollie,” he paused to stand on tiptoes and give Chanyeol a quick peck on the nose. “You’re the only one I want to be my future.”

***

 

END